IMDb > Sleepless in Seattle (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 23: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Very watchable 90's Romcom classic. ***1/2 out of *****

Author: Celticnationalist from Wales
22 October 2009

As a guy, I'm not what you might call a HUGE fan of romantic comedies and tend to avoid them like the plague, Sleepless in Seattle happens to be one of that rare breed of Romcom that I really enjoyed watching, and that even rarer breed of Romcom that I actually own on DVD.

What makes Sleepless so different to the rest? well the great performances by Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan for one and the very well-written and sweet screenplay by Ephron,Ward & Arch for two which has just about the right touch of comedy and doesn't overload the schmaltz to an unbearable (for a guy) degree and which also makes every character likable and makes you really root for them, even though you know it'll all end happily ever after.

***1/2 out of *****

Destined to be a Classic

Author: Gavin59 from United States
1 October 2009

I love this movie! This is the kind of movie that gets better with every viewing. It is a sweet romantic comedy based on the idea of whether or not we get a second chance at a great love. Tom Hanks becomes a single parent, after losing his wife to cancer. Meg Ryan finds herself in a relationship that is safe with no surprises & boring. Her fiancée is a nice guy, but she settles for someone that is reliable & constant & predictable, but longs to find the kind of love we all want: to be in love like in the movies. Rosie O'Donnell has a fine turn as Meg Ryan's boss & friend. Rob Reiner, Rita Wilson,& Victor Garber add some fun & humour in their supporting roles. The music in the film is wonderful & sets the mood as the story goes along. If you have seen An Affair to Remember, you will appreciate this film all the more. I find myself still quoting some of the great lines & each time I watch this movie, I feel like I am visitng an old friend. Hope you feel the same way.

Not bad, but not great

Author: kyle-cruse from California
9 December 2008

Good romantic comedies are very hard to find. "Sleepless in Seattle" was engaging and mildly funny, and it achieved what I like all romance comedies to do: make me wish the two main characters could be together. In this film, Tom Hanks and his son are mourning the death of his wife, and his son calls in on a radio show to find a new wife for his dad. Meg Ryan is listening from far away and starts falling in love with this man who she has never seen. It's a bit far-fetched, but we must remember that it is just a movie or we will never enjoy it. "Sleepless" had tons of potential, right up to the end, but did not prove itself to be a great romantic comedy. Tom Hanks' son is too much of a brat to be a lovable character, which takes away from some of the film's enjoyment. Also, without giving away the ending, it doesn't prove to be romantic enough. I was expecting the end to be more touching and satisfying instead of just suddenly ending on the spot like it does. The film is not necessarily all it's hyped up to be. Nevertheless, I won't complain too much. It's enjoyable and will entertain you for the evening. It also has a great soundtrack with singers like Jimmy Durante, Carly Simon, and Harry Connick Jr. I prefer "You've Got Mail," also starring Hanks and Ryan, over this film because it's funnier and more romantic, but this is worth seeing. Just don't expect it to be the best romantic comedy you've seen.

*** out of ****

Two people discover they are meant to be together

Author: Maddyclassicfilms from United Kingdom
20 November 2008

Sleepless in Seattle is directed by Nora Ephron and stars Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Rosie O'Donnell, Ross Malinger and Victor Garber Sam(Tom Hanks)is a widower who lives in Seattle with his young son Jonah(Ross Malinger). Jonah thinks his dad needs a new wife.

On Christmas Eve he calls a radio station agony aunt.He goes on air live and talks about how sad his dad is and then Sam gets dragged on the phone, before he knows it he is telling her how much he misses his wife and his words are heard across America.

One of thousands of women who hear it is Annie Reed(Meg Ryan)who is engaged to Walter(Bill Pullman).Annie is so moved by the broadcast she sets out to find Sam. We soon realise that these two are meant to be together but will they be able to meet one another? Touching and funny with a great soundtrack and great locations including New York's Empire State Building, this is well worth watching.

Although this is first and foremost a romance the film features a beautiful father and son relationship, Sam has had to become the only parent and his sons happiness is his primary concern.

Charming,witty and romantic with fine performances from Tom, Ross, Meg, Victor and Rosie, Sleepless in Seattle is a must for the romantic in all of us.

Lovely romcom

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
29 October 2008

A funny, cuddly romantic comedy with a sequence at the top of the Empire State building that can reasonably lay claim to modern classic status. It's also a rather peculiar film - I found it something of a digest of the sorts of situations one finds in the genre.

Tom Hanks jokes to forget the mother of his son - Meg Ryan is charming in her engagement to Bill Pullman (playing the soon-to-be cuckolded with grace) but distracted. Cupid is a butter-wouldn't-melt but irritatingly precocious 8 year old Jonah played competently by Ross Malinger. No-one is dangerous or offensive; it's very clean. The drama comes from the flirting on the precipice of possibility that Hanks and Ryan might never meet. There's nothing wrong with that. 7/10

Unrealistic but enjoyable romantic drama

Author: Stampsfightclub from United Kingdom
28 August 2008

Tom Hanks (Big) stars as Sam, a single parent. A year after losing his wife, he is struggling with the loss and to help him, his son Jonah phones a radio station to ask for advice, and Annie from Baltimore hears and knows she must meet up with Sam.

