Riget (TV Mini-Series 1994–1997) Poster

One of my favorites...
Katatonia14 September 2003
The Kingdom (Riget I) is quite simply a classic work of modern cinema. It's creepy, it's funny, it's emotional...and so much more. It grabs the viewer and does not let go until the end of each episode. Then, you want to view the next episode right away! It is like a great book which keeps you turning the pages one after another, after another...

I first saw The Kingdom on video and was blown away by the odd characters and the peculiar script of ideas. The story gets even more bizarre and twisted in Riget II, which has never been officially released in North America...but is available as an import for those interested. The full series is something I feel the urge to view again on a regular basis. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I've owned four subsequent editions on VHS and DVD. The official released 4-DVD import set from Denmark is the best, containing the full uncut versions of Riget 1 & 2.

The choice of the actors and actresses turned out perfect for the series, it is these performances that make The Kingdom work so flawlessly well. Ernst-Hugo Järegård & Kirsten Rolffes are the two most memorable roles in the series, and it is sad that they've both passed away. This is unfortunate as there would have been a Riget III to finish off the complete tales of The Kingdom, according to the words of Von Trier at least. It looks like that a Part 3 will never happen though, since two of the best leads of the project are gone forever.

The way The Kingdom was filmed has a stylish look that is very organic, believable, and creepy when it needs to be. They tried many things to get a deliberate "dirty look" for the series, and I think they hit the mark dead on.

Stephen King also happens to be a fan of The Kingdom, and is currently working on a longer North American version of the series. I've heard it will be fully over 20 hours, but that could be just a wild rumor. I am skeptical that this will work, but we'll just have to wait and see what it's like. Perhaps Part 3 of the story will finally get completed in this version. I'm sure I will always enjoy Von Trier's original the most, but it would be nice simply to know how the unfinished story of Part 3 evolves and is concluded...
66 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite possibly the best TV series ever
MrVibrating25 December 2006
Von Trier's Riget is his playground. It's fun watching and you can sense it was fun making. The cast all give top-notch performances, which is rare if there is only money involved. The directing is inspired and ambitious and best of all, it works, hand camera and all.

Riget is also a tour-de-force for Ernst-Hugo, a man who left my home town in his youth never to return. His cynical, out-of-his depth, partly incompetent and totally danophobic Swede Stig-Helmer is one of the funniest and best-played characters I've ever seen. He dominates every scene he's in, and his monologues on top of the hospital are priceless.

The rest of the cast do their best to overshine Jähregård, and they're not far behind. Krogshöj, Stig-Helmers nemesis, is really memorable, with a really unsettling gaze. Fru Drusse, played by Kirsten Rolffes, is another great character, utterly believable and also very funny. Then there's Bulder, Rigmor, the incompetent hospital director Moesgaard and his love-sick medical-student son, the mongoloid dish-washers, the elderly gentlemen of the secret society, and so on and so on.

The plot is a simple ghost hunt thing, nothing special. It's the quirks and the characters that move Riget forward. In four hours time, not a lot has happened on a larger scale, but you will still be sorting through all the details.

Riget is the concrete evidence that the Danish movie culture is superior to the Swedish. One can only hope we will ever produce something as great as this.
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
shierfilm24 September 2002
Few films have had me in their grip as von Trier's THE KINGDOM. Difficult to describe in words. Basically a horror epic that takes you to a hospital that no self-respecting human would set foot in. The camerawork is a real feat of genius. Why? Well, for such jerky movement to hold my attention for 4 AND ONE HALF HOURS I have nothing but admiration.

And it made me want to see Part II immediately after! Come to think of it, if Lars wanted to, he could have made it a week long marathon and I would have forgone sleep to see it's conclusion! Bring me buckets of espresso and bags of sugar! I ain't goin' anywhere.........
48 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Be prepared to take the Good, with the Evil…
jonathandoe_se7en8 July 2001
Lars Von Trier perfects his dogme style with this fascinating Horror satire about a haunted, bizarre hospital. I watched both this and `The Kingdom II' back-to-back over one night and I must say the six hours just flew by. I've never had so much fun watching a television series before. Every thing was brilliant, the casting and sepia toned style helped give a reality of the situation and a labyrinthine theme to the hospital itself. All the actors were wonderful and totally believable. I hope they make more episodes soon; I'm hooked...
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great work of darkly-comic TV horror, mystery and suspense
Graham Greene20 May 2008
At the time of seeing both the first series of The Kingdom (1994) and then later the second series (1997) the only films of Lars von Trier that I was familiar with were Breaking the Waves (1996) and Dancer in the Dark (2000). Certainly, I would rate both of these particular films incredibly well, however, after having seen some of von Trier's other films - such as his earlier, self-referential masterworks The Element of Crime (1984) and Europa (1991), and his more confrontational films The Idiots (1997) and Dogville (2003) - I can begin to better appreciate the context of which The Kingdom fits into his career as a whole.

