IMDb > Crime Story (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cung on zo

Crime Story More at IMDbPro »Cung on zo (original title)

Chan's serious side

Author: Scott Middlebrook from Yarraville, Victoria, Australia
1 January 1999

I don't know the background on this one, but it seemed to be based on a true story, and as such there wasn't a lot of room for Jackie Chan's trademark slapstick stuntwork. Not that there aren't any stunts in Crime Story, but they're just lacking the 'fancy' elements from such films as 'Dragons Forever' or the 'Police Story' series.

Nevertheless, this is a good film, if for nothing else than to see a different side of Jackie Chan in a serious role as a haunted cop without the fancy footwork in some of his other films.

Chan is effective in one of his more serious roles.

Author: gridoon
17 November 2003

Although the complete lack of comedy may disappoint some of Jackie Chan's fans, I found him quite fascinating to watch in this more serious part; he proves, once and for all, that he CAN act, and he handles his complex relationship with the chief villain (who is not as one-dimensional a character as you might expect) particularly well. Perhaps if you're unaccustomed to Hong Kong action cinema, the frenetic pacing and chaotic storytelling, combined with the (bad, of course, but not unacceptable this time) dubbing, can create a disorienting effect. But the action starts early on and never lets up, and the fight scenes, while not numerous, are AMAZING. (**1/2)

Hardcore Jackie Chan!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
10 July 2005

Crime Story (1993) was a very different Jackie Chan film. He stars as a tough cop who only cares about getting the job done no matter what the cost. What was the change in Jackie's attitude? He had a different director in charge. Instead of doing the job, he hired bleak and gritty film maker Kirk Wong direct the project. Wong likes to make police procedural films based on true cases. This one was no exception. It was a strange sight to see Jackie Chan so serious throughout an entire film. He was one dude who did not want to let the bad guys get away. But expect to see a lot of crazy stunts and violent gun play.

If you don't think Jackie Chan can get down and dirty in a straight forward action film then don't pass this one up. You wont be disappointed.

Highly recommended.

Interesting change of pace

Author: sockii from Philadelphia, PA
1 October 2000

I thought this movie was an interesting change of pace for a Jackie Chan film--not a joke to be found, just a lot of dark and gritty action. The production values are better than usual (though the US version's dubbing is awful!) and the story kept me interested. If you want to see a more serious side to Jackie Chan's acting, check this movie out. Don't watch it expecting tons of kung fu fighting, though, or you'll likely be disappointed.

7 out of 10

Author: dragon ma young from town
28 July 2001

I'll tell you what, I was not expecting this! I had never known about Crime Story before I came over it in my local video store. This was about 3 years ago, and I was a big Jackie fan , but I hadnt seen all his films yet. So I rented this, thinking it would be a funny slapstick action flick. Boy, was I ever wrong! This is the most serious Jackie movie ever! Even more serious than pre-Drunken Master movies! This is as dark as Jackie comes. But was it any good? Hell yeah! This movie was awesome! Jackie plays the part of a troubled cop perfectly and the film focuses more on the story than the action. Not a bad thing, and a nice change of pace for Jackie. He should take more roles like this to broaden his horizens, cause this movie ruled!

Jackie Chan like you have never seen him before

Author: gorthu from United States
18 April 2009

Jackie Chan takes up his usual cop role in this crime thriller and is hired to protect a very wealthy business man. The business man fears that he is going to be kidnapped, and that is exactly what happens. The kidnappers are holding him for ransom and demand 60 million dollars for his safe return. They order his wife to get the money. The cops do a great job of surveillance on the wife and do everything they need to do to catch the criminals, but they don't know that one of their top detectives is one of the kidnappers. Kent Cheng (Butcher Wing AKA "fatso" from Once Upon a Time in China #1) stars as the dirty cop and Jackie gets assigned to work with him. It gets very intense when Jackie suspects that Cheng is helping the kidnappers.

Jackie Chan has had many good acting performances in his career, but this tops them all. His usual slapstick comedy is completely absent, but he still does a few of the other things you have come to expect from him. In one scene he is in a car chase and his car gets tipped onto its side. Well, Jackie just pushes the car back on its wheels and keeps on driving. Jet Li was supposed to play this role which seems like it would have been a good choice, but Jet's acting wasn't as good back then as it is now. Jackie plays this role to perfection, and in my opinion, there is no way that Jet Li could have pulled this role off as well as Jackie. If you have ever doubted Jackie as an actor, then check this movie out to see what he can really do. I would actually recommend this movie more to non Jackie Chan fans, but Jackie's die hard fans will also enjoy it.

