IMDb > Twenty Bucks (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Twenty Bucks More at IMDbPro »

Changing hands

Author: jotix100 from New York
3 August 2005

Has anyone ever wonder what happens to that twenty dollar bill we received from the bank and we use to pay for an item a few minutes after? Well, that's the basic premise of this little gem of a movie. We saw it in its original release and were happily surprised to have "discovered" it. Unfortunately, this low budget indie by director Keva Rosenfeld and written by Leslie and Endre Bohem, didn't go far, as one would have wanted it to go. We caught it again on cable and in second viewing it still holds its promise.

Keva Rosenfeld has to be either well connected, or highly respected because the cast she put together is amazing. We see faces in the film from distinguished actors like Steve Buscemi, Brendan Fraser, Elizabeth Shue, Linda Hunt, William H. Macy, David Schwimmer, and the others. Of course, most of them had not achieved recognition at the time, but their talent was all there for us to see and enjoy.

The film follows that twenty dollar bill until its surprising end at the bank when Angeline, the homeless woman, receives a brand new twenty in exchange for the original, but dilapidated bill.

This movie will delight anyone who wants to spend a happy time with a surprising and warm film.

Swish!

Author: adam b
13 January 1999

The problem with movies that actually try not to insult your intelligence is that they are totally inaccessible and make you feel like you're sitting at a table in the high school cafeteria with the cool kids . . . they'll let you watch, but you should not be under any illusion that you belong. This is not the case with Twenty Bucks. I caught this one on UPN last Sunday and was amazed. It's a fascinating story of a $20 bill's journey in and out of the lives of people to whom it changes hands. Sometimes it's only there for a moment, sometimes it's there for days, sometimes it doesn't go where you might think it would go, but it's always an interesting story. This is a wonderful anthology film that manages to introduce many characters and get you brought up to speed on their lives in a brief period of time. And check out those credits! You know who these actors are, and it's obvious that no one was letting their ego get in the way of telling the story. It's a wonderful, lovingly crafted movie that is well worth your time to see.

The movie I recommend to friends who've seen "everything"

Author: omen626 from Detroit, Mi
11 November 2004

I caught this on cable a few years back and was immediately intrigued. If you've ever wondered where your money has been, this movie will leave you a little more enlightened...and frightened! From the G-string of a stripper at a Bachelor's party to the hands of a ten year old in a fishing contest to the frantic hands of a homeless woman with Lottery winnings in mind - this bill's journey is surprising and hilarious. The stories around the main idea abound and are far from dull. Christopher Lloyd and Steve Buscemi's scenes are, in my opinion, the highlight of this film. I've never understood why this movie is so wildly underrated. I've never come across any acquaintance that has seen it when I ask. If you get the chance, watch it, you won't be disappointed.

If you love irony, watch it!

Author: I M Buggy from USA
28 June 2000

If you love irony, this is a movie for you! This is an incredible movie with a great storyline. The plot seems obvious if you read the summary but it's far more developed. The characters are each gems, and the actors playing them are of course, all top-notch names. I'd have to put this in the same category as 12:01, Groundhog Day and Short Cuts as far as the time/space ironies as lives and events intermix. If you like any of these, you'll love Twenty Bucks! Worth a hundred!

Every piece of money has its own story.

Author: Bart Brabants from Mechelen, Belgium
19 May 2001

The variety of stories that surround the 20 bucks makes the movie non-Hollywood. I like the independent, non-Hollywood style of this particular movie with a plot that actually tells something and people who proof that you do not need a gigantic budget to create a refreshing film.

One of the most creative scripts ever written!

Author: (chicothekid@hotmail.com) from Utah
2 February 2001

If you ever decide to doubt the power that one incredible idea can do for a movie, you have desperately got to see this! Twenty Bucks is one of the most creative ideas ever made into a movie and will definitely earn a few laughs for the writing alone. While there is no one main character here, the story revolves around a twenty dollar bill. The movie opens as the money enters circulation, and ends when it is mangled and ready to be burned. The life of the money is the story of the movie, and it's just delightful! As it changes hands from one person to the next, it has a profound impact on some people, and no impact on others. At times, it appears that it is a good luck charm, and at others a curse sent from God. Steve Buscemi, Brendan Fraser, Gladys Knight, Elizabeth Shue, Christopher Lloyd, and William H. Macy all get their hands on the money, and there are several others as well.

