IMDb > Last Hero in China (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wong Fei Hung V: Tit gai dau ng gung

Last Hero in China More at IMDbPro »Wong Fei Hung V: Tit gai dau ng gung (original title)

You will BELIEVE a centipede can somersault sideways!!

Author: sarastro7
5 January 2005

My introduction to kung fu movies was Jet Li's "Fong Sai Yuk", which blew me away, and I'm happy to say that "The Last Hero In China" is every bit as great as the former. Lots of good jokes (incl. bad guys with infectious fits of hysterical laughter), lots of impressive fighting - even if it's wire-aided -, lots of enjoyable acting, and an uproarious climactic fight scene at the end; rooster vs. centipede!

The story, starring the legendary kung fu doctor, Wong Fei-Hung, is an old-fashioned romp which is perfectly suited to Jet Li's acting talent and charisma. The rooster costume he dons at the end, and the fighting style he invents, are hilariously entertaining, and he pulls it off with flying colors. This is the sort of thing Jet Li does best.

8 out of 10.

Very very funny!!

Author: InzyWimzy from Queens, NY
2 July 2002

Man, this has to be up there with Kung Fu Cult Master...

It's Jet Li as Wong Fei Hung with a twist....it's got a lot of laughs. There are a lot of characters in this one and with a guy named "Mr. Pimp", you can't help laughing! The overcrowded training scene in Po Chi Lam is so funny when this poor guy keeps getting accidentally knocked out of the dojo. Wong's students Fu and So (who really earns the name Bucktooth in this one) add levity and do some decent fighting too. The villain is hilarious with that classic evil laugh. Not to be missed, do not forget to see Jet's rooster style. C'mon, you know Jet Li is the man if he can do that scene and still looks hardcore.

Did I forget about the great fight scenes? (thanks to Yuen Woo Ping) See Jet take out a guy while seated in a chair!! Who else can take down three guys at once on only ONE jump?? Definitely watch the battle between Jet and kung fu great Gordon Liu (a passing of the torch). Cheung Man fights as well and is just great to look at.

Director Jing Wong knew what he was doing and this film definitely doesn't take itself too seriously. Add Jet Li, fights done by Yuen Woo Ping, Anita Yuen (whatta babe!), Cheung Man, and a lot of humor and you have one heck of a movie!!

Jet Li plays a comic Wong Fei-Hung

Author: el_nickster from Washington, DC USA
27 February 2004

There are two reasons to see this movie: (1) the fighting is quite good, and (2) the translation is good enough that English-speakers will get the jokes.

This is a comic digression from the "Once Upon a Time in China" series. Jet Li again plays Master Wong. He is down on his luck, and so moves to Hong Kong to open a school in a run-down neighborhood. The austere and dignified Master Wong tries to protect his randy students from the corrupting influence of the brothel next-door, while investigating a gang of perverted Shoalin monks who have been abducting young women. In one great fighting scene, Master Wong is so disdainful of a convict with whom he is fighting that he refuses to stand up from his chair to defend himself (instead he conducts the whole fight with his butt in the chair).

A hilarious and fun movie, if about 10% too long.

New entry of ¨Last hero in China¨ with the mythical figure ¨ Wong Fei-hung¨, well performed by Jet Li

Author: ma-cortes
30 October 2007

This film produced by mythic Golden Harvest is based on a legendary Chinese character : Wong Fei-hung, basic figure in the Chinese folklore. He was a famous practicing of ¨Hung gar Kung Fu¨and ¨Tai Chi¨ and his character served as starring in various film from art martial history. Here is well played by Jet Li, Wong has changed his art- martial school in Canton but results he has just moved near a brothel. Wong is worried and a prostitutes attempt to lure him. Soon he's fighting exaggerated nasties, corrupts authorities, judge and a monks from a weird temple dedicated to slave-trading where are kidnapped beautiful girls for human traffic. Meanwhile, Wong is poisoned and turned deaf but is healed by acupuncture by a traveling artists. Ultimately, there take place the parade the lion against centipede dance-fight with a spectacular and breathtaking struggle with hyperbolic Kung Fu, plenty of kicks, bounds and leaps.

