Siu nin Wong Fei Hung chi: Tit ma lau (1993) Poster

125 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Great Entertainment
lu_morning19 January 2004
This is by far one of the top 10 martial art movies of all time.

This movie has beautiful scenery and atmosphere. It transport me back to a place long ago and far away where life is cruel and government officials are corrupt but all is not forsaken for heroes are out there with heart of pure goodness, body of iron armor, and spirit of courage and valor. This movie made me believe in this world where human can train their body and mind to do inhuman feats like leaping onto roof tops and shattering cement blocks two feet thick. It invoked memories of my childhood dream of becoming a martial art master able to kick butt but also the restraint and pathos for helping those less fortunate. Both Dr Yang and Wong Kei-Ying plays a martial art hero that possess these traits. They are well rounded individuals that posses other admirable skills. Dr Yang for example is a highly skilled doctor, a flashy cook, and a musician. I love one of the breath taking scenery in which he was playing this Chinese instrument out in the court yard on a golden autumn day. It's very nostalgic for me for some reason. Orchid, Dr Yang's assistant is wonderful in this movie as well. She brought beauty and depth to this movie. The young Wong Fei-hung character was great as well. These wonderful characters on top of the amazing fight sequences makes this movie transcend martial art movies and rival any movies genre ever produced in terms of sheer entertainment value. I have read review about the bad/simple plot or fake wire-fu in this movie. That's not the point, the mastery of mood and texture in this movie is sheer enjoyment. How much plot can one develop in a 90 minute martial art movie?...or any movie really...it's all about the human conditions some more complex than other often recycled over and over through the years and placed in a different setting and different context. Great movies capture the human imagination and touches a spectrum of human emotions. Great movies also flow smoothly and do not go into a lull. For me this movie did that and more. Hopefully you'll want to watch it again and again like I did.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome Monkey
AwesomeWolf1 May 2005
Version: Universal Studios / Hong Kong Legends R4 DVD release. Cantonese / English subtitles.

I first saw 'Iron Monkey' on an old, poor-quality VHS release with dodgy English subtitles placed underneath really big and bright Chinese subtitles that took up half of the screen space. You know the type I'm talking about. Even then, my immediate reaction was "AWESOME WOW AWESOME".

The corrupt officials of a Chinese province find themselves the target of Iron Monkey (Rongguang Yu), a sort of Chinese Robin Hood. When Wong Kei Ying (Donnie Yen) and a young Wong Fei Hung (Sze-Man Tsang) arrive in town, Kei Ying is forced to help the corrupt authorities track down Iron Monkey. Naturally, things get complicated when a group of Shaolin rebels arrive in town. Led by Hin Hung (Yee Kwan Yan) these evil Shaolin Monks and Nuns have been paid take out our heroes, leaving Iron Monkey, Kei Ying, Fei Hung, and Miss Orchid (Jean Wang) to kick many an evil-doers arse.

The story in 'Iron Monkey' serves only as a device to allow for more fighting. Things that might usually be kept secret are revealed nearly straight away, just to avoid any major plot twists and allow for more kung-fu time. In fact, in 'Iron Monkey', kung-fu time occurs much more frequently then plot-development time, and whenever a plot-development moment comes along, it usually accompanied by kung-fu time. Awesome.

We all know that Donnie Yen and Rongguang Yu are awesome. They spend a good deal of time putting on some awesome fight scenes. Jean Wang and Sze-Man Tsang (who, in Monkey Magic style, is actually a girl) pull of some really cool action sequences. Granted, most of it is grounded in fantasy, much like 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' and friends, but it still looks really cool, and a few of these fights are easily some of my favourite fight-scenes ever. Also, the technique names rule. I wish I could perform a no-shadow kick or a King Kong palm.

