IMDb > So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
So I Married an Axe Murderer

So I Married an Axe Murderer More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Harmless, enjoyable, Mike Myers movie.

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
2 April 2005

What if a commitment phobic man met a woman that everybody was crazy about, including him? What if she had killed her three husbands? What if he could be number four? Mike Meyers and Nancy Travis are the happy couple. Both are fine, but Anthony LaPaglia steals the movie. His action seeking cop has many amusing scenes with Meyers and with Alan Arkin as LaPaglia's fuzzy warm boss. The scene at Alcatraz between LaPaglia and Meyers with a cameo by Phil Hartman and the wedding scene are funny. Amanda "Honey Bunny" Plummer is creepy as Travis' sister. Brenda Fricker, Charles Grodin, Debi Mazar, and Steven "K-Billy" Wright are effective in smaller roles. This is a fun movie, although it does not match Wayne's World or the Austin Powers films. Worth a look for Mike Myers and Anthony LaPaglia fans.

*Charlie: "I'm smitten. I am in deep smit."*

**John Johnson: "My name is John Johnson, but everyone here calls me Vicki."**

Well-Acted - Mike Meyers is one of the funniest

Author: Bobby Miranda (jlyn4eternity) from Mosul, Iraq (USA)
22 March 2005

Warm-hearted but indiscernible, Charlie (Myers) who is severely afraid of commitment, (largely due to Mafia women, kleptomaniacs that steal cats, and females with beef-vegetable soup aroma) meets the bellicose butcher, Harriet the haggis harbinger (Travis) in a butcher shop. Not planning on more than just an order of Haggis, which his mother(Fricker) hates, Charlie later has an eventful day cutting up cows and linking sausages with his soon to be Axe-murdering wife (so it seems, according to the Weekly World News – which by Mother's standards is known as "The Paper". Unbeknownst to him, "The Paper" was right. Of course suspicion was aroused when Charlie matched up her mysterious and obscure history with martial arts, Atlantic City, and a plumber whose life went down the drain, Ralph Elliot. Charlie gets scared once again from being committed but this time for a seemingly legitimate reason, because she's going to C...leave him. They end up marrying eventually however and his over-enthused but humdrum police pal (LaPaglia), warns him while they're honeymooning that his Axe-chopping wife is precisely so. Scared once again, he tries to stay in the open but all the hotel guests force the couple to retire upstairs to be alone! Then this is when we find out that deranged Rose (Plummer) is really the troubled culprit. An interesting battle between our oblivious Charlie and the malevolent and spiteful Rose kicks off with a couple of foot shots to the crotch. Ouch! All ends well with jailbird sister getting locked up and Charlie and Harriet both become Love…ED! Great Finish.

Having a crazed-out, wild-eyed Scottish father (Stuart Mackenzie, not Fat Bastard) really energizes the one-liners for this movie. His insane antics include doing a solo of "If you think I'm sexy", and then there was his "Pentaveret" theory and hating the colonel because of his wee bee eyes, and "Oh you're gonna buy my chicken, oh". A superb job indeed he does as the Fazsha, who jaunts around the house trouser less, dances to the Bay City Rollers, and honors Sean Connery on the Scottish Wall of Fame. Priceless. There must've been an addictive chemical in the movie that makes you crave for it nightly… SMART@55!! Mike Myers is something else.

Did any of you movie geeks see Joan Cusack at the Poetry Club?

Author: gg69 from San Jose, CA, United States
23 January 2005

I mean "geek" with the utmost respect, as I consider myself one. So I'm curious to know if anyone else saw the camera flash onto Joan Cusack a moment, I believe, when Charlie (Myers) was doing his insipid, yet funny, on stage poem about Harriet (the "hard hearted 'harbinger?' of Haggis")? I'm a fan of Joan and John Cusack and that certainly looked like Joan in a hat at the club. I've looked all over for her name as yet another cameo, but with no success. Does anyone know? Just another bit of "useless cocktail party trivia" to add to my list!

Well, I have to admit, this movie is one of Mike Myer's best pieces of work! It being an obvious preamble to many of his following characters, many whom were Scottish! His one liners, mostly as Stuart, are some of the most memorable, and his description of Scottish Martial Arts, "Fookyoo", is rightly the darned funniest!!!!!

