IMDb > "Due South" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

seductive

Author: Armand from Romania
2 April 2013

a remarkable series. for cultural references, for the adventures of strange Canadian policeman in different world, for refined humor and, sure, for brilliant dialogs. Paul Gross does a character in which innocence, courage and free spirit are parts of a special way to impress. and the action scenes are far to usual recipes. its virtue - originality.and the music. and credible adventures.a smart film. fascinating, subtle and full of scenes who remains long time in memory of viewer. and this fact is not surprise. important is only the science of director and scriptwriter to preserve magic of action and give, again and again, fresh air of a great series.

The show in Iran

Author: yousef yegane from Iran
28 September 2012

Well, we saw that in the dubbed version. I was a elementary school student, but I have never missed the show. I loved the style of the show and I wished it had never ended. When I saw Ray missed dropped from the show, I was very disappointed. I think both Ray and Benny were well coupled in the show and dropping him was a mistake. Then again, I have heard that it was Marciano who demanded more, but I think it worth. The romantic events of the show were cocktails of strong and superficial romances with almost all natural feelings. I liked the dynamics of girls liked hitting on the Fraser. I wished the show revealed that he is a normal person with normal feelings. But wanted to behave with women with respect and show them that they are not tools.

10 years after it finished & it is still my favourite

Author: paquiadaniel from United Kingdom
11 April 2011

This show really was my favourite TV Show ever & still is to this day. I purchased the Box Set on line & am about to buy another just to put away. The absolute beauty of this show was the storyline & casts as week after week in it's 4 season run with a 68 episode total made it always had a different story line and the main characters involved & who says never work with animals as the one in this show is so much a part of the cast he really did make the shows appeal even bigger. Shame they took it off the air so soon but let it not be forgotten a lot of now big Canadian Actors on US TV started out with parts in this show. Im my honest opinion the Mountie,The Wolf,The cop & all the others where retired too soon way too soon.

Due South back on UK TV!

Author: fran blakes from United Kingdom
25 October 2010

Long overdue a repeat...

------------------------

One of the best TV series it back! Now being repeated in the UK on BBC Two, after a long await!!! Just have to count how many cars Ray had replaced - he loved that car! Having been axed once, the BBC saved it. It was axed again and got saved, but nothing could save this series when the axed fell for the third time :-( But it would be nice for a catch up mini-series -- can't remember how the series concluded...

-------------------------

Enjoy!

Will always be a favourite of mine.

Author: jhsteel from London, England
13 February 2009

Due South will always have special place in my heart - I have all the episodes on video and it is great to return to them. Fraser is a wonderful character who inspires me to continue to have faith in human nature. He is believable, even though some of his exploits are a bit supernatural or superhuman sometimes. The quirkiness of the plots and some of the characters I always put down to the Canadian influence and this distinguishes this show - its uniqueness is its main appeal, as well as its optimism. Others have mentioned the music - this show introduced me to Sarah McLachlan who is wonderful, and other music from Canada that I would never have heard. The use of tracks that were slow and moving while car chases were going on works - who would have thought of that? Finally, I must put in a word for the values that Fraser espouses - he is a very honourable man, a great role model in many ways. The final season was different, but I still enjoyed it. The quirkiness remained and although some of it was fanciful, it still worked for me. Such a shame that it was cancelled so many times!

Should of ended earlier

Author: niallb_arseface from United Kingdom
8 November 2008

Due South is one of those shows I can watch all the time, all day, it wasn't just some cop dramedy, it had a lot of character and vivacious plots. The script is always hilarious but still showed a serious side in every episode. Set in the mean streets of Chicago, there was always crime about, and two of the most unlikely people team up to make one of the best shows during the nineties. Fraser a Canadian Mountie, transfered to Chicago after a murder case involving his father, and Ray a typical loud mouthed cop. It was expertly written by the great Paul Haggis, who has created epic films such as "Crash", and the new James Bond movies. The characters where great, Benton Fraser, a do-gooding Mountie who always wants to help even when not wanted, finds out what happened by licking a piece of dirt and of course, always unwittingly very amusing. Raymond Vecchio, never wants to be in the situation he is in, but still makes you laugh, and is driven to help Fraser, and of course Diefenbaker, Frasers deaf wolf. The story lines where always different and whether it was a funny or serious episode, you where always compelled to watch it, and see how it all unfolded, i think that was the key to their success, the explanations where always incredibly interesting to view. Although like most I assume, I wasn't keen when the original Ray left, and was replaced by "Kowalski", it kind of went downhill for me, he wasn't as fun to watch as Ray was, wasn't as engaging and just not particularly funny. Anyway if you haven't seen it, do!

I missed the original ray,

Author: princess919 from United Kingdom
17 August 2007

The last two series of due south were for the most part filmed without the original Ray (David Marciano), instead we had a ridiculous and unbelievable story about Stanley kowalski (callum Keith Rennie)replacing him while he was undercover. This was made worse by the new "Ray" being in contact with his, (Stanley's) ex wife, and often blowing his cover to random strangers (season 1 episode 2 eclipse).

Having said all this I did find some of the episodes quite good "mountie on the bounty" was funny and enjoyable as was "dr longball".

But I did miss the original Ray and somehow Fraser seemed more normal around the the quirky Stanley kowalski.

only 5 out of 10 for this.

Terrific writing!

Author: cymraeg99 from United States
16 March 2007

I just wanted to give you an example of how terrific the writing was for this show. (This may not be an exact quote, but it's close enough for you to get the idea).

Frasier and Ray are chasing the bad guy through the streets of Chicago, and the bad guy gets away in a car.

Frasier and Ray, being on foot, decide to hail a cab and pursue him.

They pull the cab over, get in, and Frasier says to the cab driver (wait for it): "Follow that car".

The cab driver takes one look at them and says "Do you have any money?"

Frasier pulls out a $20 bill and hands it to the cab driver, who looks at it and says "I can't take this. It's Canadian!"

Ray says to the cab driver: "So, drive 20% slower".

Brilliant continuation of the series!

Author: Emerald from United States
7 January 2003

With the replacement of Ray Vecchio with Ray Kowalski, the show's dynamic changes a bit. But that's not a bad thing! The chemistry is different, but it's a whole lot of fun. The story lines are fun and interesting, and the quirkiness is highlighted. Sometimes it gets a little silly, but that's good, too. This show maintained the focus of the series, with Fraser insisting on doing what's right and Ray trying to work with his partner's idiosyncrasies. Two thumbs, and two big toes, way up!

The Mountie Returns...

Author: secret_agent77 from Alberta, Canada
24 January 2002

The Mountie returns to clean up the mean streets of Chicago, this time with a new partner. Despite the departure of David Marciano, the series continued to excel. Maracino departed over salary disputes, but was on hand for the final episode. Callum Keith Rennie provided a much more humorous touch to the series than David Marciano ever had. The series was by far more patriotic than the original, such as the "Mountie on the Bounty" episode, where Fraser and Ray were working to find a stockpile of missing gold on Lake Michigan, assisted by a boat load of Mounties. The final episode, a two part episode, brought David Marciano back into the fold and had Fraser tracking down the killer of his Mother and Father, assisted by Buck Frobisher, Frasers mentor. This season was as good as the last. I personally enjoyed the new season to the previous one, I felt that the series had something it had been missing. Here's hoping that one day it will return.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]