IMDb > Sleepless in Seattle (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Sleepless in Philidelphia

Author: Atomic_Peace from United States
27 June 2012

Okay so a few months back I was hanging out in my bedroom surfing my Netflix app on my Wii, I was waiting for this show to come on and I had an hour to kill, so I see Sleepless in Seatle in the romance section listed. I usually don't watch romances, but with Tom Hanks in it I made an exception. I LOVED THIS MOVIE! The movie is about recently widower Sam and his son Jonha. Sam is extremely down because of his wife's demise, and his son fells horrible for him. Christmas Eve comes and Sam, is still down. So Jonha decides to call one of those call-in-radio shows to help his dad out. Meanwhile, Annie Reed is driving on a highway listening to show, when Sam begins to tell his story Annie starts crying historically and instantly falls in love with him. The whole movie shows both of them on their own quest, Sam to find a new soul-mate, and Annie to find Sam. This is one of those movie anyone can watch and automatically fall in love with! With movies like these you will always know there is someone for everyone, and the worst of things can be for the better! I give this movie a 10 for its excellence in story, character development, and dialog.

Irresistible Charm of Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks

Author: manojharisree from Bangalore, India
15 January 2012

Awwww.....what a romantic comedy! Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are one of the most endearing cinematic pairs in Hollywood, Their chemistry is adorable.

In this movie too, the bubbly Meg as Annie Reed and the simple, funny Hanks as Sam Baldwin win the heart of the audience.

Another great aspect of the movie is the humor especially among the major characters. At one moment, you'd be teary-eyed with the sensitivity in some of the scenes while other times you'll be reeling in laughter. It's spontaneous fun at it's best! The direction & music are also well executed.

I think Meg Ryan at the time was a bit raw to handle some of the complex emotional scenes. Nevertheless she was cute and warmed our hearts :)

Also not all the scenes are impressively crafted(camera work or the lighting maybe) but you don't really mind as you're busy enjoying the breeze of love and light-heartedness.

Verdict: One of the most uplifting, romantic Hollywood movies made. Sigh.

Contrived But Charming And Satisfying

Author: Intern2014 from United States
29 December 2011

Sleepless in Seattle, the sophomore directorial effort from Nora Ephron, is a light romantic comedy inspired by the 1957 film An Affair to Remember as it used both its theme song and clips from the film in critical scenes. The climactic meeting at the top of the Empire State Building is a reference to a reunion between Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in An Affair to Remember that fails to happen because the Kerr character is struck by a car while en route.

The film is a romantic comedy film directed and co-written by Nora Ephron. Based on a story by Jeff Arch, it stars Tom Hanks as Sam Baldwin and Meg Ryan as Annie Reed together with Bill Pullman,Ross Malinger,Rosie O'Donnell,Rob Reiner and David Hyde Pierce.

Sam Baldwin, a Chicago architect, loses his wife to cancer. He and his young son Jonah start new lives in Seattle, but Sam still grieves. 18 months later, on Christmas Eve 1992, Jonah—who wants his father to find a new wife—calls into a talk radio show. Jonah persuades Sam to go on the air to talk about how much he misses his wife. Hundreds of women from around the country hear the program, and touched by the story, write to Sam.

One of the listeners is Annie Reed, a Baltimore Sun reporter. She is engaged to a sweet, awkward man named Walter but feels there is something missing from their relationship. After watching the film An Affair to Remember, Annie impulsively writes a letter suggesting that Sam meet her on top of the Empire State Building on Valentine's Day. She does not intend to mail it, but her friend and editor Becky does it for her and agrees to send Annie to Seattle to "look into doing a story on those radio shows."Sam begins dating a coworker, Victoria, whom Jonah dislikes. Jonah, a baseball fan, reads Annie's letter and likes that it mentions the Baltimore Orioles but fails to convince his father to go to New York to meet Annie. On the advice of his friend Jessica, Jonah replies to Annie agreeing to the New York meeting.

