IMDb > "Touched by an Angel" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Touched by an Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Touched by an Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Glorious View of How We'd Like Angels To Be

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
18 November 2002

Even I resisted this program for many years. It seemed too syrupy, goofy, lovey-dovey for my self-important moods and points of views. And I had this opinion for quite a long time. I never bothered to watch one single program until last month. I think I know why.

I wasn't ready.

Now I'm ready. And what I've witnessed during these lovely hours has helped me through the most difficult time in my life.

I forgive those reviewers who cannot see past the neat and necessary one-hour resolution of each program.

I forgive those who cannot see past the reality that as much as this program presents us with a view of God and Angels...that we all still don't know everything. What we must rely on is faith and hope to give us the strength to go on with out lives when tragedy or insurmountable difficulties strike us down.

The angelic combination of actors, Roma Downey, John Dye and the legendary Della Reese give a completeness, perhaps whole roundness to these inspiring hours. Each of them brings a special and unique warmth to their roles. The addition of Valerie Bertinelli was very welcome and has brought a wonderful character of innocence and comic relief (for the sake of a better word) at the same time.

I am very thankful for this series and for the actors, directors, producers, writers and crew who have dedicated their time to bringing this to us.

If you've gotten this far in my review and you're still not convinced...I beg you give it a chance. And I pray your heart will open to the possibility of miracles in all of our lives.

Excellent series

Author: Michael Sibley
30 June 2004

Roma Downey, John Dye, and Della Reese star in the best show on television today. I especially like Roma Downey and John Dye. This was a message oriented series that deals with a different subject with each different episode they make. Seeing who will be guest starring is always a thrill like seeing Randy Travis, Bill Cosby, and others who have been gone from TV for awhile and those who are different TV shows.

I have so many favorite episodes that I have like 'Til We Meet Again' but my favorite episode is the 100th episode with guest stars Wynona and Celine Dion. I wish I could have seen more of Celine Dion and Wynona in future episodes because they were fantastic.

"Touched By An Angel" is a show that should never have gone off the air because it was a show that not only touches everyone watching it but the guest stars who have acted on it. It is as if this show has a special gift for touching and uplifting people that are surrounded by the show.

My favorite character was the 'Angel Of Death' Andrew, played by John Dye, because he just doesn't take the dying away; he makes sure the dying understand why they are going to heaven. Everybody I know that watch this show doesn't have one negative word to say about it.

"Touched By An Angel" was so touching that it made me want to do one of two things: become an angel like Monica, Tess, or Andrew, and be on the receiving end of their help.

Emotionally Charged

Author: telcontar328 from Indiana
12 June 2006

Touched by an Angel is a great show. Some of the episodes are not what I would want my little brother to see, because they are about sexual problems and situations that he doesn't need to hear about yet, but on the whole I love it, love it, love it.

The three angels are totally terrific. Tess is hilarious, Monica is lovely, and Andrew is just the sweetest, kindest, gentlest, most lovable Angel of Death you'd ever want to meet. They work together perfectly, and not only help everyone they meet but inspire almost everyone who sees the show to help others.

In the words of a boy I know who just saw the famous 100th episode--and he'd never seen any Touched by an Angel before--"Emotionally charged. It's not like the shows I usually watch, because there were no car chases or people shooting people, but... that was good." That episode has gotten other compliments--most of the people I've seen it with cried at the end. Many people say Touched by an Angel is the show that makes you cry, but always in a good way.

What a great show!

Author: Chuck Grimes from Allen, Texas, USA
10 March 2004

Touched by an Angel still ranks as one of my very favorite shows. Sure, it was a little cheesy and syrupy at times, but you knew that going in, and you watched it for the message it delivered.

But I can sum up the impact it had on me, and could have on you, in one sentence:

"It's the only TV show that regularly made me cry."

It was so good, it spawned another superb show called "Promised Land."

If you've not seen it before, then make a point to catch it re-runs. You won't regret it.

My all time favorite TV show on Television ever

Author: cabasaexpert351 from United States
27 May 2008

This was, in my opinion, the best show that was ever on television. It was a touching, heart warming show that always left you feeling good after watching it. For me, this show completely changed my life. Before watching this show I never thought much about God and Christianity but after only seeing one episode of Touched by an Angel I was not only in love with the show but also started thinking about God which resulted in me believing in God and having a relationship with God. I loved Monica, Tess, and Andrew but I have to admit I didn't much care for Gloria who joined in the late seasons. My favorite character, however, was Andrew who was the angel of death. I liked him the best because he was so caring, compassionate, and gentle that it took the fear right out of death. I will admit the show can be kind of corny at times but it has a great message and will never cease to warm your heart.