Really, The Kingdom is a transitional work between the visually elaborate and enigmatic films that made up the bulk of his work from 1983-1991, and the second, more celebrated phase of his career that saw the drafting of the Dogme 95 manifesto and the more minimal, forward thinking films of the last ten years. On the one hand, The Kingdom shows the early influence of Dogme with the use of hand-held cinematography and multi-camera cross-cutting, as well as the use of actual locations and the more naturalistic elements of the performances. Nevertheless, at the same time it brings to mind ideas familiar from The Element of Crime and the earlier self-reflexive, meta-textual horror/satire of Epidemic (1988), with the references to ghosts, death and an all encompassing, age-old evil. However, unlike any of his work for cinema - which often has a broader intent and more rigid sense of experimentation - The Kingdom is meant, first and foremost, as a work of pure entertainment. There's none of the more obvious sense of cinematic experimentation, polemic or emotional manipulation used so skilfully in his feature-length work, with the story instead relying on great characters, moments of absurd or entirely deadpan humour, and a continual sense of mystery and suspense.

The Kingdom II picks up where the first series left off, and yes, it is vital that you see the first series before embarking on the second or you'll have no idea what is going on! Basically, it's more of the same, albeit it, much funnier than the first and with more violence. The ghosts - as you should remember from the first series - are now free to take a greater precedence over the plot, as Mrs Drusse fights her own illness, teetering on the brink of life and death but still trying to discover the secrets of the hospital. Elsewhere, von Trier regular, the late Ernst-Hugo Järegård, returns as the malevolent Dr Helmer, who becomes even more of a central figure to the proceedings as Dr. Moesgaard is forced into therapy. The real treasure of the cast however is Udo Kier, who not only returns as the evil Aage Krüger, but also as Little Brother, Judith's deformed baby, and spiritual brother to the tormented Mary Jenson.

Because at least three of the principal actors have died since the completion of the second series, the question is; will there ever be an end? The last episode ends, much like the final episode to the first series, with a cliff-hanger. Lars' intention was that there would be a third series, making the Kingdom an effective trilogy. However, the plan has no doubt been scrapped given the loss of lead performers. Although neither instalment of the series offers any kind of ultimate closure, they still offer a great deal of entertainment; with the bold and atmospheric direction of von Trier and his assistant Morten Arnfred creating tension, terror and an eerie atmosphere that complements the dark aspects of the series perfectly.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best horror movies ever!
sumez7 April 2001
To me, this was the production that made Lars von Trier stand out as an extraordinary movie director and the movie, that finally pushed the Danish movie scene in the right direction!

It sort of founded the modern Danish dogma/dogme inspired movie style with its grainy colours, rash use of cutting and camera movement as well as strange, yet very realistic acting. All used to develop the perfect atmosphere around a good horror movie! There is just one thing you must remember when watching Riget/The Kingdom. It is a movie. It is entertainment. It is no comedy, yet nothing in the movie is serious. It uses sick and sometimes just weird ways of building up the horror. It doesn't have to make sense.

A lot of people may not like this because it is typically Danish, which may easily frustrate anyone who is only used to high budget Hollywood movies. The not-so-obvious deeper meaning between the lines as well as all the bold and underlined lines that have no meaning at all could confuse certain minds, but if you are prepared for a bunch of self-irony and sweet horror scenes, and if you like writers/directors such as David Lynch and Chris Carter, you are going to love this!

