IMDb > Witchboard 2 (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway

Witchboard 2 More at IMDbPro »Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway (original title)

"Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway"- 8/10. Not scary but entertaining nonetheless.

Author: movies2u from United States
11 February 2004

Witchboard 2

This movie has plenty of entertainment stuffed into it's 90 minute running time, but it isn't too scary. Witchboard 2 is about Paige, who moves into an artist loft apartment after leaving her boyfriend. While moving in, she finds a Oujia board inside a closet, and just for fun, begins to play around with it. But you can't play with a Witchboard as Paige soon learns, when she contacts the spirit who claims to be a former tennant of the apartment complex who was murdered. Then, people in the complex begin dying in weird ways, and Paige must uncover the spirit's true identity before it destroys her.

The actors here aren't too bad, and Laraine Newman is hilarious as the eccentric landlord. This film has some 'jump' sequences that jolt you, but no real horror to scare you with. The movie also has a good mystery to it. Good for horror fans, and not cheesy at all. Don't expect a super-cheapy movie, it isn't that bad. 8/10.

Not very scary, but fun and entertaining

Author: capkronos ( from Ohio, USA
11 May 2003

Shy, pretty, blonde Paige Benedict (Ami Dolenz) moves into an artists loft apartment, finds a OUIJA board in the closet and starts playing with it, eventually contacting the ghost of Susan Sidney (Julie Michaels), who claims to be a murder victim. Soon other tenants in the building start dying in mysterious ways and the same things happen to Dolenz that did for Tawny Kitaen in the original. It turns out Susan's ghost wants to get revenge on her murderers and while she's at it return to life by possessing Paige.

Although unscary, this sequel features good visuals, a few creative murders, likable characters, fine performances (especially the cute and charming Ami Dolenz) and a script with good plot twists. Laraine Newman has a great costarring role as the hippie landlady.

Fair sequel

Author: sgtking from United States
28 July 2011

In the 1980s, the film market was flooded with Horror films. By the 90s the genre had run out of a lot of steam, but then a new trend emerged. This was the era of "Straight to Video," where every Tom, Dick, and Harry that wanted to make movies and get them on the shelves could. One down side to this, though not always, was that a lot of acclaimed films received sequels that bypassed theatres and went to video. Some films don't need a sequel, but they get one anyway and sometimes they turn out OK. It took 7 years, but Kevin Tenney followed-up his 1986 cult hit 'Witchboard.' The result is not at all bad, but not terribly good either.

Pros: Acting is fine. Good and creepy score. Again Tenney does well at creating suspense. Also the writing is pretty good. Moves at a decent pace. Imaginative death scenes.

Cons: Again nothing here you haven't already seen. Sorely lacking in the scare department. Some of the dialogue could have used some polishing up. Twist is kind of disappointing, not to mention full of holes.

Final thoughts: Sometimes it's a good idea to wait when you make a sequel. However, in this case I think Tenney and Co. waited too long. Not that 'Witchboard 2' is awful, it just doesn't have the same spark as it's predecessor. It's still entertaining and well made, but is rough in some areas. See only if you like the first.

My rating: 2.5/5

Witchboard 2, I really wanted to like it.

Author: gokeymichael from United States
1 January 2014

I really wanted to like this. I am a fan of horror/supernatural films that range from the 50's up through the late 80's to early 90's. I have seen a lot of them and they all have their own hang-ups considering they are so aged compared to 2014. The problem with this movie isn't so much the movie itself as the choice for the lead actress. Sure, Amy Dolenz is very beautiful, but that voice and her acting is just pure hell. I wanted to contact a demon on my board just to shut her up. I would rather have Mickey Dolenz as the lead actress than Amy. The movie itself was what you would expect from the era and the genre, decent B quality stuff that keeps you entertained and you can poke fun at it because of the time. Give it a shot if you really must, but watch some other stuff first.

One of those sequels.....

Author: boomcar61 from United States
31 August 2005

'Witchboard 2:The Devil's Doorway' is the second film in director/writer Kevin Tierney's unorthodox trilogy of Ouija board films which center around, uh, well, Ouija boards...and their respective "evil spirits". This time around we have lovely and cute Ami Dolenz in the starring role. She plays Paige Benedict, an aspiring artist fresh out of a co-dependent relationship with policeman Mitch, who is now on her own for the first time. She rents an artists loft from a sleazy, overweight drunk named Jonas and his hippie wife Elaine(former SNL star Laraine Newman). Eventually Paige finds a Ouija board in her closet and out of curiosity she decides to play it and ultimately begins to converse with a spirit named Susan Sydney who claims to be the former tenant. Of course, Susan is helpful and friendly at first, revealing to Paige that one of her coworkers has stolen an important report from her. Next the spirit becomes demanding, and starts to off everyone associated with Paige unless Paige can call out Susan's murderer. Need I go on? We all know the drill, right? Same director, same writer, both the same person anyway, so of course the formula is familiar. The scare factor is just as high as the first film, and this time around the scare scenes are way better and will give you the chills. However, the spirit in part one was scarier as far as appearance is concerned. But I'm not complaining. Susan's appearance does suffice. :)

But the big reveal at the end in this one just ruined it for me. It was so hokey, and Susan's voice...and her was just plain bad. That's my only complaint. The acting is average, the characters are once again well written, especially for this type of movie, and it just has that odd ability of grabbing your attention every time. You want to know what happened to Susan Sydney, so you keep watching.

So for that I don't want to reveal anything else because, at least for me, 'Witchboard 2' is one of those movies that you like that always escapes memory, therefore you forget important plot details, so for me it's fun to come back and watch it every year or so.