The Wong character, both a doctor and professor of martial art, served as starring in various movies from arts-martial cinema history. Wong figure reflects the Chinese cultural identity facing foreigner invasion that submitted China, especially during XIX century (Boxers war, Opium war). Wong was played by Jet Li in six occasions, and appears in the Jackie Chan's ¨Drunken master¨films, besides appears as secondary character in the new version of ¨Iron Monkey¨ also titled ¨Wong Fei Hung¨ with Donnie Yen. Here, Jet Li reprise splendidly his role who became him as a real star in Asian markets . Li is the biggest Asian movie star after Jackie Chan, he won Chinese national championship in the acrobatic martial art, Wushu. Jet Li, lights in his fighting , using Kung Fu special slicks : drunken boxing, tiger or crane technical though many confronting are filmed with goofy humor and silly comedy. The fights are choreographed by means of cables by Woo- Yuen Ping, author of choreography of hits as Fearless, Kunfu hustle, Danny the dog, Kill Bill and Matrix, among others.

Up there with Fist of Legend

Author: shuban (shuban14@yahoo.com) from London, England
16 December 2000

This film is amazing. The choreography work by Yuen Woo Ping is simply breath taking. Gnong Kau Chai as Legate Officer Lui in my view steals the film as possibly the best bad guy ever. His maniacal laughter and dialogue is but one of many good things in this film, another of which is Jet Li's gracious and best performance as Wong Fei Hung. Tak-Hing Kwan who for so many films had played the same character could feel as if he has successfully passed on his mantle to Li. The comic aspects of the film elevate this from Li's other films as Wong Fei Hung. The use of Wong's theme song ("Under the General's Orders") is my favourite thing about the film, especially when used by the hookers whose brothel is nest to Po Chee Lam (Wong Fei Hung's martial arts school). In a year in which Li made Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2, Tai Chi Master. If Jet Li was a fine wine people would say 1993 was en excellent year.

Jet Li propelled martial arts action comedy craziness

Author: t-birkhead from United Kingdom
19 July 2009

Like The Evil Cult, this one is directed by Wong Jing and starring Jet Li. Unlike that film though this is a more grounded affair, not that it doesn't contain a good portion of kookiness but there is some fine martial arts as well. Expertly choreographed by the great Yuen Woo Ping there is a terrific mixture of wire fu and more grounded work, the fights are splendidly put together, at turns amusing, crunching and marvellously kinetic. Jet Li plays Wong Fei Hung, but this film is a far cry from the serious minded Once Upon A Time In China series. Instead we get Wong Jings trademark thrilling frivolity, as Master Fei Hung and his students move in next to a brothel and discover a conspiracy of evil monks selling women into slavery. The pacing is fast and whilst the film is never especially funny, there's nothing too groan worthy in there and a few solid laughs can be had from the subtitles, which I suspect were not proof read for accuracy or coherence. For example, at one point this line is uttered: "My cousin can be claimed as foreigner, in fact a banana". Very strange. Anyways, this isn't setting out to be anything worthy or intellectual and in its easygoing way its very fine entertainment. Jet Li is as charming as ever, both a sublime fighter and an entertaining actor, and there are also good turns from veterans Leung Ka Yan and Gordon Liu. Also very handy is the abundance of beautiful women, from Sharla Cheung to Anita Yuen. The music is familiar from various other Hong Kong films but bustles along in fine rousing style. Happily, though there is no shortage of fight scenes the plot of the film is pretty interesting, it moves along and has enough turns and intrigue to be exciting stuff. And even if the plot doesn't grab, well its worth noting that there is a scene with Jet Li as an iron rooster, battling a centipede sent to disrupt a lion dance. Its as barmy and brilliant as it sounds and one of the films highlights. Altogether this may not be one of the true classics of martial arts cinema, but its so wonderfully entertaining that its hard to care about the dafter moments. If you can set aside prejudices against a bit of silliness (and really this is no sillier than any other film made by Wong Jing) then this is highly recommended. Quality stuff.