While dropping Victoria off at the airport for a flight, Sam sees Annie exiting from her plane and is taken by her, although he has no idea who she is. Annie watches Sam and Jonah playing on the beach together but mistakes Sam's sister Suzy for his girlfriend. He recognizes her from the airport and says "Hello", but Annie can only respond with another "hello" before fleeing. She decides she is being foolish and goes to New York to meet Walter for Valentine's Day.With Jessica's help, Jonah flies to New York without his father's permission. Sam, distraught, follows Jonah and finds him on the observation deck of the Empire State Building. Annie sees the skyscraper from the Rainbow Room, where she is dining with Walter, and confesses her doubts to him. They amicably end their engagement. Jonah and Sam get on the down elevator just before Annie reaches the observation deck. She finds Jonah's backpack. Jonah and Sam return for the backpack and meet Annie. They leave, Sam and Annie walking off hand in hand.

It was obviously contrived and the plot devices were used to manipulate the story but it was a romantic weeper.The team effort of Tom Hanks,Meg Ryan and Nora Ephron made a real effort to make the story work.Also,with two of the most likable stars casted,it was worth the view as they made it possible to be both satisfying and entertaining.

Unshamedly manipulative, and somewhat old-fashioned, but a charming romantic comedy

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
30 May 2010

Sleepless in Seattle is manipulative and unashamedly so. The fact that it is somewhat old-fashioned is not a bad thing at all, in fact it is done wonderfully. In general, Sleepless in Seattle is just a charming romantic comedy, co-scripted and directed by When Harry Met Sally writer Nora Ephron.

The idea to keep Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan apart for most of the movie is a dangerous one, but guess what, I found that it worked! Strictly speaking, Sleeping in Seattle is made up of two story lines, one is about a recently widowed man who moves to Seattle and does nothing but grieve. The other is features a woman journalist from Baltimore, who overhears the broadcast with Hanks's son pouring his heart out about his concerns for dad and decides to track him down.

The scenery is striking, the soundtrack is very welcoming, the direction is solid and the script has heart and wit. In terms of acting, both Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan give marvellous lead performances, while Ross Malinger is a nice surprise as Hanks's son. The climax at the top of the Empire State Building takes its inspiration from the 1950s weepie An Affair to Remember(with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr), and is very effective.

Overall, a charming and enjoyable film. Hanks, Ryan and Ephron teamed up again for You've Got Mail, which is inferior but still worthwhile. 8/10 Bethany Cox

A widower's son puts his dad information on the radio hoping to find him a new wife.

Author: north_carolina_girl_1234 from United States
21 August 2006

This was a beautiful story of two strangers who fell in love. I could watch this movie again and again and again and never get tired of it. You could really feel the love shared between the two strangers when they fall in love. There is something about this movie that you just gotta love. I enjoyed watching this movie and believe that it is one of Tom Hanks best movies ever. Meg Ryan is generally not one of my favorite actresses but she was great doing this role I thought it was wonderful. The movie was well written ,well acted, and well presented. The idea was great. The movie was great and I think it should be mandatory that you watch this movie.

Romantic

Author: comediclead from United States
26 January 2006

I have this movie on video and I watch it all the time. I've probably seen it over 100 times. It's the most romantic movie out there. Meg Ryan is so beautiful. It's also perfect for Valentines Day, too. It's cool how Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) and Annie Reid (Meg Ryan) were pen pals who finally meet for the first time. And how he's in Seattle and she's on the whole other side of the country in Baltimore. This is the best romantic movie ever. For all you couples out there Sleepless In Seattle is the most perfect movie for you. Nora Ephron is such a good director, too. I love some of her movies. It would be so cool to see if there will ever be a Sleepless In Seattle 2 soon, LOL.

