IMDb > Trail Mix-Up (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Trail Mix-Up More at IMDbPro »

What a Beauty!

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
6 March 2004

The years were good for Roger Rabbit and the animation crew. It was three years since the previous Roger Rabbit cartoon when "Trail Mix-Up" was released, and the animation was quite contrasting compared to the first two Roger shorts. The visuals are almost up to feature-animation quality and are quite crisp and beautiful. Just imagine what Roger Rabbit cartoons would look like if they were made today!

"Trail Mix-Up" has some very inventive and funny gags; like when Roger runs for safety only to have an unbelievably tall tree crash down on him miles away, and when numerous mini-Rogers appear after Roger goes through some buzz saws. This short even features Jessica Rabbit's sexiest appearance out of all the cartoons (and probably the feature too!). Who knew a cartoon character could accomplish such a thing. Man, I feel like the ultimate nerd by writing that! :P

While watching "Trail Mix-Up" again, I had a hard time remembering why I prefer "Roller Coaster Rabbit" to this. All the gags were top-notch and hilarious, with a sexy Jessica Rabbit thrown in, and then we get to the ending. The water-skiing bear was pretty funny, but it all turned too manic and just not all that funny when they returned to the "real world." I don't know what exactly it was, but maybe I just didn't like seeing a national monument be destroyed or to even see Baby Herman harmed. The ending just didn't sit well with me.

Aside from that, this is still a pretty good cartoon. There are plenty of laughs, and it's just a beauty to see.

My IMDb Rating: 8/10

While not among the best Roger Rabbit shorts, it is still a wonderful film

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
29 October 2007

After the wonderful film WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT, Disney Pictures experimented by making several short cartoons starring Roger Rabbit and they were shown before feature films--much like the original purpose of classic Warner Brothers, MGM and Disney toons. Unfortunately, Disney also chose to pair these amazing shorts with some of the worst films of the era--virtually guaranteeing they would never see the light of day! Today, the only way you can see them is on an out of print videotape entitled "THE BEST OF ROGER RABBIT". It is NOT available on DVD nor does it appear it will be.

In this short, Roger in the great outdoors and as usual, he's watching the troublesome Baby Herman. And, as usual, Baby Herman manages to get into a ton of trouble--leading to an amazing finale! You just have to see it to believe it.

Now as to the quality of this cartoon, it is amazingly violent and insane--even more so than the typical Tex Avery cartoon of the 1950s. Because the characters are so funny, the animation quality so superb and the action so intense, this is one of the greatest cartoon shorts you can find---period. Too bad the powers that be at Disney were idiots who didn't realize they had gold on their hands!

UPDATE 2/09--According to IMDb "This animated short can be found on the Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) Vista Series DVD, released in 2003".

The Wildest Wilderness Trek in History!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
7 November 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Mother Herman, Baby Herman and Roger Rabbit are all going for a picnic in the woods. Mother puts Roger in charge of Baby Herman while she goes hunting. Roger declines but Mother stated it was either that or rabbit season opened today. Roger regretfully agreed. While he tried to make a fire, Ranger Jessica stopped by to remind them that only "you" can prevent forest fires. Baby Herman chases a beaver while Roger avoids bugs and bees. Baby Herman follows the beaver and is suddenly taken into a sawmill! Roger races after him and really proves himself to be a cut-up! Luckily, he pulled himself together just in time for the craziest log ride in history! They pick up a fishing bear along the way. The four land on Old Faithful which erupts and sends Roger, Beaver, Baby and Bear crashing into Mt. Rushmore, destroying it. Baby Herman was furious but Roger told him to relax because it wasn't the end of the world--until he planted a flag in the ground which put a hole in the planet earth, causing it to deflate like a balloon.

A good Roger Rabbit cartoon, but not as good as Tummy Trouble or Roller Coaster Rabbit. This was also the last Roger Rabbit cartoon. No new ones have been produced in the last 9 years. Too bad. They were good. Maybe the Roger-Dodger will return someday. Until then, we can experience his best times and mostly worst times babysitting the tiny terror, Baby Herman!

