IMDb > Skylark (1993) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Skylark (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Love is even more powerful under trials!

Author: Sherwin Goerlitz ( from Kelowna BC, Canada
26 February 2002

This sequel follows two years behind "Sarah, Plain and Tall." And I loved it even better! The mail-order bride from Maine, is now part of the Witting family. She and Jacob have fallen in love and his two young children have truly become her own. Their simple, but rich life on the Kansas prairie is threatened by a terrible drought. One by one their friends and neighbors are forced to abandon their farms, but they vow to stay and fight to keep the family farm. When the wells run dry and fire threatens their very lives, they too are forced to make a decision that will tear them from their home and each other. Sarah and the two children go to Maine.

Separated by miles, but bound together by love, they learn that devotion is what makes them a family; and that love is even more powerful under trials. There are some great quotes in this movie as Sarah talks to the children. "Yes, I loved your papa's letters, but it what was between the lines that I loved the most." "What was between the lines?" "His life, that's what was between the lines. Sometimes..." "Sometimes papa's not good with words." "Sometimes what people chose to write down on paper is more important than what they say." Here is good quality family entertainment.

More of the same, very nice.

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
28 December 2003

These stories reminded me of Little House, Lois Lenski's books and the Waltons some. All very good, wholesome, w/ the emphasis on family, farm and the like.

If you liked the first one, you will like this one-again fine reserved performances by Close and Walken(nice to see him doing this esp), the kids are believable, the filming all done on location. It's great to see the usual hazards-fires, barnraising, drought, separation, etc trotted out and done w/ some conviction.

*** do check it out.

Author: 1fortheroad ( from USA
19 July 2002

Skylark was a great follow-up on Sarah, Plain and Tall. There were new conflicts to be resolved, and the cast of characters expanded to add Sarah's brother, sister-in-law, and her three aunts. Sarah and Jacob were married in the last film, but in spite of her love for her new family and her new life, Sarah still misses her old home. It doesn't help that the Kansas is now facing a drought, and there is an alarming scarcity of water. Sarah and her family watch as their friends move away, trying to find a better home, but Sarah and Jacob are determined to stay until the end. Or at least until something devestating happens, that causes Jacob to move Sarah and the children away. Sarah takes them back to Maine, and there they stay, while Jacob lives on in Kansas, trying to wait out the drought that plagues the land. I loved this film, and especially the ending, which shows that true love can span a continent, if need be. Once more, Glenn Close is superb as Sarah, and Christopher Walken is magnificent in his role as well. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Skylark; continuing family love during hardship

Author: kodi-7 from United States
5 January 2006

The Midwest is struck with a drought. Many family desert their farms, but Sarah and Jacob hang on as long as possible.

Finally, Sarah and the two children go to the east coast to visit "the Jewels" (Sarah's aunts) and Sarah's brother, while Jacob stays at the farm and tries to save what he can. The aunts are delightful, nonconformists who accept the children and welcome Sarah.

When rain finally comes to the Midwest, Jacob goes to Maine to bring home Sarah and the children. Sarah says a final goodbye to her beloved Maine.

Skylark is as wonderful a movie as Sarah Plain and Tall, and Winter's End. This movie is suitable for any age. Hallmark has once again excelled.

Enjoyable New Meetings

Author: KimAC5 from Delaware, USA
31 March 2001

I thought Skylark was a nice follow up to the great movie, Sarah Plain and Tall. I enjoyed "meeting" Sarah's brother, sister-in-law, and especially the three aunts. The strong love between Jacob and Sarah was very heartwarming, and it was like reading the next chapter in a beloved book.

Well-done family entertainment

Author: IzzyTree from Columbus, OH
10 October 2009

Perhaps this sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall does not have the inherent drama of the original. But it is still wonderful, well-done family entertainment.

One of my favorite things about this movie is how it lingers on moments. For example, when Sarah receives a birthday gift of a Victrola and hears music again for the first time in years, the camera lingers on not only her face but those of Jacob and her friends and neighbors. Then slowly she melts as we see her remembering how much she loved and missed music. As the Italian aria continues to play, her husband takes her by the hand and they dance together. It is a small moment but one to treasure along with Sarah and her family.

