IMDb > Schindler's List (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Schindler's List

Schindler's List More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 131: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Schindler's list review.

Author: DumitruGeorge
18 March 2014

Talking about the incident that changed the face of humanity for ever is not the easiest thing to do. There are lots of ways a story can go wrong, especially when you subject is World War II. Even so, Schindler's list manages to keep the politics away as much as possible and to bring you a story that is thrilling, exciting and most of all scary.

Your jaw will drop when you see through what horrors the humanity went through in World War II. It is very graphic and this is the reason after all. It treats you like an adult who understands pain and fear.

From the first moment you will understand what it is to live in Europe during wartime. You will see greed, despair, hatred and much more. People trying to stay alive while others are trying to make piles of money out of it.

One major aspect is that nobody is perfect. Not a single person is presented to be completely soulless or some angel, but instead in a shady gray. Everybody will get what they deserve and this shows you how important are your life choices and how important is to preserve our humanity against the times we are leaving. It is not about religion or beliefs, but how we treat each other.

Through this movie you're staying in the first row of a history lesson which meticulously teaches you how important your life really is and how many died before, for you to have the life you have. There is not an exact word to express this movie, but it is for sure a good reminder of what hateful and merciless times our predecessors endured.

Mindblowing

Author: lukaswernig from Austria
12 February 2014

I just watched this movie recently, after postponing it for years and years. 3 1/2 hours or so just seemed to daunting.

I am glad I did finally watch it with my roommate. We both thought it was the best film by Steven Spielberg by far and easily one of the best movies ever made.

All the performances were top notch and it tells an important part of our history which many people do not even know about. It is brutal, it shows people getting executed, huge piles of bodies being burnt and much much more. It made me as well as my roommate tear up several times and it became harder and harder to hold the tears back as we both would have sobbed without being able to stop.

The end is also very emotional when Liam Neeson's character, Schindler, realizes he could have saved many more lives if he had not spent so much of his money. The film ends with the actual survivors visiting Oskar Schindler's grave and paying tribute to his unforgettable achievements once again.

Unfortunately I can only give this masterpiece only 10 out of 10 points. There are not enough stars to give to this movie.

Spielberg' Finest Artistic Achievement

Author: Theflyace from United States
7 February 2014

Candles slowly burn during the Shabbat in a Jewish household. After many hours of burning and illumination, the flame goes out and gives off ominously rising smoke and reveals the black and white image that snuck in as the candles shrunk. Such is the tone that is set for the rest of the film Schindler's List, Steven Spielberg's tribute/justice to the millions of Jewish people slaughtered during the Holocaust.

This particular chapter of the Holocaust is the portrait of the mysterious Oskar Schindler, and his actions during the war in Poland. We see him begin as an opportunist businessman, who wines and dines with the Nazi higher ups in exchange to receive funding for a factory he wishes to profit from. For both parties, Jews are considered "cheap labor," therefore Schindler hires Itzhak Stern to handle rounding up a workforce in his new factory. Stern is really trying to save as many people as the "Herr Direktor" will allow from certain death. Over the course of the film, something changes in Schindler that drives him to save "his Jews" because he begins to realize the atrocities being committed around him, and that he must make a difference, even at the risk of losing his life in the process.

Every actor in this film is perfect, no matter how big or small the role is. Liam Neeson gives his best work here as the complicated Schindler. It could have been a stereotypical "revelation" motivated performance, but Neeson never condescends to a perfunctory level. He is complimented in his performance by Ben Kingsley as the loyal and determined Stern. The actor who steals the film is Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth. He, like Neeson, has the hardest task of any actor, to give humanity to someone who is morally reprehensible on paper. His is one of those performances that was robbed of the recognition it deserved.

