IMDb > Super Mario Bros. (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 28: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Cool Story

Author: funky_cherry86 from Canada
21 January 2006

Super Mario Bros is one of my favorite films when it came to theaters in 1993 my mother took me and my brother to see it. Some would say it was a cheesy adaptation in comparison to the popular video game. I honestly loved the story.

Mario (Hoskins) & Luigi (Leguizamo) are brothers and down on their luck plumbers who live in Brooklyn. One day, Luigi crosses paths with Daisy (Mathis)a beautiful college student from then on it's love at first sight. When Daisy is kidnapped by two goons, Mario & Luigi rush off to save her only to end up in a parallel universe run by King Koopa (Hopper). He is after a meteorite piece that she wears around her neck, it turns out that Daisy is a princess who has the power to merge the two dimensions. Now it's a race against time as they fight off goombas and other creatures to rescue her from Koopa's clutches. Bob Hoskins & John Leguizamo did a fantastic job portraying the two heroes while Samantha Mathis added a nice touch as the princess 8/10

Cool movie

Author: Nicholas Williams from United States
19 January 2006

Super Mario Bros. is an pretty cool movie. I guess gamers seem to hate it because it seemingly doesn't follow the original games's storyline. But really, what is the object of the game? The Marios traveling to Koopa's tower and saving the princess! And thats what they're trying to do in the movie. The creators just added their own twists, and I like that. The movie kept the some of the classic characters from the game as well (B-bombs, Goomba's, Yoshi, Daisy, and Koopa himself). I'm glad that Koopa doesn't look like a big turtle that breathes fire. That would have been terrible. I like the cast, too. I don't remember the actors names, but they did a good job on it. Be warned, though: this movie is meant for young people so some the jokes are corny, but many adults may like it, too. Nuff said.

It's not the game, but I'm sure that was the point...

Author: strife82 from United States
27 October 2005

OK...I'll get it out of the way. Yes, I know this isn't based EXACTLY off the game, yes I know the writing isn't the greatest, yes I know this movie bombed...but in all honesty I don't really care. For what it is, I thought this was a nice, zany, and slightly action-packed movie that I found pretty entertaining. It wasn't based exactly off the movie, and I think that's what gives it a good sense of originality. It's for that reason, at least, partly, why I'm sure it didn't sell well. Too many people expected the same color, same saccharine kiddie-fare, pretty much a full-on big screen rendition of the game. What they got was a movie, gritty, dark, and original instead. And that's a main reason I like it as it is.

It had the basics down; two plumbers from Brooklyn, Mario and Luigi, going into an alternate universe to save a princess in peril and stop a megalomaniac from wreaking havoc. In the games, as good as they are, it was basically the same situation, not too much difference in terms of delivery. The games had Koopa vying for power and dominance. In the movie, he already has it, and his power usurped everything to the point where his hunger grew well past the point of what he perceived as reality (he wanted to conquer Earth as well). Boasting a slightly all-star cast (how they got Bob Hoskins to do Mario is past me), and, as stated earlier, a grittier and darker look, it seemed as if the movie itself could appeal to both kids and adults alike.

I did enjoy how some of the aspects for Mario and Luigi's powers were explained in a bit more realistic terms (I doubt a fat plumber could naturally jump fifteen feet in the air...). The jump boots, the fire-ball launchers, even the wicked bob-bomb, were written in as more artificial, albeit a bit more believable, powers to be at their disposal. The only real drawbacks I saw was that the writing could've been a bit tweaked, as well as some of the direction (it had two directors Mr. Hoskins absolutely hated, so I'm guessing something was amiss). But as it is, I found this movie enjoyable and fun, and I'd definitely watch it again. Obsessive gamers need not apply (you'd hate this movie, I'm sure of it).

I love this Movie

Author: tworoosters from Canada
21 October 2005

Despite the slaggings I still love this movie for one reason ......... it is fun to watch.

Forget the plot, effects etc. Hoskins, Leguizamo and Hopper are tremendous to watch in a movie where they all obviously said "screw my career I'm doing this".

Most complaints surround the inaccuracy of the storyline and characters with the video game version. Since the Mario Bros. video game plots were very simple a film maker would have to flesh them out in order to have a feature film produced.

The "de evolved" dinosaur world is very atmospheric and the overall visual tone of the film is great.

Certainly not a "classic" or award worthy but rent it, watch it and tell me you don't enjoy it.

You all are crazier than Tom Cruise. This mess is fun.

Author: ag463 from United States
26 September 2005

I'm reading through these reviews and wondering: is everyone losing it, or is it me? This movie is fun, weird, and nicely dark. It's no Citizen Kane but it's better than most "family" dreck any day. I don't mind telling you all that I am 21 and I just went and bought it so I could sit around with my friends, get hopped up on goofballs, and trust the fungus once again.

Here's my take. It's a preteen's movie, not a kid's movie, so there's a degree of poetic removal to things -- i.e., you have to have the grey matter required to go from "Toad in game is a mushroom" to "Toad in movie is a hippie" to "aha! Hippies eat mushrooms, I get it." Or another: "Bowser in game is a king in a castle" --> "Koopa in movie is a CEO-type in a skyscraper." I personally do not think this is a bad thing, but these comment boards are full of wackies who are obsessively comparing the movie to the game. People: if someone was going to make a movie about the Mario games that stuck to fact, it'd be nonsensical, there'd be no story, and you might as well slump on the couch and watch a friend play the game for a couple hours. Instead, they interpreted, and the result is sometimes stupid and often kooky and rarely boring.

