IMDb > "The Uptown Comedy Club" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Uptown Comedy Club" More at IMDbPro »

Bigger Better Things

Author: williebobo95 from Trenton, NJ, USA
1 March 2004

Flex Alexander,Lisa Nicole Carson,Tracy Morgan and Yvette Wilson have had fine careers. Jim Breuer,Debra Wilson,Paula Jai Parker and Joe Torry have had decent careers. Monteria Ivey passed away.

The "Yo Mama" contest was called "The Dozens" an insult filled street game played primarily in the African American community.

Really funny memories

Author: kinskimonkey from California
6 September 2003

This show was on in Los Angeles late on Saturday nights during the fall of 1992. I remember it being very consistently funny. It had a predominantly African-American cast, but there were a couple of white performers, notably Jim Breuer.

On each episode they'd have a "your mama's so..." contest. I remember hearing such great lines as "your mama's so black, when I look at her I think I'm asleep", and "your mama's so fat, she went outside wearing an "X" jacket and a helicopter landed on her back". That one still makes me laugh.

I hope the performers all went on to do bigger and better things, they certainly deserved to.

I remember this..

Author: littlejoe1722 from Central California Coast
11 February 2007

Back in the day when I think I was about 14 I remember Tracy Morgan would come out in bike shorts, bike hat, a little backpack and a Kool hanging out his mouth. They would do your mom jokes it was the funniest stuff. It was on real late though.

God I'm old. I can for the life of me remember any of the jokes but to a 14 year old it was comedy gold. I hope this comes out on DVD at least to satisfy my curiosity of how developed my sense of humor was back then.

I loved this show. It was on after MTV raps with Dr. Dre and Ed Lover. I need ten lines for his but it was great.

They should bring shows like this back for the simple reason that SNL is no longer funny. Morgan was hilarious, "hilarious" in his fashion. He was great. I miss the good old days.