IMDb > "My Brother and Me" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Classic, I want it on DVD

Author: RoosterCogburn from Pittsburgh
21 January 2004

My brother and me is one the finest works of art i have ever seen. I was suprised when it didnt bring home and emmy's. Im hoping for a release of a season one, commemorative, collectors edition DVD set. I can't believe this masterpiece was cancelled after one season.

Some people look down upon My brother and me. But not I. The actors portrayals of Alfie and DeeDee as well as Goo and the Dad with his crazy gumbo ideas played with my emotions. Their passionate performances ran through my heart like an errent locomotive.

I think we all remember the episode where Kendall Gill came to the comic book shop and alfie said "DeeDee, go get Kendall Gills autograph!" or the even more moving, "Goo Punch, Everybody, Goo Punch, Come one now, Goo Punch!"

BRILLIANT

Great show!

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
23 July 2003

Although this program was very short-lived, it will always hold a fond place in my heart. I'm not really one for African-American sitcoms, but this show was hysterical!

"My Brother and Me"'s main focuses are 12-year old Alfie and 8-year old Dee Dee Parker (Arthur Reggie III and Ralph Woodfolk IV) are brothers living in suburban Charlotte, North Carolina with their mom and dad, Jennifer and Roger (Karen Fraction and Jim Coleman), and their 14-year old sister Melanie (Aisling Sistrunk). Alfie has a friend, Milton, whose famously known as "Goo" (my brother and I found this hysterical!!!), Dee Dee has friends in "token white character" Harry, and annoying Donnell, and Melanie's best friend is fellow cheerleader Dionne, Goo's archnemesis. Goo hits on Melanie, she rejects him, Goo and Alfie hang out at "Comics and Books," and at the end of each episode all problems are solved, much like your typical sitcom, Nickelodeon style. Good clean fun.

It is beyond me why anyone hates this show. My brother and I used to make it a routine to watch this show every Sunday night. It was on at 7:30 every Sunday night for two years (from the time we were in 6th grade until 8th grade), and we always watched it before "The Simpsons." It was great!! It was such a funny sitcom. The father was hysterical!! We always laughed at his jokes, no matter how pathetic they really were. Every time he said "Now that's what I'm talking about," we'd die laughing!!!! His stories were so bad, the family always tried to escape from hearing them. Great concept.

My favorite episode, and the one I remember the best, (for obvious reasons) was when Dee Dee wanted the "Cool Doctor Money" haircut, with the dollar signs everywhere. Since Roger won't take him to get it cut, Goo, the genius that he is, offers to cut it. Of course, it was god-awful!!!!! My brother and I found that funny, until Roger took him to the barber, and Dee Dee came back with a SHAVED head!! That did it--we were practically crying at that point!!!!

This was a great sitcom that should have lasted longer. I wish more people gave it a chance--it was so cute and funny!!!!! Sure, it's cheesy and Nickelodeon-esque (After all, it did air on the "first network for kids") but it was harmless, good clean fun. It still holds a place in my heart.

i loved this show.

Author: Angel Laws from United States
17 October 2005

I loved this show when I was growing up. It was funny, educational, and when you were done watching it you actually felt good. It showed black families in a very positive light. I remember being happy to have something to relate to when I was younger. Luckily, I was able to find all 13 episodes of My Brother and Me. It should have been around much longer...

My favorites were GOO (of course) and that little white kid with glasses. He cracked me up. And who could forget the episode when DeeDee got that jacked up haircut, memories.

My Brother and Me was one of the main reasons I even watched Nickelodeon. Nick, all together was better in the late 80s early 90s. I miss those days.

Good Show

Author: kungfuml from Fredericksburg, Virginia
9 November 2002

This is one of Nickelodeons Best and Finest shows. Dee Dee and Alfie were Hilarous The Episode guide at TV Tome has all 13 episodes listed I rember every episode because they were all so good. Nickelodeon did not Know what they were doing when they cancled this wonderful show.

