IMDb > "ReBoot" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"ReBoot"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"ReBoot" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Smart, action-packed, and a lot of the time, pretty hilarious!

Author: StayinFrosty from Ontario, Canada
30 June 2004

ReBoot takes place in the city of Mainframe, representing the inside of a computer. The characters' speech reflects this with words and expressions like: random (crazy), basic (stupid), deleted or nullified (killed), and there was a time Enzo realized he should've "copied and pasted the truth"! Characters include binomes (citizens shaped like numbers, usually 1s and 0s), sprites (more human-like) and viruses (usually villains).

It features many inside jokes and references from Indiana Jones to Sailor Moon. In one episode, after the disappearance of several people, Fax Modem and Data Nully come to investigate (Fox Mulder and Dana Scully from The X-Files. Gillian Anderson actually voiced the latter). There is also a brief scene of Modem deciding between postcards for Los Angeles and Vancouver, mirroring David Duchovny's involvement in moving X-Files production from Vancouver to L.A. (ReBoot is produced by Vancouver's Mainframe Entertainment). Another local reference was a truck with "Two Small Sprites with Big CPUs" printed on the side. I'm told there is a local Vancouver moving company called "Two Small Men with Big Hearts".

An important part of the show is the games, which appear as cubes dropped from above by "the user". If characters enter these games to play against the user, losing means deletion for them and damage for the city. Genres in the games reflect the wide range of real-life video games and spoof everything from Mad Max to Evil Dead ("Malicious Corpses") to Austin Powers!

I particularly enjoyed the references to "BS'nP" that showed up a few times. This is a facetious acronym for ABC's "Broadcast Standards & Practices". Examples include Enzo firing a rocket launcher only to find it fires an inflatable raft with "BSnP approved" stamped on the side; and the Small Town Binomes (Village People) performing "Living with BSnP" ("It's fun to play in the non-violent way!"). Originally seen on ABC and YTV, it was cancelled by the former after the 2nd season. YTV continued to air the show (still does as of this writing!) and, being free from ABC's BS&P censorship, ReBoot could now deal with more mature themes. This was an improvement in the eyes of many. Following a hiatus, the 3rd season also showed a dramatic change in the graphical quality (more detail, shadows, etc.), due to advances in technology.

Another long hiatus followed the 3rd season but ReBoot came back with two feature-length movies: Daemon Rising and My Two Bobs (or 8 new episodes). The second ended with a cliff-hanger so I'm hopeful we haven't seen the last of ReBoot.

Amazing

Author: layer8 from Ontario, Canada
29 December 2002

It's 1994. I'm 11 years old, riding on a bus with my mom. I look around at all the advertisements, and one catches my eye. ReBoot. After all these years, I can still remember the tagline: "In Mainframe, no one dies. They are erased."

Of course, back then I had no idea what exactly ReBoot was. But from the moment I saw Megabyte in "The Tearing" some weeks later, I knew this would be one of my favorite shows.

I was fascinated by the computer animation, seeing that the computer we had at the time was a 386SX. That's what initially got me hooked. The show aptly filled the role of a "cartoon", but I could also see that it was much more than that. As the show progressed the characters became more real, more defined. Even then, I had a nasty habit of pointing out inconsistencies in TV shows, but ReBoot performed admirably in this area. The stories were never boring, and often cleverly incorporated details from earlier episodes. All the loose ends (the web, the twin cities, Lost Angles, Dot's father, etc.) that I feared would never be explained, were.

As the fun-adventures-of-the-moment turned into the dark, painful struggles of season 3, I was completely mesmerised, and felt for the characters as if they were real, and then rejoiced when everything turned out alright at the end. Very few presentations on either the big or small screen have ever elicited such a strong reaction from me.

In every sense, ReBoot was a great show. The characters, the plots, the visuals, it was all amazing. I'm only sorry season 4 ended on such a cliffhanger. More episodes, I say!

5 out of 5 stars.

Works on many levels.

Author: (thomaswrobel@hotmail.com) from UK
25 October 2003

Reboot is truely unique. Not only was it the first CGI cartoon, it was also one of the first "kids programs" to actualy have proper plots, on going story lines and decent dialogue.

Seasons 1 and 2 were good enough, have strong techical merity and are packed with original ideas.

But Seasons 3+ is where the series really takes off. Clever storys, great action sequences, non-stop parodys and referances...it really is amazing.

Some of the referances are obvious (Stargate, Blues Brothers,Gilbert and Suilvan) but others are subtle (are you being served).

The charecters truely have depth to them, even the 'evil' ones. Particularly Season 4, which probably has one of the most unique nemisis's ever created.

I could go on talking about it all day, but i wont.

Simple watch it if its on!

Especialy if its either of the TV movies that make up season 4.

Deamon Rising (4.1-4.4) My Two bobs (4.5-4.8)

Deamon Rising, v4.1-v4.4 is my personal favorate.

I love this show.

Author: maxvaughn from Arizona, USA/Hull, England
29 March 2002

I confess, I am a Reboot junky. I have no clue why I like this show, considering that I'm opposed to the over-used element of CGI in animation today, yet something about Reboot keeps my attention. When I first started watching, I was still in Elementary school and I liked being able to name all the movies the show was doing parodies of. A few years passed and I forgot about it, until the re-runs aired on Cartoon Network. Then, the plot/new episodes became more dramatic and I couldn't stop watching! The characters are likable and the battle between virus and guardians is a great hook. Someone once said, "Reboot is what Tron should have been".