Charming comedy

Author: michellemurmurs6244 from United States
15 August 2005

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan make a great team. Even when they don't spend that much screen time together. In this story that often references An Affair To Remember, Tom Hanks is recently widowed father with an intrepid 7 year-old son and Meg Ryan is engaged to devoted but bland Bill Pullman. Meg hears Tom on a radio talk show one night and is so touched by his recollections about his late wife she can't get him off her mind. On impulse she writes to him but then changes her mind and tosses the letter. Her best friend played by Rosie O'Donnell decides to mail the letter anyway. When Tom's son wants to go to New York To meet the woman who wrote the letter Tom resists. But fate intervenes. Perfect for helpless romantics.

Great movie for the 'hopelessly in love...'

Author: thomas-529 from Eindhoven, the Netherlands
31 July 2005

Sleepless In Seattle is all about magic. And THAT makes this movie magical. With Tom Hanks as 'Sam' and Meg Ryan as 'Annie' in the leading roles; you couldn't think of a better combination. There is a chemistry between them, which is very rare in Hollywood movies. Even though they hardly have any scenes which are with the two of them.

It's just something about 'Sleepless In Seattle' that separates it from the rest. It's the kind of movie you watch on a cold winter night, cozy on the couch, with your whole family, while drinking some hot chocolate.

Sure, the story line is a little surreal. But that doesn't make the movie any less, in fact, it just makes the movie even better. Because love is surreal in a way.

'Sleepless...' is an absolute recommend for the hopelessly in love, and is without a doubt one of the best Hollywood movies in his genre. But, if you don't like romantic movies... You wouldn't like this one too.

A Tear-Jerker even MEN may cry over!(may contain some spoilers)

Author: JACK SOUTH (JSouth1) from cincinnati ohio, u.s.a.
2 January 2005

OK-- It has been mentioned, that what Meg Ryan did in this film amounts to stalking. Probably.(Though REAL stalking usually involves harmful intent, and none was intended here). That she used bill Pullman. Well, at LEAST she was honest with him, when she went to meet Tom Hanks near the end. She did NOT leave him hanging, as many Women (or men, if the situation were reversed) would do, without worrying about the pain they had caused the other person.

But hey, if she did not really love Bill Pullman, why should she have just "settled" for him? If hearing of Tom hanks situation gave her second thoughts on Marrying Pullman, she shouldn't have gone through with the marriage. After all, ENGAGEMENTS are supposed to be a time to decide if this is the person you want for the rest of your life.

Having said that, let's not forget that this just a movie. As such, it is a GOOD one, that tugs at the heartstrings, and is just one of those movies that will make a person fell warm inside, especially at the end.

Plus, you do NOT have to be a woman to be touched by this movie. As a 37 year old single male, I am touched whenever I see this movie, and I saw it when it was new. I do not really consider this to be a "chick flick", and do not get emotional at a lot of such movies. For example I saw "Titanic", at the end of '97, on it's first run. I went with my sister and cousin. BOTH of them cried hard near, and at, the end, and one woman behind us was crying uncontrollably. NOT ME. After all, EVERYONE knows what happened to the Titanic, so the ending was NOT a surprise to me. I did not feel much emotion , and was laughing, from the outburst by the woman behind us, as we were leaving.

Not so with this movie. I know the ending by heart by now, having seen it many times, but it is STILL touching to me.

****out of *****

something about ''sleepless in seattle'' its my homework

Author: wangyiqing wangyiqing (wangyiqing555) from China liuzhou
27 December 2004

This film show us a magical love story ,I never seen so magical love story ,but it is important that the film is bold innovation .this love is defferent others love which in others love film it is not ordinary love ,not great love,it's between ordinary and great ,I don't know how to call it,it is so special love,make people crazy,nervous and stimulus....the feeling that I never met of before.It is caused by the boy ,I can't believe that ,in china ,most of the children wouldn't hope to see that their father marriage to others woman again if their family was break , because they has strong xenophobia and is afraid of their abandon them because the new mother.But John is not ,instead of he help his father to meet Anie ,all story is caused by him,he is a lovely and sensible child. ''you can't only live for yourself but also for others '' this point is press in my brain deeply . understand is very important to everyone.