'Iron Monkey' is nearly nothing but martial arts fantasy. Fans of Hong Kong wuxia movies will get a kick out of this, as will action fans in general. Fans of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', 'Hero', and 'House of Flying Daggers' should see this to see how wuxia should be done, but they may not like it. Fantastic action movie - 9/10
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is THE martial arts film to see -- it is about young Wong Fei-hung, before Tsui Hark-Jet Li's "Once Upon A Time In China" period.
Ruby Liang (ruby_fff)4 November 2001
Hong Kong film director and martial arts expert Yuen Woo-ping is absolutely outstanding. In "Iron Monkey," one scene I admire most is the poetically quiet, beautiful interaction of fluid movements in graceful progression: as Dr. Yang and Miss Orchid close shop (the clinic), a whiff of wind blows the papers (written prescriptions) up in the air, and Yang (who's actually Iron Monkey) elevates himself up into the air to catch the flying papers, while Orchid, with a few agile movements and glides, catches the balance of the flying papers. It's like a short interlude - a silent romantic song with punctuated accents - with a slight kick from Miss Orchid, a stool plops into place upside down as it should be on another neatly ends the piece. I actually relish this quiet segment much more than the awe-struck extensive finale scene, which is truly an amazing display of exquisitely choreographed martial art movements of three masters (two good forces tenaciously team up against one skillful evil monk) on multiple wooden poles with inferno-like fire a-dancing below. Fantastic performances from Donnie Yen as Wong Kei-ying, father of Wong Fei-hung, who's deftly portrayed by a young girl Tsang Sze-man, and Yu Rongguang as Dr. Yang/Iron Monkey, with Jean Wang as Miss Orchid, to the upstanding police chief, the devastating evil monk and all.

Iron Monkey is essentially a film about the legendary Shaolin kung-fu master (also known as drunken master) Wong Fei-hung when he was young. In fact, the alternate title is "Siunin Wong Fei-hung tsi titmalau," literally: Young Wong Fei-hung's iron monkey.

Follow this up with Jet Li's "Once Upon A Time In China 2" ("Wong Fei-hung ji yi: Naam yi dong ji keung" 1992, literally: Wong Fei-hung #2 - young man should be self-sufficiently strong) and the adult Wong Fei-hung portrayal will be better understood: why he's so good at his knowledge and practice of Chinese medicine, why he acted so restrained and coy with Aunt Yee, whom he very much loves but won't express so - all due to the austere teachings from his father as noted in "Iron Monkey." We also learn that he lost his mother at a tender young age - though from Jackie Chan's "The Legend of Drunken Master" (2000 USA, "Jui Kuen 2" 1994, literally: Drunken fist 2), we can see he has quite a wonderful stepmother - smart and wittily portrayed by Anita Mui! See it if you want another excitingly fun, martial arts action-packed drama about the adult Wong Fei-hung.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yuen Woo Ping on speed
InzyWimzy19 June 2002
I have three words for this movie: Yuen Woo Ping.

This movie is action packed with Ping's trademark unique fighting sequences. Whether it's bodies slamming through tables, hopping from roof to rooftop, there's so much action, then story, then more action!!! Donnie Yen's martial arts is impressive and his character is very straight to the point, but very noble. Guang as Dr. Yang is heroic as well and plays his dual role very well. Most of best battles have both men sharing the screen with lightning speed quickness!! Tsang is good as young Wong Fei Hung and the beautiful Jean Wang is visually pleasing to watch as Miss Ho (who can also whoop butt). Master Fox provides funny moments too.

Overall, the main emphasis here is the martial arts. The bad guys are very bad (including one deadly renegade monk) and the action is intense. Besides "shadowless kicks" and "King Kong fists", weapons used vary from staffs & swords to umbrellas, benches, and very sharp tacks (OUCH!) The finale is mind-blowing and is like nothing I've ever seen before.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fancy Kung Fu Robin Hood
Mick-5520 December 1999
I really loved this flick. A Kung Fu Robin Hood fights corruption in officialdom whilst providing for the poor and needy. Kung Fu skills go from fancy kicks and hand work, to wok skills, balancing on poles and beating up bullies with an umbrella. Once the visiting doctor realises his mistake in wanting to defeat our hero, a dynamic team up results against the evil foes from Shaolin who misuse their art to the obligatory Kung Fu bad guys (and girls). The characters are quite good, even the little kid didn't irritate me (good skills). This movie has some padding, with the father-son routine. It worked ok, adding some plot and human interest to the movie. Even one of the corrupt officials (Master Fox) moves beyond 1D, though the Shaolin monk is truly the 1D bad guy. Well done Tsui Hark.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome
writermage15 June 2004
Note that this movie's subtitle is "The Young Wong Fei-Hong."

