IMDb > So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
So I Married an Axe Murderer

So I Married an Axe Murderer More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

HEAD, Move!…So I Married an Axe Murderer

Author: jaredmobarak from buffalo, ny, usa
23 March 2008

Sometimes nostalgia makes a film even better when watching again after a long hiatus. Heck, I didn't even really view it as I was doing work while it played in the background. The memories I had of So I Married an Axe Murderer allowed me to fill in the blanks and create a seamless experience for when I did look at the TV screen. The script itself is very funny and Mike Myers shows all the potential he had a decade and a half ago. Not to say he didn't live up to it, but I may say he has never matched the brilliance of this, his first big non-SNL character vehicle. Sure he will always be Austin Powers, but to me, I'll never forget his beatnik poetry and crazy Scottish family.

Myers plays a commitment-phobe who has finally met the woman he believes could be the one to spend the rest of his life with. Unfortunately, his paranoia—and possibly the truth—leads to the discovery that she may be Mrs. X, a serial husband killer at large. The beauty of the movie, though, is that this aspect isn't the one-joke trick harped on over and over again. Instead we are shown Myers' family, his police officer friend—Anthony LaPaglia—and his relationship with his police captain (Alan Arkin steals every scene), and the ups and down of dating his new love. It all comes back to the murderous intrigue, but by adding all the other comedic elements to complement, we never get bashed over the head, so when that plot point comes back it never feels stale.

It is the characters that truly succeed to make this film hold up over time. Myers is fantastic as a normal guy, not needing to be a caricature like he seems to enjoy being of late with all his alter egos. What we get instead is maybe a representation of him, an unassuming guy with a sense of humor to win over any woman he meets. His delivery is priceless throughout and he even shows he can do some stunts in the action rooftop scenes towards the end. It's his turn as the father Stuart that is most memorable. Between the horrible Scottish accent, Coke-bottle eyewear, and crass language, you are laughing before he even gets a chance to speak his lines.

The rest of the cast is great too. Nancy Travis is the perfect love-interest, playing the dual-life card with enough mystery so that we never quite know if she is really the killer until the ending; Amanda Plummer is crazy and eccentric as always playing her sister; LaPaglia has the dumb cop down-pat; and the who's who of cameos is great. From Phil Hartman to Steven Wright, to Charles Grodin, everyone does his job. It may not be the best comedy out there, but for some reason, if it's on TV I always find myself glued to the screen needing to watch, or listen as with today, once more, quoting every funny line before it's spoken.

clever, creative, picture show!

Author: pokatime from United States
17 December 2006

The title can scare some folks away when I tell them about this fine film. Don't let it scare you away!

It is exceptionally funny,insightful, and actually has a good message on relationships.

Mike Myers is brilliant as both the lead character and his father. There are some really hilarious lines and scenes that can be recounted with film friends over and over again. definitely worth the watch. The supporting cast does a great job.

Be sure to see it in the unedited uncut version for the real deal humour. Especially the Alcatraz island tour given by the late great Phil Hartman.

Laugh until you cry

Author: Luck_72 from Victoria, BC CANADA
16 November 2006

By now everyone has seen the Austin Powers Movies, and by their own gen ere they are great. This movie, I think, is just a little bit better. The first time I saw this movie was when in came out in 1993, I was in a theater with my girlfriend which had maybe 7 other people in the whole theater, I think they paid just because this theater had the best air conditioning in North America. I was expecting something a whole lot different than what I was watching. I thought it was going to be a horror movie, to be honest, I thought "How to lose a guy in 10 days" was more of a horror movie than this one.

This movie actually made me cry, I have never cried in a movie, but this one, I was crying from laughing....(and she thought I was sensitive). From the Scottish Father with and his pronunciation of "head" and Paraniod son played by Mike Myers, to Anthony La Paglia playing a cop, with his sense of humor and his trying to command-ere a vehicle, all of the cameos, this movie...just rocked.

