IMDb > "Earth 2" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Earth 2"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Earth 2" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A gem that was mishandled by the networks...

Author: Asteri-Atypical from Orlando, FL
14 March 2002

What can I say? It's been years since this show met its untimely demise at the hands of vision-impaired network execs but it still deserves a word or two.

This is one of a number of shows from around 1995-1996 which showed incredible promise yet were mercilessly killed early. Others include "Nowhere Man" and "Space: Above and Beyond".

Earth 2 was imaginative and intelligent (rare in the current TV era). There are some parallels to the settlement of the American West, with the dangers of raw nature and the dealings with native species. In many ways it had the promise of "doing it over again" and this time hoping we get it RIGHT (no more massacres).

This show is worth a view on SciFi for its human element and ongoing plot twists. While too much time has passed to hope of a revival, we can at least enjoy it for what it was and curse the networks for keeping alive only dumbed-down versions of "Trek".

It helped some of my teenage Augusts being less boring

Author: yes_i_am84 from Padova, Italy
14 August 2003

I was tiding my room a few days ago and found out a video tape whose existence I had forgotten, which contained some of the last episodes of "Progetto Eden" (i. e., Earth 2 in Italian). After I saw the last episode again, the question that had haunted my summers of three-four years ago (when it had been broadcast a couple of times) came back: "What happened to Devon? Please someone tell me!!!!"

Apart from jokes, this series really helped me to pass some of these middle-August afternoons when there is nothing to do and I was really disappointed they cancelled it. When I see the ridiculous creatures and dumb plots of Star Trek 12345678... INFINITE, I think that they could have given a second chance to Earth 2. In fact, despite some flaws in the plot and an ingenuous approach sometimes, there's a lot to enjoy there. Mainly, the cast of characters; Debrah Farentino as Devon Adair, the loving mother and brave explorer; Clancy Brown as John Danziger (the chemistry between the two characters, made up of rivalry, friendship, adoration for their children, struggle and a touch of love is VERY enjoyable); Antonio Sabato, Jr. and Jessica Steen as a pilot and a doctor in love with each other (actually the second is perhaps the best actress in the series, also because her character is a torn one, between her duties as a doctor and as a...spy, and her love for Alonso); Rebecca Gayheart and John Gegenhuber as the selfish Martin couple; then the children who are good too.

Another thing I really like is the absolute beauty of the landscapes and sunsets, never seen before in a sci-fi series. An example among all: the beach where Devon, John and Alonso finally meet Julia in the episode of the time-machine-spiders. Breathtaking!

The "other dimension" where humans communicate with local species is well rendered and was really able to frighten me sometimes!

I would have chosen less caricatural creatures as grendlers & co., but as I said before, if Star Trek is going on...

I'm not promising a masterpiece (after all, a Tv series is NOT made to be one!), but far more than average entertainment, yes. Do you find it absurd, ridiculous? Man, it's sci-fi, not supposed to be like the world you see when you open the door in the morning! Give it a chance! And tell me if Devon will survive!!!

GOD!!!!! why are all the good ones cancelled??

Author: Jessie S (Jessie_Enchanted) from kind of here
24 January 2001

I used to watch this show with my dad every sunday.it was one of our favourite shows!!! It always had great story lines and great characters. Just an absolutely brilliant show!!!! SO due to being so great...it was cancelled!! UGHHHHH!!! The good ones always die young!!!

Why did NBC cancel this terrific show?!

Author: thx1138-21 from Queens
11 October 1999

This was a great show -- thank you SciFi channel for saving it from oblivion. Great character development and cast. But what a cruel joke to play on the audience by ending the series with a cliff-hanger! I am so disappointed that we will never know Devin's fate or solve the mysteries of the Human/Terrian connection.

One of the Best

Author: Fire-6 from San Diego, CA
24 September 1998

Wonderful characters, acting and plot. One of the few Science Fiction shows to hold my interest more than 1 episode. I loved the Gaian element about environment protection. The "dramatic saga" feel to the show was a fresh approach to the Warring Spaceships that most shows use. The only horrible thing about the show was it only had 22 episodes.

Why?

Author: owsllyr from Anglesey, Wales
9 May 2003

Why? They keep Voyager going for seven years and cancel this?! Shows what a silver catsuit can do doesn't it?! This series was incredible. The best Sci Fi series I've seen by far. Great characters, interesting plot, and fabulous acting (Jessica Steen in particular). It's just such a shame it wasn't given a chance. What happened with Devon? Did they reach New Pacifica? Might be nice if someone decided to do a few novels. Just a hint! Thanks for creating a series that combined an intriguing story with realistic characters (Star Trek writers take note!)

I am still complaining about its cancellation and I won't stop till I die.

Author: Jasson Cresanto (ragesaint@aol.com) from Atlanta, GA USA
22 September 1998

I began watching this show when it first aired and I still have not seen anything past, present, or forthcoming that could possibly compare to its intelligence. This was absolutely, positively the greatest show I've ever seen. The characters were great. The continuity was fabulous. The writing was outstanding. It hurts to know it will not return except to Sci-Fi channel for re-run airing. NBC just didn't have the guts to stick it out like Fox did with the X-Files (which did worse than E2 in its first season). Anyway, if anybody important reads this...that is, somebody with money and some pull with Universal. Here's my list of demands: 1). Bring back the show, 2). Do TV movies about it, 3). Release the season that aired on Video Tape so I can purchase decent copies. Do these things and nobody gets hurt! I have a loaded pen and/or keyboard and I'm not afraid to use it! LOL. C'mon, I'm dyin' here!

great stuff!

Author: fk1829
18 January 2002

This show was aired in Pakistan in 1996, and it was my favourite show then. The plot was gripping, the acting and the entire setting of the show was awesome. The aliens [can't remember what they were called now] were really chilling to watch, and each episode did have something interesting and different to offer than the previous one. I wish they'd air it again over here, I miss watching it.

Wonderful

Author: Peter Karlsson from Västerås, Sweden
27 June 1999

This series was just wonderful. It had everything, the science fiction, the Robinson Crusoe-effect, the psychological aspect... Everything!

It's just too bad it didn't get a real ending. I still wonder what was meant to happen. It just is sad.

Good show!

Author: Suceveanu Eugen
3 February 2003

This was a sci-fi show with a little more brains than the most, so of course it had to die. Every time a show shows some brains, the ratings drop :)

Great use of ecology, good actors, no ending.

And another question: why do spaceships have some dumb air friction sound every time? They are in space for god's sake! And don't get me started on the fizzling lasers :)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]