This isn't so much a movie about a Chinese Robin Hood/Zorro figure, or a strict martial arts hero - it's a movie about a young boy and the people who influence who he will become. It's poignant in parts - such as when Fei Hong tries to grab his father's hand and is scolded for it - and hilarious in others - "My kung-fu is pretty good!" exclaims a surprised Fei Hong in one scene.

While much of the movie is focused on the concerns of the adults around him, Fei Hong is also the audience's conduit to the subtle messages of the movie as a whole. It's not all about kick-ass fight scenes - that's just how they keep our attention. The world portrayed in IRON MONKEY admires intellect and wit as much as martial arts ability. Woven into the whole is a lesson in honor, the balance between discipline and recklessness, and the need for affection and love.

Fans of CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON will love this movie because of one simple fact - the plot is linear, with short flashback sequences as needed, and despite its intricacy, it's not too involved. CTHD would be like riding in a Rolls-Royce: beautiful to look at, enjoyable to drive; but IRON MONKEY is like a Porche, fast, sleek and dangerous. CTHD may be visually superior as far as cinematography goes - and in a lot of ways, it is - but IRON MONKEY moves along in ways that CTHD does not.

Also look for Tsang Sze Man, who had the potential to be what Haley Joel Osment is here in America. Pity Man didn't do any more martial arts films.

Film fans must see this movie; kung fu fans probably should see this movie. But if subtitles scare you (the dubbed version isn't quite as good) and guys in robes and braids are "gay," keep away. Go rent DUMB AND DUMBER or something.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Stuff
gdog-220 October 2001
For all you people who've only seen the matrix, CTHD, and think fight club features the best fighting ever, you ain't seen nothing yet. Iron Monkey features Hong Kong movie making at one of its best. For those of you who couldn't find a plot, I don't know what kind of movie you saw or how well you pay attention to a movie but I found the plot to be about a good doctor who helps the poor, and the oppressive govt official that's after him. And it gets complicated by Donnie Yen's character. And sorry, for those of you who don't know, there's no literal Monkey made out of Iron in this movie just like there are no crouching tigers or hidden dragons in that movie. But Iron Monkey is a martial arts classic.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the greatest martial arts movie ever !!
Alexandre Bender19 April 1999
Donnie Yen and Yuen-woo ping team up again to bring us one of the best kung fu movies ever. The fight choreography is perfect and the fighting style includes the animal styles such as the crane and the snake. Donnie Yen plays Wong-kai-ying, the father of Wong-fei-hong(who is curiously played by a girl!!), and they have to face in their adventure villains such as the witch, who has powerful hand grip and great double sword of lo-han style of fighting, and the governor who possesses his famous king-kong palm and his flying sleeves. But Wong-kai-ying also has a powerful move :it is the no-shadow kick (style that we can see in the once upon a time in china series of movies). The end fight is the one of the three best I have ever seen!! A must see. 10/10
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the greatest martial arts movies in the world
drngor5 September 2000
Yuen Woo-Ping and Donnie Yen, in yet another collaboration together, have brought forth one of the greatest kung fu movies in existence. The story involves a Robin Hood-esque martial artist named the Iron Monkey teaming up w/ Wong Kei Ying to battle government corruption. The movie itself is a prequel to the OUATIC series, and in many ways is better than most of the entries in it. Thematically, this film deals with friendship, greed, corruption, and family relationships.

