IMDb > Striking Distance (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Give It A Chance

Author: refinedsugar from Nova Scotia, Canada
21 June 2001

I'd be lying if I didn't admit this is yet another patterned Bruce Willis flick. The kind where he plays the hard boiled cop with a colorful past, but I gave it a chance. This one finds Willis as Tom Hardy. A cop from a family of cops and things aren't going too well. First off, he's just ratted out his violent partner (Robert Pastorelli) at an official police inquiry and that doesn't win him any fans in the department. Then his depressed former partner jumps off a bridge killing himself. What a load to carry. All of the while there's this killer on the loose and when his father is murdered by him, he lets it be known he thinks the killer is a cop and suddenly he's reassigned to River Patrol.

This movie succeeds on a basic level -- it's entertaining. Sure the story is loose and the film's surprises are somewhat stale, but it's all in good fun. Willis gets to look aptly serious and hunt for the killer on the waters and there's just enough suspense to sustain interest and the minor twists of the story keep things at a good pace. Meanwhile the rounded supporting cast keeps things lively and keeps the viewer going, "Where have I seen him before?" or "Hey that's such and such".

I've read on here how people think this is stupid, dumb and lacks any suspense or thrills. Like any of the Die Hard movies had exceptionally smart stories, you didn't know what was gonna happen next or how it would all end. Of course not. For a entry level Bruce Willis flick, this one satisfies. Now if only I could get the Little Red Riding Hood Song out of my mind...!

A good Bruce Willis movie

Author: BroadswordCallinDannyBoy from Boston, MA
1 June 2004

I don't understand why this film is so over-looked. It has pretty everything fans of Bruce Willis would want. He is a cop, not liked by his fellow officers, and he is on a murder case where no one believes what he has to say. There is action, swearing, one liners, and even some sex. Bruce doesn't usually have that in his films, maybe that is what threw people off. Just Kidding.

By all means, this is no masterpiece, but it is an entertaining mystery with an AWESOME car chase. One of the best. Bruce Willis fans should definitely check this movie out. It is pure Bruce and without him the "lone cop" story wouldn't work as well nor be as credible as it is because of him. 8/10

Rated R: violence and profanity

Not Your Ordinary Action Film, Very Underrated

Author: Scot6 from Washington, DC
20 February 2000

More than any film I can remember in a long time, I have never understood why this film hasn't gotten higher ratings than it has. The plot, while not ingenious (and even somewhat predictable) is still exciting and will keep you engrossed.

The film's creators get a lot of points in my book for locale creativity. Instead of setting the film in some predictable location such as New York, Los Angeles, Miami or San Francisco they set it in Pittsburgh, PA, definitely not your ordinary movie location. It's one that adds a wonderful freshness to the movie however.

The location shooting is outstanding. The scenery is different and excellent, the photography is great, even spectacular in places and the action is on a par with some of the best action films ever, including Bullitt. Who would normally think to expect extensive boating and water action in a state as synonymous with mountains as Pennsylvania is? That alone is worth taking a look at this movie.

I do not usually care much for Bruce Willis. I thought he was very well cast in this movie however and Sara Jessica Parker added extra special chemistry. The cast is much better than average overall and includes such outstanding actors as Andre Braugher, of the outstanding tv series "Homicide". I thought that the casting in general, as well as the photography, location and action very adequately made up for any possible deficiencies in the plot itself.

I would warn that there is extensive foul language in this film, more than is necessary even for a film of this genre in my opinion and probably it's biggest drawback. I would still say that the film is well worth watching when your in the mood for some escapist fun and action fare. As I said earlier, I think the film deserves higher ratings than it's gotten so far. I've watched it twice now (it was just as good the second time, in fact even better) and that definitely won't be the last time I watch it.

Nice and suspenseful

Author: millennia-2 from In shame (2005 update)
16 August 1999

I caught this one on TV at about midnight, and I wasn't planning to see more than five minutes of it. I did (why would I write this comment if I didn't) and it kept my interest through the whole film. Bruce Willis and Sarah Jessica Parker were excellent together and the supporting cast was also outstanding.

Director Rowdy Herrington also brought us the awful A Murder of Crows (1999), but he didn't ruin this one, even if it did get a little far-fetched in places. An interesting plot line, and Willis is believable in his role.

+ (GOOD THINGS) 1.) Direction 2.) Chemistry between Willis and Parker 3.) Ending (unlike everyone else, I didn't see it coming) 4.) Length 5.) The score 6.) John Mahoney's performance

- (BAD THINGS) 1.) Believability 2.) The script (uneven in places)

TOTAL: 7/10

Starts off okay then heads straight downhill

Author: Dr.X from USA
30 July 2000

I took a chance on this one on a slow night and wish I hadn't bothered. It started off with some promise and atmosphere, and includes a pretty good car chase early on. However, it then starts throwing bad cliches that you've already seen 100 times in all over the place. The troubled cop is haunted by a past incident and is now a detached loner who drinks far too much. Gee, how many times have we seen that before? Making matters worse, the final 30 minutes become so implausible, ridiculous, and insulting to the audience's intelligence, I found myself yelling insults at the director and producer for their complete and utter lack of imagination.

In short, do yourself a favor and pass on this one. There's bound to be something better to do or watch even on the slowest of nights. If you are tempted to take a peek due to the presence of Bruce Willis or because you like serial killer films in general, do so at your own risk, but don't say you weren't warned!

Yes, This Has Been Done, But It Is NOT As Bad As Critics Say!

