IMDb > Witchboard 2 (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway

Witchboard 2 More at IMDbPro »Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway (original title)

"Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway"- 8/10. Not scary but entertaining nonetheless.

Author: movies2u from United States
11 February 2004

Witchboard 2

This movie has plenty of entertainment stuffed into it's 90 minute running time, but it isn't too scary. Witchboard 2 is about Paige, who moves into an artist loft apartment after leaving her boyfriend. While moving in, she finds a Oujia board inside a closet, and just for fun, begins to play around with it. But you can't play with a Witchboard as Paige soon learns, when she contacts the spirit who claims to be a former tennant of the apartment complex who was murdered. Then, people in the complex begin dying in weird ways, and Paige must uncover the spirit's true identity before it destroys her.

The actors here aren't too bad, and Laraine Newman is hilarious as the eccentric landlord. This film has some 'jump' sequences that jolt you, but no real horror to scare you with. The movie also has a good mystery to it. Good for horror fans, and not cheesy at all. Don't expect a super-cheapy movie, it isn't that bad. 8/10.

Not very scary, but fun and entertaining

Author: capkronos (capkronos00@hotmail.com) from Ohio, USA
11 May 2003

Shy, pretty, blonde Paige Benedict (Ami Dolenz) moves into an artists loft apartment, finds a OUIJA board in the closet and starts playing with it, eventually contacting the ghost of Susan Sidney (Julie Michaels), who claims to be a murder victim. Soon other tenants in the building start dying in mysterious ways and the same things happen to Dolenz that did for Tawny Kitaen in the original. It turns out Susan's ghost wants to get revenge on her murderers and while she's at it return to life by possessing Paige.

Although unscary, this sequel features good visuals, a few creative murders, likable characters, fine performances (especially the cute and charming Ami Dolenz) and a script with good plot twists. Laraine Newman has a great costarring role as the hippie landlady.

Fair sequel

Author: sgtking from United States
28 July 2011

In the 1980s, the film market was flooded with Horror films. By the 90s the genre had run out of a lot of steam, but then a new trend emerged. This was the era of "Straight to Video," where every Tom, Dick, and Harry that wanted to make movies and get them on the shelves could. One down side to this, though not always, was that a lot of acclaimed films received sequels that bypassed theatres and went to video. Some films don't need a sequel, but they get one anyway and sometimes they turn out OK. It took 7 years, but Kevin Tenney followed-up his 1986 cult hit 'Witchboard.' The result is not at all bad, but not terribly good either.

Pros: Acting is fine. Good and creepy score. Again Tenney does well at creating suspense. Also the writing is pretty good. Moves at a decent pace. Imaginative death scenes.

Cons: Again nothing here you haven't already seen. Sorely lacking in the scare department. Some of the dialogue could have used some polishing up. Twist is kind of disappointing, not to mention full of holes.

Final thoughts: Sometimes it's a good idea to wait when you make a sequel. However, in this case I think Tenney and Co. waited too long. Not that 'Witchboard 2' is awful, it just doesn't have the same spark as it's predecessor. It's still entertaining and well made, but is rough in some areas. See only if you like the first.

My rating: 2.5/5

Not bad.

Author: Ryan K. (NewSilver21-1) from U.S.A.
14 April 2002

This is one of those movies that you must see. Ok, it's not as good as the first one but it is still worth renting. In this movie Kevin S. Tenney shows us everything that happened in the first, but this time with some better acting and better death scenes. For actors you have Ami Dolenz (Ticks), and Timothy Gibbs (Leprechaun 3). I didn't care for anyone else, except for Laraine Newman who played the "I'm still stuck in 1969 lady". She's a good actor, and plays the role of a hippie pretty well. (To be honest a little to well). If you liked "Witchboard" then you will probably like this one. Stay away from the third one. Kevin S. Tenney didn't even write that one. For Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway ~ 7/10 stars.

Decent, but still nothing much

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
26 April 1999

Much like the original, this is a reasonably entertaining film, but still nothing to brag about. I'd say that this was a little silly, even by horror film standards, but unlike most horror movies, I wasn't ever bored while watching this. However, like all other horror films that I have seen, this movie isn't scary, and the story isn't nearly interesting enough or funny enough to overlook this problem. This film was a decent time killer, but if you're looking for a good movie, try something else.

More-of-the-same sequel.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
7 October 2014

Writer / director Kevin Tenney's belated sequel to his breakthrough film stars Ami Dolenz ("Ticks") as Paige, a young accountant and aspiring artist who finds an old ouija board inside her new apartment. She uses it to come into contact with the spirit of a former tenant, who's hungry for vengeance. She falls into the same trap as the Tawny Kitaen character in the first film, becoming addicted to using the board while also determined to solve the mystery of the spirits' death and the location of their body.

Tenney doesn't really bring anything new to the table here. His story is reasonably entertaining if never exactly scary. A large part of why it remains so watchable is the lovely Ms. Dolenz, who creates an inherently appealing character. (However, she doesn't always have the greatest material, having to state the painfully obvious more than once.) Some of the camera moves are more impressive than one might expect. The very few murder set pieces come off as so goofy that they're at odds with most of the film, which is played pretty straight. Supplying some comedy relief is the ever reliable Laraine Newman, who's very funny as the hippie-ish landlord.

Don't go in hoping for a lot of gore, or much of a body count. Instead, we get a story that's rather similar to what we saw the first time. One difference is the restless ghost; Julie Michaels is undeniably extremely sexy in the role but she's nowhere near as creepy as J.P. Luebsen. Filling out the rest of the cast are Timothy Gibbs ("The Kindred") as the initially unlikable ex-boyfriend, future Oscar-nominated screenwriter John Gatins ("Flight") as young photographer Russel, a delightful Marvin Kaplan ("Wild at Heart") as an old occult specialist, and Christopher Michael Moore as a horny handyman. "Witchboard" 1 star Todd Allen has a cameo near the end.

