IMDb > "ER" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"ER"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"ER" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

What about Carter?

Author: sdeldridge136 from United States
2 December 2005

Maybe I'm new to this, but ER has always been the story of Carter. It started with him. Everything that ever happened (traumas, tensions, deaths of Lucy, Greene and even Romano) was gauged as it impacted the ER in terms of Carter and tracked his growth as a physician and a man. Now that he's gone (for all practical purposes) and achieved all of those things, it seems the show could suffer from a lack of core focus. Many (good) characters, no top gear to give the story direction.

My naive view, elevating Scott Grimes character this past week was a positive step. Bringing back Sharif Atkins full time would add depth, substance and talent. There's plenty left in the tank refilled by an enthusiastic and gifted cast and a crew that has always been top drawer. Hopefully, the writing can keep pace. This remains the show's main liability.

Still Pretty Good

Author: domino1003 from United States
24 May 2005

ER, even after over 10 years, still has the ability to keep you glued.

Now that Noah Wylie has left, the show is relying on the next generation. I like most of them, but can't help but feel a bit nostalgic for the old days.

Favorite episodes: 1) The Storm: Dr. Ross (George Clooney) has finally destroyed his friendships with his co-workers when he helps in an assisted suicide of a terminally ill boy. With no future in Chicago, he leaves for Seattle, leaving a brokenhearted (And pregnant) Carol (Julianna Margulies)behind.

2) All In The Family: Dr. Carter (Wylie)and his intern, Lucy Knight (Kellie Martin) are stabbed by a patient. Lucy dies, but Carter survives. Unfortunately, it also leaves him prey to a nasty drug habit.

3) Such Sweet Sorrow: Carol leaves to reunite with Ross. With Don Henley's "Taking You Home" playing, The reunion is SOOOOOO SWEET!!!

4) Rampage: Dr. Greene does the unthinkable. After a dad starts a shooting rampage through Chicago (Greene had his son taken away because of physical abuse)in which many people died and the trail literally leading to Greene's front door, he ends up wounded and sent to the ER. Left alone with Greene, he has a heart attack. Greene charges the paddles and does...nothing. Just shocks the air and looks into the eyes of this very brutal killer. One word: COLD!

5) On The Beach: Edwards's swan song. Dying from a brain tumor, he goes to Hawaii to spend his remaining days trying to repair his relationship with his estranged daughter. To this day, I always cry whenever I hear "Somewhere Over The Rainbow!"

6) Freefall: Poor Dr. Romano! As portrayed by Paul McCrane, Romano was an INCREDIBLY abrasive man. Sexist, racist, and just an ugly human being. The previous season, he lost his arm to a blade of a helicopter, ending his career as a surgeon and relegating him into the ER, where he makes life miserable for EVERYONE. In this episode, Romano bites the big one when a helicopter falls from the hospital roof and lands on him. Watching his reaction as the flaming wreckage falls around him like a bullseye target is painful. What was even more painful were the later episode, in which none of the staff (Except Dr. Corday)went to his funeral!

Catch the episodes in syndication. You will get hooked from the start.

A perfect example of TV plays

Author: dreaujyc from Ji'nan China
21 February 2005

As some other hot American TV plays,I met ER much occasionally several years ago without an internet,how amazing the Chinese TV stations could show ER in 1996!I've read about comments above and quite agreed with other fans' ideas.The most impressed episode I just watched and remembered is "Blizzard" of season I,what a huge contrast between the evil weather and the warm circumstance in emergency room that day!

Most of plays in China today are quite didactic,not so much attracting,we don't like to watch 5 different series which are actually the same kind.ERs set the perfect example of contemporary plays.

It is impossible for me to watch all the 11 seasons,but I wish I can get the best memories from the great ERs.

Better late than never

Author: kay_pele from United States
20 January 2005

I just watched the Episode "Orion in the sky" and it kinda gave me an idea that Dr. Mark Greene is going to die pretty soon. It broke my heart to find out the truth when I came online to find out. I know I'm behind with this ER thing but hey its not my fault that ER hasn't reached the television sets of where I'm originally from. But as I was saying, Dr. Greene was the reason why I got hooked with ER. But too bad he had to die. So for future episodes, please don't take anybody out anymore. I watched Evening Magazine one evening and there were rumors about Goran Visnjic leaving ER, Oh Please don't do that. First it was Julianna Marguilles, then George Clooney, pretty soon Anthony Edwards, and now Goran. Just a suggestion!!!!!!

Sincerely, ER #1 Fan.........

