IMDb > Sleepless in Seattle (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 22: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

I don't gush over it like many people do, but it's certainly charming

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
20 March 2014

Sam's wife Maggie passes away, forcing Sam Baldwin and his son to move to Seattle. Because of Sam's elongated depression, and inability to socialize, Jonah calls in on a radio show, hoping to get a wife for his father. Sam is rather displeased with Jonah, but goes along with it. Meanwhile, Annie Reed is stuck in a stagnant engagement with fiancé, Walter (Bill Pullman) Annie listens to Sam's heartfelt speech about his deceased wife, causing Annie to get rather infatuated with Sam. She writes Sam a letter, suggesting they meet on the Empire State Building. Sam likes the sound of Annie, but he has to stop his dad from making a big mistake with another woman.

I'm a big fan of romantic comedies, but I never understood the hype from this movie. Yes, its charming. Yes, it's cute, but people act like it's one of the all time greats. I don't think it's anywhere near deserving of that type of praise. I've never seen "An Affair to Remember", but this type of stuff doesn't happen in real life. Your suspension of disbelief is a must with this one. If you can get into the outrageous plot, you'll more than likely find a decent amount to like about this one. It milks everything it can out of the unbelievable plot with two of the greatest movie stars in the history of cinema. Unlike You've Got Mail, this movie features wonderful performances. Tom Hanks is at his charming best, showing all the right emotions. Meg Ryan is the queen of romantic comedies, and there is a reason for it. Even watching her sing Jingle Bells manages to make me smile. I had a crush on Meg Ryan, who didn't at one juncture? Her character is sassy and enjoyable in this one. Ross Malinger is solid as the kid. He had some great gag scenes, holding his own against some amazing actors as well. Bill Pullman is OK as Ryan's fiancé, but a tad too dry and dull for my liking. I hate it when non-actors get a huge supporting role in a movie, especially someone I detest like Rosie O'Donnell. Surprisingly enough, she was tolerable here, and dare I say, enjoyable at times? The ending always makes me smile. I like how they ended things with a bang, yet subtly as well. It was a nice touch

They tried to produce the same formula in You've Got Mail, only it failed miserably. This film is imperfect itself, overrated as well. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, because I do. i just don't go crazy over it like many do.

6.8/10

Iconic rom-com

Author: SnoopyStyle
8 November 2013

Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) is heart broken after the death of his wife. So he decides to move with his son Jonah away from Chicago where he is reminded of her everywhere. Annie Reed (Meg Ryan) is engaged to marry meek Walter (Bill Pullman). One faithful night, Jonah calls into a radio talk show to find a new wife for his dad Sam. Annie is listening and falls in love with the magic.

This is in the tradition of great Hollywood rom-coms. The constant referencing to 'An Affair to Remember' only adds to the feeling that this is made by people who watched and loved old rom-coms. That is the intention of Nora Ephron. Her love of those movies really shines through with all the discussion of romance. Tom Hanks and Victor Garber have the hilarious fun scene ridiculing it. And it had the audacity of minimizing the interaction between the leads. Ross Malinger is great as the inquisitive young son, and Rosie O'Donnell puts in yet another brash BFF performance.

" Magic " or Mayhem ??

Author: alxx0209 from United States
3 September 2013

a Tom Hanks movie ? I am a huge Hanks fan he has such a passion and commitment to every single movie he does. I have loved all of his movies that i have seen him in so far. and do I like him in this film?

Well I suppose - This movie is about love and all its complications dealing with Sam / Annie and Jonah. The Three of them are trying to find " magic " in a relationship - I personally have not yet felt "magic" in a relationship - I have not even dated at all so I do not relate to " magic " but I can somehow imagine the delightful feeling in ones heart when you see the difference in Annie as the movie goes on and she learns what magic feels like.

The movie seemed just a little slow in the beginning in my opinion but after a bit it has a certain pace to it that is enjoying. The movie reminds me of a few other films yet Hanks and Ryan are charming and The Kid also helps out the movie go forward / I also believe that Hanks other films success kind of help / Hurt this one in away - I mean Im not comparing it to his other roles but this one seems specifically about love - and I would say its like 70 % romantic and 30 % comedy but again I liked the movie for what it set up and Tom / Meg and the kid did a good job in this film - also a little note I feel that Rob Reiner and Rosie O' Donnell were just alright in there supporting roles but in my opinion they would be under minor roles for this movie.

