IMDb > "Blue Heelers" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Blue Heelers" More at IMDbPro »

Wow, it grows on you!

Author: minavagante
25 July 2002

BH is broadcast in Italy by a second-class network that airs every episode three times a day (at breakfast, lunch and in the night) to make the most of it, and which recently made news because of the high ratings of their "Bonanza" repeats (go figure!!).

So, at first I wasn't surprised to find a series like this on the channel, because when you first look at it it looks poor, drab, dreary and totally 80's styled, like a bad remainder from the bargain bin.

At the same time I became totally addicted with "Murder Call", to the point of waking at 6AM during weekends just to watch it, and when it dawned on me it was the same production company I simply had to find out what was causing this gap.

After careful study, I have to say that there is no real "gap": yes, you can see more money being thrown in MC, but at the same time the series have such different settings that BH is definitely making a choice, and their choice is to be real. Yes, a lot happens in Mt.Thomas for such a small place, but you also see the policemen spending most of their days networking in the community, accompanying witnesses home and filing, and this is very real. The actors look ordinary, but this just adds to the greatness of BH, because would you believe a model serving as a PC in Mt.Thomas?

And you can see no one was hired for their looks, but for their talent instead: all the actors manage to deliver a lot, from the divertissement episodes (ie: The beauty pageant) to the more dramatic ones. Not to mention the Maggie-PJ chemistry, where their performances are perfect beyond belief.

The writing in this show is great, and the dialogues are as real as you can get. Another great point is that every few episodes there's a very "pervy" storyline, like the ones you can experience in Murder Call, and they are always a work of convoluted genius.

Need I say I became addicted to this show as well? Definitely worth a try!

I miss the show a lot..

Author: Ashley Wincer from Australia
13 November 2002

I was born and raised in Melbourne. Only recently have I moved to the US to get an education and find work. One thing I have missed as a result of moving away is Blue Heelers. I have heard rumours that it is playing on some US Cable companies, but I do not know which ones and where. Anyway if anyone stumbles across the television show, just sit down, have a beer and relax while you watch it. I think it is a little off the realistic track when it comes to police violence, corruption, etc. But it does cover a lot of the boring mundane tasks that police often have to put up with, such as cold burgs, etc. Or perhaps I just miss it because it is Australian??

One of the best series in Australia, but how much longer can it last?

Author: DvdJervs
1 December 2000

The fact that it was until recently the highest rating TV series in Australia (only brought down lately by 'Seachange' after a strong fight that lasted a couple of years) should speak volumes about the quality. Based in the small town of Mt. Thomas the Heelers must constantly solve crimes and keep the peace whilst at the same time deal with each other in their small, cooped up police station. The regular addition of new cast members has also helped keep the series fresh as well as add the interesting relationshiops that develop.

The big problem however that appears to be fast catching up with the series is that despite the constant cast changes keeping the storys fresh it has also wittled down the original cast which has kept the old flavour alive. Now with the departing of Maggie (Lisa McCune) only Tom 'Boss' Croydon, PJ, and Chris at the pub are left. I have a bad feeling as to what will happen if any of the last 3 leave.

Rumours are already abounding that John Wood (Croydon) intends to retire within the next year or so. If Martin Sacks (PJ) leaves as well I think the series will have lost too much that any new cast could make up for. Characters may come and go but Croydon has always run the place his way and PJ is, well, PJ, which has kept the old feeling alive. And Chris has always been the old reliable woman at the pub for a chat. Whilst McCune's leaving may have proved that the series could survive even without it's biggest star I think anymore losses in the original cast may give the series it's deathblow.

Well-crafted and intriguing

Author: Gareth Wills (pythius13@hotmail.com)
18 November 1998

Genuinely intriguing long-running series about a police station in a small country town. Consistently good writing and acting helped to make "Blue Heelers" one of the best and most-watched homegrown dramas on Australian television, arguably spawning other admirable programs such as "water Rats" and "Murder Call" (all three were and are made by Hal McElroy (spelling?) productions). "Blue Heelers" utilised the careers of well-established actors (John Woods and Martin Sachs) at the same time as providing a head start for less well-known but still talented actors (Grant Bowler, Lisa McCune, Tasma Walton etc.). Genuinely three dimensional character writing helped avoid the cliche saccharine nature too common to the genre, all of the characters can be seen to be realistic, they all have their faults and personal obstacles. Although it can be quite often seen to be a little unrealistic, why should a town as small as Mt. Thomas have so much crime and intrigue??, this is easily forgivable as the viewer gets immersed in the storyline. "Blue Heelers" utilises the continually evolving sub-plot to further distance itself from the routine one-case-an-episode formula. Will PJ and Maggie ever get together? What about Dash and her fight against breast cancer etc. The characters have also established themselves with the Australian public as a source of concern. The higher rating episodes have been those involving major life changes for the main characters, recently Maggie's struggle with her heroin addicted brother and Nick Schultz's departure from the show. I would argue, that, had the series not been so well-constructed, this phenomenon would not be in evidence.

