IMDb > Undercover Blues (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Quaid's got it made..

Author: Benjamin Wolfe from USA
1 April 2007

Kathleen Turner has been, since I first remember her, a solid actress that is great in serious and excels too in comedy roles, but this is a little slice of family Heaven! A Government.agent in the field, with a husband and a baby too. Oh, yeah the husband is an operative as well. The fun is just beginning! talk about a super-fun story that is propelled by great actors and actresses, this is carried by firstly, Dennis Quaid and Stanley Tucci, along with the hilarious Larry Miller, a New Orleans Detective, (well known for his college Dean roles in the Nutty Professor I and II).

Stanley is fit to be tied, as a major force for evil. He is 'Death' or in Spanish Matar, but is called Muerte'. He is a seriously dangerous underworld street rat! Very scary!! Muerte' is the eyes and ears of the streets, and in that he operates throughout Orleans. Then there's Dennis Quaid. Mr Blues, he brings so much 'energy' to this part it's amazing!! Johnny on the spot in the spy business is Quaid's 'Blues' Dennis just takes over, surrounding this tale of underworld street rats and spies with his very clever wit and killer humor and speed along with sprite-strength. He is unstoppable in this movie! I laughed and so did the friends that went with me to see this fun-paced undercover action-adventure.

Kathleen Turner and Stanley Tucci and Dennis Quaid make this a real treat. I recommend this as a super comedy, being somewhat hard-to-please I can recommend this without hesitation to any friend with a good sense of comedy!!

Movies like this don't come along often. (*****)

Not a movie to miss!

Author: ltndncr59 from Las Vegas, NV, USA
8 November 2007

I could watch this film over and over! Stanley Tucci takes stereotype to hilarious new heights. Quaid is cute and never falters from his role, and Kathleen Turner... what can one say. Her voice alone should be recorded for phone sex lines. The plot is so contrived that it adds to the comedy, and the Eastern European villain is delicious. She affects an accent that is worthy of an academy award (Meryl Streep got one for "Sophia's Choice," didn't she?). Park Overall is under-rated in everything she does, and she is an excellent foil for the Blue's hi-jinx. Even the baby has some great scenes. I loved the backdrop of New Orleans, my favorite city in the US, and I even recognized several spots. If you like goofy, stupid cops (who ultimately serve a purpose), a plot and a script that bow to the gods of humor, and some excellent comedic acting, this is a movie you shouldn't miss. I can only hope that someone realizes the genius of this movie and puts it on DVD, 'cause my video cassette is wearing out!

10 years later it's still a "10"

Author: barthel from St. Louis, MO
12 April 2003

Until I bought the DVD, I'd never seen the trailer for "Undercover Blues". Now that I have, I understand why so many critics and IMDb users have panned this classic: the trailer creates the wrong expectations. (It's either that or they've undergone a severe trauma to the patella...)

Like the fingerpainting that dissolves into the first scene, this is comedy painted with broad strokes. If you love old-fashioned comedy like Abbott and Costello, Lucille Ball, or Carol Burnett, you'll love this. Trust me--even though I speak very little Spanish.

Barthel's Top Ten Reasons to watch "Undercover Blues":

10. Nemans: Park Overall-'nuff said. Tom Arnold is obnoxious, but likeable.

9. JFK conspiracy reference: Clay Shaw

8. Turner and Shaw go mud wrestling

7. BB King *does* make children's records

6. Obba Babatundé (Lt. Ted Sawyer) has unexpected depths

5. Dixieland and Jazz

4. Great chemistry between Kathleen Turner (sharpshooter extrordinaire, martial arts expert, brains of the team) and Dennis Quaid (competent smart-aleck [he's just had more training])

3. Fiona Shaw as the "unforgettable" Paulina Novacek: "The colonel will no longer be working with us."

2. Stanley Tucci's over-the-top performance as the self-aggrandizing mugger, Muerte.

1. Fisher-Price barnyard cows really moo

A Very Fun Movie

Author: shawn00 from New Jersey
29 May 2002

If you're looking for a movie that's just pure fun, rent Undercover Blues. This isn't a deep plot with a serious storyline, it's just an entertaining movie.

Jeff (Dennis Quaid) and Jane (Kathleen Turner) Blue are spies on maternity leave and vacationing in New Orleans. Despite their desire to live "normal lives", they get drawn into a case against an old nemesis while being tormented by a local mugger (Stanley Tucci).

The characters are purely entertaining and the actors look like they are truly having a good time. Dennis Quaid is so casual and relaxed no matter what the situation and Kathleen Turner compliments him so well you wonder why they didn't do more films together. Stanley Tucci truly steals the show as the hapless bully who just chose to pick on the wrong guy.

This movie is full of laughs and just plain fun. You'll be repeating the lines for days afterwards!

Extremely Worthwhile View

Author: skallisjr from Tampa, FL United States
11 October 2005

Nearly a decade ago, I showed my mother a tape of this film. She was in her high 80s, though she hadn't lost her mental acuity. Her first comment, as it was rewinding was, "When will the sequel be out?" I wish there had been one.

The film starts out lighthearted, and continues that way. Having visited New Orleans, I found it a pleasant reminder of my visits.

The idea is simple. Two married high-powered espionage agents are on leave from their agency when a crisis brings them back into action. But they are a happy-go-lucky couple, and treat their case the same way.

The street hood, Muerte, encounters Mr. Blue, and gets a severe trouncing. So, he plans a vendetta, which gets mixed up in the Blues' real mission. The real mission turns out to be a bit Byzantine, but by the end of the picture, a knotty diplomatic mission has been solved successfully.