Pure Classic Myers

Author: tbone_4ever
22 December 2004

This movie is one of those greats that you can watch over and over again and laugh every time. It is Mike Myers at his (at the time) best. His portrayal as Charlie is made great by his perfect facial expressions. However, the real humor in this movie comes from Myers' performance as his father, Stuart. He is absolutely hilarious whenever we see him. His comments about William's (whose relationship to Stuart is never explained) large head are priceless. And his cry after the wedding is pure gold. no matter how often I see this movie, I laugh hysterically every time. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs a laugh! I just got it as an early Christmas gift, and I have watched it three times. Every time I hear "HEED, MOVE, NOW!!" I can't hold it back. If you think you don't like Mike based on the Austin Powers movies, then give this one a try. It just might change your opinion.

a hitchcock comedy with style and charisma

Author: silverzero from dungarvan, ireland
7 July 2002

so i married an axe murderer may be a horendous title for a movie, but nonetheless the plot,atmosphere and script redeem it in as many ways imaginable. the movie delivers slight sophistication and moderate success.it has a distinctive 90's san fransisco tone and to sum it up, is a light hearted black comedy with an award winning cast and superior script writing.from a critical analysis i would give it 7.3 out of 10.

Mike Myers in his element and an entertaining plot, but not great

Author: robsellke from Illinois
22 August 2000

Mike Myers plays his perfect Saturday Night Live role (except for Wayne's World, of course), but the movie doesn't have that many laughs. The plot, however, is rather attention keeping, and you actually care about the characters. Mike Myers plays a San Franciscan bachelor with a history of paranoia about his girlfriends' crime records. He meets the lovely Harriet and thinks she is "Mrs. X" an infamous husband-killer on the loose, with whereabouts unknown. He pulls off the role well, and the end there is a big unexpected plot twist, which doesn't make the movie too predictable. All-in-all a 7 out of 10.

Funny.

Author: Peach-2 from Netherlands
22 June 1999

This film goes on a bit too long, but watching Mike Myers play two different characters is very funny. When Myers is in the father make-up, it is absolutely hilarious. I laughed for weeks over his off color comments and his facial expressions. This film is uneven, but worth the ride for the performances.

A Truly Good Film from an SNL alumni

Author: mystic80
11 May 1999

Charlie MacKenzie is a guy who can't make a commitment. Driven by the characteristics of his former girlfriends, Charlie makes amusingly cryptic poems about his old relationships in a coffee house. His life has been pretty good for now until he meets Harriet who is the perfect match for Charlie. The two of them become a couple alongside the support of Charlie's eccentric but friendly parents played by Brenda Fricker and Myers again as his loudmouthed father and his best friend, an excellent Anthony LaPaglia. But Harriet bares a secret that Charlie begins to suspect. This film is one of the best comedies I've seen because it's witty, smartly crafted, and most important funny. This definitely is one of the best comedies from an SNL alumni. On top of the film are great cameos by Michael Richards, Alan Arkin, Charles Grodin, and Debi Mazar among them.

These people are nuts, this film is GREAT

Author: Dax (dbakk) from Madison, WI
20 May 2003

I don't understand the mediocre comments from most of the reviewers...

This is a sleeper film if I've ever seen one. There's not as much, if any, of the usual slapstick Mike Meyers humor in it. Rather it's filled with great dialog and smart, subtle humor... Also it, as some have pointed out, is a prelude to the character-type roles and stereotypes Mike M. plays in his future films.

I love this movie and consider it one of my all-time favorite comedies. If you love movies like "Office Space" and "Best In Show", then you'll *get* this movie. It's the kind of film you have to watch again and again because there's a lot to miss the first time around, and it gets funnier every time you watch it.

I give it at least an 8 overall and a 9 for a comedy...

Bland comedy works fine as a romance waiting for the final curtain.

Author: Jason C. Atwood from Suffolk, Virginia
10 March 1999

I feel this movie had been rushed out in a hurry, messing up what should have been an otherwise enjoyable story about love at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Mike Myers is a tad dull, especially when singing his "Woman" numbers, but he remains casually fitting to offer a few jolly gags. This is really more of your sentimental date movie than a mystery thriller that is graciously hidden in place. A well deserved plot involving "Lady X" from a tabloid does greater justice with the film, and soon enough with patience, the sparks fly at the very conclusion. I will laugh only when a movie has a meaningful purpose to tickle my head, not by how acting provides an amusement to simply brand the word "comedy" on the package. Average at best.

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]