IMDb > Undercover Blues (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

This is one fun movie!

Author: Reel_entertainment from Baltimore, MD
27 August 2001

Not many movies keep you wanting to watch, like this one does. The plot is very simple; 2 spies on a vacation are asked to do a job while in New Orleans. The outcome...? One hilarious movie! Dennis Quaid & Kathleen Turner are great as Mr. & Mrs. Blue, the title roles. During the movie while they are fighting the bad guys, they're either bickering over their vacation or what they want to name their daughter. The standout of this movie is Stanley Tucci, who plays street thug Muerte. After a botched mugging of Mr. Blue, which leads to Muerte getting beat up with a stroller, Muerte constantly is following the Blues in the movie to get revenge. You won't be disappointed with this movie!

This is a funny, enjoyable comedy that Stanley Tucci walks away with!

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
6 September 2001

A word to those out there who view cinema as either High Art (CAPITALS clearly audible and firmly enunciated) or that it must have Meaning (ditto): This is not your movie, nor was it made with you as its audience. It is light, funny and meant to entertain. It does this fairly well. You may not like this, but, then, you don't have to. Last time I looked, films as art or with meaning exist. Watch them-I do. I also watch movies as well as films. Having both is not a mutually-exclusive proposition. The Bicycle Thief and Rashomon will not spontaneously combust because this film exists-or vice versa. End of sermon.

Dennis Quaid is funny, Kathleen Turner is a scream, the supporting cast is great (the two detectives, Larry Miller and Obba Babatunde are a riot), but Stanley Tucci, as Muerte, steals the movie. I don't care if the plot has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese! Park your brain at the door and just enjoy. So it's not GWTW. That's okay-we already have one of those. Highly recommended.

Supporting Cast Adds Spark

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
7 July 2006

As in every comedy, there are things that are very funny and things that are annoying or stupid. You just hope that the "good" outweighs the "bad." I think that's the case here, even though I traded in the tape. However, I did watch it a couple of times, so there are enough laughs to make this worth seeing. There are enough odd characters, too. That's no surprise when you see the supporting cast: Stanley Tucci, Larry Miller, Fiona Shaw and Tom Arnold. All of them put added spark to the film. Tucci, as "Meurte," is most obvious as he continually tries to mug the leading couple, played by Kathleen Turner and Dennis Quaid. Miller plays a weird cop with a lisp and a very weird accent. I guess you could call this movie "quirky."

Turner and Quaid are so smug as modern-day Nick and Nora Charles, you want to root for "Muerte" to succeed. Frankly, I never found Turner, except perhaps in "Body Heat," to be that alluring. However, I think she is an underrated comedienne.

As a whole, this comedy is a little rough in spots, hence the PG-13 rating which often means more profanity than R-rated films. This is not for the kiddies, but adults will laugh.

music, beauty, sex, comedy, spies and crime, - what more could you want from a movie?

Author: bobsunman from United Kingdom
26 December 2005

Seen Harry Potter? His aunt, Mrs Dursley? Now see the same woman - Fiona Shaw, as Paulina in Undercover Blues, - all long legs and muddy in a cat fight. But, I guess, Stanley Tucci stole the film in one of the funniest performances I have ever seen. This is an absolute "must see" for anyone who loves to laugh. Buy it rent it, blackmail your local cinema to show it, - but somehow get to see this wonderful movie. From the opening in New Orleans with a happy jazz background, to funeral marches, blues and some of the best music on the planet, this flic will keep your feet tapping. The stunts and fight scenes are witty and great fun, while the husky, sexy voiced Ms Turner in her undies is yet another wonderful bonus! Go See The Movie, - or the boogie man will getcha!