It is nice to see that mentally freaked out horror movies didn't die out with The Exorcist, and this definitely isn't any worse!
38 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cannot give this any more praise
AdFin16 December 2001
Acclaimed director Lars Von Trier came to Riget (The Kingdom) after the failure of his film Europa (1991) and some trouble with his personal life, weather these contrasting elements had anything to do with the set up of the story of the Kingdom is unknown, but it might explain the playfulness of the film. This was the first time that von Trier would use the documentary-style approach he continued in his Dogme film The Idiots (1998) and with this project it worked wonders at enriching the source material with a certain satire. We except straight away that these bizarre occurrences are actually happening in the largest hospital in Denmark (The Kingdom of the title) and we have no reason to doubt it. As well as visual style, the characterisation is also good, Von Trier and fellow writers Tomas Gíslason and Niels Vørsel understand that we need to be interested in the characters of a TV show if we are to follow them for the duration of the series, and the characters in The Kingdom are no exception. We have at the focus of the action Dr Helmer played by the late Ernst-Hugo Järegård, a Swede with a troubled past who despises the hospital and it's practices, his recurring catchphrase "Bloody Danes" is a memorable addition to the proceedings. But more importantly is the character of Mrs Drusse (Kirsten Rolffes), the Ms Marple type character who's strange visions of the ghostly young Mary set the ball rolling. All of the actors are perfectly cast and have a great time mixing the surreal horror with the more comedic moments. Having seen both series of the Kingdom, I would say that series two is much better, perhaps because by this time we have a better grasp on the characters, but that by no way means that series one isn't just as good, let's not forget just how important a stepping stone it is. With this one Von Trier and co-director Morten Arnfred created a modern TV masterpiece. 10/10
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disturbing, fascinating, sharp biting black humor...I loved it!
KimInKentucky1 April 2004
I reached the end of this and I was almost shouting "No, no, no, NO! It cannot end here! There are too many unanswered questions! The engagement of the dishwashers? Mona's disappearance? Helmer's comeuppance? The "zombie"? Was Little Brother saved by his father? And what about the head???????" ARGH!! Then I read that at least two of the cast members had passed on and I have to say, I know it probably wouldn't be true to Lars von Trier's vision, but I would gladly look past replacement actors just to see the ending he had planned! Granted, it would be hard to find someone to play Helmer as the character deserves. Helmer, the doctor you love to hate! I think I have yet to see a more self-absorbed, oblivious, self-righteous character on screen! But, I could overlook a change in actors....I just have to know how it ends!
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Poltergeist" meets "The Hospital"
KFL25 January 2002
Actually, Bill Murray said it best in Tootsie: "This is one *nutty* hospital"

Try to imagine a Danish hybrid of Spielberg's "Poltergeist" and the George C. Scott black comedy "The Hospital", with hints of "Rosemary's Baby" and the camp humor of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" thrown in. A really bizarre trip, alternating between seriousness and biting humor, with crazy camera angles and sepia-colored cinematography.

Among other things, you'll be feted with a severed head as a valentine; an initiation ritual involving an onion and a sharp knife; seances in the geriatric ward; Haitian voodoo and zombies; girl-ghosts in elevator shafts; a pathologist who has a diseased liver transplanted into his own body; an administrator who hides under his desk to avoid greeting important guests; and a belligerent Swede who ends each episode by waving his fists in the air and shouting "DANISH SCUM!!" ...in other words, be sure your sense of humor and appreciation of the bizarre are intact when you rent this, and don't expect a dramatic masterpiece. (It is, after all, a soap opera)
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
genre crossing comedy
freizeitpark14 April 2001
I first saw riget at a local theater. What was amazing was that after more than for hours every one in the audience wanted to see more (at least after a short cigarette break). However, this highly entertaining work which was, as far as I know, produced for TV is not a horror series. This is neither th X-files nor has it anything to do with friday the 13th. Sure, there are some gothic elements but it is rather a romantic ghost story. To me, it is more astonishing how easily von Trier and his great writers manage to combine several different genres. First of all this is a hospital series, different strands, none of which you would see in emergency room. The different stories meet perfectly at a hilarious finale. The main character is a swedish doctor whose scream of despair ("Dänischer Abschaum" in German, something like Danish scum) is a main event in every episode. The description of the freemason-like organization of the doctors is as brilliant as the parody of scientific ambition represented by a doctor who does some extraordinary things with his liver. Watch it, it`s great fun, but don`t expect a horror movie. In my opinion this is the best of von Triers works, because it`s the least ambitious.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Visually impressive and very stylish
wbhickok25 July 2001
It would be an understatement to say that this film will not be for all tastes. The storyline has been delved into enough so I really can't add any more to it. I will say though that the woman who plays Mrs. Drusse does an excellent job, the actor who plays Stig the pompous Swede is a real horses ass, whom you hate, but laugh at at the same time, and the telepathic dishwashers (who apparently have downs syndrome or an other similar condition) are effectively chilling. I agree with the reviewer who asked why American television can't be like this. A well done work.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why can't American television be like this?
Ezreal10 June 1999
The closest that American television has even come close to "The Kingdom" was the recent Stephen King mini-series "Storm of the Century." Still, even this was nowhere near as engaging as this Danish mini-series. Practically none of this would ever get through through censors here.