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
31 May 2007

A cop receives phone calls wherein he hears the murders of young women perpetrated by a wily serial killer. Okay, the premise is not new. It is a bit reminiscent of the Zodiac killer, but only a bit. The truth is, only a big star like Willis could pull this one out of the $1 bin and set it upon the eye-level shelves. Fortunately, Willis and Sarah Jessica Parker manage to do just that.

This film is highly underrated and under-appreciated, and wrongly so. The performances by even the supporting cast (actors who are known for lesser films and lesser performances) are wonderful. No, I'm not trying to say this film is Oscar-worthy, but it IS highly entertaining. It properly generates atmosphere, and delivers upon generation.

All in all? I found this work entertaining and enjoyable.

It rates an 8.3/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Great mystery

Author: ChocboMg from USA
22 April 1999

Now, I know that the majority say this film is bad, while I loved it. It DID get far fetched, it DID get ridiculous in the end, but I still liked it. This movie is more realistic than the other thrillers, take I Know What You Did Last Summer. One thing is for certain, and that is that this movie does show cruelty towards women, so I don't think many women would like this movie, my mom sure didn't! Anyway, Bruce Willis is a river cop, now that's a job I want, to drive a boat around a river all day, easy job, right? Well, not when your area has a ton of killings going on and the bodies dumped in the river for the poor river patrol, who are used to just cruising around have to pick up the bodies. This movie is great keeping the villain secret until the end, they certainly fooled me! This movie got an 8/10 on my scale, probably a 2/10 on my moms. I give it that for great suspense, mystery, and thrills. I lowered it due to how it was a bit against women. This movie is definitely rated R, and shouldn't be viewed by children or young teens for strong violence and language, and also some sex. It is pretty good, while maybe offensive to women, maybe not.

Two key cast members make this movie

Author: musacha from United States
17 November 2007

Great support cast. Dialogue between Farina & Willis is as real as it gets. Irish vs Italian is always interesting. Needed more of those scenes. Some cliché movie lines but storyline hides the cheese. Location, Location, Location. All things being equal, I'd rather be in Philadelphia (right: Willis from Die Hard). I prefer Philly movies, but Pittsburgh is a great setting. Not NY. Not LA. I'll take it and it works. Every other profession has been glammed up by Hollywood so river police was a refreshing change.

Getting back to the cast, most of them are interchangeable with other actors. But there is no substitute for Dennis Farina as tough cop. He ad libs in his own way as well as Hackman & Matthau. If he's a non-smoker in real life, he should have won an Oscar for this role. This is one of those movies where the pre-quels would be just as action packed. Yeah I know the Episode IV thing has been done before in a galaxy far far away. But these characters would be interesting in their younger years.

cool movie Bruce!

Author: windypoplar from United States
28 August 2007

Actually watched this on a bus ride home. Found myself entertained for once! Bruce Willis plays good cop Tom Hardy, who's convinced the police killed his dad and framed some poor sap. He opens his big mouth too often and they demote him to river duty! Tom is still on the job and now he's partnered with sexy diver Jo (Sarah Jessica Parker). They keep finding dead women and Tom realizes the killer is toying with him!

Tom and Jo hook up, and I actually found their romance quite charming, has SJP ever been bad in anything? She's a really good actress and looks great in this, and try to actually solve the murders, which angers his uncle, played by the underrated Dennis Farina. Even the chief, a ogre of a cop played by the terrific late character actor Brion James, just wants Tom to stay quiet. His cousin Jimmy, I couldn't believe that was Robert Pastorelli, the guy from "Murphy Brown" he was totally dissolved into the part, just seems like a wise-ass, but watch him.

The film is well paced and nicely shot, I liked that the Ohio river seemed smelly like in real life. Willis actually bothers to act here, though I understand he didn't like the film, and you won't see the killer coming.

Striking Distance is a good action flick, with an excellent cast. Its rated "R" for profanity and violence.

Predictable suspense-thriller has its moments but overall it's entertaining.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
8 December 2007

Detective Tom Hardy (Bruce Willis) grows up in the family of cops. Hardy turns against his uncle Captain Nick Detillo (Dennis Farina), since he believes that he's protecting somewhere who's corrupted and fighting him since the death of his dedicated Lt. Vince Hardy (John Mahoney). When Hardy's cousin Jimmy (The late Robert Pastorelli) committed suicide from jumping off a bridge. Since Hardy knew there was something wrong with his cousin. Since Hardy's get fired from his job believing that a cop has murder womens in the streets of Pittsburgh but he can't prove it. Months has passed, now Hardy works for the boat patrol for the city. He's forced to work with a young by the book officer Jo (Sarah Jessica Parker) as his new partner. Which Hardy prefers to be alone. When Hardy is called on the crime scene to the river to discover that the latest murders are woman, which Hardy knew before. Now the killer calls Hardy from his phone and he wants to play of Cat & Mouse with him. He has to find the next victim before it's too late, while the local police especially his uncle thinks that Hardy isn't right in the head.

Directed by Rowdy Herrington (Road House) made an watchable-thriller that tries to be suspenseful but overall the script is quite predictable sadly. The identity of the villain is too easy to guess for most viewers. Since Willis' was quiet disappointed with his experiencing working this forgotten thriller. But it is not boring, thanks to a strong cast that includes Tom Sizemore, The late Brion James, Andre Braugher and more that keeps this far from being boring. Willis tries to do something different with his role. But his scenes with the character Jo slows the movie down, especially when they start a romance. It is quite unintentionally funny at times and way over the top towards the conclusion. Herrington's previous picture "Road House" was much more fun to watch than this failed effort. "Striking Distance" is one of those films that certainly plays better on TV and fans of Willis' work might enjoy this movie much more than others. Check your brain out the door before watching it. (***/*****).

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]