IMDb > Sleepless in Seattle (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Stupid In Seattle

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
26 May 2007

I wonder if anyone else got tired of watching young kids portrayed on screen as smarter than adults? Frankly, I got sick of it watching thousands of movies in the '90s. This movie had a prime example of that idiotic thinking. Note: an obnoxious young kid who talks and acts like he knows more than his father is NOT cute. It's stupid; it's annoying and it's wrong and it's another anti-family message that Hollywood loved to promote during this era. The message: don't respect your parents. You know more than them. Stephen Spielberg was a big proponent of this kind of thinking in many of his early films.

Combine that with the always-annoying Meg Ryan, who has yet to make a good movie, and you have an extremely overrated film in "Sleepless In Seattle. I was not shocked to find out Nora Ephron was a big contributor to this movie, directing it and helping to write the screenplay. This is the same ultra-liberal/secular writer who followed up this film with garbage like "Mixed Nuts," "Michael" and "You've Got Mail."

The characters in this film, beginning with Ryan's "Annie Reed," are simply too unrealistic. Also, it's not recommended you fall in love with someone just by hearing their voice. It might help to get to know the person, in person, for quite some time before making a commitment. No wonder people in Hollywood over the ages can't get marriage right!

Overall, a truly sappy movie filled with stupid messages and ridiculously overrated. It's junk.

A few flaws, but strong overall

Author: wolfie-8 from Japan
16 June 1999

Tom Hanks is his usual steady, likable self in "Sleepless in Seattle," a steady, likable movie that also benefits from one of Meg Ryan's more restrained (i.e. less obviously, annoyingly cute) performances.

It's their talent that helped me overlook some of the film's more noticeable flaws, particularly its treatment of the eventually-to-be-rejected Other Man and Other Woman. Both Hanks' and Ryan's "unsuitable" partners appear to be perfectly nice people, yet the movie casually dismisses them over one little flaw apiece--the woman laughs like a hyena and the man has terrible allergies. Both characters behave very well, considering the way they're treated by others. Hanks' girlfriend in particular desires a medal for putting up with his brat of a son, who is rude to her at every opportunity.

I also had difficulty warming to Hanks' son, although he is certainly preferable to the young girl who keeps expressing everything in initials.

On the bright side, there are many engaging supporting characters, including Rob Reiner as a fellow architect. Also of note are the rich homeowner, the dotty babysitter and Rosie O'Donnell as Ryan's editor and friend. Thankfully, few to none of their scenes involve the annoying children.

Many of the jokes are funny, the best coming when Hanks and a friend ridicule the weepy reaction of many women to "chick flicks" by sobbing as they recount the plot of "The Dirty Dozen."

I don't know why...

Author: clearsky111 from United States
25 June 2006

I don't know why I like this movie so much. There's no one thing that I can point to, but it's one of the few movies I can watch over and over again. Maybe it's the subdued performances of two very likable actors. Maybe it's because it's a combination of determinism (they're meant to be together) and free-will (he/she flies all over). Maybe it's the soundtrack -- And dialogue gems like these:

Jessica: I am telling them you're twelve so you can fly unaccompanied and the stewardess won't carry you around and stuff like that. Jonah Baldwin: Are you crazy! Who'd believe I'm twelve? Jessica: If it's in the computer, they believe anything.

But again, there are other movies with stronger acting (As Good As It Gets), better plot (too many to name), but some weird combo of above average qualities make this movie a 10. So here I am, on a rainy Sunday afternoon, watching it again, 13 years after the movie was made :).

If I want reality in New York, I can alway go hail a cab. If I want romance in New York...

Author: Peters Vecrumba (petersjv@aol.com) from United States
31 December 2005

I've read through a bunch of the reviews, about the existence/non-existence of the Hanks (Sam Baldwin)-Ryan (Annie Reed) chemistry; about the unfairness to Annie's fiancée, Walter (Pullman), the son who is bratty to his father's dates, etc., etc. In the end, it's Pullman's character that makes the point--life is to too short and important to "settle" for someone.

It seems to me that the real story is that of Jonah (Ross Malinger), the boy who lost his mom, who hopes against all hope for a future of more than himself and his dad. Ja, ja, Annie is the confused single making it all the way to Seattle (I've been to Seattle myself looking for love, alas--actually, fortunately--unsuccessfully), but it's Jonah who gets on the plane to New York, providing the final catalyst for the inevitable meeting. And, of course, we're tortured as Annie gets out of the UP elevator just as Sam and Jonah get on the DOWN elevator (yes, hearing all those CHICK FLICK groans). Of course, Jonah's backpack is left behind (collective sigh of relief!)...

... and so Howard, the teddy bear, completes the foursome. And who can resist Jimmy Durante closing the film singing "Make Someone Happy"?

Then there are the naysayers. So sad for those whose own experience of love cannot overpower their hankering for "reality."

Unfair towards guys.

