IMDb > The Sandlot (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Sandlot

The Sandlot More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

One of the best movies of all time!!

Author: dazza_drums1 from Australia
4 January 2006

The Sandot Kids as it was known to me,would have to be one of the all time great movies.For it's simple and happy way of telling the story of our youth(although i am Australian and don't really follow baseball)it has a special quality about it.I recently viewed the Sandlot 2 and was not really drawn to it like the original as i kept finding myself trying to compare the story to the first movie.Once my kids were old enough to watch it with me,all i hear is the memorable lines from the movie constantly shouted at me in the backyard.My two kids always repeat the scene in the tree house where the guys have a sleepover and tell the story about the beast and how to roast a marshmallow and place it on a biscuit with the chocolate.It totally cracks me up and will always cherish this film as i think in this day and age we all need to step back and rediscover the little things that were important to us all as we grew up and this film is all of that. In a nutshell,even an Aussie like me at age 36 still gets a kick out of this most wonderful movie.It should be put away for future generations to share and enjoy just as i have with my two kids.The Best.

Regards, Darren Martens,Victoria,Australia.

Feel good factor film

Author: matthew_8 from United Kingdom
30 December 2005

I caught this movie over the Christmas holidays and i can happily say that i thoroughly enjoyed it. Basically its a movie about a bunch of kids playing baseball over there school summer break. They play and hang out at there own field called 'The Sandlot'. Well, what i enjoyed the most was watching a good mix of young actors really just enjoying them selves, it was if there weren't any cameras filming to them in their eyes, they were kids being kids, the normal banter you see with boys their ages. It really hit home how much i missed being that age and that care free watching this movie, but it also gave me a great sense of happiness just to see these boys being the way i was with my friends back in the day. I would recommend this as a great family film for all to enjoy. A real feel good factor movie.

Baseball classic of a lasting summer

Author: Andreas Niedermayer (leeds1@gmx.at) from Klagenfurt, Austria
9 November 2005

Folks, a classic. Get this one and see it. It is a charming movie about a bunch of kids who have a lot of fun in their "sandlot", about Babe Ruth, about "the beast" and about friendship. Tom Guiry as Scotty Smalls is marvellous and very smart in here. I love his character, he makes this movie special.

Mom: "Honey, I want you to make some friends this summer, lots of them." Smalls: "Yeah, I know. But I'm not good at anything, mom. Face it, I'm just an egghead."

Want some more?

Benny: "Anyone who wants to be a can't-hack-it pantywaist who wears their mama's bra, raise your hand." (Everyone raises their hands)

Ham Porter: "You know, if my dog were as ugly as you, I'd shave his butt and tell him to walk backwards."

Gorgeous!

A must have

Author: matt mccourt from United States
9 November 2005

Does anybody know where this was filmed ???? This is the times that I grew up in as well. Every neighborhood had a sandlot. We were always digging for change to pitch in as a whole and buy for the better of the group. Baseball was Everything to us. Every neighborhood had that one monster of a dog, and bicycles had real seats to sit on. Yeah, this movie took me back to the old block. This is a must have for any collection. It doesn't matter if you are a action lover or a drama watcher or a horror flick buff, you will relate to this movie. Unless you never had a childhood at all. I purchased this movie at our local video store rental mecca for the stealing price of 2.99. So what if it had been viewed by others. I'm sure that every time this DVD was spun, it generated smiles and laughter. And it still does.

Great baseball and kids movie

Author: Stanley Strangelove from Portland, Oregon US
23 August 2005

If you liked "A Christmas Story" you'll like this movie. It's a really good kid's movie. Parents will also like it.

Scotty Smalls (Tom Guiry) moves to a new town where the kids play baseball all summer. Smalls has never learned to throw a ball so he asks his step dad (Denis Leary) who is a baseball nut to teach him so he can play with the other kids. The star of the pick-up team is Rodriquez and he's really the only kid who can play. The other kids idolize Rodriquez. The sandlot home run fence in left field is a no man's land and any ball that's hit over it disappears forever because "The Beast" lives there.

The kids have a clubhouse in a tree. Their characters are all funny with nicknames: Repeat, Yeah-yeah, Squints and Ham.

James Earl Jones and Karen Allen are also in the film.

Great Baseball Film

Author: JMoviebuff0001 from United States
23 August 2005

The Sandlot is a great baseball film, even though throughout the film the games take place at a Sandlot and not any major league stadiums *spoiler* until the end of the film with the adult Benny playing for the LA Dodgers.

This is a great family film showing the love for America's past time game of Baseball. The film is about a new kid, Scotty Smalls, who moves to a new town where he knows nobody. He follows Benny to the Sandlot, looking to fit in, of course his hopes of fitting in are quickly shattered after an embarrassing attempt to throw the ball back to the infield.

However despite the team's disliking of Scotty, Benny decides to convince Scotty to come back and be apart of the team since they are a player short of having a complete team. The result, Scotty becomes more liked by the team as Benny helps him learn how to play.