Blue Heelers has run it's course

Author: bradles_01 from Australia
16 January 2006

Blue Heelers, is truly one of Australia's most successful television programs. However i feel that the current series is really de-grading to the previous series. What i mean is that it's is just not as good as it once was. I feel that now the show has been axed, it is just too over due. Blue Heelers has definitely run it's course and in my opinion should have ended with the death of Maggie Doyle (Lisa McCune). The reasons for this is because Magggie was Blue Heelers, she was indisputably the most successful cast memeber and really captured the audience and was the 'golden girl' in Mount Thomas. Her sudden death was devastating and should have resulted in the show being canceled.

Blue Heelers

Author: TPearcey from Australia
6 April 2006

I love the show Blue Heelers and it is a shame that it has to come to an end after so many years. Why does the series have to end it is such a good series. I like Constaple Jo the best so it was annoying when she had to dye. All the actors play their characters really well except Sarget Jacobs who was a bit comical for his part. Jossepi and Kelly are really good beguines with the series. Most of the plots for the episodes are really good and they capture my attention all the time which is another reason why I watch the series. The setting of Mt. St. Thomas is a really nice place for the shooting the show. It is a lovely place. The Title of Blue Heelers is a good one for the show and suites the show.

Loosing Originals But Not Originality

Author: from Australia
22 May 2005

Most of Australia has been watching blue heelers since its humble beginning 12 years ago, weather regularly or on and off. But what startles me when i sit down for the first time in weeks to catch up with the folks in Mt Thomas is new faces constantly appearing and disappearing.

It is a sad thing to see the original cast members say farewell to the show and as fast as their gone, they are replaced. But this is not a bad thing. Raise your hand if the 94 eps of Blue Heelers would still enthrall you today? Would you bite your nails in anticipation to discover who actually stole the Harris's tractor, or other such slight criminal investigations? I appreciate the nature of growth and change on Blue Heelers. The truth is, no drama can survive without it. Times change, demands change and i admire that the old dog has held on, instead of going under.

It reminds me of Heartbeat

Author: docterryc from Alberta, Canada
18 November 2012

If you enjoyed the UK show, Heartbeat, you will probably enjoy Blue Heelers. The storyline is similar; a small police force in a small town. The senior office is a Seargeant. He doesn't have Blaketon's sharp edge, but he is believable and likable.

We have just finished watching Season 1 (45 episodes) so cannot speak for the whole series, but my wife and I found the characters to be well defined; the story lines to be interesting and the plots along the same line as Heartbeat.

An interesting difference between the two is that Blue Heelers has a woman PC--indeed Episode one tells of her joining the station. The Aussie macho man attitude towards women comes out occasionally, without making an issue of it.

Now, if they just had a Claude Jeremiah Greengrass it would rate a 10.

Great Australian Drama

Author: Renny_Sue from Sydney
12 August 2006

The show was excellent for most of its run on Australian TV. It had great characters that you genuinely cared about, but it stayed real.

The death of the show wasn't Maggie's own death, but it went a long way towards it. The show had lost four core cast members in less than two years and it was never really able to survive that. The blowing up of the station took the unreality to the extreme (can anyone tell me the last time a police station was blown up in this country? Or any building for that matter?) and killed the show dead. Add to that, Tom completely changing and the show was over for me.

I'll always remember Blue Heelers for that little Aussie drama that I fell in love with as a kid, but thank God it went off the air before it could get worse.

great tv show

Author: phillip cole (pcolenew) from brisbane
23 October 2002

hi blue heelers is a trully fantastic tv show it is absolutey brillant and i never miss an episode of it i think all the characters are fantastic except for the stupidblond who plays tess gallagher what an attitude problem she has got along with a fat trap she should learn to keep it shut anyway everything besides tess is great about the show maybe its time to get rid of tess she is so much a dog its not funny oh well its a great show anyway bye from phillip cole