IMDb > Sleepless in Seattle (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 23: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A typical women-romance movie. And I love it.

Author: mashadsk from Kharkov, Ukraine
4 March 2003

Yes, just like another one Meg Ryan's comedy - sweet, funny, and just gorgeous:). A typical women's movie. With tears, laughs and that men's ironical attitude to "Oh, I just LOVE that movie"s and signs! All characters are greatly depicted by Meg Ryan (as always), Tom Hanks (again as always;)) Rosie O'Donnell and other actors. A must see thing! Really lovely, and when I rewatched it today I cried, like Annie and Becky while watching that romance with Carie Grant;)

M.F.E.O. (made for each other)

Author: elmochook
3 October 2002

Once in awhile a funny, romantic and sweet story comes along to make you laugh and cry. This is one of them. Movies in this genre are getting more rare. The only other ones in this class are An Affair to Remember and While You Were Sleeping. Please rent this one out if you haven't seen it. I am sure you'll have no regrets. Definately on my all time favourite lists.

It breaks the rules.

Author: Tom DeFelice from Leominster Mass USA
20 July 2002

This romantic comedy breaks some rules and gets away with it. The two leads only talk to each other at the end of the film (and they never kiss or touch). An engaged woman, she's stalking a stranger she's heard on the radio. He's is so obsessed with his dead wife that he can hardly function. But the two stars have such charm that they pull it off.

A true romance

Author: Elizabeth (endofroad2@aol.com) from NY
15 November 2000

I love this movie! Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are absolutely charming together.

They are both very talented people, and they create fantastic screen magic! This is a film for not only every hopeless romantic, but also anyone who wants to see a great film. It tugs at your heart-strings and brings tears to your eyes every time. I give it a 9 out of 10!!

something wonderful about life

Author: Ashlevine from New York
19 August 2004

There is something very warm, wonderful and cozy about life when you cuddle in bed some winter's night and watch this great film. It tastes better than a good nite kiss. It will leave feeling high and in great desire to fall in love. The style of the film seemed like a soft, easy listening to music while reading a wonderful book. The cast were ideal. Meg Ryan looks best in this film. Wholesome looks fits her perfectly. Tom Hanks created a fantastic reality through his downplay. Simplicity was the key that made this film very appealing. See it for the fun, stay for love.

Sleeping in My Apartment

Author: (missygoldstein@aol.com) from New York, NY
9 December 2003

SPOILERS

This movie came out 10 years ago and I had no desire to see it in the theater. When it came to video I was sorta tempted after hearing such good things, but still neglected it on the shelf. Then it finally made it's way to TBS and after cancelling my cable to save money I had absolutely nothing to do last week and decided to watch.This movie wasn't horrible. It wasn't anything great either. If it wasn't the adorable Tom Hanks and cute as a button Meg Ryan this movie wouldn't have been so successful. So much for star power. I found the story boring and pointless. The little boy wants to find a new wife for his dad. Sweet, I guess, but pretty silly. He is captivated by one letter that makes him decide that she is "the one". Meanwhile Meg Ryan (annie) is engaged to someone who apparently does not feel has "magic" in their relationship so she's having cold feet. She along with 2000 other women who heard Tom Hanks charactor on a call in radio talk show, ala frasier and now thinks that HE is "the one" for her. Despite logic, reason, or plausability you KNOW what is going to happen. I mean it's a love story for crying out loud so I suppose it's not really THAT cliche, but puullleeeezzzz. Meeting at the top of the Empire State Building when the building just happens to have a Heart on it (Oh, yeah, it was valentines day). Can you gag? The best part of this movie was Jonah's little friend Jessica, who had all the answers, enough to get them together, book him an airline flight and give cute little anagrams. She was funny and interesting. As for the rest of the characters in this movie I found them dull and extremely uninteresting. I really couldn't care less if they got together or not. There was nothing wrong with the acting, and all in all it wasn't the worst way to spend 2 hours, but I remember 10 years ago when this movie was in the theaters and people made such a big deal about it. Having finally watching it from beginning to end without falling asleep I really can't understand why.