Loopy hospital drama, restless spirits, an incubus, Voodoo... it's all here, it all makes perfect sense and it is a series that leaves one screaming for more when it ends (I will be scouring this city for "The Kingdom II" before the week is over). I won't ruin a bit of it, other than to say the closing scene shocked me so much that my original critical summery cannot be printed here. Truly amazing film-making, and definitely a glimpse of what television could be without all the censors and constant pandering to the lowest common denominator.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent and unusual. Hilarious and creepy.
tenten7630 August 2002
I'm not overly familiar with Lars Von Triers' other work, and when I saw the very drab style of this boring-looking hospital, and its very plain sounding dialogue I thought I'd made a mistake.. ..then the humour started coming through, and I've got to say - this is one of the wittiest (and often deadpan) scripts I have ever seen/heard. The jibes and asides are priceless, especially the whole Morning Air thread, and you quickly get a good sense of the individual characters and their personalities.

It's also very soon (from the first scene I think?) that you get a sense of something else going on. Something supernatural, and not altogether happy.

And acting almost as narrators, there are two very strange Downs-Syndrome dishwashers (a young man and a woman - strange because they seem to know what's going to happen, not because they've got Downs!).

So, you are quickly drawn into a brilliant mix of professional squabbles, malpractice, unethical operations, romance - and creepy ghost story. In the last (fifth) episode, it all starts to get really sinister, and the end scene is a combination of a completely hilarious tour throughout the hospital, followed immediately by a completely macabre and sinister climax to one of the other plotlines - and an abrupt ending (as with all the previous episodes).

It leaves you with a mind-boggling set up for the second series, which I will now have to try and find..

I'm just surprised this series hasn't (as far as I know) been earmarked for a English-language remake, or even a showing on Channel 4..?
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Death, demons and Danes
teje26 April 1999
I had seen Riket, part one, some years ago and wasn't disappointed by the sequel, even though it was, if possible, even more twisted and gory. The hospital setting is familiar to all of us. We've seen General Hospital or E.R. There is something about hospitals that appeal to us: life and death, everyday drama and doctors with fate in their hands. And we all love a good ghost story. And together the two, hospitals and ghosts, become a terrific combination. It scares the hell out the viewer -but in the nice kind of way. Because deep down we know that it's all make believe. Von Trier has made a full blown "Dogma-95" (no special effects, no lights, everything is tinted yellow and the handy cam seems to be managed by someone having an epileptic fit) and that way it all becomes even more scary. There is also the conflict between the Swedish doctor who's (wants to be) efficient and rational and the lazy, beer guzzling Danish orderlies and confused doctors. They are caricatures that we love to see, at least us Swedes and Danish. So if you can, rent the video and turn out the lights, arm yourself with a pillow to hide behind when it gets too scary and enjoy!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best film of the 90's?
enicholson7 December 2000
A great film about a haunted hospital. What more can you ask for?

I was utterly stunned after I saw this film. It's over four hours long and I found myself at the video store the next day pleading with one of the clerks to help me find The Kingdom 2. Alas, part 2 is not available yet on video in the U.S.

The Kingdom is creepy, very funny, unexpectedly suspenseful, completely outrageous and heartbreaking. It's been called ER on acid, which is not a bad description, though I think it's also a bit like The Sixth Sense on nitric oxide.

Some might complain that the effects are a bit low budget. That's like complaining that football is still played in the rain. The Kingdom is for true cinephiles.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wildly inventive supernatural soap opera.
Infofreak28 December 2001
I am becoming fascinated with Lars von Trier. After seeing 'Zentropa', 'Breaking the Waves' and 'The Idiots', each movie different from the last, and each a minor masterpiece. Now I've watched another piece in the puzzle of his career, the fantastic (in all meanings of the word!) mini-series 'The Kingdom', and I'm once again hugely impressed! I can't think of any contemporary American or British director with his range or inventiveness.

'The Kingdom' concerns a large and sophisticated Danish hospital which is being haunted by ghosts. The doctors who work there are an eccentric bunch at the best of times, and things get progressively weirder. 'The Kingdom' successfully juggles humour, mystery, horror, soap opera and surrealism in a way not seen since 'Twin Peaks'. I found it to be compulsive viewing and can't wait to get my hands on the sequel, which sadly is nowhere to be found in Australia.

