IMDb > So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

guilty sin

Author: cpwebb from Alexandria, VA
16 April 2002

My favorite B-movie. If you're a referential person you'll be quoting lines from this movie into your golden years. "Head! Pants now!" I also love the cameos of Allan Arkin, Steven Wright, Phil Hartman and especially Charles Grodin. I can't tell you how many people don't realize Mike Myers plays the role of the Father in addition.

hied move!

Author: scottspostbox from Glasgow
13 January 2002

This light-hearted comedy is amongst other things a p*** take of all things Scottish and a chance for Mr Myers to show off his much used Scottish accent. While this could all have gone horribly wrong I genuinely love this film. It is wickedly funny in places but it is its overall warmness that makes it a success (unfortunately not at the box office anywhere near as much as it should have been). A real feel good movie.

Being Scottish I appreciate the films stance. Whilst mocking all those terrible tartan images which are so cringeworthy at the best of times it never takes it too far and it feels like it is an affectionate laugh at us and our 'culture' rather than an out and out pisstake. Besides Myers is genuinely funny whatever he does and well San Francisco's never looked better has it.

Charlie - light a

Some excellent scenes make up for a ropey plot

Author: edgalvin from Cork, Ireland
16 December 2001

An early Mike Myers film, but I think better than the far more successful Austin Powers series, though not as good as Waynes World.

Cameos are used to great effect in this scene. Phil Hartman gets only a couple of minutes screen time but his Alcatraz tour guide, Vicki, serves up a hilarious anecdote about Machine Gun Kelly and his romantic endeavours. Alan Arkin, Michael Richards and Charles Grodin also provide the laughs in their cameos.

The plot is not the best, but it does not take from the gags which the film is really all about. In case you were worried Nancy Travis plays quite a straight character leaving the humour to Myers et al, which is for the best. Sorry Ms Travis.

Hilarious and Charming Comedy

Author: AmericanPanascope from United States
11 November 2001

This movie is really funny, and also has a sweet love story to go with it. Mike Myers does his "Shrek" scottish voice on his senile father, which is totally hilarious. The movie also has some really eerie moments as well.

The best part of this movie has to be Phil Hartman's hilarious performance as "Vicky", the deranged Alcatraz tour guide who obviously spent too much time around the prisoners.

Basically, Mike Myers falls in love with Harriet, the butcher woman who sells him a haggis (a Scottish delicacy which has a reputation of being one of the most disgusting foods on Earth). However, there's nothing to be grossed out about it when you see it - it just looks like a sausage. There's a hiliarious scene that ensues where Charlie starts goofing around with the meat (the DVD chapter for this scene is called "Fun With Meat".)

Anyway, Charlie Mackenzie (MYERS) is a beat poet who hangs out at a poetry bar called "Roads", which happens to be on a street called Jack Kerouac Boulevard. This place serves enormous cappucinos which Charlie likes to make fun of. His friend is a flamboyant Italian detective who is something of a glutton for punishment. Charlie's father, also played by Mike Myers, gives a truly memorable mockery of some kid's giant head. "It's like Sputnik"

Then there's the thing in the car on the way to a really creepy place called "Poet's Corner", where Charlie does all the talking FOR Harriet. Pretty funny. Then there's a hilarious cameo by Charles Grodin. (see the Quotes section for this page).

All in all, a great and fun movie.

One of my all-time favorites

Author: KIRAMOR from Florida
13 July 2001

I can't even count how many people I have gotten hooked on this movie because I made them watch it with me once. There are a few movies I have purchased over the years that I can watch over and over and over again, and this is one of them. I have probably seen it 25 times, and even know the whole movie script by heart. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie, and if you have already, watch it again. Mike Meyers is one of the funniest guys that ever lived.

meet mike myers

Author: ed winters (eddiejobob) from cali
5 February 2001

This is the best of Mike Myers's films to date. I know that it's not the most popular but it represents the intelligent humor that Myers is capable of but chooses not to explore for apparent commercial reasons. It is a pity that SNL's "movie stars" have all become "Sandlered" by releasing teen targeted movies with few genuinely funny moments. I only hope that with future success Mike Myers will take over Woody Allen's throne. Hollywood could do worse than release films with integrity by artists whose following grows yearly rather than the current dustbin classics of late. An artist is young only once; but can remain immature indefinitely.

A great Mike Myers movie

Author: mml6 from Los Angeles, California
19 June 2000

Mike Myers, as his own father Stuart, is quite possibly one of the funniest characters I have every seen, and it is worth it to watch if only for those moments. The rest is strong as well, with excellent comedic performances from Anthony LaPaglia, Alan Arkin, and the late great Phil Hartman. Not the tightest script around, So I Married an Axe Murderer makes up for any lags with its hearty and frequent laughs, coming mostly from the excellent acting of Myers and the aforementioned performers. I guarantee that anyone who watches this movie will be quoting from it.

Wonderful Cast and Quotes!

Author: Scott Paul from Michigan
19 June 2000

This movie is a must-rent and a sleeper phenom! The very best cast has come together to create a memorable romantic comedy with some of the best quotes in movie-dom! Of course, Mike Myers has that gift! His blurbs get repeated at the water cooler the next day... His portrayal as son AND Father is precious, and Brenda Fricker is a marvelous mum, giving the willies and the grins as she leers at Mike's buddy (Anthony LaPaglia)! My favorite scenes are LaPaglia with Alan Arkin as his Police Boss, doing the Serpico stuff! Wonderful!

ROSE! Jailbird...

Author: KappaSig83@aol.com from Pleasantville, TN
22 May 2000

"Betty.. Judy... Josie and those hot Pussycats! They make me horny... Saturday morn'y! ...."

"Jane, get me off this crazy thing... called 'love.'"

My God! May all seven rings of Dante's Inferno fall upon those heads which have clicked "6" as a rating! TO HELL I CAST THEE! What an amazing catharsis for Mike Meyers' true talent. "Wayne's World"? Sure, it was good... part 2 proved to be just as good if not better. (And, if you didn't laugh your ass off to the mere SOUND of: "weird naked Indian guy"... you have problems.) But, damn... What a great movie Axe Murderer is.

The opening sequence just sets the tone. We follow what seems to be a TUB of cafe-whatever. Low and behold, it lands right into the hands of one Charlie MacKenzie, a 2nd generation Irishman turned wiseass. He delicately holds the robuste cup and says to us-- the waitress: "Um, excuse me, but I think I order the LARGE cappuccino... HELLO!... Jeez, look at this thing... It looks like Cambell's Cup-O-Cino...." And the facial expressions, body guestures... oh my! Comedic genius, flat out.

Mike Meyers, if you are reading this, you are a great, great comedian/actor. You've done a HELLUVA job with "So I Married..." and your powerhouse movies, both "Austin Powers...." Good stuff, my friend. Keep it up, and tell Dana (Carvey) I said to get well. Hey, it's never too late to do a part 3-- of WAYNE'S WORLD! WAYNE'S WORLD! IT'S PARTY-TIME! EXCELLENT! WAYNE'S WORLD!.... Mike, you're a 10! Behave?! Oh, I shan't!....

Quirky and funny!

Author: Becky from Philadelphia
2 February 2000

I love all of the quirky parts in this movie! One of the best scenes is when Charlie (Meyers) is watching "A Current Affair" while using a theighmaster! Charlie's dad (also Meyers) is hilarious with his outrageous Scottish accent and rude personality. And Rose, Harriet's strange sister, is funny when she offers to make a wonderful breakfast for Charlie. The last 20 min aren't quite up to par with the rest of the film IMO, but over all I gave it 8/10 stars.

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]