IMDb > Schindler's List (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Schindler's List

Schindler's List More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 134: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

One of the best movies of the past 30 years

Author: dafne-martin from United States
14 December 2015

Heart wrenching, haunting, and beautifully mastered. This movie has passed all time tests and landed as a modern classic of cinema. It plays sublimely the life of Oskar Schindler. Furthermore, it presents the best acting of Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson. The music played by John Williams is without a doubt one of his best compositions. With violins from Iztak Perlman it is an impressive modern composition. The movie last considerably long. Yet the flow of the movie is intense and moves from action to action with all due moments of silence and quiet. This movie will haunt and enrage whilst at the same time drip in compassion and love. One of a kind.

What can be said

Author: kmcanerney_2016 from United States
11 December 2015

Kubrick said that the holocaust was about six million who died, Schindler's List was about six thousand who didn't. That perfectly encapsulates the brilliance of this film. The Holocaust was the most horrific event man ever caused, nothing comes close. Somehow, Spielberg found a story of hope in the pitch black evil. That is not to say this movie is for the faint of heart. Nothing about Schindler's List is easy, it will break you but in the end the tears you shed--and you will cry--are not elicited by horror but by beauty. It is the story of a man, by no means a saint, who finds it in himself to stand up against the horrors of his day. I could write on about the acting, writing or directing, and it is all superb, but to do so would miss the point. Schindler's List excels because it has the all important fourth factor, the right stuff. I am too young to have seen it in theaters and I envy those who shared this experiences with strangers, but every time I watch this film I am left speechless. I do feel the need to right about the ending. Realizing that the evil presented in this film is of a degree we cannot fathom, Spielberg brilliantly reconnected us to reality. It was on my third viewing when it occurred to me that the little boy, the grandson of a Schindler Jew, was no more then eight years old. This would mean that he was born after Schindler died yet owes his entire existence to the man. This is the beautiful part of the story, this is what brings me to tears every damn time. Schindler's influence stretches beyond the grave. This movie was over twenty years ago, that boy is now a man, probably married, maybe with children. Schindler gave the girl a husband, the boy a father, and they never shared time on earth. This is one of the twentieth centuries most extraordinary films about one of its most extraordinary men and if it wasn't for the film, we wouldn't even know the name Oskar Schindler.

A movie you don't forget easily

Author: juu_stine from Belgium
2 November 2015

Hello everybody ! I'm going to write about a film called " La liste de Schindler " and I advise you to watch this deeply moving film! It's a real story about the genocide of the Jews. This documentary is interesting and easy to understand for people who don't know a lot about the second world war. Furthermore , actors are stunning. The leading role is played by Liam Neeson ( one of my favourite actors after Tom hanks ). I think it's not easy to act this role for him because it's such a bad and sad story but he really succeed it. This movie is for me a life lesson to remember... You have to watch it if you don't already have done it. See you soon !

What's one worth to you?

Author: sharky_55 from Australia
19 September 2015

Spielberg once stated that Schindler's List is not about the millions that were killed during the Holocaust, but rather about the one thousand that were saved. It's a very important thing to consider when looking at some of the criticisms levelled at this great film. There have been documentaries that have attempted to capture the atrocities of the Holocaust but even so none come close to the unflinching and systematic mass murder of the event. Schindler's List doesn't attempt to provide an substantial and unbiased view of it. It is a story about one man in particular and his absolute good.

Even so, the film does attempt to place itself within the reality of the events and create some sense of authenticity. Apart from the powerful bookends which are drenched in colour, the black and white documentary approach serves its agelessness and heightens the intensity of some scenes; the first look we get at the enigma of Oskar Schindler, catch-lights hitting his twinkling eyes at the party, or when a little boy attempts to hide in the underground box full of sewerage. Hand- held is also used intensively and to great effect - the rounding up of naked Jews, the extended liquidation scene, scrambling around the camp in madness in avoiding a psychopath with a sniper rifle. Spielberg doesn't overdose the film with visual tricks but shows it for what it is (the lack of storyboarding aided this), making those little touches all the more effective - quick match cuts to show the various inept secretaries that are hired anyway, Kingley's distant voice-over as Goeth executes lined up boys silently and mercilessly, and the most powerful motif of them all, the girl in the red coat, a symbol of innocence lost and atrocity committed.

There are two exceptional performances here. The first is of course Neeson, who brings to the table a great charisma and pragmaticism that later dissolves into sympathy and great courage. We first are charmed like the German officers at the party (I love the great touch of the officer moving forward to get closer to Oskar in the photo, obscuring the pretty girl he was initially wooing), and through voice-over and a photo we receive those charms again through the lavish gifts of champagne, caviar and sardines. Spielberg does not create a moment of realisation or change; it is a gradual and subtle process that Oskar goes through. He is not the morally pure and idealistic man we look for in a Hollywood production such as this - he initially hires an entire group of secretaries not to save them, but to further his womanising and marital affairs, and when a one-armed man comes to thank him for saving his life, Neeson's face is struck and visibly confused; we wonder if he has ever been the receiver of such sincerity and gratitude. But that changes when he realises the gravity of the situation ("He was a metal press operator"). Oskar's front is of course the affable German business man, concerned only about profit, but in glimpses he shows his true humanity and courage in front of the Nazis: a long kiss on his birthday, a determination to see worker's thirsts quenched, and in that final teary-eyed heart wrenching monologue, a complete reversal of his ambitions. John Williams' iconic violin theme is stirring and most evident here.