However, this is a martial arts movie. The fight scenes are choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping. He was nominated for the Best Choreography award and it's a shame he didn't win. Donnie Yen, Yu Rong Gwong, and the rest of the supporting cast show off a vast display of martial arts. My favourite fight is when Donnie Yen battles the evil monks and the nun. His footwork is simply awesome, one of the best kickers in the business. All leads up to an impressive finale, where Donnie Yen and Yu Rong Gwong battle their foe on the top of a forest of burning poles. It must be seen to believe.

Excellent film. There's a story. There are themes and morals. And there's some of the greatest fights one will witness. A true classic.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Flight Assembly
tedg30 May 2003
Spoilers herein.

I am not a student of Hong Kong martial arts movies, just someone who dips into the accessible ones.

My interest is in the cinematic experience, and that depends to a large extent on how the camera is choreographed. It doesn't matter to me how elaborate the effects of the people and objects on screen if I am not part of the dance.

This project is pretty exhilarating in that regard. It is not as thrilling as `Crouching Tiger' because that camera actually entered the fight at times. This camera is always an observer, never a participant. `Tiger' allowed us to personally enter the tradition where the fights aren't between the people in them, but between the masters that trained them, people who may be dead.

Nonetheless, this one is definitely worth your time, especially if you can have a friend explain how it fits within legends, history and styles of martial `arts.' That's because of the sheer dimensionality of how we interact with the space. The camera does move in space, often in odd and interesting ways.

My favorite part is near the beginning. A pile of paper documents (the history we are seeing?) is blown helter-skelter into three-d. The Doctor and his Orchid perform a dance in the air recovering them - in order, as if they are dancing gods writing history. If they are gods, we are metagods and our dance "assembles" them. Watch how the camera moves in this. It is magnificent.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 4: Worth watching.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Miramax butchers very enjoyable film!
Andy (film-critic)1 February 2005
After watching films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Shaolin Soccer and immensely falling for them, I had some hesitancy with this film. With Tarantino's name attached to the previews, I had this growing concern that Hollywood had gripped this film a bit too hard, thus squeezing out any remaining value or originality. I had heard of the stories of Harvey "Scissorhands" and his ability to really do a number on these Asian films that find their way into our cinemas. I have heard that if you ever really want to fully enjoy one of these films, do not touch those with the name Miramax stamped anywhere. With this in mind, I believe you can see where the hesitancy was coming from, but I need to be honest, this wasn't a horrible film. Using a pre-Wachowski brothers technique of wires instead of "bullet-time" effects, Iron Monkey quickly transformed from your average Shaolin film (if there is such a thing), to a very humorous, creative, and original film.

For some strange reason this film caught my eye and never let go. The strong blend between action and comedy rivals that of most modern Hollywood big-budget features. The impeccable timing of the actors, the perfection of each of the dance-like fights, and its ability to transcend from one genre to another is what really gave this film a big boost in my eyes. While I was expecting a notorious film full of girth and power, I was not in any way expecting this prize-winning, genre-jumping, symposium of pleasure. Everything from the balloonish characters to the simple, yet structured, story pushed this film beyond others of similar nature. I cannot express how impressed that I was with Iron Monkey and how it helped bring the martial arts film back into American homes.

Another element that I enjoyed immensely in this film was the mystic forces behind the characters. The different Shaolin techniques impressed me and helped give the characters a masked depth to them. Being relatively new to this genre, I am constantly impressed by the power, creativity, and ingenuity of the basic moves that Shaolin implies while in battle. In this film, it was the "Buddha Palm" that made me utter the infamous Keanu line, "Whoa". While this film wasn't perfection in a nutshell, it was enjoyable to go back to some of these "classics" and see where our now-modern films are borrowing their style. It is good to see the strength and ability of someone fresh instead of Hollywood Jackie Chan in these roles. Asian cinema is one of the most impressive genres in film, and continually it proves that it can break old molds and stereotypes by revamping them while still paying homage to the originals. It is a genre, unlike Hollywood, that actually pays honest respect to the proceeding films that gave them this opportunity, and while Iron Monkey isn't Criterion-esquire, it does provide several hours of countless fun and mind-challenging action.