'The Kingdom' I'm sure will one day be regarded as a television classic. It's THAT good. I loved it, and hopefully you will too. Hats off to von Trier!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Utterly amazing. Terrifying, surreal, and then...hilarious
Eric5 January 2004
You'll never see such an amazing spectacle. At approximately 4+ hours if rented (the whole mini series), it leaves you wanting even more. The film is shot in an over-exposed reddish-brown, and is filled with everything. Surreal terror, brilliant humor, incredible characters. It reminded me something of a cross between David Lynch's Twin Peaks series and Kubrick's version of Stephen King's "The Shining". Just incredible. Take a nice, long evening and watch it start to finish for the best effect, you won't be disappointed!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's a wild ride for four and a half hours
Bob Angilly (staffba3)14 March 2003
The Kingdom (1994) is a four-part miniseries directed for Danish TV by Lars von Trier (Zentropa), and released theatrically in the U.S. It has a very large cast and an even larger plot concerning strange happenings at Denmark's largest state hospital (where it was filmed). There is a mysterious ambulance which pulls up nightly in front of the ER and then promptly vanishes, a villainous Swedish brain surgeon trying to cover up evidence of his own malpractice, and an elderly patient searching the halls and elevators for the ghost of a young girl. Another doctor secretly lives in the basement and runs a black market redirecting hospital supplies to where they are most needed. There are secret societies, and severed heads, and a pair of dishwashers who serve as a Greek chorus anticipating each turn in the plot, even though they have no contact with the rest of characters. I've seen several descriptions of this film as "ER meets Twin Peaks" but there is also the black comedy of M*A*S*H, the surrealism of Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective, the sloppy hand-held camera work of Homicide and the absurdist nightmare of Lindsay Anderson's Britannia Hospital. The film was shot in 16mm, transferred to video for editing, and finally transferred back to 35mm film which creates a brown tone grainy effect, which combined with the unsteady hand held camera work--which makes it seem at times like the film was shot on board a ship during a storm--give the film a dreamlike quality. It's a wild ride for four and a half hours, and many of the plots are left unresolved at the end of the fourth episode. New episodes were released in 1997 and these were compiled into the sequel Riget II.
My favorite of all time
paulingv8 November 2002
I saw both Riget 1 and 2 in two days and thought they were fantastic, especially the first one. These movies have everything and have been made almost like a soap-opera. I don't want to tell anything about them, but see both of them and be open minded. You gotta love the Swedish head doctor (Stig Helmer). Too bad the actor playing him (Ernst-Hugo Järregaard) is dead and von Trier is refusing to make Riget 3. I hope he changes his mind.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A must-see for anyone who enjoyed the first
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews27 June 2006
Wow... 5 more hours of Riget. Lars continues the great combination of occult, dark horror and soap-opera drama. Picking up exactly where the last episode of the previous series left off(complete with the same high intensity and suspense, though that doesn't last; for better or worse), this installation in the franchise seems somewhat more bent on haste... in the last series, there seemed to pass a day or a week between each episode, whereas in this, it clearly is one long stretch... where one episode ends, the next begins. A lot can be said about Lars von Trier... but he is very diverse and pretty eccentric. Both qualities show in this. The plot continues its excellence, now giving a few regular characters that were minor players in the previous four episodes more attention. Basically every character from the first returns, at least as far as the main roles go. The pacing isn't as sharp as in the first part, and I found myself less gripped by this one. That is not in any kind of way to say that this didn't involve me, though... I still found myself constantly watching, and at several points reacting strongly, often out loud, to what was going on(extremely unusual behavior for me, as I am an incredibly silent person), as I also was during the first. Like the first, this also brings up some loaded ethical questions. Building on the foundation from the first, this brings the story further... and being a sequel, the scope is also bigger. Grander. More spirits, more bizarre occurrences, more subplots. The strong graphic material of the first also returns, and it's been kicked up a notch. The characters are developed further. The acting is amazing, as that of the first. Udo Kier solidifies his immense talent, to anyone who doubted it. Playing a very difficult character(anyone who has seen the first series can most likely figure out what I mean) *and* acting in a language he didn't speak(he was later dubbed)... and still handing in such a strong performance. The cinematography remains great, and is still very hand-held, with rapid zooms and the occasional long take. The editing is sharp, with a few direct cuts in sound(though these were more prominent in the first). Now, with all that said, I would really like to be able to rate this a perfect 10... or at least just under, like the first four episodes. I truly enjoyed watching, and I don't regret it in the least. But this does have shortcomings... the ones the first part had and more. As the first, the humor just takes up too much space... and this time around, it's even worse. There are several new regular characters that are there for no other reason than to provide comic relief... three of them, no less. Scenes are set up and executed for no other reason than to make the audience laugh. Fine for a comedy, but what is it doing in such a dark and unpleasant, yes, nothing short of sadistic at times, horror piece? Helmer's solitary secret hiding place of solitude is changed from the hospital roof... from which he could see his beloved Sweden... to a bathroom. With an angle from inside the bowl. No, you read that right. In general, the humor seems more low-brow... more sex and bodily function jokes, which, again, begs the question "Why?". Whilst most of the writing is excellent, some of it is downright dire. Several scenes are basically copied from the first mini-series(one would guess due to their popularity when it aired). At times, the drama seems a bit more bombastic than that of the first, and it jumps too much at times. Fortunately seldom, but still noticeably, plot points and items are explained away too easily(a certain character living in Denmark for no apparent reason, for example... anyone who's seen it knows who I'm speaking of). The two dishwashers, while still mysterious and insightful, become too much of a gimmick... too overexposed, in the end, I guess. Most of the scenes with them are still enjoyable, though. In addition to that, I want to reassure any reader of this that in spite of all the negative things I have just written that this is still mostly good... definitely enjoyable, compelling, powerful... and in my humble opinion, it should definitely be seen by anyone who liked the first(though if belong in that group; do not expect to feel that the story is finished after watching this any more than you did after the first). I recommend this to any fan of Lars von Trier and anyone who enjoyed the first Riget and wants more where that came from. I urge anyone who's even considering watching this to make sure you've seen all of the first before you do... I bought this before I bought the first, but I held out on watching until I had bought the first and watched that, and I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. Though this features a brief summary of the events in the first, there are an immense amount of details and aspects that you would miss out on if you didn't see it before watching this. Slightly lesser sequel, but definitely still one to watch if you liked the first. 8/10
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A masterpiece !
nostalgic-111 April 2008
The original Kingdom is so superior to its American version ... In fact , there's no comparison ! I love this mini-series , it is so atmospheric and macabre . Well , I guess " bizarre " is the best adjective to describe it . It made me feel the same way I did when I was a kid watching classic horror movies , a feeling that I had never felt before with modern flicks . Stephen King's version , on the other hand , is sooo dull and not creepy at all . It is so boring that I gave up watching it after the second episode ! Don't get me wrong , I really love Stephen King's movies , but he truly failed in his version of " The Kingdom " .
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
After Dekalog, Riget is the greatest miniseries ever.
Suomi_perkele7 October 2006