This one goes well on repeated viewings. Paying attention, a viewer will spot hints as to forthcoming moves.

I understand that it did only so-so at the box office. A pity.

Surprisingly good

Author: Boyo-2
24 April 2001

I did not expect much when I decided to watch this, but in point of fact its a very funny and clever movie with a lot going for it. Quaid and Turner have some real chemistry. This is easily Turner's best movie in the last eight years but that's not saying much I guess. Dennis Quaid's easy-going manner and joyful grin are perfect for the part.

Stanley Tucci is a riot as "Muerte", a bumbling wanna-be gangster who appears to have seen Al Pacino's "Scarface" once too many times. In many ways, its Tucci's movie and he makes the most of it.

Fiona Shaw is also appropriately over the top as a woman/criminal with a crush on Quaid, and there are other familiar faces in the case too.

All in all, a welcome surprise.

Greatness abounds

Author: MCPAnnie from Canada
7 May 2005

This movie is hilarious!

Watching the things the one character will go through and keep coming back for more amazes me every time.

I love the character Denis Quaid pulls off so well. The casting was really done well for this film.

All the actors in this film must have had such a time keeping in character with the shenanigans that happen.

This is another film I would love to be able to add to my DVD collection if it ever comes out to DVD.

Comedy at its best.

You're The One Who Got Beat Up By The Guy With The Baby!

Author: ArchAngel Michael from Quis Ut Deus ?
18 February 2016

Spoilers Ahead:

As another good reviewer wrote, Tucci saves this movie as the unforgettably worst criminal ever seen on film: 'Muerte.' If he means his own death, which he nearly causes all through the movie, the nickname is apposite. The movie is worth owning for all of his scenes which are hilarious. The Blues are retired secret agents, with their new baby girl, on vacation in New Orleans. They are pressured into one more mission because this dangerously crazy terrorist named Novacek has got her hands on super deadly plastic explosives. The charm of the movie is the writing which is stocked with great witty chatter. I love when Muerte, returning to his local criminal bar, is surrounded by the locals. They are all chuckling,"We heard you had a little trouble tonight. Yes, well was it the guy who beat you up or that cute little baby?" What makes the movie a relaxing night's distraction is that there is zero tension, the couple are invincible, nobody has the slightest chance against them. In Muerte's first fight with Jeff, he uses one arm and one leg to kick his butt badly. Later, when Muerte tries to bull rush him, at the zoo, Jeff pivots, and Muerte winds up in the alligator pen with about a dozen alligators. The movie is as light as cotton candy, firmly tongue in cheek, truly it is more of a comedy than an action picture.

Quaid turns in a great comic performance, harassing Novacek's contacts," I just came here to the bank to meet you, do you mind if I take a few action photos of you?" He looks into the bank's security camera, after scaring the crap out of the pudgy banker, he breaks into this grin that will make you die laughing. The critics focused their attacks on their smug invincibility but this is the charm. They travel through the mission with a few dirt spots on their clothes, that is about it. All through the movie, whenever it starts to drag, Muerte shows up to lose more teeth and get more of his ass kicked. He even makes the mistake of contacting Novacek, what a bad idea. She is excellent, quite cordial, like to the colonel who brings her the explosives, she discovers that he had to use one sixth of her shipment to escape. While kindly bantering with him, she steers him to the grain elevator and unceremoniously pushes him off,"We won't be working with the colonel anymore." Quaid and Turner have good romantic chemistry between them and seem to be having as much fun making the movie as we do watching it.

The tone of the movie will relax you so that it is truly a tension relieving film. These two barely break a sweat going through all the danger. There are two policemen sent to supervise them, good luck, they also have just grabbed hold of a roller-coaster. This is the only Herbert Ross movie I own, he strikes the careful balance, they are professionals, sure of themselves but not arrogant. They both could have killed Muerte all through the movie but they just feel so sorry for him. Tucci never gave a better performance, this really is his movie. No, it isn't an eternal classic but after you are dead tired from working, put it on and relax. Zero Tension and Funny. Q.E.D.

Pure Entertainment!

Author: William James Harper from Los Angeles
14 February 2009

Don't pay attention to the ratings. The numbers should be at least an 8 not a mere 5+. This movie is pure entertainment with enough funny lines to fill a book. All the characters are memorable and lots of fun to watch. Read the Quotes section under FUN STUFF to get a preview of what you will enjoy. I don't think I've laughed so often and so hard in a long time watching a movie. This one is a must see.

Turner and Quaid as Mr. and Mrs. Blue, a happily married spy couple, is as much fun as the Thin Man series was. And the Blues have a baby which the bring along on most of their escapades. I have seen this movie two times and it got better the second time around because I was able to catch some of the fast throw away lines which are real gems.

A Brainless But Entertaining Comedy

Author: tabuno from utah
3 February 2009

Undercover Blues represents the best of the dumb comedies with prat falls, stupid comic routines and stunts. But this precursor to Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005) with Brad Pitt and Anglina Jolie has it all - the action, the simple straightforward plot so that one can just focus on the crazy antics. There are subtle twists and turns, like a magician which makes this fun comedy an above average, sometimes seemingly intelligent movie. There isn't any deep meaning here and is a genuinely PG movie. The use of the baby is never threatening and the situations are always likely comfortably acceptable. Overall, this is just a romp of getaway chuckles. 7/10.

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]