IMDb > Videogramme einer Revolution (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Videogramme einer Revolution More at IMDbPro »

wow

Author: auweia1 from United States
5 May 2006

We didn't get too much on the news here in San Francisco when this happened in 1989, just some general snippets. We knew in general what had happened, that there was a coup, that Nicolae Ceausescu was executed, etc, but not many people here really knew what happened. There was a lot of confusion, misinformation and general lack of any in depth coverage as to what was really happening at the time. National Public Radio provided the most in depth coverage, but even they didn't quite get the whole thing when it was actually happening. Mostly likely because of things like media blackouts, competing propaganda, etc. This movie shows far more than anything I ever saw reported here. This has just been released by Facets video and I was able to rent it on DVD via Netflix.

Americans might dismiss this sort of thing as old Soviet era cold war communist events that could only happen then and in those places, and while nothing comes close to this sort of revolution in the West, there are hints of that here, and that is scary. The basic issues of who controls the media are still there in both cases, omnipresent police at demonstrations, tanks in the street, like Los Angeles last year, the ignorance of the elite and refusal to recognize the common peoples problems, lies, counter lies, allegiances and loyalty, the military allegiance to > the people or the president?....Does the recent US military (retired) generals criticism of Donald Rumsfeld ring a bell?

Yep, it's pretty complicated stuff folks,and this film shows it all.It should be required viewing for all young people everywhere. Why? Because it serves as a reminder of what can happen when too many people become unhappy. It reminds people of how delicate many situations are around the world, even today. How easily a situation can deteriorate unless leaders are mighty careful.

I'm online in some discussion groups with people in Romania and nearby Slovenia and surrounding countries. In many areas, much of this was carried live in the region, but not everything. As the films shows, there were media blackouts. That's true indeed.

This will take some time, but I believe that the subtitles made for the DVD are not quite complete....We think they can be improved to get a better understanding. I'm working with my Romanian friends who do remember this and do know English to maybe eventually send Facets video a nice time stamped text file. Maybe they can release an updated second edition. After all, it should be the Romanians themselves who see this documentary and help the world better understand what happened via the English text/subtitles or any other language. It's their history, and by extension, everybody's history.

also, none of my friends in Romania recognize this video as being widely available there. We're working on getting them a copy.

Outstanding documentary, I give it a 9.0

Mostly it's because this documentary shows,like no other I have seen, how a huge number of people can turn, on the edge of a pin

Jeff Webb, San Francisco May 5, 2006

"It Can't Happen Here" - Frank Zappa 1966

Documentary that observes the fall of the Ceausescu regime from the inside.

Author: kellyh1 from United States
27 September 2005

This film shows the Romanian revolt against the Ceausescu regime and the occupation of the national television studios by the people of the country. It contains actual inside footage and replays of the broadcasts made by the leaders of the revolt. One of the most important aspects of the film is the importance that television and video played in the success of the revolution. I was a student of Mr. Farocki for a semester in 2002, and feel that a review by me would be unfairly biased. So, if anyone else has seen it, please submit your review. Two other documentaries I have seen by Mr. Farocki that stand out in my mind would be Images of the World and the Inscription of War, also, What we See (Wie man Sieht, I think).