IMDb > "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Aaahh!!! Real Monsters"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Aaahh!!! Real Monsters" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Yeah!!! Dark Series: A review of Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

Author: andynortonuk from Oxford, England
3 June 2003

The studio Klasky Csupo was responsible for numerous shows, like Rugrats, and The Wild Thornberrys, over the years. However, with such a popular back-catalogue at their disposal, it is quite obvious to over-look certain shows that didn't have its tremendous share of popularity- does anyone else here remember shows from them, such as Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, or Duckman?

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters was another show made from Nickelodeon's legion of Nick Toons, which gave this channel the edge for Saturday morning cartoons, until Cartoon Network nicked this new show format. First transmission of this was in 1994, when we were introduced to 3 high-school monster misfits known as Ickis, Oblina, and Krumm, as they try to make the grade by scaring fellow humans, with some disastrous consequences.

However, with such an entertaining concept to entertain the kids, this show ended in 1998 despite its variety of guest stars since the second episode in its first series, like Tim Curry (who, ironically, went on to voice the father figure in the Wild Thornberrys.) Also, the show's resonance remains coherent with some weak referencing in the Pixar's ever-popular film Monsters Inc- well the concept of monsters having to scare humans sounds familiar, if you ask me! Its departure can only be explained with the arrival of Nickelodeon's latest shows at the time: The Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power, As Told by Ginger, Fairly OddParents, and the cult-followed Spongebob Squarepants (there was also a revamp of the Rugrats, who will eventually have a more "grown-up" spin-off later on.)

Further bemusement into Nickelodeon's decision to axe the show includes the fun making each episode, especially during the opening credits; this was where its flamboyant, high-heeled wearing, headmaster figure, the Gromble, says something different from every episode, one of his lines, like "you make me sick". Also, after the ending credits, memorable dialogue was muttered ounce again from that episode. This wasn't new, as the Rugrats have been doing this gimmick throughout their transmission, so re-inventing something from a more popular show shows the struggle. Also, from their more popular counter-parts, this show had a dark feeling to it, with the overall design of the show (and some of the episodes relied on famous people to be traumatised from these novices at work!)

Personally, I remember quite a lot of this show, especially when it first transmitted on US television around Halloween (29 October 1994 to be precise). So, from the beginning, I know from the start that this was going to be a show with a creepy undertone. Also, one thing I found enjoyable was this concept of monsters of going to school to learn how to scare was quite inventive; it made the Tiny Toon Adventure's concept of going to university to become a cartoon star makes that premise childish. Alas, I need to mention Gravedale High at this point, as this was another monster high school format, only that took the "throw in a human in with them for some laughs" approach. Another key thing I remember is that projector that projects an image from their eyes- I did mention was darker than other kid's shows, at the time; didn't I? The voice acting was memorable, with Charles Adler (whose voice can be heard for the Bigheads in another Nick Toon, Rocko's Modern Life) and Christine Cavanaugh (the original voice for the Rugrats' Chuckie)- well, with them on board, it got appeal if you enjoyed the other shows at the time on Nickelodeon.

So, what can I say, this was an enjoyable series from start to finish of every episode, but the dark over-tone wouldn't have made this everyone's cup of tea. Overall, this was one of those shows from Klasky Csupo that deserves another look, if given the chance of a re-run.

One of Nickelodeon's Best...

Author: sjbursich from United States
2 November 2005

This cartoon was one of the best created by Nickelodeon. Not only did it disgust kiddies everywhere, but it was incredibly creative. It made us wonder...what would it be like to be a monster in school?

The plots revolved around three roommates/students that just happened to be monsters. You had Ickis, a monster struggling to be half the legend his father was, Krumm, a smelly and hairy little guy that carried around his own eyeballs, and my personal favorite, Oblina. She was the nerd and over-achiever of the group.

The monsters studying at the observatory had to remain hidden to humans unless completing their homework by scaring them. They then reported their actions to the Gromble (the teacher of the school, and the first cross-dressing cartoon character I have ever seen) and were graded on how they assessed the situation. Unfortunately, Ickis, Oblina, and Krumm were always suffering some sort of mishap.

This show was so great, and I love catching it on t.v. every know and then. This show contains a wave of nostalgia for me, and I still love it to this day.

A good show.