The other is Fiennes' Goeth, who takes a despicable monster and adds tiny tinges of humanity that make his character all the more terrifying. His introduction is telling, a faceless POV in the back of the car before we reveal him, not some intimidating figure, but an irritated man with a cold: "Ja, why is the top down? I'm f*cking freezing." Another one of these moments is a brilliant scene where he corners Helen in the baseless, shivering and terrified. Goeth ignores this, constructing a rather tender conversation in his mind, and we witness a insatiable conflict in his mind, unbelieving that he has fallen for a "jew bitch". He almost gives in, but his Nazi sensibilities come back to him and he strikes her. This segment is brilliantly inter cut with kisses of another location, the modest Jewish wedding and the lavish birthday party where Oskar kisses many. This man is truly barbaric, and even a clever appeal to his ego from Oskar ("I pardon you.") does not satisfy his cold murderous streak. What Fiennes does is give us a tiny bit of insight into a man like Goeth, because to us it seems inexplicable that such a man could do such sadistic things and be instrumental in genocide. And so, he loses Helen over a game of 21. They bargain over the life of these essential jew workers, and Goeth's question to Schindler is perhaps a moment of realisation of what he must do.

One little moment in the montage of compiling the list is a overlooked appearance from another Righteous Among the Nations, Julius Madritsch, who save thousands of Jews himself. I am struck by how his story and many others could similarly be rightfully portrayed as a compelling act of bravery in the face of such evil, much like Oskar Schindler's. His story was almost never told; a fateful encounter between writer Thomas Keneally and a Schindler's Jew in Poldek Pfefferberg was the basis of a book and later this film. Pfefferberg's own words are particularly telling about this great man: "Schindler gave me my life, and I tried to give him immortality." And in this film, he has achieved it.

The Master of Film pours his heart out in this heartbreaking and unforgiving memento for the surviving Jews!

Author: Riddler2 from United Kingdom
1 August 2015

Steven Spielberg had already made Jurassic Park and blown us all away with the groundbreaking dinosaurs with Schindler's List he makes not a film but a memento a life lesson a historic important landmark a teaching resource which teaches the world about the Holocaust and the horrors it unleashed upon innocent people innocent people who did not deserve what they had to suffer through for no reason! I will tell you a story about how I discovered this landmark Masterpiece At School recently My teacher Simon Strange was teaching us all about the Holocaust and explaining what happened all those years ago and showed us a video and spoke in great detail about hatred and intolerance and crimes against humanity and he spoke to me and said I will never forget this conversation I know You love Steven Spielberg's Films very Much? I certainly do I said Have You seen Schindler's List Before? No I said I am too scared to watch it because of the subject matter I urge you to see this film Simon said to me I can't show this to you in school because it shows graphic imagery and things I can't show you but you need see this film now and all you need is a quiet room no distractions just peace and quiet and so I went home had Dinner watched the whole 3 hours and 15 minute film and I was speechless I could not speak even at the end I sat through the credits stunned at the horrors I saw on the screen the crimes and the hatred of the Nazis really affected me and I sat through the credits and after the credits had finished I cried I genuinely for 20 to 30 minutes because that was all I could do cry my emotions poured out of my heart and there was nothing I could do that was it tears were flowing down my face like a river because I felt angry that there was nothing I could do to prevent the Holocaust from happening it happened tragically and the film teaches us all about Intolerance Hatred and humanistic crimes of such appalling nature and how we all can overcome the horrors we face despite all the odds have been thrown against us I have never seen a more Important film in my life I Have never cried that much in my whole life after experiencing a film I still do now It happened again having just finished it an hour ago for this review I just can't believe the experience the film has given me every time I see it an emotional, empowering, important one! This is the Greatest film ever made hands down I am just speechless Words fail me I can't say anymore Just watch this film if you have Not already just experience it You need to seriously I nearly did not see this memento to the surviving Jews I am so relieved that I did and I thank Steven Spielberg and John Williams just thank you and to the surviving Jews thank you for telling us your story thank you very much! This review is dedicated to the 6 million Jews murdered!

A Conversation That Probably Didn't Happen

Author: Emily Ocean from United States
11 July 2015

Though I rather like to think it did.

There is a moment at the end of the movie where Oskar is about to leave in order to escape being arrested. He is surrounded by the Jews and is accompanied of course by his wife.

The dialogue is as such (according to the quotes page):

Oskar Schindler: I could have got more out. I could have got more. I don't know. If I'd just... I could have got more.

Itzhak Stern: Oskar, there are eleven hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them.

