IMDb > So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
So I Married an Axe Murderer

So I Married an Axe Murderer More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Not to be taken seriously

Author: jcasetnl from Oakland, CA
29 July 2004

From the start it's clear we're not supposed to take this movie too literally. Anyone that can appreciate Myer's seemless skips between sarcasm and slapstick will enjoy this film immensely. Think of Cameron Crowe with a slightly twisted, yet dryer wit, but with the same kind of whimsy. No, you're not supposed to wonder too hard about how someone can afford such a nice apartment on a butcher's pay. The focus is on the emotions and comedy, which never fail to deliever.

Another great aspect of this film, for those that can keep up, is the incredibly eclectic mix of humor. Whether it comes from Charlie's Scottish father, Anthony Lapaglia's 'Serpico' wannabe attitude or Phil Hartman's twisted alcatraz tour guide speach, the jokes come from all directions and serve to make the film incredibly rewatchable.

Geeky Randy's summary

Author: Geeky Randy from United States
30 September 2015

After numerous breakups over what his friends and family consider shallow and a way to avoid commitment, the hard-to-please aspiring poet Mike Myers finally finds himself the perfect match in Nancy Travis... there's only one flaw... she might be an axe murderer! Very Mike Myers humor with lots of buddy comedians in supporting roles or cameos, all taking place in a so-very-'90s San Francisco—this film only works because all the pieces fall into the right place. Surprisingly light-hearted given its title, only getting dark in the third act. Killer (pun?) soundtrack. Travis actually cut off the tip of her finger during a scene at the butcher shop.

★★★ (out of four)

Hilarious

Author: vchimpanzee
2 May 2013

In San Francisco, Charlie reads poetry at a place where the 90s version of hippies or beatniks hang out. His friend Tony works as an undercover cop. His very Scottish father Stuart is a butcher, and his mother May loves the tabloid Weekly World News.

Charlie sees a butcher shop that has meats from all over the world. He goes there to buy haggis for his father and meets the cute Harriet who runs the place. Because he has worked for his father and Harriet needs the help, Charlie goes to work there on one of his visits. Eventually Charlie and Harriet start dating. Charlie also meets Harriet's quirky sister Rose. But Charlie finds too many similarities between Harriet and a serial killer his mother is reading about in the tabloids.

Meanwhile, Tony doesn't feel satisfaction in his job. He doesn't get yelled at like TV cops do.

So will things work out between Charlie and Harriet? I think the movie's title gives it away, but will she really turn out to be a killer?

Mike Myers does a fine job as Charlie and is delightfully over-the-top as his father. Nancy Travis is so likable I wish she had done more of these movies. Amanda Plummer is cute in a slightly mentally ill sort of way.

Numerous supporting players, some with only a few lines, give wonderful performances. Alan Arkin and Anthony LaPaglia have one particularly memorable scene as Tony finally gets what he wants--though will he regret it? Charles Grodin is great as the driver of a car forced to pick up a hitchhiker on official police business. And Phil Hartman is as stiff as a "Dragnet" cop and as funny as the cast of "Airplane!" as a former Alcatraz guard giving tours of the former prison.

This is a wonderfully funny movie with an exciting ending.

Funny Movie

Author: hartkid13 (hartkid13@yahoo.com) from Fort Worth, Texas
27 June 2004

This is a classic. Mike Myers is hilarious in both roles as Charlie and his father Stuart. Stuart is only in a small portion of the movie, but is incredibly funny. Charlie must be a poet because that is the only job related activity he is involved in all movie. Anthony LaPaglia is good as a sort of modern day straight man. LaPaglia plays a cop who is dissatisfied with his job because its nothing like Starsky and Hutch. Nancy Travis does a good job being creepy, but a believable creepy. She is a butcher named Harriet with whom Charlie falls in love. He comes to believe she is a murderer who kills her husband. It is really such a stupid premise that it is funny. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. This movie is totally worth the 4 bucks to rent or even the $10 to buy on DVD.