Highly Recommended Family Viewing

Author: Glades2 from Fort Lauderdale
4 November 2004

While the show has a certain degree of humor from episode to episode, the producers made the show meaningful to the problems of today's world, with each episode addressing a different and difficult topic in life's journey - ranging from gang problems to drugs to cancer to war to racism, with all giving proof in the end that God's intervention and love is always at hand for those who ask for it. Well-known American Jazz singer and actor Della Reese is well-suited in the role of Supervisory Angel Tess, while Irish-born actor Roma Downey stars in her role as Angelic case worker Monica, who is often given a helping hand from Andrew, The Angel of Death, played consistently well by American actor John Dye.

Great show!!!!

Author: Owen Leitner (orleitner@aol.com) from Elm Mott, Texas
24 August 2003

This was a great show. I have known of several people that have changed some of their bad ways and have re-joined the Church. It shouldn't take a TV show to turn people around but if that is what it takes then it is good. Some of the shows story lines were less desirable, but the final message always came through loud and clear. God loves us all. It always made me feel good. Sorry it had to go off the air, but at least we can still enjoy the story and the great message it brought.

Touched by an angel saved me

Author: laviniapike from Australia
25 April 2011

Touched by an Angel saved my life particularly the episode which had song testify to love (psalm 151). I have bad lungs that gave me a brain injury ruined my nursing career (I was a registered cancer nurse). It gave me hope to undertake my masters of teaching (primary specialization). If I have one wish it would to meet Roma and Della who inspired me. Sadly John has gone, but I will join him and God later as we all will. I paid and ordered the complete series thanks to "testify to love" episode. Bless each and every one of you, especially Roma and Della, Always God bless you both, Regards, Lavinia Pike Sandford, Tasmania, Australia.

"Death Came On Friday, Life On Sunday, But There Was A Long Very Hard Day In Between"

Author: AlanSKaufman from Chicago, Illinois
28 June 2011

The title of my review reflects a pivotal scene in the series finale of Touched By An Angel. Monica has served nine years as an angel case worker. Being evaluated for promotion to supervisor, she's given her toughest assignment in a small town where before Easter most children had died in a school explosion. Talking with the pastor of the local church subsequently abandoned by everyone, she tearfully describes the holiday in the above quote. The pastor replies that "all of us are stuck here on Saturday, aren't we?"

The paradox about the series is that despite literally presenting the existence of God and His helpers, the show was watched faithfully by nonbelievers. Each week the angels were dispatched in human form as a nurse, or a teacher, or a carpenter, or a friendly neighbor to assist in an illness, poverty, loneliness. Invariably the angel as human would fail to resolve the problem so they would finally reveal their true nature by glowing, and inform the suffering person that God loves them. At this point, numerous viewers broke into tears.

It's been said that life is tough and then you die. Thus countless people desperately want to believe in a loving God that will reward them in Heaven. The show dispensed with theological downsides, namely questioning why a loving Being would allow hardship before reaching that Heaven. Each week one was so wrapped up in the realistic portrayals of suffering that one was enraptured by the happy conclusion.

Cynics hated the sugary treatment and even some believers thought it too simplistic, especially the suicide episodes. A person pointing a gun to their head or standing over a cliff was asked by a glowing angel to put down the gun or step back from the cliff because God wanted them to live. Viewers protested that a friend or relative had killed themselves so where was their angel? The writers answered with a story where a man puts his gun down, so the joyous angel departs, except afterward hears a gunshot. Both the angel and the man's family are angry at God, but they learn the lesson that people possess free will and not even God can change their behavior.

The finale was all the more blunt, precisely playing upon the emotions of long time viewers trying to handle the show ending its weekly uplift. In this two part episode held over two nights, we were given time to absorb the fact that due to her promotion, Monica was going to be separated from her beloved teacher Tess. Consequently, she'd face the same grief as the viewers. That was the ultimate secret of the show - tapping into and sharing one's deepest feelings. True, clever preachers do that, but viewers felt the writers and actors on the show sincerely believed in their message.

Sadly, the finale mirrored life too well. Monica and Tess are indeed gone. Perhaps you have experienced brief encounters with people who appear "angelic" - such as a benevolent stranger offering a kind word or deed. But they disappear and you are left only with memories.

To refresh those memories, I repeatedly watch the finale on DVD. As with all good art, it provides an escape from life's Fridays and Saturdays. If you are fortunate enough to actually experience Sundays, consider yourself truly blessed, that is, touched by an angel.

I don't believe in Angel or God BUT...

Author: yojimbo999 from Earth
16 September 2001

...I have to admit, every time I accidentally turn into this show (re: I never intentionally seek it out, but always run across it while channel surfing) I always leave it on. Now, mind you, I have very little faith in the existence of God or, God forbid (natch), angels, I can't help but feel a little, well..."touched" at the end of every episode. I've seen about a half dozen episode in all the years it's been on, and it is a worthwhile show. You would have to be completely fanatical about the NON-existence of God and angels to hate this show, since it doesn't offend, but just tries to offer good thoughts.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]