IMDb > The Vanishing (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Vanishing

The Vanishing More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Watchable, but quite unrewarding mystery thriller.

Author: silverzero from Dungarvan, Ireland
10 May 2003

For a film that lasts two hours, very little worth notice happens within that time. The result is an OK but cliche drenched low budget thriller. The performances are standard, the best being from Jeff Bridges as the eerie killer. There's also some minor overacting from Nancy Travis and an absolutely wasted part for Sandra Bullock. Nonetheless the film is also tense and engaging, even if it does take a while to get to the point. It is quite clever in parts and even a bit funny. It would have been better had it not been for its cheap and un-rewarding finish. Perhaps a better stage and a more carefully devised script would have helped. It's alright but this genre has been done much better in other films. "The Vanishing" is only barely average. My IMDb rating: 5.0/10.

Really overrated out here, to my opinion.

Author: disbonjourateslapins from France
14 February 2006

After having read so many rave reviews of this movie on IMDb, I finally bought a copy of this movie on Amazon. I was really disappointed about it. The music is definitely too eighties, and the general atmosphere of the movie reminds me too much of most of what french TV produces when it tries to make a TV show look like a film noir. The end is good, but I still think it is really overrated on these pages ! Still it's interesting, from a french point of view, to see that Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu can do on this job as he's a quite underrated actor in France. I cannot not think did not inspire Michael Haneke for the first sequence of Funny Games, it's really the same thing.

Waste of time

Author: finch6789@aol.com from New England
5 January 2004

This film started out as promising and had a very few tense moments, but the stupidity of the characters really irritated me more than anything else. I lost count how many times people got into strangers' cars in this movie ! Four? Five? My husband and I were watching this, yelling at the television "Come on!". And the ending ! If two people really went through what these people did, I HIGHLY doubt they would EVER be laughing about it at the end. I couldn't believe it. Do not waste your time on this. The characters are foolish and dull, the plot has many loose ends, and the ending was LUDICROUS !

Well-conceived drama that becomes a big let-down in the final act.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
1 January 2004

It is relatively easy to have a good idea for a movie, and to develop that idea, but pulling everything together into a good ending is far more difficult. This version of 'The Vanishing' is a good example of the latter, where our attention is held all the way, only to be sadly disappointed with the ending. Sandra Bullock and Kiefer Sutherland make a cute couple, driving around the Pacific Northwest with bicycles on the roof of the car. Jeff Bridges breaks out of his usual characterizations and plays a Chemistry professor with a slight foreign (French?) accent who feels he must prove to himself that he is capable of evil, to balance out his daughter's perception of him as a hero. So the whole story examines the younger man's obsession of finding out the details of why his girlfriend disappeared at the gas station, and the older man's obsession with doing something sinister. This is, by all written accounts, an inferior remake of the Dutch movie, 'Spoorloos' (1988), and my next quest is to find a copy of that movie and view it.

SPOILERS follow, please quit reading NOW!!

The professor used chloroform to subdue his victim. After 3+ years of the boyfriend's hunting for her, including posters, the prof sends a card telling him to meet and he will find out what he wants to know. He makes him drink coffee with a sedative 'so that you will know exactly what happened to her.' Then he is buried in a pine box, and left to die, presumably what had happened 3+ years earlier to his girlfriend. New girlfriend figures out where they are (at the old camp), fights the prof, digs up her boyfriend, who then kills the prof with a shovel into the mouth. The whole final act is disingenuous. I rate it 5 of 10 for some good suspense but not overall a satisfying movie.

Melodramatic

Author: sibisi73 from United Kingdom
14 August 2001

Without reverting to comparisons with the original, 'The Vanishing' is worth sticking with, despite it's derivative ending. Well, what do you expect from a 'Hollywood' movie? Everything that comes out of that place is devoid of any originality! Still, at least the story in itself is enough to give this movie a slight edge. Unfortunately Jeff Bridges has a ridiculous accent, and isn't very scary at all, and the finale is a big bunch of cliches. All too melodramatic, but it does have it's moments.

A very good thriller

Author: martymaster (martymaster@hotmail.com) from Fredrikstad, Norway
10 August 2001

This is a very breath-taking movie about a very clever killer.

The movie is about Jeff played by Kiefer Sutherland who are on the road with his girl friend Rita played by Sandra Bullock when she suddenly disappear. Jeff uses a lot of time trying to find her,but after a while he gives up. After a while he gets contacted by a man who claims that he knows where Rita is and Jeff decides to go with him to find out.What he dont know is that this new guy is the kidnaper.

Jeff Bridges does an amazing job as the psycho Barney. This movie is so intense and well played that you have to take a break to breath.

A really scary thriller about what can happen in real life.

I gave it a 8 out of 10

Yawn

Author: tfrizzell from United States
27 November 2000

Overly long and boring remake of director George Sluizer's earlier film of the same name. Kiefer Sutherland stars as a man obsessed with finding his missing girlfriend (Sandra Bullock, in a short role). Jeff Bridges is the crazed man who kidnapped and killed her for unknown reasons. Now they get involved in a strange chess match which may result in Sutherland's demise as well. Nancy Travis is also along as the new girlfriend who cannot shake the ghost of Bullock. The film is just not sure where it wants to go. The direction is slow, annoying, and unspectacular. The screenplay is fuzzy, it never does make as much sense as it should. "The Vanishing" is a strange film that plays more like a disjointed dream than a motion picture. In the end you will be lucky if you have not fallen asleep with this yawner. 2 stars out of 5.

Impotent remake of a powerful movie

Author: David Waterston (david.waterston@bigfoot.com) from London, England
7 August 1999

In a desperate attempt to cash in by dumbing down a successful European movie, 'Spoorloos', for an American multiplex audience with the attention span of a cat, this laughable attempt at movie making simultaneously manages to miss the whole point of the original and totally fails on its own limited, star struck, terms.

See Original

Author: Tony-211 from Pittsburgh
23 April 1999

I made the mistake of watching this one first, then I rented Spoorloos on DVD and watched that one. The Dutch-French original was much better, and I was sorry that I watched this one first, it sort of ruined the "good" version for me.

Acting is just OK, story lousy and the film boring.

Author: Draxx from Toronto, Canada
20 April 1999

In order for a movie to get at least 6/10 in my book, I must enjoy watching it over and over again. The dramatic impact of The Vanishing is there only for the first time; after that it is boring and uninspiring. For a movie like this, not boosted by any special effects or memorable scenery, the acting must be superb in order for it to be above average. Acting is not bad, and is much better than in movies I give higher rating, but is not good enough to make this film worth the effort. I also get tired by all those psychotic characters that get off on making an amusing death for their victims. All in all, The Vanishing is a boring movie which gets 4/10.

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]