IMDb > Sleepless in Seattle (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 23: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A different love story

Author: neenahhh
19 February 2011

'When Harry Met Sally' is on the top of my romantic comedies, so I was really excited when I saw that this movie was produced by the same people who made my favorite rom-com of all time! I've heard about this movie ever since I was a young girl. I thought it was about two people staying up all night, talking and doing what-not in Seattle, hence the title. Boy, was I wrong.

This was a cute romantic movie. It's not like your typical, LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, bam!-kinda movies. (SPOILERS) In fact, the main characters don't even officially meet throughout most of the movie's duration! (/SPOILERS) I guess that was the theme of the movie. It shows how love is blind.

(SPOILERS) One thing I didn't like was how Annie dropped a stable relationship to risk having a relationship with someone she didn't even know. (/SPOILERS) That's my only complaint. I myself like security and stability, so that part didn't really jive with me.

Jonah's a cute kid, really caring about his father's happiness. Sam and Jonah's relationship is an example of a great father-son relationship that we don't get to see on screen too often. They're both very open and very warm with each other. It was very nice to watch.

If you liked 'When Harry Met Sally', be sure to watch this. They're somewhat on the same level even though, I personally liked the first one better.

Walter's reaction?

Author: csimpkins53 from United States
5 January 2011

First of all, I think this is basically a "chick" flick, but so what? I like it anyway. Now to my point. Walter seemed very nonchalant in receiving the news from Annie that she was leaving him for another guy. His calm, cool reaction doesn't seem very true to life from a guy who finds out his fiancé is leaving him. If I were in Walter's situation I would be devastated. I know this because I lost four fiancés to other guys. Each time I felt as if the girl had thrust her hand into my chest, ripped out my heart and threw it away! I wasn't angry with them but I was very hurt. As a result I have never married. Walter's reaction is much too calm.

A brilliant film for the romantic

Author: throughthefires from France
29 November 2010

I love romance !!! , this movie is wonderful, I think in a way its like another romance story with Prince William and Kate Middleton www.dreamroyalwedding.com

The fact this is a love story with two such contrasting people is the key. He is pretty suave, very business minded and she is a homely person, down to earth trying to make a living with her small business shop while the bigger business sharks are driving in closer including this man who is part of them. What he doesn't know is that he is going to fall her.

Long live true romance !!!

When love leans toward fable

Author: (albertoveronese) from Switzerland
28 November 2010

Nora Ephron crafted an intelligent and touching film. Her screenplay had it all, a very clever piece, with romance, comedy, little drama and suspense just enough to make it work – just enough – is very important when it comes to communicating to the audience and it takes a lot professionalism to make it look easy. This touching film delights in each and every frame because of the clever and well-balanced way it is casted and written. The story is told through the characters own words and their cunning dialogs which never become slaved to the plot; the quirky roles, the subtlety and downplayed humor, little bit harsh and dry sometime but definitely cherry of the supporting characters form the fertile ground that allows Annie and Sam's love to grow up and bloom over our wounds and dull existence. When love leans toward fable no matter who you are you become child again.

A Winner All The Way...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
10 November 2010

Nora Ephron's 'Sleepless In Seattle' is love-bag cinema. It has a Screenplay, which is emotionally charged, direction that is soft, and performances , that are truly memorable.

'Sleepless In Seattle' is a yet another super-hit love-story, between 2 diverse strangers. What is innovative and gentle in this 1993 flick, are it's characters. The Hero is widowed, has a kid. The Heroine doesn't love the person she supposed she would. The diverseness of the characters play as a trump card. Also, being a love-story, there's ought be some intimacy between the lovers, but over-here, as the screenplay demands, the Hero and Heroine don't meet each other till the climax.

Nora Ephron's Screenplay might be inspired by a Hollywood Classic, but comes across superbly. The dialogue and the characters are wonderfully thought and executed. Direction wise, she has excelled.