A Great Show For Kids

Author: tanquant from United States
14 January 2003

O.K. I admit it when I first saw My Brother and Me I thought that the acting was awful but when I started to watch it I saw a great show for kids.I am an African American and I never once thought of the show as stereotypical.I always thought that they lived in the suburbs of North Carolina,not in the hood.MY brother and me was a show about children's problems such as selling candy to make money,trying out for the basketball team,pulling pranks on your siblings,and dealing with bullies.When it did air on Nickelodeon I taped as many episodes as I could before they took it off for good and I am glad I did.This show kinda reminds me of Leave it to Beaver with an older sister.Dee Dee is Beaver,Alfie is Wally,Goo is Eddie Haskell you know devious around kids always sucking up around the parents.As far as the thinking out loud how long did that last on The Wonder Years?To sum it all up My Brother and Me was and still is a great show for kids to relate to.If Nick would have given it a chance they could have taken acting classes. They have had worst shows on the air such as 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd and Clarissa Explains it All!

A Great Show For Kids

Author: tanquant from United States
14 January 2003

O.K. I admit it when I first saw My Brother and Me I thought that the acting was awful but when I started to watch it I saw a great show for kids.I am an African American and I never once thought of the show as stereotypical.I always thought that they lived in the suburbs of North Carolina,not in the hood.MY brother and me was a show about children's problems such as selling candy to make money,trying out for the basketball team,pulling pranks on your siblings,and dealing with bullies.When it did air on Nickelodeon I taped as many episodes as I could before they took it off for good and I am glad I did.This show kinda reminds me of Leave it to Beaver with an older sister.Dee Dee is Beaver,Alfie is Wally,Goo is Eddie Haskell you know devious around kids always sucking up around the parents.As far as the thinking out loud how long did that last on The Wonder Years?To sum it all up My Brother and Me was and still is a great show for kids to relate to.If Nick would have given it a chance they could have taken acting classes. They have had worst shows on the air such as 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd and All That!

THE BEST!!!

Author: Sweetpea24153 from Where ever the wind blows
18 July 2002

I don't care what anyone says this show was awesome and I was so sad to see it canceled. Sure there were some bad episodes but you can't expect a show to be great all the time. This is defiantly one of my favorite shows!

A Great Show that should have stayed on longer

Author: Faith Hampton (velvetsunshine06@aol.com) from United States
21 January 2005

My brother and me was a very good show. It always kept me laughing. I liked it...my mom liked it...it was really good. It seemed like they only had about 12 or so episodes . I think they should have been more successful. I knew a lot of people that were infatuated with that show because of its greatness. It was one of the best black kid shows out there, and it ended way too soon. All of the actors were really good and I wonder what may have happened to them all. If anybody knows a good answer for this question, why was it canceled so early? My favorite episode was the one where Goo sang "Goo Punnch". That was the basketball episode to my knowledge. This was a great show. You have to able to relate to a black family's point of view and comedy to get the full jest of it...but that is just my opinion!

i remember this show

Author: bigasslover4 from United States
7 February 2005

These were another one of those shows to where they were good back when the episodes originally aired, back when I was younger. But if they ever air the reruns now, I may watch them because I missed them, but I may not like them as much as I used to. Alfie, Didi and Goo were always funny when they were in a scene together. That sister of theirs I thought was fly, but she wasn't that funny, and she wasn't nice. My favorite episodes were "the pet snake", Didi's haircut", and the one where all the kids play tricks on each other, and at the same time the mother is trying to enter the family in a magazine. I miss this show along with all the other nick shows they had back then.

The good ol shows

Author: DiscoingGD from port richey, florida
22 March 2004

I was only a little lad when this show was on and I thought it was great. Sarcasm, Comedy, a perfect mix. All the people were always sarcastic and yet it seemed like a normal family with the quarreling siblings, the crazy friends, and a story telling dad. I don't understand why some people despise this show but they should just be quiet. These days, shows don't have what this show, Rocko's modern life, aaaahhh real monsters, salute your shorts, and ren and stimpy have. something is just missing in the new shows. I still watch Nickelodian and I wish they'd show these shows more often. My peers don't watch Nick anymore but if they had these shows they would. No new show can beat these good ol shows.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]