Author: dr-no from United States
4 June 2002

This was a good show. It was really clever, and off-beat, which is good. I think I've figured out why they dump good shows like this, and leave brain-dead shows on the air. Merchandising. Have you noticed that stuff like Rugrats and Rocket Power are cash-cows. That's why they keep these and dump shows like this. Because they can't be stretched into gigantic merchandising giants like Rugrats and Rocket Power. They are not about merchandising. They put out a few things to keep fans happy, and then keep making quality shows. I have nothing against Rugrats but really they lack that thin line between kiddie entertainment and adult satire. Rocket Power never had it. I'm not dissing Rugrats or anything, but still, it lacks that adultiness nowadays. Anyway, Rugrats and Rocket Power can be put on anything. Now really, if you think I'm bluffing, take a look at all this stuff out there. I mean the world could move on without "extreme" Rocket Power stampers. Be "extreme". Wear Rocket Power underwear. Have Reggie and Otto stand in the same poses as every other thing, and I mean EVERY, on your butt. Then buy it again, because it's a different color. Then buy Rocket Power keychains, even though you have no keys. This is just out of control nowadays. Anyway, Aaah! Real Monsters was a good show about quality, not about just writing the show to make kids go out and buy stuff. Just like Invader Zim, Rocko's Modern Life, and Ren and Stimpy. They have nothing in merchandising, but they are great, funny shows with adult humor, satire, and general humor. I rest my case. Spongebob's a good show too, but it's starting to slip, and more stuff is coming out. Watch The Fairly Oddparents get dumped and forgotten completely because of quality over franchise. That show's original. So it will probably slip into the same fate as this show.

I Miss The Monsters

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
27 January 2005

"Aaahh!!! Real Monsters" was one of my favorite Nicktoons, along with the older episodes of "Rugrats" and "Doug". I was seven years old when it premiered and remember watching it on Nickelodeon weekday mornings at like 6:30. Then after wards I remember talking to my friends on the bus about the episodes.

"Aaahh!!! Real Monsters" came around right after classic "Rugrats" came to an end. It followed three monsters as they trained at the monster academy. There was Ickis who was cute reminded me of a rabbit, Oblina (my favorite) who looked like an upside down candy cane, and Krumm who always held his eyeballs.

My favorite episode was the one when Ickis was scared of the cute movie. That one was so funny!

Overall this was a great show and I'm glad I can still see it on Nicktoons along with all of the other classic Nicktoons. I give this show 10/10 stars.

I used to love this show

Author: White Dolphin
14 December 2000

As a kid, I used to love this show. I haven't seen it for at least 2 years, maybe 3 so it's hard to really remember everything about it. I remember the three monsters, Ickis, Oblina and Krumm were very funny. I also remember The Gromble, who if I recall correctly wore red shoes. It was a very humorous well-written show with very well developed characters who were voiced and animated brilliantly. I miss this show very much and know that even now, not a little kid anymore I will still enjoy this show.

Creepy, yet Comical

Author: bbethel66 from Buffalo, NY
18 April 2003

Aaahh! Real Monsters was one of Klasky-Csupo's good Nicktoons. It came around the time Classic Rugrats ended, and the time Duckman premiered on USA.

This cartoon stars some of the strangest looking monsters (the three central characters being Ickis, a red rabbit-like creature, Krumm, a (literal) stink-bomb potato who carries his eyes everywhere he goes, and Oblina, a candy-cane creature). They all live in a city dump (presumably on the West Coast), and feed on garbage.

This kind of material can easily make one lose his lunch. But it's still one of the many most imaginative cartoons ever made. I like the threesome between Ickis, Krumm, and Oblina, and I love the Gromble's delivery. A lot of the stories are very funny. Some involve Krumm having explosive hiccups, some feature Oblina losing her brain, while others might have Ickis controlling time with a seemingly ordinary clock.

Overall, Real Monsters is a definite winner. Sadly, it's rarely seen on TV these days. It's a shame that a studio that once produced such wonderful cartoons are now generating bottom-feeders' delight like The Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power, new Rugrats, and As Told by Ginger. And although Nick has the right idea of showing SpongeBob and the OddParents, they seriously can't afford anymore bad cartoons, especially from Klasky-Csupo. Their reign of terror WILL soon come to an end -- MARK MY WORDS!