There is one highlight involving a runaway car, and overall the films yields some modest entertainment.

Six out of 10.

Witchboard 2, I really wanted to like it.

Author: gokeymichael from United States
1 January 2014

I really wanted to like this. I am a fan of horror/supernatural films that range from the 50's up through the late 80's to early 90's. I have seen a lot of them and they all have their own hang-ups considering they are so aged compared to 2014. The problem with this movie isn't so much the movie itself as the choice for the lead actress. Sure, Amy Dolenz is very beautiful, but that voice and her acting is just pure hell. I wanted to contact a demon on my board just to shut her up. I would rather have Mickey Dolenz as the lead actress than Amy. The movie itself was what you would expect from the era and the genre, decent B quality stuff that keeps you entertained and you can poke fun at it because of the time. Give it a shot if you really must, but watch some other stuff first.

One of those sequels.....

Author: boomcar61 from United States
31 August 2005

'Witchboard 2:The Devil's Doorway' is the second film in director/writer Kevin Tierney's unorthodox trilogy of Ouija board films which center around, uh, well, Ouija boards...and their respective "evil spirits". This time around we have lovely and cute Ami Dolenz in the starring role. She plays Paige Benedict, an aspiring artist fresh out of a co-dependent relationship with policeman Mitch, who is now on her own for the first time. She rents an artists loft from a sleazy, overweight drunk named Jonas and his hippie wife Elaine(former SNL star Laraine Newman). Eventually Paige finds a Ouija board in her closet and out of curiosity she decides to play it and ultimately begins to converse with a spirit named Susan Sydney who claims to be the former tenant. Of course, Susan is helpful and friendly at first, revealing to Paige that one of her coworkers has stolen an important report from her. Next the spirit becomes demanding, and starts to off everyone associated with Paige unless Paige can call out Susan's murderer. Need I go on? We all know the drill, right? Same director, same writer, both the same person anyway, so of course the formula is familiar. The scare factor is just as high as the first film, and this time around the scare scenes are way better and will give you the chills. However, the spirit in part one was scarier as far as appearance is concerned. But I'm not complaining. Susan's appearance does suffice. :)

But the big reveal at the end in this one just ruined it for me. It was so hokey, and Susan's voice...and her laugh...it was just plain bad. That's my only complaint. The acting is average, the characters are once again well written, especially for this type of movie, and it just has that odd ability of grabbing your attention every time. You want to know what happened to Susan Sydney, so you keep watching.

So for that I don't want to reveal anything else because, at least for me, 'Witchboard 2' is one of those movies that you like that always escapes memory, therefore you forget important plot details, so for me it's fun to come back and watch it every year or so.

On an interesting note, since this is considered a sequel, this is one of those occasions where overall it was better than the original...but not by much that's why I gave them the same rating. Only by a little bit, but still better. I think it's only because of Ami Dolenz. :)

6/10 is my rating. Followed by the final installment 'Witchboard III:The Possession'.

For a good time with the spirit world, call 1800 - Ouija board.

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
10 February 2007

Paige Benedict is a wannabe artist who moves into a large apartment loft and discovers an Ouija board in the closet. After trying it out she starts receiving messages from the other-side by the previous tenant Susan Sidney. Who claims that she was murdered. Paige suddenly gets caught up into finding out what happened to Susan, but along the way people start dying off by strange occurrences.

Well I've never seen the original, but there's no relationship between the two films that makes you have to seen them in any particular order. I was expecting something quite secondary, but Kevin Tenney's 'Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway' was a mostly fun and harmless little piece, which was competently directed with some nice inventive flourishes. While, it's not hard to figure out what's eventually going to happen (though the final twist got me) and the pacing can lumber along with long talky spells, but there are definite features that make up for these aspects. Tenney makes the most out of his budget to cook up some strikingly atmospheric camera-work, tautly effective music score, credible special effects and a humdrum script filled with some biting humour. There are some well staged action scenes that have energy and the edgy deaths are mildly inspired. Although they are rather tame. False jump scares are evident, but never fall into the cheap variety. It tries to be creepy in its set-up, but I found it to be too silly to be so. Laughable in patches, but it never gets overly cheesy. Although there are some totally unlikely (if moronic) plot developments in the script that will raise eyebrows. One thing that got on my nerves was the constant use of sounding out every single letter and letting us know what it spells when Ouija board comes into play. Sure I can hack it every now and then, but all the time. No way! At least we had a blond hottie doing it for us. Tenney sure does tease the viewer with the gorgeously dainty Ami Dolenz. Her perky performance is surprisingly good. Those looking for a bit of flesh will be highly disappointed. Laraine Newman is amusing as the flip-out hippie landlady. The beautiful Julie Michaels was fine as Susan. Timothy Gibbs, John Gatins and Christopher Michael as bawdy landlord were okay.

It's a decent enough time-waster that has a certain quirkiness and stylish feel to it all.

This movie rocks!!!!

Author: ryan kelly (demonictoys55@aol.com) from U.S.
29 April 2001

This is surely the best of the Witchboard trilogy. Ami Dolenz is a hotty and played a good role. John Gatins from "Leprechaun 3" starred in this movie. For his first movie he did a great job. I loved the story line and how the whole movie just blew me away. No it isn't the best ghost movie ever made but it is sure one of them. But overall the movie is great, if you see it rent it. Be sure not to miss the basement scene. I gave this movie over a 10. I say about a 13.