Much like the film The Shawshank Redemption, this film delves into the souls of the people in the middle of a dark situation. Schindler himself is an enigma. here we have a man who begins thinking about only himself and his money, but realizes what his actions mean in the big picture of what's going on. As the film progresses, he begins to care about the people he has saved, and pours every ounce of energy and every cent of his money to make sure that they do not suffer the same fate as those who couldn't be saved. The character of Stern acts as his moral compass, convincing his boss that what he is doing is right. He does not always agree with his boss' logic, but works to make sure no one is killed or taken away to the ovens. The evil incarnate character Amon Goeth, is also conflicted by his feelings about this whole affair for one reason. He too hates the Jews with a brainwashed passion, but ironically falls in love with his Jewish housemaid. He struggles to come to terms with this fact while still managing to shoot Jews at random for sport.

Director Steven Spielberg and writer Steve Zaillian take a really smart approach to the material, by not making the characters one-dimensional or motivated by a cheap cliché. We are never really clued into what makes Schindler change his mind about his workers until the very end of the film, which is a brilliant storytelling masterstroke.

There is absolutely nothing glamorous at all in this film, which lends its greater sense of verisimilitude. The cinematography is in black-and-white, as it should be. If it had been in color, it would have been all wrong. Spielberg and Janusz Kaminski shoot this like a documentary, lending itself to far more realistic shots and actions than a straightforward drama. The violence is truly gut-wrenching and sickening, but again, it is an accurate view of what happened in real life. The disturbing image of bodies burning and the billowing smoke from the Auschwitz chimney won't leave one's mind for years after seeing this film. The girl in the red coat is the most haunting image from the film, as the filmmakers wished to convey the confusion of how people didn't even know this was happening, even though it "stuck out like a girl wearing a red coat." Spielberg knew just when to add color to the film, the moments when there is true despair or hope at the end of the film

This film is made all the more haunting because of the first-rate score by John Williams. Backed with the violinist Itzhak Perlman, Williams delivers one of the best scores in eternity, and one that is never overblown. Both use their beauty to convey a dark passage in history, but most importantly, to highlight the success of the people saved.

At a first glance, it would seem Spielberg was the wrong man to make this film, as his focus in his early career was on entertainment films and escapist images. With this film, we see him blossom into a true artist. He does not mince images or words in this film whatsoever. He presents the events depicted like it was, stark and hopeless. Spielberg so poured his heart into this material that it was reported that he sobbed every day during filming, but wouldn't relent in telling this story. This film is the greatest achievement in his career, not only in terms of Oscars and recognition, but his transformation as an artist.

Great, touching movie

Author: felicia killian from United States
1 February 2014

Short & sweet: It's Realistic. It's Heart-wrenching. It's dramatic. It's honest. It connects you to the protagonist's character.

When Oskar exclaims in misery that he could've helped more, could've done more, looks at the ring on his finger, and almost falls the the ground, it makes you cry. You wish you could've yourself done more, even though you weren't there. Liam Neeson is amazing in this movie. I don't cry often. Yet, this movie takes you through such a story, and makes you imagine yourself in this time and place, wishing you could do more. I like when a drama still has enough suspense combined with plot, character development, that it pulls at you from several angles. This is well- thought out and remains at the top of my list today.

One of the Greatest Film of All Time, A film for all to see....and learn.

Author: krishna0000725 from India
20 January 2014

The most amazing thing about this film is that it was not made to be an epic or an acclaimed film. Spielberg made it as a personal film for himself and other Jews affected by the Holocaust. There is nothing flashy about the film except for Neeson's bravura performance. Spielberg's usual style is invisible, and the cinematography and editing, although excellent, are not shown off to make a spectacle of the film or give it an epic feel. Yet it is still a compulsive, involving, and utterly heart-wrenchingly moving filming of a part of history that should not be forgotten. The screenplay is one of the best ever written: it captures the stories of so many Holocaust survivors but without distracting from the main story at hand. The black and white photography and editing is perfect, and John Williams provides a perfectly subtle but nice music score. The acting is simply brilliant, with Liam Neeson towering as Oskar Schindler, and Ralph Fiennes bringing out the Nazi character Amon Goeth into full flesh. And Ben Kingsley and Embeth Davidtz give off excellent performances too. The film also has a lot to say about absolute power corrupting and spiraling out of control, and such a message of the film can be applied to any time and crisis, not just the Holocaust. This is not just one of the the ten best films ever produced, but it shall remain so for years to come, because its messages in terms of power and racism are applicable in any age.

"Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire."

Author: Manuel Josh Rivera
15 January 2014

"Schindler's List" is described as a film about the Holocaust, but the Holocaust supplies the field for the story, rather than the subject. The film is really two parallel character studies--one of a con man, the other of a psychopath. Oskar Schindler, who swindles the Third Reich, and Amon Goeth, who represents its pure evil, are men created by the opportunities of war.

In telling their stories, Steven Spielberg found a way to approach the Holocaust, which is a subject too vast and tragic to be encompassed in any reasonable way by fiction. In the ruins of the saddest story of the century, he found, not a happy ending, but at least one affirming that resistance to evil is possible and can succeed. In the face of the Nazi charnel houses, it is a statement that has to be made, or we sink into despair.

What is most amazing about this film is how completely Spielberg serves his story. The movie is brilliantly acted, written, directed and seen. Individual scenes are masterpieces of art direction, cinematography, special effects, crowd control. Yet Spielberg, the stylist whose films often have gloried in shots we are intended to notice and remember, disappears into his work.

A must see of any type of film fan.

Author: Antonio Cani from North of England.
3 January 2014

This film is simply brilliant. Made in a very honest, down to earth kind of way. Its music is brilliant. Done by the fantastic John Williams. It is also in my opinion Liam Neesons best role of his career. The film is shot brilliantly and is serene in black and white. Spielberg is truly a film genius.

If you haven't seen this film for any reason, give it a chance. It is a master piece. You wont regret it giving it a chance.

I know people who are not really fans of history but they give this film a chance and loved. I know chick flick loving girls who adore this film. So you see it truly is one for everyone.

Most shocking movie, and the most wonderful as well...

Author: Antonis Karvelas from Greece
2 January 2014

There are no words able to describe this movie and where it excels. I could say about the amazing acting, the convincing environments etc. but again I wouldn't even touch the tip of the iceberg(did I get that expression right? I hope so...). It was the first 3 hour long movie that I didn't get bored not even a little(even in LOTR I get a bit tired after 2-3 hours!) and, even though 99.99% of it is in black and white, which at first seemed uncomfortable, when I saw the little girl with the red coat I almost broke into tears, even though I rarely cry even for my own misfortunes (after that, for some reason, the colors didn't bother me at all). Anyway, I don't want to start writing silly things a spoil this movie entirely so, to sum it up, watch it and I promise you, you won't regret it. Now, I'm sorry, I have to go. I'm gonna watch it one more time...

heart touching filim nice making

Author: saruncr from Bangalore
2 January 2014

after watching this felt like we were there in some corners in second world war.A very beautiful, epic and dark story about courage and the desire of living, a masterpiece made by Steven Spielberg this is one of those films which if you didn't like it, you have got no heart.Because this film touches us so deeply, the catharsis has a power that few -- if any -- other moments in film history can match. And that's what establishes this as a transcendent motion picture experience.The film's ending brings me to tears. At the end of the war, Schindler's Jews are in a strange land--stranded, but alive. A member of the liberating Russian forces asks them, "Isn't a town over there?" and they walk off toward the horizon. The next shot fades from black and white into color. At first we think it may be a continuation of the previous action, until we see that the men and women on the crest of the hill are dressed differently now. And then it strikes us, with the force of a blow: Those are Schindler's Jews. We are looking at the actual survivors and their children as they visit Oskar Schindler's grave. The movie began with a list of Jews being confined to the ghetto. It ends with a list of some who were saved. The list is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.

Schindler's List

Author: JenniLynne77 from United States
1 January 2014

Oskar Schindler is a business man who decides to take advantage of the war to make money... He starts out making pots and pans eventually growing fond of the Jews he has working for him.... As the war goes on he goes from making pots and pans to ammunition.... He is well liked by the Nazis and the Jews who work for him... He eventually becomes known to the Jewish community as the Saviour of the Jews because of the list his clerk makes.... He does become a rich man until the end of the movie, where he ends up broke because he spent all his money to get more and more Jews on the list of people who work for him... It's a wonderful movie that tells a story about the Holocaust and I recommend watching it....