very good comic/grotesque kung-fu movie wire-moves extravaganza

Author: r-c-s from Italy
6 October 2007

this movie is very easy & nice to watch, bringing the parody/comic moments to the forefront, reaching grotesque levels at times. Won Fei Hung, the level headed virtuous master, is entrusted the leadership of some civic group on the ground of his unbridled virtue. While running his kung-fu school & medical practice he runs out of money and is evicted from his premises. A goofy fellow comes along offering them ample room for the school in exchange for kung-fu training. The only problem is the goofy fellow's "nieces" keep distracting kung-fu practitioners...and soon we learn the school shares its premises with a...brothel. Wong fei Hung is outraged but must defeat a gang trafficking women, and deal with his goofy disciples and evil martial artists, besides trying a poisonous drink on himself. This movie made me laugh. It isn't rocket science or award-winning stuff, but I liked this comic take. Plot is paper thin and garbled at times. Action moves are good, but of the moves-on-wires extravaganza kind. Recommended for unpretentious fun, taken for what it is.

Strangely out of line with the other Wong Fei Hong movies.

Author: Eric Yu (ericyu@brandeis.edu) from Boston, Massachusetts
18 February 1999

I was surprised at this movie. It seemed so unlike all the other Wong Fei Hong movies starring Jet Li. There were several hilarious gags in the movie, really funny stuff, but I also had a real problem with the casting for the role of Fu. Why they chose somebody who isn't a young rascal like the character has typically been, instead going for someone who looks much older than Jet Li, is beyond me.

The kung fu in this movie is pretty good, but the movie itself is overly comic. It's good, but not what I was prepared for in a Wong Fei Hong movie.

Humour adds spice to the too-serious violence

Author: pghenrik from Sweden
11 December 2004

Refreshing Chinese style humour, new to me, worth dozens of predictable Hollywood "blockbusters", because this is something we don' see everyday. I'm ignorant about kung-fu movies, but happy to see something new. I read a review that criticised the ending. That is very strange because at the end the good fighting scenes and the refreshing absurdities are married.

Compared with recent Jackie Chan movies, the makers of this movie seem to have some pride. The choreography is artistic and both the added music and the music that comes with the plot work well. I don't think the producers said "Let's make another Jet Li movie."

Witty and full of action! 6/10

Author: leonblackwood from United Kingdom
6 December 2014

Review: I quite enjoyed this funny authentic movie about a monk whose investigating the mysterious disappearance of girls in his village. With the help of some of the people in his Kung Fu class and a brothel owner, don't ask, they find out that there is much more going on in there village then they expected. For a person that doesn't like subtitles, I actually didn't mind reading the well put together script which was witty and full of twists and turns. It's not very often that you see Buddha monks living next to a brothel in a authentic oriental movie and the different characters made the film funny and a joy to watch. Once again, the flying fighting scenes spoil the action, but after watching a few Jet Li movies, I'm kind of getting use to it now. Enjoyable!

Round-Up: One of the things that made me laugh in this film was when they were fighting and naming the styles that they were using. It really reminded me of the old Kung Fu movies that I used to watch when I was young. I didn't get the point of the corrupt police officer who kept on laughing all of the time or why they were feeding people a deaf drug but maybe I missed some of the plot whilst reading the subtitles. Anyway, it's definitely worth a watch if your into movies in this genre.

Budget: N/A Worldwide Gross: HK$18million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their Jet Li movies about a Buddha monk whose investigating the mysterious disappearance of girls in his village. 6/10