The wonderful characters are brought to life by super actors. Tom Hanks is lovable, as always. He plays his part with so much of ease. Meg Ryan is fantastic. There is not a single shot where she is off character. Ross Malinger is super-efficient. Bill Pullman is decent. Rosie O'Donnell is okay. Rita Wilson and Rob Reiner are effective.

On the whole, A Winner All The Way! Enjoyed It! Recommended!

A movie! That's your problem! You don't want to be in love. You want to be in love in a movie.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
23 September 2010

Sleepless in Seattle is written and directed by Nora Ephron. It's based on a story by Jeff Arch and it stars Tom Hanks as Sam Baldwin and Meg Ryan as Annie Reed. The film takes its inspiration from An Affair to Remember and uses both its theme song and clips from the film in critical scenes. Plot sees Sam recently widowed and tricked by his young son Jonah to chat on the phone about his grief on a late night radio show. His honesty and sadness touches the hearts of America's listening females, particularly Annie, a young journalist who lives the other side of the country in Baltimore.

Major smash hit at the box office, where it coined in a $200 million profit before it even made it out for rental, Sleepless In Seattle is the sort of romantic comedy that's almost impossible not to like. OK, there's those who probably have aversions to some of the stars in the piece (tho both Ryan & Hanks are adorable here), but as a story it's warm, sweet and very touching. Ephron's script throws up a number of funny treats along the way, including moments to make the boys smile, while the fact that the potential cross country lovers are kept apart for almost the entirety of the film is smart move that pays off dividends. Admirable support to Hanks & Ryan comes from Rosie O'Donnell & Rob Reiner as the best friends of both, while Ross Malinger as Jonah gives one of the more pleasing child performances from the 90s.

It doesn't push the boundaries of light entertainment, but really you would have to be devoid of heart to not feel just a bit better for having sat thru this movie. 7/10

One of the best romantic movies out there

Author: lostinshelf from Germany
4 September 2010

Let's face it: Guys usually don't like romantic movies. I'm one of them. Even if the movies have a lot of comedic moments they are often too cheesy and too predictable. But there are rare exceptions like "Lost in Translation" or "Definitely, Maybe". "Sleepless in Seattle" is definitely one of those. I can't exactly say what it is that makes this movie so special. Possibly the great cast with a very likable Tom Hanks and loevely Meg Ryan. Maybe the well told story about a guy who lost the love of his live and a women who's looking for this love. Maybe it's because the movie has one of the most beautiful ending scenes in recent film history. But what I can unquestionably say is that if you are in the mood for a romantic movie you should take "Sleepless in Seattle" into consideration.

Implausible but sugary sweet romantic classic - 79%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
14 August 2010

Given that huge success behind this film, I always wondered whether this was another movie like "Dirty Dancing" - flawed but impossible to resist for female viewers. And sure enough, I was right. The plot may be ridiculous and the surrounding cast may play second fiddle to the two leads but that doesn't stop this sickly sweet rom-com from feeling like a good, old-fashioned romantic chick-flick. But whereas recent dross like "27 Dresses" or "The Accidental Husband" struggle to overcome their plot holes (and boy, are there many!), "Sleepless In Seattle" feels much classier and you soon forget that what you're watching is complete nonsense.

A young-looking Tom Hanks plays Sam, a recently widowed architect who moves with his young son Jonah (Ross Malinger) to Seattle in a desperate bid to overcome his grief. After being duped by his son into talking on national radio about his feelings of despair, he strikes a chord into the hearts of many including Baltimore journalist Annie (Meg Ryan) who becomes obsessed with the caller dubbed "Sleepless In Seattle". Trouble is, she is engaged to marry the safe and dependable (read "boring") Walter (Bill Pullman). Are her doubts pre-wedding day jitters or a sign that maybe, her true-love lies further afield?