Okay, so it's not Alfred Hitchcock

Author: Jean from Lawrenceville, GA
30 June 2002

This is not Great Cinema, and it's not supposed to be. It's "I've had a bad day and don't want to think too hard" lighthearted fun. Not only are Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner great as Jeff and Jane Blue, but the supporting cast of Stanley Tucci ("that's 'MUERTE', as in 'DEATH'), Fiona Shaw (now perfect as Harry Potter's Aunt Petunia Dursley), Obba Babatunde and Larry Miller as the outclassed detectives, and Tom Arnold and Park Overall as the "normal" couple for balance make the whole cast shine. Park your brain, relax, enjoy, and remember, even GWTW is NOT "GWTW".

funny enjoyable movie

Author: clp9292 from Aggieland
18 February 1999

Undercover Blues is a great, enjoyable movie. The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's not supposed to. You just have to go along with it and have a good time. The characters and their entertaining dialog are what make this film great. Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner are great as undercover agents Jeff and Jane Blue. Their interactions with the local police and Muerte are hilarious and the movie flows very nicely despite the fact that the plot is less than realistic. The movie is definitely worth the three bucks to rent at the video store, or in my case, the ten it took to buy it.

Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner shine in this comedy set in NewOrleans.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
1 February 2002

"Undercover Blues" is strictly comedy. You know, the kind where either Quaid or Turner encounter a would-be mugger, and with a few twists and kicks the bad guy is out cold. They have a baby now, and are trying to phase out of the undercover cop business. But bumbling crooks, like hilarious Stan Tucci, force them to juggle career and parenthood.

This was filmed in and around one of my favorite cities, NewOrleans (pronounced 'Noorlins' by the natives). Something about the old world look of the French Quarter and much of Uptown makes this locale ideal for cops'n robbers films. We also see the Audubon zoo, where Tucci gets cornered by alligators (Quaid: "Good afternoon girls, Sister. Don't miss the 'gators!"), St Charles Ave street cars, the cemetaries, the yacht club.

The climax is in a salt mine, where Turner throws her fake baby into the air, it explodes, the bad guys get arrested, and the film closes with the 3 of them sailing off for ... Cuba??

I found this to be a very entertaining film. Both Quaid and Turner are in good comedic form. No redeeming value, just fun.

Aw, come on!

Author: psycholemming from Michigan
22 January 2001

5.3? This movie deserves better! What on earth is wrong with a movie that's unbelievably funny and doesn't use fart jokes? I mean, that scene with the crocodiles...I just about died laughing! Grow a sense of humor, people! Just because a movie doesn't have some ingenious plot line doesn't mean it can't be worthwhile. This movie is great.

Still laughing 16 years later

Author: amcalexa from United States
23 November 2009

My husband and I were walking along the sidewalk in the New Orleans French Quarter in the summer of 1992, when he turned and looked at a woman walking alongside us in the street and said, "Oh, my god, that's Kathleen Turner." I was just getting ready to tell him I was sure it wasn't when I looked across the street toward a courtyard, and just about fainted. "Oh my god, It's Dennis Quaid!" We stopped for a minute and watched the two of them walk toward each other, and realized they were taking a break in the middle of filming a movie scene. We were on our way somewhere at the time so we didn't stay to watch, but we decided we'd have to find out what movie they were filming and make it a point to go see it. That's how we ended up seeing Undercover Blues the week it was released in 1993.

The sign that a movie's a good comedy is when you remember the plot's running gag, and it still makes you laugh years later.

I was explaining the Latin root "mort-" to my teenage daughter last night, and that reminded me of Muerte/Morty. I started laughing just thinking about Stanley Tucci's brilliant comedic turn in this role. I called to my husband and asked him if he remembered Muerte/Morty, and he said, "Sure, Stanley Tucci!" And then he started to laugh, too. It's pretty much automatic that any time I hear a word that starts with "mort," I think of Muerrrrrrrrrte!" If you haven't seen this movie, do. It's smart, funny, and at times it'll have you laughing so hard you hurt. And I guarantee you'll never hear a "mort-" word again without fondly remembering Stanley Tucci as Muerte, and his alter ego Morty.

One of my favorite re-watches

Author: rbradbury from Atlanta
1 July 2004

This is one of those flicks that has such fantastic lines and characterizations that you'll want to watch it over and over. The plot's not thick, but it's not the star. The lines are, and boy are they worth it.

Delivered with perfect timing and rhythm, you'll be going back to hear the lines you missed because you were laughing through them. Some of the dialogue is best enjoyed with a knowledge of obscure facts ("Dr. Lotte Lenya...."), it's not required to have a good time. Fiona Shaw's character always makes me howl ("You're having such a wonderful body, Mr. Blue"). And wait until in a moment of passion, KT says "Kill the light".

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]