Mike Meyers silliness without Austin Powers excess - Excellent

Author: DeeplyShallow from U.S.A.
26 October 2003

Perfect "romantic comedy" for the sentimentally challenged or paranoid. No matter how many times I see it (I'll admit to several viewings), I can't help but laugh out loud at Mike Meyers deadpan silliness and over-the-top impersonations (his Colonel Sanders hating, Rod Stewart-worshiping Scottish father is a classic.) The story follows the commitment phobic Charlie [Meyers] (think "High Fidelity" with a paranoid, ADD lead) as he finally falls for the perfect woman - who bears an uncanny resemblance to the husband-murdering black widow profiled in the latest "Weekly World News" (or as his mother calls it, "The Paper".) Great supporting players (Check out Anthony LaPaglia, lately of television's "Frasier" and "Without a Trace" as a Serpico wanna-be). I'd choose this silliness over another Austin Powers retread anyday. How about a sequel to this one, Mike?

Joyously funny

Author: Nicki from Huntsville, AL
7 October 2003

Mike Myers and director Thomas Schlamme are right on the mark here compared to the insipid "Austin Powers" series (directed by Jay Roach). SIMAAM really showcases Myers' talents along with a good script, and all beautifully filmed in San Francisco. Myers and Nancy Travis are great together, and Myers' dual-role is pure, absolute comedy! (Heed! MUUV!!) That concept works so well here, again much better than in "Powers" where it's WAY over-used. This is also the first time I've seen a small jazz combo used as a comedy prop. VERY clever!!

Watching this at home, I laughed copiously, rather than punching the "FF" button when watching "Powers". Myers is funny; I wish he were more choosey with his scripts (and directors). SIMAAM is more for adults. As a parent, I'd heed the PG-13 rating.

A great date film

Author: jcasetnl from Oakland, CA
21 July 2003

How does a poet performing at the local bistro afford an apartment in San Francisco? The bottom line is, who cares?

This is an above average romantic comedy that you'll thoroughly enjoy if you don't ask too many questions and are willing to go with the flow of its idealized characters and situations.

And even if you're not a huge fan of romantic comedy, there's plenty of side jokes and hilarious Mike Myer's sarcasm throughout to keep things lively. For fans of Mike Myers, this film is a must-see.

Underrated Mike Myers Classic

Author: Franky from Gloucester, MA
14 December 2002

Mike Myers has played memorable characters over the years (Wayne from Wayne's World, Austin Powers, Dr. Evil, Shrek, etc). In So I Married An Axe Murderer, you can see a lot of characteristics of future classic characters that he would eventually play. Myers plays his own father in this film (playing more that 1 character in a movie which he has done throughout the Austin Powers series). His father has a strikingly familiar Scottish accent similar to the one used for Fat Bastard.

I highly recommend this film because of it's humor and it should be considered a Mike Myers classic.

an absolute "Bobby Dazzler"

Author: jasonspooner from san francisco
9 October 2001

This film is an absolute corker, let down only by a ".......we`ve gotta have an Axe Murderer in it if we`re going to call it that....." said the studio executive, tacked on endng. This film features some brilliant comedy set-pieces including Phil Hartman (you may remember him from such films as "Sergeant Bilko") as Warden "Vicki" and Michael Richards.

Mike Myers is funny in dual roles and Anthoney LaPaglia is great(especially when complaining to Alan Arkin about his job as Police Detective.

Incidently the film was allegedly developed for Chevy Chase & Sharon Stone.

This is a hilarious movie....

Author: **Megan** from CANADA
14 August 2000

So I Married an Axe murderer is one of the many masterpieces made thoroughly enjoyable by Mike Myers. He captures the character of an old, set in his way, scotsman as well as is commitment fearing "poet" son perfectly. The other characters (Harriet, May, "Heed") add to the experience. This movie really does measure up to the Waynes World(s) as far as plot, characters and content go, but as far as overall hilarity, i would have to say it doesnt quite measure up. Thats not to say this isnt one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is. My favourite character is Stuart Mackenzie, who entertains us with the jab's at the size of his son's "heed" and hatred towards The Colenol. "Because he puts a special ingredient in your chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly smartass!" If you haven't seen this movie, run, DONT WALK! to the video store and do so, you wont regret it. :)!!

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]