It's unusual these days to find a rom-com that actually is romantic or funny so "Sleepless In Seattle" is a pleasant surprise by being both. Yes, it's sad as well especially when Hanks goes on about how much he misses his wife. But Hanks also has fun in the role - his banter with Rob Reiner is good for a laugh, as is Ryan's interaction with Rosie O'Donnell and Pullman. And for anyone looking for an old-fashioned sob-fest then they won't be disappointed either as this film piles on the schmultz towards the end, presumably to make you forget how silly the story is. Trouble is, like all romantic films, it is deeply predictable despite the implausibility - "Notting Hill" was the same, offering nothing resembling a surprise or twist in any way, shape or form. But in truth, who cares when it is expertly performed, brilliantly scored and wonderfully presented schmultz?

"Sleepless In Seattle" isn't perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than a fistful of other rom-coms I could rattle off, including its spiritual sequel "You've Got Mail". In my experience, women want films that move them, that tug on the heart-strings and play havoc with your tear ducts. "Sleepless In Seattle" will do the trick all right but for me personally, I'd liked a bit more plausibility to make this tale of star-crossed lovers more enjoyable. People fall in and out of love everyday in normal circumstances so why does Hollywood feel the need to jazz up a good story even more? Maybe I'm being overly critical because this is a good film and any rom-com fan worthy of the title will watch it anyway. Let me put it this way: my wife went to sleep halfway through (she'd seen it before) but still wants the Blu-Ray for Christmas. Looks like I'm not done watching this just yet...

Baltimore And Seattle Connect

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
24 May 2010

Sleepless In Seattle is truly a film for the Nineties. It's a film that is in part based on the high tech culture that the Nineties spawned with computers and nationwide talk radio. How could have you done a film like this in another time?

Well romance is certainly eternal and if the way humans connect is different now, the point is they still connect. And this film takes up the proposition that some folks are fated to be mated.

If I had ever done this thing for either of my parents back in the day or something similar I shudder to think of the consequences. But when young Ross Malinger calls a radio psychologist played in voice only by Caroline Aaron about his father it sets off an entire chain of events that make you believe in fate.

Tom Hanks is the recently widowed father of Malinger they've just finished burying his wife Carey Lowell and he thinks a change of scenery is in order to assuage his grief. Hanks and Malinger move to Seattle and its from their new home in Seattle that young Master Malinger makes his fateful call. Hanks gets on the phone as well and his story touches female hearts across America and he's known by the moniker of Sleepless In Seattle.

One of those touched hearts is Meg Ryan's who is ready to marry Bill Pullman who is playing what used to be called the Ralph Bellamy role. Good old reliable steady Bill, but Meg is hearing a different calling and taking her cues from that Leo McCarey classic, An Affair To Remember she goes in a nationwide hunt for Hanks.

More cynical folks than myself would say that Ryan was stalking Hanks and there are laws against it. But if one is fated to be mated than those laws just don't apply.

Hanks and Ryan strike just the right note as the fated couple and Hanks has some great scenes with young Malenger. Rosie O'Donnell has a nice bit in this as well as Ryan's equally romantic minded friend who kind of quarterbacks Ryan's moves.

Sleepless In Seattle got two Oscar nominations for Best Original Screenplay and Best Song. Nora Ephron directed her own screenplay and the result is a magic romantic film like they used to do even in the high tech Nineties.

One of the favorite movie romances of all time, and for good reason

Author: Brian Wright from United States
12 November 2009

Reviewing such cultural icon as Sleepless in Seattle is always a challenge— though more of a challenge for (more) professional movie critics who often seem to go to lengths to prove they don't pander to popular opinion simply because it is so popular. And I certainly lack the technical grasp of the filmmaker's art that most critics will acquire in their formal education and journalistic experience these days. But that's all right, because I feel my blue collar in these matters puts me in the category of a longshoreman philosopher (ref. Eric Hoffer) or Gonzo journalist... someone who can provide a better view for being part of the scenery.

Looking at the IMDb page for Sleepless, I'm amazed that it's rated—by the general public—at only 6.6 out of 10! (To give you a comparison, the movie I reviewed last week, Last Chance Harvey, comes in at an even 7.0.)

...

For my complete review of this movie and for other movie and book reviews, please visit my site TheCoffeeCoaster.com.

Brian Wright Copyright 2009