IMDb > Sommersby (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Gere!

Author: kenandraf from Honolulu, Hawaii
15 October 2001

Fair civil war romance/drama that suffers from asking the audience to believe too much unlikely scenarios.Also,there are some poorly choreographed confrontation/fight scenes which could have easily been done better given the pains taken to have a good attention to detail here with regards to the set.The acting was inconsistent as was the directing and editing.I also noted a negative tension between Gere and Foster during their kissing scenes which I believe was not supposed to be there for their characters.It seems to have more to do with the actors behind the scenes chemistry.The courtroom scenes were also poorly done as they seemed to be rushed.The final scenes of the movie though was very good and touching for an audience who have a mature taste on the meaning of life and love.Although these final scenes were not enough to save the movie from mediocrity.Ony for love story fans,soap drama fans and big fans of the lead actors.......

Excellent

Author: Lovelia Wolff (lovelia@www.com) from Germany
13 February 2000

Personally I found the movie excellent. Although many would not agree, I still DO stand my ground on this. The acting of Jodie and Gere were superb. The picture was well done and the costumes/props almost authentic. There was nothing corny about the whole movie.

A film of controversy, but a very good film.

Author: Manuel Salgado (msalgado@attcanada.net) from Montreal, Canada
2 June 1999

Many people having a french cultural background think that this film is a bad remake of a classical french film: "Le retour de Martin Guerre" interpreted by Gerard Dépardieu. Nonetheless, this version stands by itself not only because of the remarkable performances of Richard Gere and Jodie Foster, but because of the renewal of the framework which implies a new plot that is developped in newer times and circumstances, this film can compete with the so called "original" as a winner. Who says that second versions are always worse that originals? This film proves that a second look on an ancient history can enrich both versions. A pair of films that must be seen to make your own judgement.

Acting

Author: MacaulayConnor from Germany
20 July 2003

oh my, the acting is that bad, Richard Gere is the ANTI-actor and Jodie Foster has everything but one expression. I think she was great in "Taxi Driver", but - she got an Oscar for that - in "Silence" all she had to do was looking scared or puzzeled. But acting is ALL what was required! How come a woman cannot recognise her husband, even after several years? Thats why she WANTS to believe he´s him. But neither the ANTI-actor nor Jodie can deliver. This movie is very bad and compared to the French original: 1/10 Macaulay J. Connor, Munich, 20.7.2003

I love this movie!

Author: movieoh from Ohio
6 February 2001

This is one of my favorite movies! I love the suspense of wondering just who Richard Gere's character is, which is kept up throughout the story. Even though I know who the Sommersby character is, I find myself holding my breath with tension, waiting for the outcome. And no matter how many times I watch it, the end just kills me. It's a movie I watch alone so I can sob all I want to. I find myself wondering what I would do if I were in Mrs. Sommersby's place.

Great acting, great editing, very gripping. The only thing I would omit is the sexual content, which wasn't at all necessary to advance the story. I'd recommend it for any adult, but not children.

Great film.

Author: Jerry Linden from United States
9 January 2007

Great film - really enjoyed the twist - was Gere the killer?

Sommersby might be considered a woman's flick. Well, so be it and more power to it. Go ahead and be ready to laugh, and also to tear up over some of the scenes. This is a well-acted, well directed, and enjoyable film in the solid time- honored tradition of totally watchable Grade B movies.

Some of the characters portrayed are people a viewer can get to know for a few hours and really sympathize with. Other's behavior you can get mad at. You might even want to express a little outrage at some behavior portrayed. Enjoy it. The film has its flaws, but for the most part is one the sensitive and discerning viewer can see more that once and be happier with than much of the real trivial tripe that passes for film these days. And to be perfectly honest, it's better than the book.

same scene two times

Author: elredmond from United States
24 April 2006

a lot of my family and many friends were extras in this movie(it was shot in the court house in my home town). my uncle, father, and a few teachers and acquaintances are clearly shown in the court scene, and the guy who says "hear ye, hear ye" is definitely one of my neighbors. (it's funny, he got credit for that). but at the end of the movie you can see my grandmother, twice. When Jodie foster is running through the crowd screaming "jack, jack", you see my grandmothers face take up nearly all the screen. it flashes to a view of Richard about to be hung, and then shoots back to Jodie running into, and around, my grandmother a second time. isn't' it obvious that they used the same shot twice? you think they'd try not to do that same one in a 5 second slot.

It still brings tears to my eyes!!

Author: queencav from Singapore
18 October 1998

Even after watching this movie thrice, it still brings tears to my eyes. Richard Gere and Jodie Foster are brilliantly cast in this 1993 Hollywood re-make of the French film "The Return of Martin Guerre".

In short: Gere stars as a soldier returning to his wife after being imprisioned during the American Civil War. He has transformed from a gambling drunk to a sensitive and innovative man who brings prosperity back to his village. However, the question is: Can a War change any man so much? Or is this man not Jack Sommersby??

'Sommersby' is well written and full of intrigue. It moves at a leisurely pace entrancing its audience with beautiful images of Virginia. Gere puts in one of most touching roles to date and Foster proves to us she is Oscar winning material. This couple carry the film and there are some memorable scenes as husband and wife become accustomed to each other.

If you're a romance lover or want a bit of mystery, this is a great film to watch. This story will not only leave you spellbound, but thinking.

I highly recommend this film and I hope you enjoy 'Sommersby' as much as I did. (Don't forget to bring your hankies!!)

Patronising

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
17 December 2002

Jack Sommersby returns to the deep south after the civil war . Well I`m afraid Richard Gere doesn`t make a convincing confedarate officer anymore than he made a convincing IRA terrorist in THE JACKAL . Even more unconvincing is the scene where two slaves approach the long lost Jack and warmly hug him . Yup I`m sure if you worked in the cotton fields 24/7 for no money you`d sure be glad to see your slave masters return in one piece after a war that was supposedly fought against slavery . Only thing is Jack Sommersby was fighting for the side that wanted to keep slavery . This reminded of a very funny sketch from THE BENNY HILL SHOW with Benny as a southern belle and Bob Todd blacked up as a slave . Remembering this comedy classic caused me to laugh so much I was unable to concentrate on watching the rest of the movie . Instinct tells me I didn`t miss much

Has To Be One Of The Dumbest Movies Ever Made

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
9 August 2006

If you believe this story, I have some swampland in New Jersey I'd like to sell you. Hey, it's right near Atlantic City!

C'mon, now....really....a man (Richard Gere) comes home from the Civil War and claims to be Jodie Foster's husband. He had been presumed dead.

The whole movie is the story of whether she can figure out it's really him or not - even when they are naked in bed! Yeah, right! What an insult to anyone's intelligence. Don't waste your time with this lemon.

For those who think this is "intelligent," I hope your lobotomy went well! I hope the original (this is a re-make) "The Return Of Martin Guerre," was better than this.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]