IMDb > So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Funny.

Author: Peach-2 from Netherlands
22 June 1999

This film goes on a bit too long, but watching Mike Myers play two different characters is very funny. When Myers is in the father make-up, it is absolutely hilarious. I laughed for weeks over his off color comments and his facial expressions. This film is uneven, but worth the ride for the performances.

A Truly Good Film from an SNL alumni

Author: mystic80
11 May 1999

Charlie MacKenzie is a guy who can't make a commitment. Driven by the characteristics of his former girlfriends, Charlie makes amusingly cryptic poems about his old relationships in a coffee house. His life has been pretty good for now until he meets Harriet who is the perfect match for Charlie. The two of them become a couple alongside the support of Charlie's eccentric but friendly parents played by Brenda Fricker and Myers again as his loudmouthed father and his best friend, an excellent Anthony LaPaglia. But Harriet bares a secret that Charlie begins to suspect. This film is one of the best comedies I've seen because it's witty, smartly crafted, and most important funny. This definitely is one of the best comedies from an SNL alumni. On top of the film are great cameos by Michael Richards, Alan Arkin, Charles Grodin, and Debi Mazar among them.

These people are nuts, this film is GREAT

Author: Dax (dbakk) from Madison, WI
20 May 2003

I don't understand the mediocre comments from most of the reviewers...

This is a sleeper film if I've ever seen one. There's not as much, if any, of the usual slapstick Mike Meyers humor in it. Rather it's filled with great dialog and smart, subtle humor... Also it, as some have pointed out, is a prelude to the character-type roles and stereotypes Mike M. plays in his future films.

I love this movie and consider it one of my all-time favorite comedies. If you love movies like "Office Space" and "Best In Show", then you'll *get* this movie. It's the kind of film you have to watch again and again because there's a lot to miss the first time around, and it gets funnier every time you watch it.

I give it at least an 8 overall and a 9 for a comedy...

Not Myers' funniest film but more hits than misses

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 January 2003

Charlie is a deadbeat poet who's poetry all comes from his failed relationships. This all turns around when he meets a butcher, Harriet, who might just be the girl of his dreams! However Charlie notices little things that begin to suggest that Harriet may be Mrs X, a serial killer who marries and then murders her husbands.

Between striking gold with Wayne's World and then Austin Powers, Myers struck out with this comedy which is never as funny as his better creations but is still enjoyable. The plot is a farce at heart as Charlie runs in fear of his potentially murderous girlfriend – or is it his fear of commitment? It creates a few funny set pieces, but the real humour happens around the edges. For example the climax in a hotel is OK but the funniest bit is Officer Giardino interviewing a suspect while we hear Charlie's screams in the background. Luckily there is just enough stuff round the edges to cover the weaknesses in the middle.

Myers is weak because he is not playing a character. He is best when he has a creation to play – hence his desire to do as many as he can of late. However here Charlie is a `normal' person. Happily, when he is playing his Scottish father, he is hilarious – but that only happens 2 or 3 times and isn't enough. Travis is good but Plummer just does her usual bug-eyed crazy stuff. LaPaglia is funny in his side role, and his relationship with nervous boss Arkin is the funniest stuff. Helping the side jokes be the best is a list of cameos, some of which don't work, but most do. Wright, Hartman, Mazar, Grodin, and Richards all do good to keep the thing feel lively.

Overall this is not Myers at his best and some of it just isn't very funny. However, the majority of the film has regular laughs and there's enough to cover the weaknesses and make this 90 worth seeing. As time goes on the soundtrack gets more and more dated but if you like Myers then you should find much of his sense of humour to enjoy here.

My Favorite Mike Meyers Comedy

Author: andrewsk8s from Sunnyvale, CA
23 October 2004

Also, one of my favorite of all comedies. The Scottish family humor is the funniest stuff, I think. It should be a sit-com, or a recurring sketch on SNL. (possible spoilers)

I just love the way Myers says "Gargantuan cranium" and "virtual planetoid" in the Scottish accent, and watching Anthony LaPaglia try to keep from bursting out in laughter through the whole scene. I had hoped for years that Mike Myers would re-visit the Scottish family humor because it was tears in your eyes hilarious. I think we got some of that in Shrek and also the big fat villain in Austin Powers. Great cast with lots of known actors and comedians in minor roles, and great locations in and around SF. Though it was a comedy reality, it rang true for me. I knew a guy just like Charlie McKenzie in college, living the cool "artist" life in the city with no apparent means of support. He just hung out at coffee houses, smoking cigarettes, wearing his worn black jacket with a poetry book in the pocket, and frequenting open mike nights.

Good but not great

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
14 February 2009

Of course this movie is not that funny as Austin Powers series, actually I remember only few moments which were really funny, there were lots of jokes, but most of them were not very funny because they were already used in many other films, but this movie is great in some other terms. The story wasn't anything special or original, but the characters were great. The actors did a great job especially Nancy Travis, I think she was a great choice for this role, because she looked kinda mysterious in this film, just like Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. The soundtrack really raised the quality of this film. This movie has some originality, it started of good, but the ending was very predictable and banal. Anyways I still think that this movie is very entertaining.