Finally, you cannot talk about a film like this without mentioning the action. I grew up in a house that prided itself on the popularity of the action film, and while my tastes have changed considerably over the years, it is always a pleasure to revisit in my mind those childhood days. Now, when I go back to visit my family, I take films like Iron Monkey and Shaolin Soccer to bring a new style of action into the home. It continues to be an instant hit. This film was no different. From the quick hand and leg combat, to the creative use of nearly every random inanimate object around, to the different elements of nature that are brought in to bring more thrill to the table, this film had everything and kept the enjoyment level high. That says a lot for a little Asian film that found itself corrupted by America.

Overall, I was very impressed with this film. With my growing infatuation with this genre of film, I cannot wait to get my hands on more. While I wish that Miramax would not try to take these films to the butcher's block, they still provide several hours of enjoyment and plenty of action. In intensity and insanity of the actors help create a world where you believe in the impossible kung-fu move and allow even more punches to follow. This was a great film that should be enjoyed with subtitles (never dubbing) and without the Tarantino introduction. Check it out, I do not think it will bring disappointment.

Grade: **** out of *****
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome!
daan_de_geus21 April 2007
The amazing Iron Monkey! This movie has a legendary status amongst martial arts fans, and for good reason!

Iron Monkey is the Chinese robin hood and he owns in this totally cool martial arts flick directed by Yuen Woo Ping. The action is super fast paced (again, it's like a Donnie Yen movie trademark) and filled with wires and unrealistic stuff like that. But Donnie and Rongguang excel and shows true ass kicking moves. T he story is not really special or anything, but it suffices and the acting is good. I think about 70 % of the movie consists of fight scenes, 25% dialogue and acting and 5% classic Chinese actors making funny face at the camera. If you like unrealistic and speedy martial arts flicks, then this is the movie for you.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Action Filled High Flying Masterpiece
jcholguin20 December 2003
When I saw the title of the video, I didn't know what to expect. Maybe someone that would fight like a monkey or maybe some gorilla? What I saw was a masterpiece of action. The dialog was limited because of the subtitles but then the less speaking the more action. Dr Yang and Miss Orchid are physician and nurse respectively in a very corrupt town. Common people are starved and beaten by a corrupt government. The Iron Monkey turns up to rob from the corrupt officials and business people and give to the poor and homeless. Iron Monkey is really Dr Yang hidden beneath a mask. Wong Kei-Ying is forced by blackmail to find this Iron Monkey and kill or capture him. Kei-Ying is also a very skillful master of Kung-Fu. This film features many battles between evil monks, a witch, a disfigured man and the most powerful of all, an evil type of Emperor with deadly hands, feet and head. The final flaming battle is a fight scene that you will want to see many times as Iron Monkey and Kei-Ying seemingly are so overmatched.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Cliché, But.....You Have To See To Believe It!
ccthemovieman-111 October 2006
This was a surprise, being more entertaining than I expected. Like most Hong Kong action films, this mixes comedy in with all the martial arts violence. When I saw this in 2002, I could safely say no film - among the thousands I have seen - has action scenes quite like this! It was the wildest kung-fu/Crouching Tiger- type action I had ever seen....and plenty of it. In fact, too much. At least the film was short at 85 minutes but, man, it still needed some lulls in here.

This is so cartoon-like, it could have been labeled such, especially with the dubbed in version in which the voices and dialog just don't seem to add up. It's so corny, so bad, that it's hilarious!

