IMDb > The Sandlot (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Smalls…You Are Killing Me

Author: thesar-2 from United States
12 April 2014

Recently, I started carpooling with an old friend of mine and we conversed a lot to/from work. Occasionally, he would say: "You're killing me, Smalls." I let it pass even though I didn't know what he meant by it.

I guess after the 3rd or 4th time he said it, I inadvertently repeated that phrase to another coworker in a similar situation as my carpool buddy put me in. They laughed and exclaimed that they loved that movie. I asked "What movie?"

"What do you mean, 'What movie?'" they shot back.

I explained I didn't know where that movie line came from, but I somehow knew how it fit into conversation. They laughed and could NOT FOR THE LIFE OF THEM believe I had never seen The Sandlot.

Over the course of a few months, I would get the similar response of disdain that I had not seen this movie. In my defense, most of my coworkers are much younger than I and I explained to them that by the time this movie debuted, I was already too old for a young-kids-coming-of-age film. (Later it wouldn't be so bad, but at the age I was in 1993, I wanted to be older and not associate with younger kid movies.)

Incidentally, this movie fell off my radar completely during the 1990s and 2000s, until that "You're killing me, Smalls" phrase erupted recently. So, I made it my mission to finally see it. (Believe me; I had a minimum of 22 people criticize me for not seeing it.)

One recent Sunday night, I finally made time for it…and DAMN. I am SOOO sorry I didn't see it sooner and further, I regretted I wasn't born later, like a decade later. This would've been MY movie. No doubt, I would've seen it a minimum of six times in the theatre – where I got the money for that many viewings from my poor family, would be the same challenge these boys had with the baseball replacements. But, I would've seen it many, many times. Not that I would've needed to: the famous quotes from it, much like the SMALLS line, would've been permanently engraved into my subconscious from the very first viewing and for the rest of my days.

I would've surely identified with Scotty Smalls. Innocent, new, inexperienced and friendless. He moves into a new neighborhood in the early 1960s and takes a bit of time to become part of the gang. Once he does, he's there for life.

I am the same way with each stage of my life. Especially with all the moving around my family made us do from the time I was seven until I was almost Junior High School. And then further, outside of school, when I moved from job to job, even when it was years at each employment.

I digress. If not for so many movies, TV shows and other life-events in the way, I would probably watch this movie a multiple of times. I absolutely loved this movie, up and down, inside and out. I laughed out loud, cherished the "PG-Rating/family rating" which I don't watch too often, identified with the group of kids and reminisced of times, journeys and adventures I had outside and in the neighborhood as a kid.

Sadly, I missed both the show: The Wonder Years and the movie: The Sandlot as a child. But, that doesn't mean I have to from here on out.

* * * Final thoughts: I don't normally do this, but I want to personally thank my new coworkers and older friends for making me see this classic. I know a lot of other kids my age idolized movies such as The Breakfast Club, The Lost Boys and Stand By Me…I never got into those. I wish I had been born later… I would've surely idolized this one. So, thanks to you: Jessica Bojorquez, Andy Recinos, Nicole Meglen Davis and of course, Smalls, himself, Brandon Schildts. If I missed anyone, I apologize... Thank you too!

Not just a kids movie. It's a great movie.

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 October 2013

Scotty Smalls is the new kid in the idyllic small town with his mom and stepdad. He's an awkward kid who wants to play baseball with neighborhood kids. There were 8 of them, and he hoped to be the ninth. Their best player Benny Rodriquez takes Smalls under his wing. Over the summer, the group has great childhood adventures together. It all culminates to a story of a lost baseball signed by Babe Ruth and a feared dog named the Beast.

This is more than just a kids movie. You can easily overdose on the innocence of it all. There is the group of kids. They are perfectly casted with amazing chemistry. Each one is an iconic child type. As a period piece, they picked an era just before the world goes into revulsion. In the sport of baseball, they have accentuated the childhood love of the game.

This is a kids movie for the whole family. That's not a cliché. It has the feel of a timeless classic.