Oskar Schindler: If I'd made more money... I threw away so much money. You have no idea. If I'd just...

Itzhak Stern: There will be generations because of what you did.

Oskar Schindler: I didn't do enough!

Itzhak Stern: You did so much.

*Schindler looks at his car*

Oskar Schindler: This car. Goeth would have bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people right there. Ten people. Ten more people.

*removing Nazi pin from lapel*

Oskar Schindler: This pin. Two people.This is gold. Two more people. He would have given me two for it, at least one. One more person. A person, Stern. For this.

*sobbing*

Oskar Schindler: I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!

~

It is during this moment that Oskar appears to have a moment of so much regret and remorse and yet, you can't help but think--Oskar, you did something! You did something more than so many people bothered to do.

And that is better than doing nothing at all, no?

So, I give this movie (though it is a ruthlessly manipulative Spielberg adaptation) ten stars, for this scene more than any other scene in the entire film.

I do not know (and to some extent highly doubt) whether this conversation actually took place.

But despite the fact that I know deep down it probably did not, I like to imagine it did. And I like to imagine that even if it didn't, the emotion behind it was present during the actual event that this scene portrays.

It is this that makes me feel as though this movie deserves the ten star rating. This scene alone. Even if it is perhaps the most manipulative scene in the entire film, I can not describe how deeply I love this scene. How much I cried over this scene.

Again, I realize this is the talking-down-to-the-audience technique so often seen in such big blockbuster historical non-fiction films like this, but I can not help but feel so much for just this one particular moment and I guess I can not explain why. I hope that the quote itself explains it enough.

And I hope whoever sees or has seen this movie will perhaps understand why this scene is so important.

At the present time I am in the process of reading the book from which this movie is adapted and eventually perhaps I will see the documentary.

But for now, this is something.

Oskar, you did something!

Every actor was awesome, also helped along with the real survivors of Schilder's List on-set helping the movie become as real as possible.

Author: CherylNewmanAndCheriNickens from United States
13 June 2015

This movie is real! The holocaust did happen! Watching it in a theatre for the for first time, the audience was completely silent as the credits rolled at the end with only a few leaving. When I composed myself enough to get to the car, I burst out crying. My grandfather escaped the Warsaw ghetto (he died shortly after I was born). My father who was older than my mother, grew up, in part, in a Japanese prison camp and was stamped (he went away when I was 10). So while you'd think I'd know more about my heritage and all my family killed in Poland by the Germans, I do not. I only heard bits and pieces. So when I saw it come together in a way that only Stephen Spielberg can do, it hit me--hard. My family endured this and only a few survived. I believe regardless of heritage, that everyone should see this film to know what could happen in the future-again. The fact is, it is happening today in North Korea where daily acts of unspeakable cruelty happen. It's a must see film for the acting, the authenticity and the truth. NEVER FORGET!

Never forget!

Author: sisand58 from Denmark
8 June 2015

The best film ever ~ a terrible time in World History that we never never ever forget! The millions of fates touches me to tears every time I see the movie and listens to the Soundtrack-01 Theme by John Williams from Schindler's List. Liam Neeson,Ben Kingsley,Embeth Davidtz and all the other Actor's performanc is just outstanding! The Schindler's List Soundtrack-08 Auschwitz-Birkenau by Ellijah De Leon gives me the shiver, because while listening to this, I can feel the agony and torture of the Jews that never deserved to suffer so horribly ~ without the World doing enough. So~I can not say it enough ~ Always Always remember and honor the millions because their fate deserves to be told! "He who saves one life saves the world entire!" Talmud!

Oscar Schindler's legacy

Author: renardariel from United States
5 June 2015

This movie explains what happened to so many of the Jews during World War II. It takes an inside look at what really happened while they were in the camps. Also, how disrespect to any German soldier or any one that was loyal to Hitler resulted in extreme punishment. Extreme punishments such as death were not uncommon. Schindler, in the beginning, was only trying to make money. As the war went on he realized what was really going on in the factor. As he grew closer to his workers in his factory, he didn't want to make money anymore, he just wanted to save them from the death of the war. He began to spend the money he had to buy the workers back from the camps and tried to save as many as possible, he became broke by the end of the war. Before leaving his workers at he end of the war, he cried because he felt guilty because he felt like if he sold his car and some of his belongings, he cold have saved even more lives. Oscar Schindler, was known as a savior to the Jews during and long after the war.

Masterpiece. Does it even need saying?

Author: giligara30492 from Bogotá, Colombia
15 May 2015

Precious little to say about this masterpiece. It depicts everything with raw, meticulous, explicit simplicity -- the unthinkable suffering of the Jewish people, the inhuman cruelty of their oppressors, the heroism of some and cowardice of others... It is the perfect juxtaposition of the very depths atrocity and the light of kindness and empathy and altruism and hope. "I could have saved one more." Gets me every time. Liam Neeson did Schindler justice. We see the compassion develop in his face and it is amazing. In short, you cannot die without watching this film. P.S. Itzhak Perlman is my idol and to have John Williams come up with the music for him was sheer magic.