An arrogant Swedish doctor Stig Helmer has a new job in a hospital in Copenhagen that they call "Riget" or in English "the Kingdom". It was build on an old swamp and a gate hell is opening slowly. Things creepy as hell are starting to happen and everything isn't right in "Riget". Once you jump into Riget's world - you'll can't stop loving it.

Lars von Trier truly is a genius. Not many people can put so much stuff in one hour. The mystery, the horror, the drama and the comedy in Riget are really something completely different. Acting is great. The mood is fantastic. The "expressionless" comedy of von Trier's mastermind reminds me a lot of the Finnish comedy, except I've never liked Finnish stuff so much as Riget. Riget walks behind other master - David Lynch, but still stands by itself. Well I really can't but it into words - watch Riget and you'll see something you'll never see again. Well, I'm speechless. The greatest Nordic TV-show ever and one the greatest all over the world. I'm proud to be Nordic. Now - when will we Finnish have Riget in DVD? I could buy Danish import which has Finnish subtitles but it would be a real culture act to publish Riget in Finland. Then more people could watch this masterpiece.

Extremely highly recommended.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lars, hurry with Part 3!
John Seal9 July 1999
This terrific sequel to The Kingdom maintains and develops all the bizarre subplots of the first series. The acting is uniformly excellent and Von Trier continues to surprise and confound the viewer. You'll be howling for more as the Falcon takes his final flight...or is it???
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Series Ever!!
sandspider110 February 2004
This is the best series ever directed by the great Lars von Trier. I have got the 4 disc boxset containing both The Kingdom 1 and 2 and it is one of the best DVDs I have got. I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to pick it up. Fans of von Trier should definitely see this as it similar to some of his other work such as the camera work and the yellowish tinge that the scenes have. The only downside is that both series are inconclusive nonetheless it is very entertaining with some frightening moments. Watch it.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this