The rest of the film is entertainment and fun from Squints infamous drowning act to the boys first experience with Chewing Tobacco to the final showdown with "The Beast".

The side story of "the beast" is good, a very interesting way of showing why the boys cannot retrieve their baseballs after each is hit into Mr.Mertle's yard. Its something that most kids face, hitting their baseballs into someone else's yard, hearing bad stories about the person that lives in that house and fearing that person. But as Mr.Mertle says in the movie "Why didn't you just knock on the door? I'da gotten it for ya." Which shows that not all people won't be mean and release "the beast" on you, some could be a jolly fun spirited person like Mr.Mertle.

Oh, and you gotta have that other team that thinks they are better than your team. A showdown of a real team and the Sandlot kids ensues at one point in the movie, just to prove that the Sandlot kids can kick butt even if they are not a real team.

The movie was well done, very enjoyable for people of all ages. There should never have been a sequel however fans of this movie are let down. I'd recommend watching this one only and pretend the sequel does not exist cause the sequel is pretty much a remake of this one.

out of this world

Author: flamingflamingo08 from United States
22 June 2005

I usually don't like movies about sports but this movie was out of this world. its the best movie I've seen in a long time. this is one of those movies where if your having a bad day it will make u feel ten times better. i would recommend this movie for probably anyone, even if you don't like sports movies i guarantee you'll love this movie. and anyone can watch it. its very appropriate for kids of all ages. i think even parents should watch it too. it would make a GREAT Friday night family movie.as i said before even though ur probably not a sports fan like me its a great movie. the reason i rented it was because i was bored and didn't know what to get. i heard it was a really good movie so i decided just to get it and see what it was about. i never expected it to be so good. i really do recommend this movie for anyone and everyone to watch.

a good movie to watch on ABC on a Saturday...

Author: theguys1 from Pennsylvania, US
19 June 2005

Overall, David M. Evans' The Sandlot is a very pleasing picture, and it includes humor. It will keep you laughing and entertained, and it comes with a great assortment of hilarious characters. A group of nine kids accidentally bat a Babe Ruth baseball into a yard with a demonic Saint Bernard and they try several attempts to get it back. This isn't an award winning movie, but it has a good storyline and it's a nice family get together thing. I want to be able to say something different than in my other comments, where I wrote, "It was a fantastic movie, go see it now." All I can really say is that it wins hearts of those who watch it, and if you do watch it you'll have a fun time.

Do you love it?

Author: Shleeee from Canada
16 May 2005

I certainly do! This is one of the first movies I saw when I was younger. My Dad was crazy about it and would always watch it with me. I remember when I was seven years old and fell down the stair and broke my arm. My Dad rented it for me everyday until eventually he made it a "keeper" (he purchased a copy for me). Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez was definitely my first crush. His handsome dark features are outstanding. Even when I watch the movie now I get a weird squishy feeling in my tummy when I see him!

This movie is about a bunch of really good friends that have a passion for the sport baseball. Every summer they would go down to an old sandy baseball field that they the named "The Sandlot". One summer this new kid moves to the neighborhood and desperately tries to become friends with Benny and the gang. This kid's name is Scotty Smalls or just "Smalls". Benny is the only one who is willing to let the poor kid play baseball with them. Benny and Smalls become quite close. Benny teaches Smalls how to play baseball. One day Smalls is up to bat and he hits a baseball signed by Babe Ruth over the wall. The gang knows of "The Beast", an enormous and vicious dog. All of the boys are too afraid to just hop over the fence and retrieve the ball, so they begin to try and get the ball from the other side of the wall. The boys come up with some pretty whacky stuff. If you want to know what happens in the end, I sincerely urge you to go to your local Blockbuster and rent a copy of "The Sandlot"! Over all rating: 9/10

L-7 Weenie!

Author: Filmcritic624 from United States
16 May 2005

This movie is a complete classic. Tom Guiry is great as the part of Scott Smalls, and the movie smoothly moves from one great subplot to the next in this great adventure about a nerdy child who experiences the summer of his life through the summer baseball group he joins in the summer.

It's absolutely portrayed in the style that it will never get old. Certain things were meant to die out, but this film will remain a kid flick forever. From Wendy Peffercorn puckering up to Squints to following your heart, you'll follow this movie right to the end (although it's follow-up wasn't that bad). The planning of the movie is perfect, and it's setting in 1962 sets up the fantasy in all of us. Beating snotty baseball rivals in a pickup baseball game, hitting your first Home Run, learning to throw, making smores, spooky "camp outs", the unknown neighbor Mr. Mrtyle "the meanest old man that ever lived" that was the perfect summer. Too bad those days are just about wiped out, because those were the days.

The classic summer? More like the classic movie. If your into a lot of wacky adventure, slapstick comedy, and where mystery has never gone before, try this one, it's a guarantee plus.