Best Mike Myers role ever....???

Author: Dani from Canada
29 April 2008

Well, let's just say, I don't know if it was one of his best, because he's known throughout the WORLD as Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery. However, like most Canadians, I am proud to say that Mike Myers is one of us, and he has a great sense of humor.

This wasn't my favorite Mike Myers role, but it was really funny. Anthony LaPaglia is perfect in this movie as the bumbling cop, it really suits him well. I can't give away the story line, but let me just tell you it has all the right twists and turns.

Usually comedies don't have a lot of suspense in them, but this one did, and yes it had me guessing all the way to the end, is she or isn't she? I loved the cameos especially the late, the great, Phil Hartman, being a Saturday Night Live fan, it was really great seeing him in one of his great roles. Charles Grodin is funny as the angry guy in the car, very funny.

Anyways, it's a great movie filled with laughs, suspense and of course Mike Myers. I gave this movie a 7 out of 10, because well, it was a pretty good movie, maybe even great, and it had me guessing right up until the very end.

HEAD, Move!…So I Married an Axe Murderer

Author: jaredmobarak from buffalo, ny, usa
23 March 2008

Sometimes nostalgia makes a film even better when watching again after a long hiatus. Heck, I didn't even really view it as I was doing work while it played in the background. The memories I had of So I Married an Axe Murderer allowed me to fill in the blanks and create a seamless experience for when I did look at the TV screen. The script itself is very funny and Mike Myers shows all the potential he had a decade and a half ago. Not to say he didn't live up to it, but I may say he has never matched the brilliance of this, his first big non-SNL character vehicle. Sure he will always be Austin Powers, but to me, I'll never forget his beatnik poetry and crazy Scottish family.

Myers plays a commitment-phobe who has finally met the woman he believes could be the one to spend the rest of his life with. Unfortunately, his paranoia—and possibly the truth—leads to the discovery that she may be Mrs. X, a serial husband killer at large. The beauty of the movie, though, is that this aspect isn't the one-joke trick harped on over and over again. Instead we are shown Myers' family, his police officer friend—Anthony LaPaglia—and his relationship with his police captain (Alan Arkin steals every scene), and the ups and down of dating his new love. It all comes back to the murderous intrigue, but by adding all the other comedic elements to complement, we never get bashed over the head, so when that plot point comes back it never feels stale.

It is the characters that truly succeed to make this film hold up over time. Myers is fantastic as a normal guy, not needing to be a caricature like he seems to enjoy being of late with all his alter egos. What we get instead is maybe a representation of him, an unassuming guy with a sense of humor to win over any woman he meets. His delivery is priceless throughout and he even shows he can do some stunts in the action rooftop scenes towards the end. It's his turn as the father Stuart that is most memorable. Between the horrible Scottish accent, Coke-bottle eyewear, and crass language, you are laughing before he even gets a chance to speak his lines.

The rest of the cast is great too. Nancy Travis is the perfect love-interest, playing the dual-life card with enough mystery so that we never quite know if she is really the killer until the ending; Amanda Plummer is crazy and eccentric as always playing her sister; LaPaglia has the dumb cop down-pat; and the who's who of cameos is great. From Phil Hartman to Steven Wright, to Charles Grodin, everyone does his job. It may not be the best comedy out there, but for some reason, if it's on TV I always find myself glued to the screen needing to watch, or listen as with today, once more, quoting every funny line before it's spoken.

clever, creative, picture show!

Author: pokatime from United States
17 December 2006

The title can scare some folks away when I tell them about this fine film. Don't let it scare you away!

It is exceptionally funny,insightful, and actually has a good message on relationships.

Mike Myers is brilliant as both the lead character and his father. There are some really hilarious lines and scenes that can be recounted with film friends over and over again. definitely worth the watch. The supporting cast does a great job.

Be sure to see it in the unedited uncut version for the real deal humour. Especially the Alcatraz island tour given by the late great Phil Hartman.

Laugh until you cry

Author: Luck_72 from Victoria, BC CANADA
16 November 2006

By now everyone has seen the Austin Powers Movies, and by their own gen ere they are great. This movie, I think, is just a little bit better. The first time I saw this movie was when in came out in 1993, I was in a theater with my girlfriend which had maybe 7 other people in the whole theater, I think they paid just because this theater had the best air conditioning in North America. I was expecting something a whole lot different than what I was watching. I thought it was going to be a horror movie, to be honest, I thought "How to lose a guy in 10 days" was more of a horror movie than this one.

This movie actually made me cry, I have never cried in a movie, but this one, I was crying from laughing....(and she thought I was sensitive). From the Scottish Father with and his pronunciation of "head" and Paraniod son played by Mike Myers, to Anthony La Paglia playing a cop, with his sense of humor and his trying to command-ere a vehicle, all of the cameos, this movie...just rocked.

I don't want to give too much away, I can't believe that Mike Myers playing his father in this movie sang the Tom Jones song, "If you want my body, and you think I'm sexy" with bagpipes, I have no I idea how anyone could play that song or even get enough air in bagpipes to play that song. " We have a piper down " So rent this movie, catch it on TV, and I assure you... you will laugh.

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]