And those action scenes? Well, you just have to see them to believe it.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two kung-fu styles which just conflict...
Gu23 October 2001
I have forever been a fan of the old Wu-Tang and Shaolin kung fu movies. They relied on incredible martial arts and flashy moves, and achieved greatness in their simplicity. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon captivated audiences with its involving and meaningful story line, while also backing it with aeronautic kung-fu. Iron Monkey tries SO hard to mix these two movie styles, but falls short...way short. Take the kung-fu by itself and you have a terrific movie. Rongguang Yu has feet faster than any I have ever seen, which made for exciting battles. However, even though the storylines of the old Wu-Tang/Shaolin movies weren't rock solid, the dialogue was intense! Iron Monkey's dialogue was cheesy as best, and the plot of a pseudo-Robin Hood hero is lost after the first 20 minutes, from then on its just a free-for-all. Iron Monkey is a decent kung-fu movie if you want to see some leg-action, but if you want a true old style kung-fu movie, I suggest The Mystery of Chessboxing!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very enjoyable, well done action fest with a few laughs as well.
Fightinggoat727 September 2004
Now before I start praising this movie I would like to say that although there are a few things in common, Crouching tiger and Iron monkey are very different. OK now to get to the praising. The character "Iron Monkey" is a very cool and heroic character that is very convincing helping all these poor people get the money and shelter that they rightfully deserve. Donnie yen who us Americans most likely only know as "Snowman" from Blade 2 also stars in this great film. The action and fights that everyone is most likely seeing the movie for are everything you would expect from China or Japan (not sure where this is from) The fights are a little far-fetched but movies are not supposed to be realistic and those far-fetched things add to the fun of this very very stylish and entertaining movie. Aside from the action there is a few laughs along the way that again add to the fun of this extraneously cool film. The action is spread out at the beginning but as time presses on it becomes non-stop and it is all good. Now I must say one thing.....Some of the fights kind of get monotonous. Let me say this the repetitive nature of 2 things (kicking objects back and forth at each other and throwing stuff and kicking it before it hits them) would have DOOMED any other film but not Iron Monkey the repetitive moves are not a negative thing since it is still cool and they do kick and throw different objects each time. My Grade:A it is just another example of how China and/or Japan KNOW HOW TO MAKE GREAT MOVIES
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Kung-Fu action film, with a bit of Asian 'Robin Hood' and 'Zorro' mixed in.
TxMike24 February 2004
I had purchased the 'Crouching Tiger' DVD when it came out, it had received so much praise, and I admit I was a bit disappointed the two times I viewed it. 'Iron Monkey' however is an excellent movie from beginning to end. The title character is a Chinese doctor who 'moonlights' as the Iron Monkey, showing up when peasants are in need, and distributing wealth to the poor. Not too different from Robin Hood or Zorro. Each of the martial arts fighting scenes have something different to offer and are fun to watch. The dialog (I watched the English dubbed version, which was done very well) was funny much of the time. The big final fight scene on poles and over fire is very gripping. Overall an excellent movie for action fans.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing, Slightly Comedic, Killer Kung Fu Good Fun
Lysa_and_Rick11 March 2007
I finally saw this movie, after years of wanting to see it, and I'm glad I finally watched it. It wasn't what I was expecting, which was another martial arts epic along the lines of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but in spite of missing my expectations, it was still a FANTASTIC movie.

Reminiscent of the classic martial arts films of the past, the movie has a slightly fast-forward manic pace that ends up being rather fun. The English dubbed dialogue at first seems to have a large cheese factor, but it ends up being a good cheese, like a nice Gouda. The over-the-top laughter of the villains is GREAT! The story is good, with a bit of a Robin Hood twist, and of course, the martial arts are AMAZING. Their "Kung Fu is strong".

