IMDb > Super Mario Bros. (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great movie... people should stop being so serious and enjoy it

Author: fourmont4 from United States
10 December 2005

First off.... I absolutely love this movie. It's such a treat to a fan with a good imagination.

Secondly, why would anyone in their right mind take this kind of movie seriously, to the point of bashing it for things like "being to fake" and "not sticking to the Mario bro's storyline." People, in the games all Mario did was jump around, bop things on the head, throw fireballs around, and fly. If they would have made movies about that people would be asleep before the first 5 minutes. This movie was meant to entertain and captivate, and it certainly does the trick.

They took the classic game and adapted it to a fantasy reality that parallels our own and for that, it was simply brilliant. The rendition of koopa-manhattan was great and is not something that people should criticize. The city adds life the the movie, it makes it real in it's own fantastic way. It makes the city so crazy it works. And boy oh boy did those goomba's make me laugh.

I love this movie for everything it relates to the game and everything it added to make it a more fun-filled ride. If you love the games and have an open minded imagination, this is a must watch movie

Why is everyone taking this so seriously?

Author: chthon2 from Orlando, Florida, USA
29 July 2003

This is a cheesy movie for people who play video games. I don't understand why some people adamantly insist this movie should never have been made. It's cute and entertaining. It doesn't stay completely loyal to the game storyline, but Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo are perfect for these two roles. Worth watching if you see it on TV.

Too harsh, by far

Author: DarthBill from United States
7 April 2004

Yes, this no classic, but it's not that bad. And yes it bears no resemblance to the video games that inspired it except for the jumpsuits that look like the heroes overalls, but it's not bad.

Mario & Luigi (Bob Hoskins & John Leguizamo) are the two down on their luck brother plumbers who get involved with a college student named Daisy (Samantha Mathis) who turns out to be a princess from an alternate dimension. Once transported there themselves, they must fight the evil King Koopa (Dennis Hopper) and save their world from being merged with Koopa's and the human race from being turned into monkeys.

It may be hard to believe that John Leguizamo is Bob Hoskins brother, but the two have good chemistry and John has a convincing Brooklyn accent (although Tom Selleck would have been a more convincing Luigi in some respects). Bob reprises his gruff detective persona from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" to great effect. Samantha Mathis is cute as the princess and manages to feel less shallow than most heroines in these situations. Dennis Hopper hams it up as the film's villain. Lots of gags and good natured humor, and a beautiful song from Roxette, "Almost Unreal". Worth a rental.

one of my favorite movies of all time

Author: shinobirecca from United States
18 June 2005

Let me start off by saying that this is a great movie. Many people were expecting this movie to be piece for piece off of the video game which is pretty stupid considering that the Mario bros. games don't really have too much of a storyline besides just saving the princess from Koopa. The fact that they kept the basic ideas of the Mario games and added on their own take of it was great in my opinion. The actors were good and were perfect for their parts (especially Bob Hoskins). If people want to see a "perfect" Mario bros. movie where all there is too watch is a person jumping on monsters and going down pipes just because its true to the video game than please by all means go make one and see how many people don't fall asleep while watching it. I believe people should see it with an open mind instead of watching it hoping to see an exact replication of the game.

be careful how you watch

Author: anaang from deeffield beach
29 January 2003

I made the mistake of watching this movie the day i had knee surgery. So i was doped up on all kinds of pain killers and thought the movie was great. However a few years later i remembered how much i enjoyed the movie so i watched on tv when it was run agian. I was blown away with how horribly bad it was. I was also amazed on how much i remembered being in the movie that wasnt. so as the title says be careful how you watch. As a side note this is not an endorsement to do drugs just to make bad movies better.

Underrated

Author: jimjam_85 from Portsmouth, England
14 November 2004

It is clear that this film has been unfairly dismissed. OK, so it doesn't fit the criteria of a 'good film', but, it's a great kids film. It's dark and strange, things generally uncommon of kids films, and, if it wasn't for watching this film as a child, I wouldn't be into people like cronenberg, lynch and, in particular, Gilliam, whose sinister darkness I enjoy so greatly.

It is self-evident that there is a lack of imagination, especially recently, in the kids film genre, and this is where Super Mario Brothers earns the 7 out of 10 that I have given it. My film collection would be much less exciting without having watched this film as a child. This is why I urge those of you who have given it a poor rating to re-evaluate, considering what I have said.

Daft fun.

Author: Christopher Gray from Belfast, N.Ireland
30 March 2002

The plot:Two plumbers who are known as the Marios, meet a strange young girl that has a rock on her neck. Two idiots from another world kidnap the strange girl known as Daisy, after kidnaping other girls from Brooklyn. The two Marios decide to rescue her from the Two Idiots that have taken her to another world ruled by an evil king known as Koopa.

The View:Performances aren't the major thing here, but the special effects and creations are to be noticed more. The movie itself isn't bad and as a comedy, will have a few(just a few)giggles. It's all really just a fun fantasy movie that just doesn't shine through and doesn't make any effort to make an historical movie, but the film is fun and you will enjoy it as a complete no-brainer. ***

It's a Mario Movie. Where's the Mario?

Author: LuigiIII from United States
12 July 2007

Super Mario Bros. is a movie based off of the Super Mario Bros. video games. Or at least, that's what they SAY it is. In reality, Super Mario Bros. is a movie that pretends to be Mario. He's what I'm talking about: In the games, the main villain is Bowser, King of the Koopas who wishes to kidnap the Princess and rule the mushroom kingdom. In the movie, the main villain is Koopa, tyrant of a small city in the center of a world-wide desert who wishes to take over the world of man. In the games, a big bertha is a fish. In the movie, Big Bertha is the bouncer at the Boom Boom bar. In the games, Boom Boom is a person. The movie is just a crappy movie that takes Nintendo's names in an attempt to look better. And it fails at that. DO NOT see this movie.

It's better then people give it credit.

Author: IbanezJFS-157-364180 from United States
26 July 2012

If you watch this movie as if it had no connections to the video game...It's not that bad. I loved the sets. The actors were great. And It's basically the same rescue the princess story but in a different setting. Like a more Modern Day Mario. Like I said it's the same Mario Brothers but in a different world. To me Bob embodies Mario perfectly. And So Does John as Luigi. All he needed was the mustache and maybe someone else's voice. It has some really cool action sequences. And I love the flame thrower thing. They could have done a better job on the goombas and koopa though. Look at it as a Mario reference movie. And not the Live Action Mario Movie. And most of all. Keep an open mind and enjoy for what is. And not what everyone thought it was suppose to be. Watch this and then watch the film again http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=od-FughI-C8

Wow

Author: Robert from United States
6 July 2010

If you are reading this review, please understand that I am 17 and love Super Mario Bros. I have several of the games, I am a total fan, and I love movie.

Now, when I first heard about this movie, I thought it was going to be about as epic as I would ever see.

I was wrong.

It was like taking Mickey Mouse and Scooby Doo and having real people 'act' like them. And then added a retarded script. And then using terrible CG. And then having bad acting.

This movie sucked. I didn't want to say it, but it did. You don't take a video game and make the movie worse. You either make the movie WANT to make you play mario, or you don't make the movie at all. Really.

I rate 1/10 because they at least tried.

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]