Funny

Author: Chester-24 from Ridgefield Wa
4 August 2000

This short was very funny. I like the Droopy scenes. Every Roger Rabbit short has a cameo by Jessica, and this one does too. It is a very funny one. I wish they would make more of these Roger Rabbit shorts, but I can only find three. Oh well do yourself a favor don't miss this one.

Roger's OK but he's no Bugs Bunny...

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
23 January 2011

Baby Herman causes trouble for Roger Rabbit again when he wanders off into the woods whilst on a picnic. All manner of craziness ensues.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Roger Rabbit shorts, finding Roger's voice a little on the irritating side and the relentlessly madcap nature and breakneck speed of the action, something akin to Tex Avery on speed, just a touch too excessive for my taste (I had the same problem with Spielberg's equally insane Animaniacs).

Even though Trail Mix-Up doesn't rate as highly with me as it does with other reviewers here on IMDb, I still recommend it if only for the fact that pneumatic Jessica Rabbit appears wearing a sexy park ranger's uniform (cue wolf-whistles, leg thumping on table, jaw hitting the floor, eyes popping out, and steam erupting from ears!).

(Please excuse the fact that all the reviews I have written for the Roger Rabbit shorts are almost identical—since all three cartoons follow exactly the same formula, I thought I would save myself some time!)

This is a strange jump from what started out as a dark novel.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
20 June 2011

Robert Zemeckis's "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was the first movie that I saw in the theaters (and I was only four years old, so I didn't even understand the plot). I later saw the short "Tummy Trouble", and then "Trail Mix-Up". Watching all these, one would get the idea that Roger was always intended as a whimsical, accident-prone character inhabiting a completely batty world.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I recently bought a copy of Gary Wolf's "Who Censored Roger Rabbit", the book on which Zemeckis's 1988 movie is based. The book is in fact quite dark. I suspect that while preparing the movie, they realized that it would be hard for people to take the idea of cartoon characters (called toons in the book and movie) coexisting with humans seriously, so they made it more slapstick.

So yes, Roger's mishaps while babysitting Baby Herman in the forest are a far cry from the original dark story. Silly, but nothing else. Zemeckis's movie was really good, but how many spin-offs did they want? I'd kinda like to see a movie version of "Who Censored Roger Rabbit" that follows the novel's original tone. I assume that it's possible.

Disney being bad...heh heh

Author: ortegacy1 from Boston
18 November 2004

I remember 'Entertainment Weekly' panning this cartoon when it came out for its crudeness and sexiness. I'll agree that the 'dropped a log' line is a bit much but on the whole the cartoon seems to be a foil for Disney animator's frustrations with the 'Disney' way of storytelling. To that end, this is the most violent and faced-paced of the Roger Rabbit shorts with Roger getting threatened by a shot gun, bashed countless times, with a face-ful of bee sting welts, and sliced up by the saw-mill.

The drawings are certainly not top-notch with Roger and Baby looking like distant cousins of their characters in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'. The backgrounds are bright and lively but this certainly is the most forgettable Maroon Cartoon short and possibly why others were not produced. Less an homage to Tex Avery and other 1940's-50's cartoon shorts, it just goes a little too far cramming one rabbit-pummeling gag after another.

Bummer.

Author: rizzostudios from United States
23 April 2006

I liked the tree falling on Roger miles away. I liked Roger getting squashed with the falling logs. I liked Roger getting sawed into a million little Rogers, and I liked Roger flying into a national monument especially when it screams back at him, but even with all of that, TRAIL MIX-UP had to be my least favorite. I dunno, it just felt to all over the place, like it didn't know where it was going.

I also didn't like the hidden poster with the play boyish woman straddling the saw, that just made the cartoon a little less enjoyable for me.

It is though one of the only THREE Roger Rabbit shorts, so if you like him, you should watch it.

Adios, Amigos