Filled with plenty of romantic conventions, Nora Ephron's 1993 romantic drama creates a light hearted feel good film, with funny and dramatic moments for viewers of all ages.

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan (When Harry met Sally), in their first collaboration, are perfect in their respective role, especially Ryan who is very funny, where as Hanks takes the more serious roles, which he is always perfect at.

But the actor who steals the show is Ross Maligner, who is exceptional as Sam's son Jonah, a cheeky 8 year old kid who has plenty on his mind, and a temper and encouragement to match. His smart remarks about Victoria are pure genius, helped along by some classic facial expressions to make him the star of the film.

Though completely unrealistic, this romantic drama generates a healthy plot with the ideology about finding the right person, which is enough to keep the mood alive. The difficulty in the character's lives is good to generate the concept of the right person, with Sam and his lost wife, and Annie and her bizarre fiancé.

The lack of realism happens with a cheesy saying the same words, meeting at the same time, or just in time, an 8 year old girl hacking into a computer and an 8 year old kid getting on a plane all the way to New York.

The lack of realism can take the edge of the plot, depending on how you look at it. For me, the humour and the likability of the characters was enough to let it slip.

It is a very character driven film, helped along by the concept of finding the right person, to make an enjoyable and funny romantic drama.

Easy on the eyes

Author: StInSanDiego from United States
4 August 2008

Sleepless in Seattle is one of those movies that is easy on the eyes. Meaning, if you've already seen it, it won;t be bothersome to watch it again if it happens to be playing on a cable station.

This film, though predictable, worked for me. The direction, set design, settings, acting and all of the music give us our romantic comedy experience. It was not too long either.

Nora Ephron, who is the director and a writer on this movie, demonstrates an understanding, and a love, of certain kinds of relationships. She shows a focus on how she wants her story to unfold and she delivers it. She works well with her actors, Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Ross Malinger, Rosie O'Donnell, Bill Pullman and the rest.

Tom Hanks is really good Meg Ryan is cute. The chemistry between Hanks and Ryan works well. Bill Pullman, as always is interesting to watch. The editing moved us along a t a nice pace.

Pretty good romance

Author: Qanqor from United States
27 June 2008

What can I tell you? This is pretty much a chick-flick, and I'm a guy, but I'm sorry, I rather liked it. Not profound or amazing or anything really all that special, just a well-done romance, where you really are pulling for the two to get together (despite realizing that, obviously, they're going to), and enjoy it when they finally do.

There were two things in particular that I liked about it. One, they made the effort to try to establish some reasons to think these two actually belong together, as opposed to the more typical Hollywood deal of, well, they're right for each other because we say so, and here's the sentimental violin music to prove it.

The other thing I liked is that the Walter character, the fiancé who's doomed to ultimately be the loser in this game of romance, is actually made out to be a half-decent guy. He's not made out to be an obvious putz that we know is all wrong for the woman, which would be the usual Hollywood thing to do (i.e. "His Girl Friday" or "The Philadelphia Story" (don't get me wrong, *great* movies, but you see my point)). Yeah, the whole excessive allergy thing is rather loserish, but other than that, he seems like a perfectly fine guy, who treats her well and really would try hard to make her happy, and in general she really does seem to respond to him and, at least on some level, be in love with him. Look at how happy she is, for instance, to get his valentine card. This all works very well, because it really does introduce a feeling of doubt in our minds... is she really going to leave him? I thought that was a very nice touch.

So in the end, I enjoyed it.

Although I'm left wondering at the end... they *still* haven't solved the problem that it's "like 26 states" between Seattle and Baltimore (as someone in a very-long-distance relationship, I can report first-hand that that kind of problem can be *very* hard to solve, true love or not),

One of the Best

Author: MattShimkus from United States
22 May 2008

This is one of the best films about love and falling in love. While it does break some 'romantic comedy' conventions, it still allows us to see the tragic and comic follies of others as an example of how people encounter one of the most basic human needs. Hanks and Ryan are brilliant as the opposites of this film, and their comic timing and character work are to be applauded. The cast is rounded out with lovely performances from Victor Garber, Rosie O'Donnell, and a young Ross Malinger. If you love, this is a great film. If you don't, try it, and then watch this film. I would put this right up there with "Philadelphia Story" and "It Happened One Night."

Very nice movie. Antiquated technology made me laugh

Author: joebloggslewis from United Kingdom
1 May 2008

This movie passed me by when it first came out. I don't know why but I just never got around to seeing it at the time.

I have to confess that the thing I enjoyed the most about this movie was the old technology and passé nature of that technology in the manner it was depicted.

Even relatively old fashioned dating sites like http://matchpoints.co.uk/ make this movie look old.

It was insightful and very sweet and the writers had a good sense of forsight when they looked into the future and realised that love's destiny was Online.