Author: Foopy-2 from Ohio USA
8 December 2000

Ok, I think I figured out why this movie irked me. It's not because it's romantic--Casablanca's one of my favorite films, and so are a slew of other romance movies. It's not because it's cheesy, since I like a lot of those movies too. And it's not because it has a boring plot, because it's really not boring at all.

It's because this movie is utterly unfair towards guys. There's two major reasons for this: firstly, Bill Pullman's character is inhuman. Secondly, if the genders of the two main characters were switched (i.e., if Meg Ryan played Tom Hanks' role and vice versa), Tom Hanks (the character played by Ryan) would be perceived as a total jerk. I can't really explain these two things without mentioning spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, you should probably skip the rest of this commentary.

As for Pullman's character: yes, if I had a fiancee in the same situation as Meg Ryan and she wanted to dump me for someone more suitable for her, I'd say "ok." But that's not to say I'd be extremely depressed and p***ed off at how much work I put into this relationship just to have "mr. perfect" walk by and lose everything. I would also be at least a little bit disappointed that my fiancee didn't care enough about my own feelings to stay with me. Pullman's character is expecting to have kids with this woman, and he seems perfectly fine--no, downright enthusiastic--with letting her go marry someone else. I don't know any guy who would be nearly as consenting about this whole thing as Pullman's character. Additionaly, this all seems to imply (for me at least) that a heterosexual relationship has nothing to do with the guy's happiness and everything to do with the girl's: that the man is the provider of services, and the woman is the customer who has every right to leave if she's dissatisfied.

How is this the case? Well, imagine switching the genders of the two main characters. Say it was Tom Hanks who was already with a woman he was going to marry, but decided to leave her (or ask her if he could leave her) when he heard this woman (Meg Ryan) on a radio talk show who sounded absolutely perfect for him. Wouldn't Hanks be perceived as a total jerk who dumped his fiancee for someone else? Wouldn't he be seen as an insensitive person who cared more about his own feelings and happiness than his fiancee's? In the actual movie, however, it's Meg Ryan who dumps her fiancee, and since she acts cute and innocent when she does it, she's not perceived as a jerk.

So, basically, that's my chief complaint about this film. Other than that, it's very funny, and I like the acting. Another thing I didn't like about it, though, is that it's the kind of movie where you're made to only care about the two main characters and nobody else.

But ultimately I think that my main complaint about this movie is really a complaint about American dating culture. It was really hard for me to figure out why I didn't like this movie, and I think that this movie really reveals how disadvantaged the stereotype of men is in dating culture. That's not to say that women aren't disadvantaged--the whole feminist movement is the embodiment of this fact--but all I'm trying to say is that men are also disadvantaged in different ways, and in my opinion dating culture needs to change for the equality of both sexes.

Author: troy-manatunga from United Arab Emirates
22 January 2012

A love story between two ends of a continent and a story that is unique during its time, a story of love and chance that would make the female romantics stomachs turn. Certain movies will indeed last a life time. Some maybe as powerful as FORREST GUMP, some can bring to life a tragedy that came upon the unsinkable vessel THE TITANIC, some movies can be considered as the next step in cinematography as THE GLADIATOR and then there are those few whose names remain but the story is forgotten with time such as SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE. However every-time you do push that DVD in your player, it is certain that it will move you and reach out to you just as much as it did the very first time.

Tom Hanks who stole your heart away as Forrest and who showed true grit in taking on the solo role of Chuck in CAST AWAY is always remembered fondly by his fans for those magical characters he played. Meg Ryan the Venus of the 90s was probably in every romcom that made a mark back then. SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, YOU'VE GOT MAIL, CITY OF ANGELS & WHEN MAN LOVES a WOMAN is titles that cannot be forgotten if you are indeed a fan of the genre. Ryan and Hanks in one of the very earliest of their performances together scores a near perfect score with SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE.

It is said that there is no greater gift than the gift of love. Indeed it's true. We all have an emotional connection in our lives to someone that is entirely unexplainable. It's a connection on a platonic level unlike the attraction of lust. This value of love has been misread entirely in Hollywood of today and movies with such innocent intentions are quite rare. SIS by director Norah Ephron holds onto the idea of platonic love. It in-fact personifies the mere idea of such platonic connections between two people. Norah Ephron who has a knack for movies of this category certainly takes her work to heart. It is indeed evident primarily with her preference on always casting Meg Ryan. Next it's the very seasonal touch (most movies are set during the holiday season) she adds onto them and then the medium she uses to bring her lovers together. Two individuals who have never seen nor heard of each other falls in love over a radio show and in another instance rivals in business who falls in love in a chat room. With due credit to the writers who conjured the scripts; BRAVO!

Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) and his 8 year old son Jonah Baldwin (Ross Malinger) are hit by surprise when their wife/mother Maggie is suddenly passes away. Devastated by the loss of his wife Sam and son Jonah leaves Chicago and moves all the way to Seattle with the hopes of moving on and beginning a new life. 18 months down the line Sam is still mourning the loss of Maggie and is unable to function an inch beyond her memories. Young Jonah who is smart for his age understands his fathers' grief and wishes only to see him happy. On Christmas eve Jonah calls in on a radio talk show and explains to the host his fathers' situation and subsequently Sam ends up on the phone pouring his heart out over the air of his love for Maggie. Sam is heard all over country to those who are tuned in, Including Annie (Meg Ryan) who is driving over to her fiancés parents' home for Christmas Eve dinner. Annie who unconsciously forms a liking towards Sam over the days lose focus on Walter (Bill Pullman); her fiancé and is totally hung up on a stranger she has never met nor seen all her life. Is that even possible? To fall in love with just a voice and a story, never seeing nor knowing who it is?

Title: SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE Directed by: Norah Ephron Starring: Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Bill Pullman and Ross Maligner Rated: PG for some language Rating: 7.5/10 105 Minutes

a fake love story

Author: abe-27 from Providence, RI
20 October 2002

Every character in this self-proclaimed love story is so fake that I do not think any non-adolescent over 14 would believe it. I have always felt both Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are over-rated actors and this movie is a living proof of that. Throughout the movie, I felt sorry for Bill Pullman who seemed to have taken his role somewhat seriously.

The idea that two very good-looking adults falling in love according to a plot from an older movie is absurd. What is more ridiculous is that the wisdom emanates from an 8 year old who can recite long sentences without rehearsal! If that's not enough, working people with middle class life styles, seem to be doing nothing but to worry about their love life at work. I am so glad I saw this movie on TV so I would not have to go and ask for my money back.

One of the Worst Movies of All Time

Author: annak57 from United States
11 June 2007

One of my favorite movies is When Harry Met Sally so I thought that this one would be pretty cute too. Hell to the no!! If I could have given this negative stars I would have given it millions of them. This movie is in the top five worst I have ever seen in my entire life. I don't remember the last time I sat and started hating a movie less than ten minutes in and continued to let the loathing exponentially increase with every clichéd line and awful representation of women. Sleepless in Seattle sets the female gender back decades. Women randomly cry at the slightest stupid thing, send letters to some guy they've only heard on the radio one time because they're so desperate, and chase after impossible love because they're trying to recreate some unrealistic fantasy spawned by seeing far too many movies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy corny, romantic movies, but Meg Ryan's character takes it to the extreme. EXTREMELY AWFUL!!! This movie is an embarrassment and an affront to women everywhere. All copies on earth should be burned and the ashes hurled into space towards the smoldering sun along with Nora Ephron for creating this disgusting garbage.

Haven't laughed out loudly since a long time!

Author: Goku89
11 July 2015

This movie was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting it to be good since people talk about it all the time but what I didn't know how funny it was! Haven't actually laughed out loud at a movie since a very long time.

Some of the scenes were so simple but hilarious.

Meg and Tom's chemistry was incredible.

The story was different, heartfelt, and beautiful. It made me cry multiple times!!

I would highly recommend everyone to watch this.

Also I think this 6.8 is way too low. It should be more!

They don't make movies like this anymore which is such a shame.

Must watch, timeless movie!

I Love It

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
26 February 2015

I will not lie to you, I will admit right from the off that I am biased. I love this movie.

Plot In A Paragraph: Eighteen months after losing his wife, Sam (Tom Hanks) is still grieving and can't sleep. His eight year old son Jonah (Ross Malinger) misses his mother, but he wants his father to get a new wife despite Sam having not even contemplated dating again. On Christmas Eve, Jonah calls a national radio talk show and ask for a "new wife" for his Dad. Sam ends up pouring his heart out about his magical and perfect marriage to his late wife, and how much he still misses her. Among the many women who hear Sam's story and fall in love with him solely because of it is Annie Reed (Meg Ryan) a Baltimore-based newspaper writer. Who is drawn to Jim based on his story, despite already being engaged to Walter (Bill Pullman)

1993 was a massive year for Tom Hanks with both this movie and "Philadelphia" being huge hits. Both are very different, but are equally brilliant. As is Hanks. He is heartbreakingly excellent as the widower. Amazingly the role of Annie was originally offered to Julia Roberts, who turned it down. Kim Basinger also turned it down because she thought the premise was ridiculous (Good move Kim!!) After Michelle Pfeiffer, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jodie Foster all declined as well, Meg Ryan landed the role. I surprised this role was not wrote with Ryan in mind as this type of role was her bread and butter back then. She was perfect for this type of role.

Rosie O Donnell is solid support to Ryan as is Bill Pullman, and Ross Malinger manages to avoid all the cliché's of most chicks actors!

Well directed, with a sharp and witty script. I will add I also liked the fact that they didn't feel the need to make the Bill Pullman character a jerk (as is usual the case with his type of role in romantic comedies)

One of my favourite Tom Hanks movies, one of my favourite Meg Ryan movies and one of my favourite romantic comedies. I don't own many romantic comedies. But this one is in my collection.

Page 2 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]