Another Nickelodeon cartoon classic!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
6 July 2004

Aaahh!! Real Monsters is another one of my favorite Nickelodeon cartoons! This show takes us through the struggles of life of three monster friends named Ickis, Krumm and Oblina who are studying how to scare humans in school. Often their plans don't work out as well as they plan it to be. I thought Charles Adler did a good job at doing the voice of Ickis because I think Charles Adler does a good job at doing voices of the hilarious characters! I also thought Christine Cavanaugh did a good job at Oblina! Some of the monsters were sort of drawn in interesting ways like Oblina for example she is shaped like a umbrella stick and Ickis has ears like a rabbit and Krumm well I don't really know what I should say what he looks like because I have no clue. Another Nickelodeon cartoon classic that got canceled along with some of the other good ones!

They Will Be In My Heart.. Hopefully Not To Come Out and Scare Me

Author: mirosuionitsaki2 from United States
27 July 2007

Although this show does have one con, not being scary. The pros are everything else. Meaning, I loved this show as a child, and still love it. The style and the design of the monsters are just so unique. Gabor Csupo did a good job creating and writing the show. No one could make a show better than Aaahh!!! Real Monsters! It is possible, but no one could make it in the same style as the staff of this show could do, unless they hired them. But it wouldn't be the same characters we know and love.

My favorite episode is the first episode of season one, "Switching Hour." where Ickis accidentally gets switched with a human child. What was very great and predictable about this show was that it was aired the day before Halloween. It could have probably gotten kids to feel ashamed that their costumes weren't as good as the characters of "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters!".

One thing that annoys me about this show is The Gromble and how the monsters seem to not have freedom in this show. They basically live in the school, like a boarding school. It seems every day of their lives they have to go to school learning about one simple thing everyday, how to scare a young child and perhaps adults. But one thing that is good is how Gregg Berger did on the voicing of this character. The Gromble's appearance and Gregg Berger's job on the character matches almost perfectly! I recommend this show for everyone, especially children and teens before this show comes off air completely, which would anger everyone.

This Show Rocked!!

Author: dee.reid from United States
29 October 2001

This was actually one the better shows to come out before Nickelodeon began it's decent into idiocy. It's about three monsters: Ickis, a monster that is often mistaken for a rabbit; Oblina, the only female monster in the trio who is shaped like a candy cane and often reaches down her throat to pull stuff out of her stomach; and Krumm, a monster who uses his unbearable stench to scare humans. They go to some sort of monster school where they learn to scare humans. They are often the subject of ridicule by their cruel head monster, The Gromble, who has four legs and wears high-heel shoes.

So what the hell happened to this show? I mean why did the dumb-asses at Nickelodeon take it off the air? Is it because this show is more adult-oriented or did they feel this show may have been too scary for 7-year old kids? I think it was the first reason. I think they took it off the air because they felt the show was more directed towards older kids, which for some reason, I think, in their opinion is bad. So that's why I think they keep making these idiotic shows because they're targeting younger ages which is why they piss me and a whole lot of other people off so much now. Besides, no one under the age of ten actually watched this show anyway. So they should have left it on the air for the older kids to watch. Nickelodeon has really lost it. These stupid shows they're producing now are getting worse and worse with every new cartoon they decide to air.

Please come back Monsters!!! 10/10

Best Klasy Scupe Cartoon ever!

Author: emasterslake from United States
13 May 2006

Unlike Rugrats, Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power, or any other cartoon you'd find from the famous Klasy Scupe co.

Real Monsters is possibly one of their most unique series they ever came up with.

The show is all about monsters. You might find them to be figments of your imagination, things that go bump in the night, you're common fear. But in this cartoon, you'll change the way you think of monsters.

Besides going under the bed or closet,a monster's life is similar to ours in a way. They live in dumps, swamps, sewers, or any where that stinks. They eat garbage or anything that humans don't eat. And scaring humans is common in their nature.

The series focuses on 3 monster students, Ickis(A red rabbit like monster), Krum(a dimwitted smelly/hairy monster with mobile eyes), and Oblina(a candy cane shape monster and the brains of the trio). These 3 monsters attend the Monster Accedmy. A school where young monster learn how to scare humans and how to avoid being seen being seen in public. Because they don't want the whole world to know they exist.

Being a scary monster isn't as easy as it looks. If you screw up on a scare or get revealed to the public then you get punished. Throughout the series our trio gets into trouble, situations and encounter some weirdness.

The animation is very well down. The episodes are very original and the characters are memorable. It's a must see to those who like animation or weird looking cartoons.

I hope one day this series will be available on DVD.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]