I have always known Kent Cheng as somewhat of a bumbling idiot on screen, so this movie was a real eye opener for me. He shows that he is a great actor when given the opportunity. He couldn't have played his role any better.

The movie also stars Chung Fa and Ken Lo who are involved in a group fight with Jackie, and Blacky Ko has a nice cameo as a captain of the Taiwan police force.

There is not as much fighting as most Jackie Chan movies, and they keep it more real. The stunt work is top notch and will have you saying ouch, but it is actually the car chases and huge explosions that give the most excitement.

This is almost a perfect movie. Rating- 9/10

Brilliant jackie chan film, hugely under-rated. Amazing action

Author: remixinglife from United Kingdom
5 November 2006

This has got to be one of Jackie Chans hardest hitting films, and in terms of acting, id personally say its his best. The story is basically about crooked cops etc, an it does have some sad moments in. Its rather powerful from the outset and the action definitely feels raw.

The energy in the fight scenes is once again way up there, this seems to be a film that is not credited enough in my opinion, probably due to the fact that its not Jackie Chan just doing his funny martial arts, comedy routines. But if your a through and through Chan fan like me then definitely pick up this classic film and prepare to be blown away by some of the amazing fight sequences and the end fights which rate high up there with Jackie best work.

Wish Jackie Did more such movies like this one.

Author: spacescreamer from India
9 August 2013

Being a fan of Chan's work for about 20 yrs now, i think i have FINALLY got hold of a movie which i can say is my favourite from his line of work. Not that he hasn't impressed with his work earlier, this one kinda stands out. No trademark slapstick/light motif spread all over the movie. The direction is very good for most part and so is Jackie Chan. The action is very much there, and in just the right quantity and 'type' that should have been there. People might say this is offbeat, but according to my humble opinion.. this is JUST THE KIND Jackie really should have attempted majorly. He is def not a bad actor, and such movies would have given him enough chance to exhibit his talent the audiences haven't seen enough of.

Recently Chan has been saying that he would like to concentrate on non action films, films which have more 'acting' in it than action alone.. I think movies like Crime Story would have made him even more popular! It's a shame that nobody recommended/mentioned about this one and it took me so long to reach out to this one, but i am glad i have finally watched it. Def worth treasuring!

What one expects from a Jackie Chan movie

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
9 December 2011

This movie rocks. It is about a man who is kidnapped and his wife is forced to pay them millions of dollars. The twist is that one of the kidnappers is a police officer who is constantly causing the hero, Jackie Chan, problems. There is no theme and the plot is pretty shallow, but who cares because we watch Jackie Chan movies not for cool plots or deep themes but purely for the action, and much of the action in a Jackie Chan movie leaves American Cinema for dead. There is very little to say about this movie other than if you love Jackie Chan movies then you are going to like this one because it is just purely Jackie Chan. He does his cool stunts with cool comedy and one of the best police raids I have ever seen. If the Taiwanese Police force is really like that then they are incredibly effective.

What seems strange is that Jackie Chan has a cult following, more so than somebody like Van-Damme. It is interesting how Chan just seems to always deliver the good movies (at least when he was in Hong Kong). We know what we want from Jackie Chan and we usually get it. Van-Damme on the other hand, has his following, but either you love him or hate him. He has no acting skill in my opinion and people only watch him for martial arts. Jackie Chan though seems to just draw people to him. I have not really seen anybody that hates Jackie Chan who does not hate the genre. Even a friend of mine who detests television and movies has a soft spot of Jackie Chan and Hong Kong cinema. What more can I say? Just watch it (but if you can get it on some other release that is not Chinatown then do so because I simply do not like how Chinatown Video do their subtitles).

Chan proves himself as an actor in realistic actioner

Author: DrLenera
6 October 2004

Despite still showing great skill, it's almost a shame that in recent years Jackie Chan has concentrated almost entirely on slapstick martial arts and incessant mugging. Of course, this is Chan's trademark, but in his earlier days he would sometimes attempt a change of pace. Crime Story, based on a true story, is such an example.

Crime Story plays like Police Story with most of the comedy and outlandish elements removed. It's a gripping film with a realistic feel ,although there is still room for plenty of action, including an incredible sequence when Chan runs for his life for real as a wall is demolished right behind him, and a climatic fight which is reminiscent of the brutal Chan action in Heart Of The Dragon.

Chan fell out with the director of the film and added the occasional more typical Chan scene, such as a fight on trampolines. Also, some elements of the story, such as Chan's relationship with his psychiatrist, are introduced and then thrown away. Still, this is a generally well plotted, very tight film in which Chan gives a really strong, serious performance. Maybe, as he gets older ,we will see more of this kind of thing from him.