On an interesting note, since this is considered a sequel, this is one of those occasions where overall it was better than the original...but not by much that's why I gave them the same rating. Only by a little bit, but still better. I think it's only because of Ami Dolenz. :)

6/10 is my rating. Followed by the final installment 'Witchboard III:The Possession'.

Not bad.

Author: Ryan K. (NewSilver21-1) from U.S.A.
14 April 2002

This is one of those movies that you must see. Ok, it's not as good as the first one but it is still worth renting. In this movie Kevin S. Tenney shows us everything that happened in the first, but this time with some better acting and better death scenes. For actors you have Ami Dolenz (Ticks), and Timothy Gibbs (Leprechaun 3). I didn't care for anyone else, except for Laraine Newman who played the "I'm still stuck in 1969 lady". She's a good actor, and plays the role of a hippie pretty well. (To be honest a little to well). If you liked "Witchboard" then you will probably like this one. Stay away from the third one. Kevin S. Tenney didn't even write that one. For Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway ~ 7/10 stars.

Better than the first one.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
10 August 2008

I didn't care much for Kevin S. Tenney's Witchboard: the script was weak, the acting was lousy (Tawny Kitaen, who played the central character, was more wooden than the Ouija board itself!), and the effects were cheap. However, this sequel, also by Tenney, is thankfully a lot better.

Sure, the plot isn't that original (essentially being little more than a retread of the first film), but Tenney seems to have polished his skills as a director a little, and has been wise enough to get himself a cast who can actually act.

This time around, it's a pretty young artist named Paige (Ami Dolenz) who discovers that meddling with the occult is not a good idea; she finds a Ouija board in the new loft apartment that she is renting, and, pretty soon, people are dying in mysterious circumstances, and she's becoming a foul mouthed sex-bomb (well, maybe not all the effects of a Ouija board are bad). Is the spirit she has been contacting attempting to possess her body, or just trying to bring to justice those responsible for her death?

Occasionally events get a little too silly (the scene where a man is pursued by a whirling saw blade is awful), but, on the whole, this is a step in the right direction for the series. Dolenz is easy on the eye (and her hair isn't quite as 'big' as Kitaen's), there are some reasonable jump scares, and Tenney throws in some quite impressive camera-work (a couple of moments might even give Dario Argento a run for his money, with the camera swooping down through a building window into the loft apartment, and, even better, passing through a moving car).

For a good time with the spirit world, call 1800 - Ouija board.

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
10 February 2007

Paige Benedict is a wannabe artist who moves into a large apartment loft and discovers an Ouija board in the closet. After trying it out she starts receiving messages from the other-side by the previous tenant Susan Sidney. Who claims that she was murdered. Paige suddenly gets caught up into finding out what happened to Susan, but along the way people start dying off by strange occurrences.

Well I've never seen the original, but there's no relationship between the two films that makes you have to seen them in any particular order. I was expecting something quite secondary, but Kevin Tenney's 'Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway' was a mostly fun and harmless little piece, which was competently directed with some nice inventive flourishes. While, it's not hard to figure out what's eventually going to happen (though the final twist got me) and the pacing can lumber along with long talky spells, but there are definite features that make up for these aspects. Tenney makes the most out of his budget to cook up some strikingly atmospheric camera-work, tautly effective music score, credible special effects and a humdrum script filled with some biting humour. There are some well staged action scenes that have energy and the edgy deaths are mildly inspired. Although they are rather tame. False jump scares are evident, but never fall into the cheap variety. It tries to be creepy in its set-up, but I found it to be too silly to be so. Laughable in patches, but it never gets overly cheesy. Although there are some totally unlikely (if moronic) plot developments in the script that will raise eyebrows. One thing that got on my nerves was the constant use of sounding out every single letter and letting us know what it spells when Ouija board comes into play. Sure I can hack it every now and then, but all the time. No way! At least we had a blond hottie doing it for us. Tenney sure does tease the viewer with the gorgeously dainty Ami Dolenz. Her perky performance is surprisingly good. Those looking for a bit of flesh will be highly disappointed. Laraine Newman is amusing as the flip-out hippie landlady. The beautiful Julie Michaels was fine as Susan. Timothy Gibbs, John Gatins and Christopher Michael as bawdy landlord were okay.

It's a decent enough time-waster that has a certain quirkiness and stylish feel to it all.

A splendid, creepy sequel!

Author: Prolox from Canada
8 November 2005

In this unrelated sequel to the original WITCHBOARD, a young artist named PAIGE moves into an apartment & finds a Ouija board in the closet, playing with the board connects her to a young woman spirit who claims to have been murdered & who wants Paige to help her find not only her body, but her killer as well, but it seems that there's much more that this ghost isn't telling Paige & that is that she also gets her kicks by bumping off the tenants of the apartment Paige is staying at, within time, the spirit in the board attempts to take over Paige & Paige discovers that despite the many friends who want to help her in her investigations, some of them are holding a very dark secret that connects with this vicious killer & may not be as trustworthy as she thought. Very spooky & very sexy horror flick that does not skimp on the creepiness & weird kills, the actors performed real well & the direction is still up to par. There's plenty of plot twists to keep you watching & the film always has something up it's sleeve to hold ones interest, fans who loved the first should definitely check this out, It's not great, but it's much better than most of the glossy CGI effects filled, WB casted horror films being released lately. Followed by the unrelated WITCHBOARD 3: THE Possession

***1/2 stars

Author: tedg ( from Virginia Beach
13 March 2004

Spoilers herein.

A truth about horror films is that you don't really visit the world of the story as much as the mind of the filmmaker(s). If there is a strange and scary mind there, you get creeped out. If it is skewed in some way, you can pick it up if there is any competence at all.

In this case, we have a story about a haunting, and the camera is placed so that we do that haunting. The story is irrelevant. Everything is focused on the apartment and the sailing ghostly eye that observes. We become the ghost.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.