Well, what are you gonna do?

Author: The-Amityville-Horror from United States
23 July 2005

This may contain some spoilers, so I'll mark them, okay? Here we go...

Super Mario Bros, wow. Where to start, I became a huge fan of the game when I was about 8 or 9 years old and I had no idea that there was a movie. Well when my Dad said that he was watching the Mario Bros movie I nearly had a heart attack, "The Mario Bros have a MOVIE?!" I thought, and I quickly set off into an adventure that I'm still lost in today.

Onto the review...

Super Mario Bros is an adaptation in name only. It has the names of the characters, the names of the places (sort of) and the names of the villains, however they are used as the names of shops instead of actually being bad guys. The movie starts out with a baby being hatched from an egg in a nunnery in "Brooklyn 20 Years Ago" fast forward to "Present Day Brooklyn" and we meet Mario and Luigi, a pair of plumbers down on they're luck and out of traditional red and green uniform, one of them, missing a mustache. They meet up with Daisy and find the portal to the otherworld which is pretty much just like this world only with more product placement and cooler cars.

I wont reveal the ending, however I will say it left room for the sequel I'm still waiting for... The acting was good and the sets were fantastic, the world was truly believable as another dimension that was run by a power hungry dictator who wanted to rule our dimension, but dude, it's Mario. Mario eats mushrooms and saves princesses and talks to goombas and jumps on koopas in the magical world of the mushroom kingdom! He's not supposed to be living in Luigi's shadow the whole movie while they look for "a rock." The camera work, awesome, the lighting, awesome, the special FX, as it says on the VHS box, eye popping, but again, it's Mario, Mario is a simple man who eats pasta and says "Mama Mia!" Not a Road Warrior.

Awesome in my opinion

Author: nick martin from United States
22 July 2005

Mario Brothers is like no other movie. Every part is filled with excitement and lots of fun adventure. It puts you into another world as the movie shifts into another dimension.

The sets in the movie are unbelievable. The sets of Koopa's city are amazing with the detailed city streets that make it seem like an actual place.

The ending makes it seem as if there is going to be a sequel but they never made a second one. Your probably either going to love this movie or think its pretty bad,depends on the person. I notice many goofs and still love it. I think it is a must own DVD.

I'm a big Super Mario Bros. fan...

Author: ModestPoser from United States
18 July 2005

and I hated this movie. In my opinion, they've destroyed the characters. I believe that Luigi is younger than Mario in the movie, which is completely wrong. They thought Princess Toadstool (Now known as Peach) was Daisy. Again, this is wrong. When you watch this movie, you feel like it was written by someone who was sort of a fan of Super Mario, but never really got into the games. They've taken a creative, wonderful world and turned it into something which they thought would represent it. The Mushroom Kingdom could have been represented by itself. They also try to clear up some things which they thought didn't make sense in the movie. For example, they gave Mario and Luigi boots so they could jump really high. They were always able to do jump really high. They made Bowser seem like a corrupt mayor of some sort, and basically he doesn't even look like him. Even at the end, when he turns into a dinosaur, he does not look like Bowser. The Mario Bros. lived in Brooklyn in this movie, I think this is the first time that Mario was considered to be from Brooklyn. We don't know where Mario is from, so I guess this was a good choice that the film makers had to make.

Don't see this movie if you're expecting something very accurate to the Super Mario Bros. series. See it, if you'd like a somewhat clever twist on the idea of Super Mario Bros.

I liked this movie!

Author: MrVolcano90210 from United States
16 May 2005

While this movie contained a lot of elements not present in the Super Mario Bros. video games, and the games contained a lot of fun elements not present in the movie that would make it more entertaining, if you think outside of the box then you can get as much enjoyment out of this movie as I have. It takes a popular game and mixes it with someone of a fantasy-reality situation and makes your classic adventure come to life! Think about it! If you were to take those actors with that technology and make every single aspect of the video game become reality in the movie, would anyone watch it? No. If you tweaked it even the slightest bit, you'd ruin the entire storyline. These people did something unique. They made a game become in the real sense, with real people, doing more real things than in the video game. The fantasy part was just to entertain those who cannot do without. Before you go judging this movie, you should watch it without comparing it to the game, because then you just ruin it for everyone.

Not a classic but a cult hit

Author: KHayes666 from United States
2 May 2005

Having grown up play Super Mario Brothers 1,2,3 and World I figured the movie would be a let down. The casting was interesting as in how the heck did they convince Dennis Hopper to play the lead bad guy role and how does John Leguiazamo get passed off as Bob Hoskin's brother.

As it was, Bob and John had great chemistry and had witty one liners from beginning to end that made me and my buddies laugh. Mojo Nixon as Toad was also fun to watch seeing is I knew about his music and still laugh to this day to his "Redneck Rampage" album.

Dennis Hopper as King Koopa was hilarious as that wouldn't be the first guy I'd pick to play the role but he did it really well and looked like he had a blast doing it.

The highlight of the film was the one liners but up and down it wasn't so bad. I wasn't expecting it to be exactly like the video games and how could anyone? Fun movie 7 out of 10