I don't want to give too much away, I can't believe that Mike Myers playing his father in this movie sang the Tom Jones song, "If you want my body, and you think I'm sexy" with bagpipes, I have no I idea how anyone could play that song or even get enough air in bagpipes to play that song. " We have a piper down " So rent this movie, catch it on TV, and I assure you... you will laugh.

Still a favorite of mine.

Author: Joel (Tenchi64589@aol.com) from Flower Mound, Texas
26 October 2006

It's been several years since I've seen this movie... of course now, I don't have Comedy Central cheapening it.

A lot of the lines I still remember and most of them I laugh at still... this is a rare treat for movie fans even if it's been an entire decade since they've shown this.

This may not have been Mike Meyers' best, but it is very memorable and very, very funny... especially if you like morbid humor; I almost peed my pants after seeing that bagpipe player keel over in the middle of a rendition of "Do ya think I'm sexy." The only thing that bothers me is that it was too short... other than that, it does well enough on it's own.

If you like these types of movies, this is for you.

Yeah, baby, yeah!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
13 September 2006

To most of us, Mike Myers is either Wayne Campbell or Austin Powers. So, it may come to some surprise that he played a somewhat different role in "So I Married an Axe Murderer". As San Francisco poet Charlie Mackenzie, who suspects that his girlfriend (Nancy Travis) may be a killer, he makes the most of his role. As it is, he not only plays Charlie, but also Charlie's Scottish immigrant father (he was probably priming himself to play multiple roles in the Austin Powers movies). Watching the movie, one may feel like writing some poetry.

There are some scenes in the movie that might tense you up. But, they know how to play these scenes so that everything comes out funny. After all, this is Mike Myers here. Anyway, it's not the funniest movie ever, but still worth seeing, if only once. Also starring Anthony LaPaglia, Amanda Plummer, Brenda Fricker, Matt Doherty, Charles Grodin, Phil Hartman, Debi Mazar, Steven Wright, and Michael Richards in a brief appearance.

One helluva lot of fun!!!!!

Author: janet-55 from United Kingdom
20 June 2006

If you're a fan of Mike Myers then this is high quality Myers oeuvre which you shouldn't miss. The film is a fine example of rom-com mayhem as one would expect from Myers, but lovely for all that (shades of "Shrek" in here perhaps?). As Charlie's (played by Myers) outrageous Scottish father Stuart (also played by Mike), Myers goes totally and hilariously over the top. During the scene in which Cop Tony (LaPaglia)is invited to tea Myers is so ribtickling that it is clearly obvious that Anthony LaPaglia is genuinely corpsing himself. Mike's wonderful delivery and arm gestures while reciting his really appalling beat poetry "Woman! Whoa-man!" is wonderfully enhanced by the sight of LaPaglia watching dressed a la "Starsky and Hutch". This is a great not-to-be-missed visual cinema moment. I have no intention of telling you the story because it really doesn't matter what the film is about. It's just great watching Myers doing what Myers does best. P.S. I have to admit that for me the funniest bit is the exchange between Cop Tony (LaPaglia) and his far too sweet and gentle boss (Alan Arkin)! Though by far and away the sexiest scene is the wedding ceremony in which LaPaglia cuts a dash in a very becoming kilt!

Highly enjoyable and far too obscure

Author: larry.launders from Texas
4 May 2006

"So I Married An Ax Murderer" falls squarely into the category of movie that I have shown to other people whose first reactions were at best tepid, that changed to laughs that lingered for days and multiple viewings after having watched it.

This movie IS very funny. As other comments have stated, it is not quite the same type of comedy we tend to know Mike Meyers for. Coming after Wayne's World and before Austin Powers, this one went by without much notice, and that's a shame.

For so many SNL grads, Meyers stands above them all...save for a handful of grads from the original lineup. He only helps other SNL grads look even worse...if such could be possible.

What was Charlie McKenzie's occupation???

