IMDb > The Sandlot (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Sandlot

The Sandlot More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Best kids movie

Author: djskuld from Wisconsin
14 August 2003

True this is a kids movie....I am now 23 and been watching this movie for years. It's a great movie and well worth watching... I would recommend it to anyone.....Infact im watching as I write this.. Thus is why im here...to comment on this great movie....

how could I forget...

Author: whoTheFuqRyou from NYC
9 August 2003

there is no way I'll ever forget this movie as it was a quick favorite when I was 12; A cool and fun movie about some youngsters who lose a Babe Ruth autographed ball when they hit it over a fence - but what standing between them and the one ball is a somewhat vicious St. Bernard that thwarts every last one of the boys' attempts to get the ball back. also this movie has one hella fun dog chase that I still get a kick out of watching...

watching this brings back memories the good old days, a feel good movie that is very watchable

Good Review

Author: rdsaal from Illinois
12 July 2003

When I was a kid, baseball ruled. When the sun came up, we went outside and played baseball. When the sun went down, my mom had to drag me into the house. If we had two players, we had a game. If we had 12 players, we had a game. Problem was, we didn't have too many nice baseballs. Hit the ball into a gutter or lose it in a cornfield and the day was ruined.

Today, I'm 35 with two boys. Baseball still rules. Sun-up to sundown. If you were an American boy, you'll love this movie. Every scene, every line happened in my life, and I'll bet, yours too.

A Great Growing Up Movie

Author: Crazy4131 from Pennsylvania
14 June 2003

I grew up with this movie when I was a kid. Around my school there's practically a cult following. There, if you go up to someone and say "you're killin' me Smalls!" or call someone an "L 7 WEENIE," and tell someone that it will take "FOR-E-VER," the person will more than likely start laughing and know exactly what you're talking about. It's one of the movies that I, and many other teenagers in my school, will never forget. Its one of the best parts of our childhood. However, I feel as though if you did not grow up with this movie, you will never truely appreciate it for it's greatness. Basically, they just dont make movies like this anyone. Pure classic.

Remember When

Author: (starhuea) from Las Vegas
31 May 2003

Remember when episodes in your life were more than merely what they were? When everything was live or die? When pure passion was all that you lived on?

This is a movie about those times, and yet, it's something more. At the age of 10-12, every moment that we live seems like it will last forever, and there is no sense of repercussion for your actions. In this film, there are times when you want to bury your face in your hands because you can remember something from your own childhood that this film relates to.

This film is about that simple time between childhood and adulthood. That time when you believed that shoes could actually make you run faster. Or that the dog just beyond that next fence was actually a huge monster just waiting to kill you. Those stories that your friends sat you down and told you about that, in retrospect, you should have known better, but believed anyway, just because you chose to.

Scenes in this film bring back memories of a childhood that was once so real, so vivid, and yet, so distant. While children can relate to this film, because the main characters in the film could be kids that they know, parents can relate to this film as well, because there are situations that we all went through, in one way or another. The loss of innocence, the connection with our parents on a "real" level, the final realization of the vast difference between reality, and that which your friends have sworn is true.

As you sit down to watch this film, be prepared to venture back into your own childhood, as that is what this film is really all about. This film is about each of our childhoods, told through the eyes of the narrator. About the friends that we held dear, and about how we grew together just by being a part of something, together.

Oh, and baseball plays a pretty good roll in the film as well. 9 boys who are drawn together by one thing, baseball. It is through these nine boys that we all find identification.

There are some great supporting roles by the likes of Dennis Leary (surprisingly restrained, actually acting even), Karen Allen, and James Earl Jones (who becomes the oracle of baseball, taking in the two kids who will eventually spend the rest of their lives around baseball).

This film is one of the many movies that was mismarketed. This is a film for all ages. Adults shunned it because it was labeled a "kids movie", and kids shunned it because it wasn't a cartoon. Fact is, this is one of the few films that both parents and kids can sit down and watch together and derive completely different satisfaction from. This is one of those films that I can't wait to share with my children, when they get old enough to understand it, like maybe 7 or 8.

Classic- the "Now and Then" for guys

Author: Missy (broadway309)
27 May 2003

"The Sandlot" is one of those rare family movies that seriously has something for everyone. Parents can find many similarities to their own childhood because the movie stays true to its 1962 setting. Kids love everything from the baseball practices to the big chase scene. Even teens have to laugh at the part when Squints lays one on Wendy. There are so many scenes that are simply classic; there us no other word for it. "The Sandlot" is a well cast, well portrayed, and overall well done and enjoyable movie. Viewers who may have been disappointed with "Now and Then"- a film about female childhood in the 1960's- may be quite pleased with this one.

A Classic!

Author: Tomas T. (AHSMoss@aol.com) from ABQ, New Mexico
20 May 2003

The Sandlot is one of the best movies ever made! It joins the rankings of such kid classics as The Goonies, The Neverending Story, and A Christmas Story. When I watch this film, it brings memories of my childhood! It is a great movie for kids as well as adults! A MUST SEE!

Fun, Friendship, and Baseball

Author: Pat McCurry (acehighpat@aol.com) from Wilton, NH
3 May 2003

I love this movie. First of all, it's perfect for the family who want to watch a great film without all of that Disney aftertaste. I saw it when it premered on cable back in '93. I loved it because of the simplicity of the premise. It captures the era perfectly of 60s California baseball fever (aside the from the fact it was filmed in Utah lol). The character of Benny was a suprise since he has that 'cool jock' look, but doesn't act like that at all. He doesn't make fun of Scotty (our main character and narrator) because of his lack of athletic ability. Instead, he gives Scotty some simple advice: Have fun. With that (and a pop up from Benny), he is accepted as part of the team. I can mention many moments I like from the film that range from the guys defeating the school team to Squints lusting after his dreamgirl to the final fates of the two main characters (which makes me smile). The small parts of Denis Leary, Karen Allen, and especially, James Earl Jones are nice too. Just a fun film, period.

The ultimate boys of summer movie

Author: da_flipboy from Hamilton, Ontario
18 April 2003

Remember that time you followed the train tracks to find a dead body? How about the time you were part of a ragtag bunch of misfit baseballers who win their division titles despite everyone's expectations? Or how about hitchhiking cross-country to stop that movie about you and your hetero life mate from being made? Now those are all good concepts for great movies, but how about a movie you can actually relate to?

The Sandlot is just that.

It's one summer spent in the lives of 9 friends who play baseball in, well, a sandlot. They don't keep score. There's no ultimate prize. They just play for the absolute love of the game. Bored? Don't be.

What's great about this movie is that it takes 'little' events that any one of us have experienced and turns them into the full-fledged awesome adventures they seemed to be when we were that age. A visit to the local public pool, a challenge from the local snobby kids, and the retrieval of a baseball are typical unexciting sounding events any of us have experienced. However, when you add to the story,"I remember this one time when me and my friends..." a flood of emotion and memories are sure to follow.

Child actors take note: Whether its good direction, good writing or good acting, this wouldn't have worked if the kids weren't believable. The greatest honour they could ever give this great movie is never attempting a sequel.

"You're killing me, Smalls!"

da_flipboy

A "must have" movie to add to your collection!

Author: traildraft from San Diego, CA
26 February 2003

If this isn't "the greatest" baseball movie, it's definitely a close runner up. I first saw this movie as it opened in theatres. When I came out of the theatre, I felt like I had just seen a Disney flick. It was a great feel good movie. I just purchased this movie and my wife saw it for the first time. She really enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. If by watching this movie, doesn't conjure up any emotions, your not human.