A movie by numbers

Author: jeleach (jeleach@cheshire.net) from Charlestown, NH
19 October 2002

It's not just that I disliked this movie......it's that I disapprove of the technique used to carve this particular bird. I love romance movies and also romantic comedies. I have a problem with the sensibilities of Nora Ephron. This woman can really write dialog exactly as people DON'T talk. If I have to see one more 8 year old that talks like Woody Allen, I think I'll croke. This is a very conventional story written with every conceivable overused, worn out, tired plot devise that you never want to see again in your lifetime. The fact that this movie was and is a success.....I believe rests on the performances of the lead actors: Hanks and Meg Ryan. She is fetching and he is......well, Tom Hanks. If you are tempted to watch this movie, try "Tender Mercies", "Paris, Texas", or the original "Affair to Remember". Pass this one by. Sorry to the scads of people who think this is good cinema.

An affair to forget

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
27 August 2012

Well, today was a bank holiday and it was pouring rain outside so my wife and I thought we'd watch a family-oriented romantic-comedy, giving "Sleepless In Seattle" the nod. It's fair to say my wife liked it more than I did.

For me it wasn't really very funny and worse, was guilty of over-sentimentality and coincidence. Nothing against Meg Ryan, but she hasn't got the kind of face that would stop you in your tracks the way she does at the airport with Tom Hanks' character's first view of her. Moreover her ditzy character doesn't seem too different (sans hysterical laugh) from the girl his son is so against him hooking up with.

Oh yes, about the son, aged eight going on eighteen, going out with a fellow eight-year-old girl, quoting from Beatles' songs, having adult conversations with his dad and flying to New York on his own. As he would! Of course his toothy grin and mop of hair sweep aside any charges of embarrassing cringeworthiness, or at least that's what the director would have you think.

I found the writing clichéd and gauche (a woman character cries when recounting the story of the "An Affair To Remember", Cary Grant / Deborah Kerr vehicle which informs much of the plot here; like when was the last time you cried explaining a movie plot), the thirty-something characters are cardboard-thin and irritating plus it seemed there had to be some old romantic song playing in the background of almost every scene.

I couldn't get excited by the acting either, there being no chance for Hanks and Ryan to gell as they don't actually get together until their anti-climactic meeting atop the Empire State Building. Bill Paxton gets underused as Ryan's hypochondriac fiancé while Rosie O'Donnell irritates as her overly understanding boss. I have to admit I can't stand these male-female "buddy" relationships as demonstrated here by Hanks and Rob Reiner and Ryan and O'Donnell, they play out so artificially.

Just about the only good for thing me about this film is that I'll probably seek out the earlier film, confident that it will eclipse this very slack and shallow 1980's production which it regrettably inspired.

Subpar Performances

Author: samzhang from San Francisco
3 September 2004

This is one fine example of how the actors can be essentially disconnected from the roles that they play. As the movie unfolds it became increasing obvious that the actors do not actually believe in their roles. Surprisingly, even a fine actor like Tom Hanks does such a subpar performance. Could this be the same Tom Hanks that won two consecutive Oscars in the following two years? Many critics praise the film for its "warm atmosphere". Could the mediocre performances of the actors have contributed to this "warmth"? When all logics and intelligence fail to work, producers of this movie decided to put in half a dozen of beautiful scenes. We see fireworks, we see view of the city Chicago, and we see this lovely sight of the State Empire building with a red love star... How many souls could these scenes truly stir? Well we can be sure that none of the souls of our fellow actors of this movie were.

a fake love story

Author: abe-27 from Providence, RI
20 October 2002

Every character in this self-proclaimed love story is so fake that I do not think any non-adolescent over 14 would believe it. I have always felt both Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are over-rated actors and this movie is a living proof of that. Throughout the movie, I felt sorry for Bill Pullman who seemed to have taken his role somewhat seriously.

The idea that two very good-looking adults falling in love according to a plot from an older movie is absurd. What is more ridiculous is that the wisdom emanates from an 8 year old who can recite long sentences without rehearsal! If that's not enough, working people with middle class life styles, seem to be doing nothing but to worry about their love life at work. I am so glad I saw this movie on TV so I would not have to go and ask for my money back.