Detractors are missing the point -- this is the best animated art ever on TV!

Author: Alan Deikman (Alan-40) from Fremont, CA
22 May 1999

The original premise is simple and somewhat lighthearted. What would it be like to live INSIDE a video game, where you were the one of the entities that had to deal with the "user," who lives outside? That kind of plotline, and that this is a cartoon marketed to kids, is bound to win quick dismissal from many of those looking for "serious" fiction and perhaps that is justified. But Reboot is far more than that.

Recall how the old WB and other cartoons -- those that were originally "short" features in movie houses before most people had color TV -- were carefully scripted to appeal at multiple levels. The adults would get the sly humor and the kids would be beguiled by the cartoon action. That exists in Reboot to the extent that you can videotape each episode, watch it ten times, and still not catch everything there. A subtle expression on Dot's face or a background event shows stunning attention to detail. Don't cheat yourself out of not watching this!

I agree! Great!

Author: bigsleepj from Captain Nemo's Submarine
26 November 2001

Reboot is REALLY the best TV series. Beast Wars had a decent story line and setting through the entire series, but individual episodes had lots to be desired; ill conceived concoction of questionable outings that I am certain I have have seen before.

Yet with Reboot you dont know what you get.

Also it's filled with In-jokes and puns. Characters with names like "Dot Matrix." References to pop-culture ;there is a guy dressed like "Where's Waldo", one like Indiana Jones and once a woman who resembled a certain pregnant female sherrif from Brainard, North Dekota.

Hillarious.

But the series also have a dark side which becomes prominent during the third season. It is not as sophisticated as Beast Machines, Action Man or other MAINFRAME prodcutions, but is still great, even though it's showing its age.

A landmark for many other future television series to compare to

Author: tyguy_104 from Regina, Saskatchewan
9 October 2002

Reboot was simply an epic.

The first notorious GCI animated series, deserves nothing more than that. However, Reboot showed a great plot and great characters, not to mention excellent timing for comedic relief from each character throughout each show.

Each season the series developed and evolved into newer and deeper episodes. The third season, really contrasted against the more simplistic approach of the first one.

If you were to watch any episode try one from the beginning, I believe these are the best. It is evident that a lot of time was placed into the story and characters. I mean what a great idea: Inside a computer, with game cubes falling and two viruses, one intellectual and the other chaotic also to cause problems for the citizens of mainframe.

In the end, Reboot didn't gain the success as overly popular titles like the simpsons. Probably because it was aimed to a lower age group, but I think even adults would enjoy this show.

Like I said before, series in the future aiming for this genre will have to compare themselves to Reboot. I mean, Beasties did, and that was great also.... but that's another story all together.

One of the best children's shows ever made.

Author: cathylovesmovies from Australia
4 January 2006

Recently I rediscovered ReBoot while I cleaned my house. It had been my favourite television program when I was younger, and I was eager to watch the tape full of recorded episodes that I had just found.

I discovered, while watching it, that ReBoot is not merely any old children's show.

It's set in a computer system called Mainframe, and the heroes of the show (called Sprites) battles computer viruses, games (sent by "the user") and other things that you would find in a computer.

This is a truly excellent show. It was the first series to be completely computer animated and the most cutting edge technology available at the time was used.

The thing I love about ReBoot is that the entire plot of the series is so original. Clearly the producers let their imaginations run wild, while still using true computer facts within the story. As the fun-loving computer geek that I am, I absolutely loved the computer jargon sprinkled into in each episode. And all the parodies they've done - from the X-Files to Pirates of Penzance - are fantastic and funny.

Although the first and second seasons were restricted by ABC ratings, the third season was definitely darker, and the plots more in-depth.

Reboot has come along way since 1994, and it's a shame that it's all over. I would've loved to see where they picked up after the two telemovies left off.

All in all, ReBoot is a pioneer for computer animation. Absolutely classic TV.

Way better than "BeastWars"

Author: culwin
13 November 1999

The computer animation in this is incredible, and way better than "Beast Wars" in my opinion. Actually, "Beast Wars" is really awful in my opinion. But this is about ReBoot - a great kids show with lots of "in jokes". Especially if you are a computer geek, you will get a lot of the computer references. But ReBoot spoofs everything from "Star Trek", to "The Pirates of Penzance" to "Army of Darkness", making it great for adults, as well as kids. Things really started to pick up speed when Enzo "grew up", everyone on the show got more personality, and the show got a much darker feel. Unfortunately, Mainframe Ent. ended the show in the 3rd season and won't be making anymore (with the way the show ended I don't think they could if they wanted to), so if you want to see anymore from Mainframe you will just have to watch Beast Wars (don't though).

A GREAT SHOW

Author: solidsnake8706 from usa
2 September 2000

Once in a while, a really great show will come along. This is one of the them.

The show is about people who live inside computers. The sprites, binomes, and guardians do battle with viruses, code masters, and many other computer associated enemies.

The first season and part of the second had simpler plots, goofy sound effects, corny jokes, and very mild violence. But as the show went on, the show got more complex, the goofy sound effects disappeared, the jokes were funnier, and the action increased. Also, there are many inside jokes on the show that you should look for.

The episodes of the later seasons will keep you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see what will happen next. This is also a unique cartoon because as the show went on, the characters CHANGED.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]