I have to mention a scene that I liked was Annie watching Sam and Jonah goofing around on the beach - thats were it seemed to click for Annie to realize she was in love with both them from just watching them goof around - being themselves , I believe from then on she felt deep down " magic" for Sam and even in away Jonah. That moment was something I would call a " spark " were it just was beautiful for what it was. That moment you could tell what her heart said to her.

Final thoughts ? well Toms Hanks did an amazing job plays such likable and relatable characters ( including this one ) Meg did a decent job -Pullman who played Walter did alright the role kinda fell short - Like your about to marry her and you let her walk away ? He could have developed more. Also i would say like 2 or 3 slow bits that could have been tweaked. Other then that its a cute movie about love and Magic. Its worth watching once in your life.

Hanks and Ryan Should Make More Movies!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
12 July 2013

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan should make more movies. As really this is one of a kind and sweet movie. Hanks character Sam loses his wife to cancer and his son Josh, wants Sam to be happy despite not wanting to ever date again.

That is why they move from Chicago to Seattle to escape the sadness. But via a radio talk show station. Josh talks to the host as the USA in particular the women fall in love with Sam and his story despite never seeing him or knowing him that well.

This also really strikes a nerve in Baltimore radio newspaper writer, Annie played by Ryan. As she wants to get to know this Sam despite being engaged to a straight laced Bill Pullman.

A sweet and kind movie. As makes you want to really wished that both Hanks and Ryan made more movies. As Ryan has felled out with the public lately. But still a really sweet movie!

Such wonderful comedy/romance movies are rare anymore

Author: (daviddaphneredding@att.net) from United States
11 December 2012

This very entertaining movie is a present-day rarity, for seldom if ever do you find movies concerning a story where a strong void is filled in a person's life, and concomitantly you don't find far-fetched ways to do it. First of all, Sam Baldwin has just lost his wife in Chicago, and the depressed man wants to get away from it all and move to Seattle where he is definitely sleepless because of his recent loss, naturally. At the same time, his eight-year-old son Jonah wants a new mother. Meanwhile, in Baltimore the very attractive Annie Reed, after a dinner at her parent's home where she introduces her future husband to her family, is driving away when she listens to a talk-show hosted by Dr. Marcia Fieldstone who talks to Sam, whom she calls "Sleepless in Seattle". While listening to his voice Annie suddenly becomes taken with him, and then pursues him, thanks very much to the Internet. This is when the "fun" begins. She "seeks advice" from the classic Cary Grant-Deborah Kerr movie "An Affair to Remember", which she watches on t.v. very often. The story does have a warm and happy ending. The story has different settings-Chicago, New York, Baltimore, as well as Seattle. The very versatile Tom Hanks does his turn well, and the unusually appealing Meg Ryan captivated my attention in her role as Annie Reed. Ross Mallinger does acting well for a very young boy. Rosie O'Donnell is her nutty self as Annie's very close friend. Nora Ephron did a good job of writing and directing. Again, I wish they would make comedy/romances like this more often.

One of the Best Recent Romantic Films!

Author: babyfir77 from United States
25 September 2011

Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are wonderful and extremely likable in this romantic comedy. I get a kick out of the fact the movie takes place in four major U.S. cities - Chicago, Baltimore, Seattle and New York City. The chemistry between Meg Ryan and gal pal Rosie O'Donnell is there....as is the one between Hanks and son Ross Malinger.

Rita Wilson was a delight to see and Bill Pullman did his typical nice guy role. It all works.

That is due to a creative and caring script, and wonderful direction by Nora Ephron.

Definitely a part of Tom Hanks' awesome 1990's ride of spectacular films (Bonfire of the Vanities does not count!!!!).

a lovely sweet enchanting rom com.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
24 August 2011

Sleepless in Seattle, the sophomore directorial effort from Nora Ephron, is a light romantic comedy inspired by the 1957 film An Affair to Remember. Tom Hanks stars as widower and single father Sam. When Sam's son, Jonah (Ross Malinger), calls into a talk radio program looking for a new mother, Sam ends up getting on the phone and laments about his lost love. Thousands of miles away, Annie (Meg Ryan) hears the program and immediately falls in love with Sam, despite the fact that she has never met him and that she is engaged to humdrum Walter (Bill Pullman). Believing they are meant to be together, Annie sets out for Seattle to meet Sam, who, meanwhile, contends with an onslaught of letters from available women equally touched by his phone call. Rosie O'Donnell, Rita Wilson, and Rob Reiner also star.

