IMDb > The Cave of the Golden Rose 4 (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Cave of the Golden Rose 4 (TV) More at IMDbPro »Fantaghirò 4 (original title)

much worse than Fantaghiro 3

Author: aganiecha from Poland
14 August 2014

I will start by saying I didn't like that part of the series and here are some of my reasons:

1) No strong storyline. The way older dark prince wanted to get Tarabas back was overcomplicated and strange.

2) Tarabas, once a tragic and deep character, here becomes a parody of himself. His love for Fantaghiro is not eternal after all and he conveniently meets another love interest. Besides, he does not look as great as in Fantaghiro 3, too long hair and too much eyeliner:)

3) The actors play bad, it often looks like a stage acting, overacted and feels like they read straight from the script or waited for prompts.

What I liked: 1) Intense scene between Fantaghiro and Fiodor in the prison, very moving

2) Irrational love of Angelica for Tarabas before she has even seen him, quite funny.

Average, yes, but still entertaining

Author: luz-astorelli from Chile
12 June 2007

I must agree with the comment above regarding the quality of the fourth part of the Fantaghiró series. Nonetheless, after careful thinking, I must say I enjoyed most of it. It doesn't have the charm of the first and second movies, but I still saw some parts of the original plot: Fantaghiro saving those she loves regardless of how difficult things can get, and actually I must say I was surprised on the strong message given during the movie about "image is nothing". Her conversation with Fiodor regarding her love for Romualdo is truly touching, perhaps the highpoint of the movie. It's quite emotional to hear her talk about what she feels for him knowing he's in fact in front of her without Fantaghiró having any clue. The dialogue is simple yet truthful: she loves him above his beauty (and people, we're talking about Kim Rossi Stuart here, perhaps one of the most beautiful men in the world). I don't remember hearing her being so open about her love for Romualdo before, even in the 3rd movie, where she must save him from turning into stone. I would have liked to see this dialogue earlier in the movies, though.

Star Wars in fairy tale land

Author: PlanecrazyIkarus from Wales, UK
5 May 2002

Let's recall the three films preceding this one:

1) Fantaghiro falls in love and unites three war-torn kingdoms 2) Fantaghiro fights an evil sorceress 3) The evil sorceress becomes a sidekick and Fantaghiro fights an evil sorcerer and now: 4) The evil sorceress remains a sidekick and the evil sorcerer becomes another sidekick to fight an even more evil sorcerer, who is (drumroll!) the father of the previous evil sorcerer! Seriously, those father-son things have been overdone in the movies....

Do I see a trend developping? Do all previous bad guys have to become sidekicks in sequels? Oh well. Part 3 was still bearable, with the old "Evil guys stealing all children" plot eerily reminiscent of "Willow", but this one is just stupid. And full of sappy attempts to tear at 10 year old girl's hearts, with love interests being turned into ugly goblins etc.

Avoid 4/10