Another example is when Jacob first arrives in Maine and sees the ocean for the first time. His eyes register wonder and awe that makes us realize how similar the ocean is to the prairie that he loves (a theme that runs throughout the film).

The script is good. The dialogue is believable and generally not trite or predictable. When the drought is starting to get really bad, Sarah tells Jacob she is not leaving. She doesn't want him to worry; she repeats the phrase over and over, and finally getting through, Jacob grabs her hand, they circle one another and laugh and kiss. His daughter watches form the window. It's another precious, original moment in the script.

I also have to mention that I love Glenn Close and Chris Walken in this film. Both are extremely well-cast. Glenn glows, and Walken is sweet and dashingly handsome, especially when he dons "town clothes" to travel to Maine.

Overall, a wonderful family film. I also remember how my father, who was born in the decade portrayed by the Sarah, Plain and Tall films, loved them, perhaps because he remembered how hard life could be in earlier times. A great series of films. I recommend all three.

Author: Vibiana from USA
22 October 2007

The original film, which I call "Sarah Big & Ugly" wasn't bad, even though I wanted to clout the two whiny little rug rats in it about every ten minutes. This one, however, like most sequels, was dreck.

Five second recap: Sarah and Jacob are watching the weather in Kansas get drier and drier while all their neighbors pack up and leave the prairie because their wells have dried up. The barn burns down and Sarah has an unintentionally hilarious Prozac-on-the-prairie moment when Jacob tries to shoot a coyote that's drinking from their scarce water supply. Probably thinking "I've got to get this crazy b**** out of my hair!" Jacob sends Sarah and the two whiny rug rats to stay with her relatives in Maine.

Did I mention these relatives? Man, were they weird. I could see where Sarah got it from, and also why they must have been so anxious to pack her skinny ass off to Kansas the first chance they got.

Through her patented Weird Old Lady telepathy abilities, Aunt Lou (who must be some sort of prehistoric bulldyke in her overalls, working at the veterinary clinic to boot) declares that Sarah's got a bun in the oven. Then Jacob shows up in a sissy city-boy ensemble to pack her and the kids home since, in fact, it has actually rained back in Kansas thanks to his skillful deployment of sitting on the porch listening to Sarah's victrola and looking mournful. And he's absolutely THRILLED to learn that the wife is knocked up. Gee, I can hardly wait for installment 3. Not.

I think this is one of my favorite movies now. :)

Author: kellyleighcrutcher from Melbourne, Florida, United States
4 November 2006

I don't know if my message has spoilers or not, but I'm marking it just in case. I saw the first movie and "Skylark" for the first time on November 4, 2004 (I'm watching Skylark as I'm typing this, in fact) and I think they're both wonderful movies. Glenn Close (Sarah) and Christopher Walken (Jacob Witting) are wonderful playing together. I saw Close in the 101 Dalmatian movies as Cruella DeVil, but I think she's better in the role of Sarah Wheaton/Witting. Sarah, her cat, Seal, (Seal's a lovely cat) and the Wittings are my favorite characters from this. If I could rate higher than a ten, I would. Has anyone thought of making a fourth movie in this series?

A real life-story

Author: OJT from Norway
29 July 2001

Simple and moving story. This is a real life story about a family that finds everything on their land dying due to draught. The neighbors are moving, and if the rain falls, Jacob and Sarah also has to move... Simple and blessing. No dramatic action is needed to tell a story with a heart. Glenn Close (also producer of this film) and Christopher Walken are great in their roles.

No Rain- Big Trouble

Author: whpratt1 from United States
25 February 2006

Excellent story about a mail-order-bride, Glenn Close,(Sarah Witting),"The Shield",TV'02, who lives in CT where everything is green to the Mid-West and becomes the bride to Christopher Walken,(Jacob Witting),"Domino",'05, and a beautiful story of love becomes a very strong thing between Jacob's son and daughter. These two perfect soul mates, joined together as one flesh, have some problems which farmers do encounter through out many generations past and in the future. Many times we take for granted the things that Nature provides and when it does not appear, our very lives become a great disaster. This is a very wonderful love story and the children gave an outstanding performance. Good Clean entertainment