Starring Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Bill Pullman, Ross Malinger, Rosie O'Donnell , Gaby Hoffmann , Victor Garber , Rita Wilson and others.

Directed by Nora Ephron, director of You've Got Mail and Julie & Julia and a screen writer of many more famous movies.

Nominated for 2 Oscars, Best Original Song and Best Original Screenplay.

OK so this movie is inspired somewhat by An Affair To Remember, it uses some scenes and music of it throughout. i wanna see that movie so bad.

a box office hit and a loved romantic comedy it is. i have seen it a few times and i recently saw it again on TV so thought of giving a review which surprisingly i haven't. i think of Nora Ephron as a Screenplay writer than a director. though she did an okay job as a director but the power of this movie is in the writing which was fabulous. two thumbs up for that. good music and i loved cinematography along with art direction.

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan looks really good together. i love both of them. Tom hanks and Meg Ryan did a nice job. Meg was so funny in it, she was the best thing about this movie i mean you just love her and laugh at her so much. Ross Malinger the child was so good. and so were the other actors.

i can just watch this movie over and over it is so good. you fall in love with it. it is very sweet and quite rare. one of the best rom com or chick flick out there. quite feel good and enchanting. the whole effect of this movie just so good i can't describe in words. its purely enchanting experience for me to watch it again and again. romantic and very funny you love it. give it a try.

OK so Sam loses his wife and his son misses her a lot. they come to Seattle for a new life but things are all the same. the son calls a radio show and tells them his father needs a new wife, he persuades his father to come on air and talk about it. women all over listen to him and are touched by his story and one of them is Annie who though is already engaged but feels something is missing. she after watching movie An Affair To Remember writes a letter to him and tells him to meet her at the Empire State building on Valentines day. and many other sweet and lovely things happen you should see yourself. i loved the ending its not very clichéd or very over the top. its so simple and lovely. to wondering souls meet in a way that is pure.

Better Than I Thought!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
24 June 2011

To get things straight, I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies. I won't even watch them unless they feature Adam Sandler. I just can't stand these kind of movies. But one day I was forced to watch this and I was pleasantly surprised. Even though this has the typical aspects of a romance movie, I still enjoyed it from beginning to end.

This is about a grieving husband who just lost his wife. With the help of his son, he goes on radio to tell his story. There are many women who fall in love with him because of that story including this one girl from Baltimore who wants to meet him.

Tom Hanks is another reason why I watched this. He is a fantastic actor and shows it here. I thought Meg Ryan was so-so. I really didn't care for her character.

Overall, this is a decent movie even by my standards. If you avoid romantic comedies like me, maybe you can still check this out. I rate this film 7/10.

A different love story

Author: neenahhh
19 February 2011

'When Harry Met Sally' is on the top of my romantic comedies, so I was really excited when I saw that this movie was produced by the same people who made my favorite rom-com of all time! I've heard about this movie ever since I was a young girl. I thought it was about two people staying up all night, talking and doing what-not in Seattle, hence the title. Boy, was I wrong.

This was a cute romantic movie. It's not like your typical, LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, bam!-kinda movies. (SPOILERS) In fact, the main characters don't even officially meet throughout most of the movie's duration! (/SPOILERS) I guess that was the theme of the movie. It shows how love is blind.

(SPOILERS) One thing I didn't like was how Annie dropped a stable relationship to risk having a relationship with someone she didn't even know. (/SPOILERS) That's my only complaint. I myself like security and stability, so that part didn't really jive with me.

Jonah's a cute kid, really caring about his father's happiness. Sam and Jonah's relationship is an example of a great father-son relationship that we don't get to see on screen too often. They're both very open and very warm with each other. It was very nice to watch.

If you liked 'When Harry Met Sally', be sure to watch this. They're somewhat on the same level even though, I personally liked the first one better.

Walter's reaction?

Author: csimpkins53 from United States
5 January 2011

First of all, I think this is basically a "chick" flick, but so what? I like it anyway. Now to my point. Walter seemed very nonchalant in receiving the news from Annie that she was leaving him for another guy. His calm, cool reaction doesn't seem very true to life from a guy who finds out his fiancé is leaving him. If I were in Walter's situation I would be devastated. I know this because I lost four fiancés to other guys. Each time I felt as if the girl had thrust her hand into my chest, ripped out my heart and threw it away! I wasn't angry with them but I was very hurt. As a result I have never married. Walter's reaction is much too calm.