If a martial arts movie doesn't end up being a Crouching Tiger, or Hero, then THIS is what it should be.
excellent movie
jpac77710 February 2007
Loved the movie. Good fighting scenes. Very funny. Definitely recommend. 1st time seeing this movie. Never a dull scene. Not disappointing. Very good story. One of the best martial arts movies. Loved the movie. Good fighting scenes. Very funny. Definitely recommend. 1st time seeing this movie. Never a dull scene. Not disappointing. Very good story. One of the best martial arts movies. Loved the movie. Good fighting scenes. Very funny. Definitely recommend. 1st time seeing this movie. Never a dull scene. Not disappointing. Very good story. One of the best martial arts movies. Loved the movie. Good fighting scenes. Very funny. Definitely recommend. 1st time seeing this movie. Never a dull scene. Not disappointing. Very good story. One of the best martial arts movies.
Great performance!
M.N.11 June 2004
I saw this movie because I wanted to see more martial arts films that inspired Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill. Even Tarantino states this is one of his favorites, and I must say that I agree. Although I liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I have to say I enjoyed this one a little bit more. Somehow, the action, the characters and the storytelling is weaved together in perfect harmony. I'm not a huge fan of martial arts movies, but if Hollywood made more action films like this - where the action is such a part of the storytelling - I would definitely see more of them. Another strong point of the film is that you quickly get attached to the characters, something typical action movies rarely achieve in such short time.
Wong Fei Young
Lea_Burnley8 April 2004
After watching this film it took me a second time to watch to realise the kid was Wong Fei-Hung. All the fight scenes were crafted beautifully and reminded me of the Shaw Brothers camera work. The story was also real life to that era. The way Wong Kay-Ying (Wong Fei-Hungs Dad) tought the rights and wrongs of life and the true meaning of martial arts that it is for protection and self defence not just to see who's style is better than who's, threw this you realise why Wong Fei-Hung was so disciplined in telling all students not too fight in all films, that all the famous kung fu stars have starred in when portraying the Sifu(master) of all King Fu films. The thing that got me the most was the end battle scene, it was one of the most imaginative and best fight scenes i've scene for a while it brought back memories of my first Kung Fu film Fist Of Legend and the opening scene. i would recommend this film for any Kung Fu enthusiast.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The movie I watch again, again, again
Zack_Hobson10 December 2003
Iron Monkey (Siunin Wong Fei-Hung tsi titmalau), released in North America on the coat-tails of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, was actually made in Hong Kong in 1993. Plenty of special effects augment the fight choreography, which brings to mind Matrix and Crouching Tiger, but this film, in its simplicity, is more enjoyable to me than either of these.

I didn't realize how much I liked this movie until it came on digital cable and I watched it every chance I could get. This movie is eye candy. It's not bothersome or preachy or heavy. It's just fun to watch. And the utter absence of Hollywood is like a cool breeze on a hot summer day.
Top Notch All The Way
ejwells1 September 2003
Iron Monkey (Siunin Wong Fei-hung tsi titmalau). Made in 1993, but released in America last year by Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder Productions. Most of the idiots on IMDB consider this to be a rip-off of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But, of course, it's an inspiration for that vastly inferior film. Directed by Woo-ping Yeun (choreographer for Crouching Tiger, The Matrix, as well as director of numerous Hong Kong lensed kung fu classics), Iron Monkey is ridiculously entertaining, fast paced, comical, and at a mere 80 minutes it's almost as if it ends before it starts. The fight atop the bamboo poles at the end is worth the price of the rental. I give it a solid 4.
The real deal!
mister_pig12 June 2003
When I sit down to watch a kung-fu flick, I don't really want to see a long drawn out love story. I also have no desire to see the characters fight each other for 25 minutes to no clear victory. Crouching Tiger fails in these respects, but Iron Monkey is something else entirely.

If you want to see great kung-fu with a story basic enough to drive the action, then this is the one. I rank this right up there with the best genre movies ever made. I think of it as a kind of kung-fu Robin Hood.

If you liked Crouching Tiger, give this one a chance and you'll see what I mean.

10 out of 10
An astounding movie
rvrose27 February 2003
I was more than impressed with this film. It is told with humor and grace, as well as incredible action. Not your typical dumb kung-fu movie. It has the same appeal as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

The direction is excellent and the acting is actually good. Two things you don't see in a lot of these films. In many ways it is simply another version of the Robin Hood or Zoro. But it is a great theme to base a story upon and it works here admirably.