Author: nonyabiznus from United States
23 April 2006

A very funny movie, and one of Mike Myers' best works. Nancy Travis does a good job too, with Harriet's slightly spooky/spooked demeanor that Charlie interprets as dangerous. I really like the movie, but it's always bothered me that I can't figure out if Charlie has a job, and if so, what is it? He drives a crappy VW Carmen Ghia (oxidized and unrestored - cheap - BTW, I had a 68 convertible back in the day, such a cool car), apparently has an apt in SF (expensive), does the 'beat-poet' thing (cheap), is an experienced butcher (interesting), is not shown working or coming home from work or talking about his 'job'(also interesting) but his best friend is a police detective (very interesting). Am I missing something, because I don't recall anything about him having a job or anyone making reference to his occupation (exasperating)???!!!!

Mike Myers' brilliance is multidimensional

Author: smyles_eh from Canada
13 November 2005

This movie is right up there with Trading Places, 48 Hours, Crocodile Dundee, The Gods Must Be Crazy, etc. in my favourite comedies list.

It is (thankfully) no blockbuster*, but it contains more comedy gems than a diamond mine. This kind of movie is like a song you hear on the radio, but doesn't quite catch until you've hear it a few times. Once you get to know the words and intricacies of the tune, it ends up on your desert island list.

(*IMHO, a blockbuster has come to mean a slurry of hype and crap, leaving me with an overall feeling of disappointment and that I've been conned into dumping another bunch of cash into some studio's coffers) I've seen this movie many, many times, and every single time I see it, I am reduced to tears and convulsive laughter. Even clips will start me giggling (Heed! Paperrr! Now!, or S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!). I originally saw it at the theatre, and own it on tape and DVD, and even find myself watching it when it's on TV.

Mr. Myers' scenes in his Scottish alter-ego is excruciatingly funny, as was his Stuart Rankin character on Saturday Night Live ("If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!") OK, there are a few dry spots and certain scenes do go a bit overboard, but they are more than compensated for. In several scenes, Tony LaPaglia and Mike Myers are reminiscent of Tim Conway and Harvey Corman on the Carol Burnett show, trying so hard not to lose it completely. It's impossible not to laugh along.

As with Mike Myers' Austin Powers movies, it's not just what's happening centre stage/scene - watch for things in the periphery, such as the subtle expressions and body language in both the main and supporting cast members (Charlie's mum - "Oh, yes!", customers in the Meat Shop, Tony's boss, etc.), scenery, signs, etc. It's all testament to how much much attention he pays to detail.

All in all, it's worth watching at least a few times, if for no reason other than to embrace the comedy genius of Mike Myers.

It is an amazing movie. Well Acted, well directed, funny...what more can I say! Better than Shrek.

Author: fansuvspy from Canada
16 February 2005

By far this has got to be the best Mike Meyers film I have ever seen. Most people I have talked to disagree but I think they are nuts. Then again those people are the post-Austin Powers Meyers fans. The man really went down hill after this film, Austin Powers and it's sequels were horrible movies. They did not offer any thought provoking comedy, the sequels were the exact same jokes from the previous movie and the actors they got to play the female interests were annoying. The first Austin Powers was tolerable, but the other two were pathetic attempts to make more money without putting too much thought into it. Then there is Shrek. I laughed twice in that film. The first time was when the princess had the signing competition with the bird and it blew up while trying to match the high pitch voice of the princess, then she cooked its eggs. The second time was when they blew up those animals into balloons. The Donkey was annoying, Shrek most likely would've been better cast as Chris Farley (if he was still alive that is) and Cameron Diaz should be given a restraining order keeping her at least 200 yards away from film cameras at all times. Please don't think I'm some cynical little kid that thinks a movie has to be intelligent or completely original for it to be funny, cause I am not in the least (I am a Kung Pow fan for God sakes). I just ask for my movies to do what they are supposed to do, and that is entertain. So, having that been said, you most likely won't appreciate this film if you are a Shrek/Austin Powers fan. But this is the funniest, best cast, best written and best directed Mike Meyers film that is available.

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]