Apparently, this screenplay was written several years ago by Andre Bohem and nothing was ever done with it. After quite a long period of time, Andre's son Leslie got ahold of the script and modernized it a bit, and the end result is magnificent! While there aren't any acting performances here that are going to melt your hearts, each star is really enjoyable to watch in one way or another. The casting director did a fantastic job of lining up so many recognizable faces, and I found it hilarious that the stripper at the bachelor party (Melora Walters), also played the funeral director near the end of the movie! I knew I had seen her face somewhere before and couldn't see it until I saw the credits. When I realized they were the same person, I busted out laughing, and yet was still able to see the incredible irony of the whole situation.

If you are watching this because you like one of the actors, then you very well could be disappointed by what you see. No one of the actors here has a tremendous amount of screen time, but all are quite good to watch. If you just want to see something different than the normal hollywood crap, then this is absolutely perfect!

Surprisingly, I Have Never Heard Of This Movie Before.

Author: BigHardcoreRed from Calimesa, California
6 August 2005

Twenty Bucks is, quite simply, a movie about a $20 bill. You follow one bill in particular from one owner to the next since it first makes it into the general population from a regular ATM machine. This bill makes it's way through good people and bad, from homeless people to rich tycoons to drug dealers and back again. In this bill's life, it gets lost more than I would believe a normal $20 bill would. They are usually protected pretty well to be blowing around in the street constantly. Also, the bill stayed pretty much in the same area and even back and forth through the same hands a few times. All this may be unusual but when thinking on the subject, each bill's lifetime is as unique as our own and while unusual, not impossible.

Just like with our money, some people hold on to some bills longer than others and these people in the movie are the ones with the longer stories. Easily the most entertaining story was the one with Frank (Steve Buscemi) and Jimmy (Christopher Lloyd). Frank is a scam artist until persuaded by Jimmy he can make quite a bit more his way, robbing convenience stores. I felt like I wanted more from these two, which is probably why it was the best. It did not overdo it and make me sick of the characters.

This is is the type of movie you can recommend to those who have seen it all. It will keep you entertained for 90 minutes if nothing else. 7/10

Good Cast; Fair Story

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
4 September 2006

This is a series of short stories, detailing what happens to people holding a particularly twenty-dollar-bill as it switches from owner to owner. Several of the segments are quite good, my favorites being with the holdup men: Christopher Lloyd and Steve Buscemi. (Now there's two interesting characters actors, for you!)

It's not "familar fare"with strippers, profanity and the usual immoral messages that filmmakers love to give us. I was sorry to see that little old lady Linda Hunt use the Lord's name in vain.

Overall, a decent "rental" but not a purchase. The cast is more interesting and deep than the story.

buck the system

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
13 March 2007

"Twenty Bucks" focuses on a $20 bill getting passed around from person to person, and how we get to see the people's lives: a man whose travels have consisted of a trip to the bowling alley, a drug dealer hosting a summer camp, some crooks plotting a robbery, and some people's attempts at relationships. It's a lighthearted but authentic look at the world of today (well, the world of 1993). And it always shows how people are determined to keep going no matter what happens.

Does the movie have any problems? Maybe some of the characters' lives work out too conveniently. But that really doesn't drag the movie down at all. They did a very good job with this movie, and I recommend it. Starring Linda Hunt, Brendan Fraser, Elisabeth Shue, Christopher Lloyd, Steve Buscemi and William H. Macy (happy birthday, William!).

An underrated cinematic gem

Author: mystic80
21 March 2000

Probably one of the best indies I've seen in a long time. This film monitors the life of a $20 bill from it's birth at an ATM machine to it's sudden death at an airport. It changes lives and it destroys lives with a surprisingly big all star cast from the likes of Brendan Fraser, Steve Buscemi, Elisabeth Shue, Christopher Lloyd, William H. Macy, and David Schwimmer among them. The performances are solid. Particular standout performances include David Schwimmer as a thinly veiled disguise of Ross as a whiny, neurotic who takes hair baldness prevention chemicals and Christopher Lloyd and Steve Buscemi as a mismatched pair of convenience store robbers. Definitely a film that should be seen by all.