3/03/04 ER talking about this episode

Author: shamelessNO1 from northumberland
3 March 2004

this is so much a good episode on 3/03/04 wednesday (britain) it has differently went with a bang. the helicopter crash was amazing. if you havent seen it, im so sorry, you will have to wait till it repeats or sommit if you have saw we can talk about all the things that have happened. it was that good of an episode that my heart was in my throat the whole time. if you look close on the credits it shows you who is leaving i anit gonna say in case you havent seen it but i new who was leaving before i watched it didnt no how but i knew so many people where are leaving this year well not many but you know what i mean. i also found this episode very touching anyone feel the same?

one i can wait for the next episode.

I adore this show!!!

Author: ALCAT32 from Vermont
30 November 2003

I can't get enough of this show!! I absolutly love it. no matter what I am doing, even if I have am at a party I will set the timer. I also love that TNT airs the show as well. I probably have seen every episode by now. I have a life, but I don't mind putting it on hold for an hour while I watch my favorite drama...

An excellent show with good actors, great and interesting stories, worth to watch!

Author: Carter256 from Mexico
29 November 2003

This show is excellent! When you go to the hospital you never realized the kind of work and effort the doctors and nurse do for the patients, this show proves that.

The cast is terrific! Noah Wyle, Eriq la Salle, Sherry Stringfield, George Clooney, Anthony Edwards and Julianna Margulies. The first season was great but it became better over the years, with more interesting stories, and the additions of great actors and actresses like Kellie Martin, Gloria Reuben, Laura Innes, Goran Visnjic, Paul McCrane, Maria Bello, Alex Kingston, Erik Palladino, Michael Michel, Maura Tierney, Ming-Na, Linda Cardellini and Parminder Nagra make a very good show. Also the actors that played the nurses and desk clerks are great.

But not only the actors are great, also the writers in creating this amazing stories over the year, especially the stories in the episodes, All in the family, Exodus, The Storm Part 1 and 2, On the Beach and Chaos Theory.

The direction are amazing, Mimi Leder, Jonathan Kaplan, Joe Sachs, Lydia Woodward, John Wells, and the best Michael Crichton for creating this show.

What makes the show perfect are the combination of good actors, great and interesting stories, very good directors and the sound mixing and picture editing, this truly is and Excellent Show Worth to watch it every Thursday at 9:00 pm.

Absolutely love this show! Best drama.

Author: MovieGoer00
5 October 2003

Er is the best drama out there. It is never recognized for how amazing it is. Noah Wyle, Maura Tierney and so many of the other actors deserve Emmy's for their work on this show.

Now in it's 10th season, it is still the highest rated drama, and I think its as good as ever. Personally I love the relationship between Carter and Abby, and I would hate to see that go to waste.

I think that everyone should tune into ER 10pm Thursdays on NBC, because you'll be watching the greatest show ever made.

Only drama without a single hiccup

Author: TheSubstitute from UK
31 August 2003

ER's always been good. If Simpsons was a seed that sprouted back in the early 90's, then ER's the spaceship that just landed on Earth.

ER's about characterisation, about believability, about compelling stories, it's drama basically, in a hospital. It's the only drama that truly experiments itself in every aspect to see what's best. We've seen it through different actors, directors, writers and execution of the whole thing, and yet they always come up with new material to surprise us every serise.

I guess the ability to renew characters aid ER in staying refreshing always, because the producers know full well ER's sucess isn't a fluke, it isn't about pretty faces and familiar formulas. The very fact that it managed to last 9 series and still coming at us is in itself a miracle.

What I particularly admire after comparing ER to other British hospital drama is the fact that ER doesn't leave the audience confused, and yet it doesn't patronize our intelligence. It has the technicalities and realism, and yet it doesn't leave us dangling "what's all the mumble jumble" with the perfect balance of terminologies and lament terms for the victim and their families. I've see two such dramas that fails to keep the pace, atmosphere and setting and yet be able to explain what the hell's going on inside the patient's fragile bodies. I can't explain how ER manages it, but it does, and it's just sheer genius.

My only regret is I didn't get to start watching it when it first came out. I can't wait for the Region 2 release of the first series. ER is as professional and ambitious as TV projects go. Whether it fits your taste or not, you cannot deny it's a masterpiece.

The next to last vestige of intelligent television

Author: juliafwilliams from New York, NY
5 August 2003

ER is about the only evening drama I watch on television now. Its fast-paced style and magnificent ensemble cast combine to help ER join the ranks of other great shows before it, such as Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, not to mention the classic medical shows without which there would be no ER.

Kudos and plaudits.