Diamond in the Rough

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
18 April 2013

Watching "The Sand lot" is a lot of fun. The new kid in the block who doesn't know squat about baseball learns a lot about the game during its 101 minute running time. This tale of initiation resembles an Arthurian myth about a knight slaying a dragon. Our pint-sized knights are playing baseball when the protagonist accidentally loses his stepfather vintage Babe Ruth autographed baseball. The child actors are a likable lot and director David M. Evans orchestrate the action with enough flair to make these suburban shenanigans memorable. The first half of "The Sandlot" acquaints us with the adolescent adventurers as they accept the outsider and mold themselves into a single unit. Once our hero swats his first four-bagger, he becomes friends with his compatriots. The moment that he achieves this zenith of sorts, he creates the chaos that truly solidifies their group. All along Scotty Smalls (Tom Guiry of "Ride with the Devil") has said that he knows who 'the Great Bambino' is, but he doesn't. One day after his best friend, Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez (Mike Vitar of "Sunset Grill"), hits a home run, the guys are left without a baseball. Nobody has enough cents to buy one. Nevertheless, Scott wants to cement his friendship with the group and contribute something. He takes the prized baseball with Babe Ruth's John Hancock on the cowhide and offers it to the guys. Of course, they don't know that the ball Scotty has supplied is a trophy ball. Scotty attain his moment in the sun with his home run. Now, the kids have to figure out how to retrieve the baseball. Hatched a nerd, Scotty concocts several nerdy contraptions to enable them to recover the ball from the backyard where a monstrous watch dog with a reputation lives. Through the action, Evans appropriates every opportunity to build up the dog until it becomes the equivalent of a dragon. Eventually, Benny ventures over the fence in his brand new P.F. Flyer sneakers, retrieves the ball, but the Beast (an English Mastiff) pursues him relentlessly through backyards, a movie theater, a Founder Day Fair, and the swimming pool. The dog turns out to be more than a beast that ate a child. James Earl Jones plays the owner of Hercules. Like I said, "The Sandlot" is a whole lot of fun.

Really glad I saw it

Author: Taylor Starr from United States
18 March 2013

I wasn't sure if I ever saw this film before recently, and luckily, my friend invited me over to see it, and I was not disappointed. This film has a lot of things I like to see: Comedy, smart characters, unpredictable things happening, and a great story. I'll get to these aspects of it later though.

The story is about some kids who love to hang out, and do many activities, but playing baseball together is their favorite thing to do. They eventually run out of baseballs to use when playing outside once, until one of the kids, played by Tom Guiry, borrows his dad's autographed ball (Babe Ruth signed it) and he ends up hitting it over his neighbor's fence, where they think a huge beast lives, but turns out that it's a dog with quite an appetite. So the kids need to find a way to get the ball back before the dad notices it's gone.

What I love most about this film is how unpredictable it is. For example, when the kids are trying to get the ball back, they use a catapult. They try to fling the ball back, and the clip suddenly slows down. I thought the ball wouldn't get over the fence and would be just short. I was wrong. The dog actually jumps really high in the air, and he looks like he swallowed the ball. That was very unexpected and hilarious. I like to see things like that. There's also this one part where one of the kids is able to jump over the fence and get the ball, outrun the dog, and jump over. You think he outsmarted the dog, right? Wrong. The dog then jumps over the fence and starts chasing him. How one can predict this, I have no idea.

The energy in this movie is outstanding. Not just from the good acting by the kids, but from the comedy as well. There's this scene when one of the kids pretends to drown so he can make out with the very attractive lifeguard. I knew that was going to happen, but I still laughed hard at it because the energy and timing of that joke.

I'll knock the film slightly for two things, and one is that there isn't a lot to the story. Basically, the first half of it is just the kids playing baseball and hanging out, and the second half is them trying to get the ball back. That's all there is to it, but for what we got, I still enjoy it, and this is more of a nitpick. My second problem is that if the kids didn't have enough money to buy baseballs, where did they get all that equipment, like the vacuum or catapult, from? I do see that part of it is child made, like one of them seeing through a box of Wheaties, but it's still impressive technology, and I have no idea where they got it from.

For what we got, I really enjoyed The Sandlot, and I am really glad I saw it. I consider it one of my favorite comedies now, and that is quite an accomplishment, since I can be quite picky with films like that. I'd say to go see it, but since it got a sequel, and I guess a third one, I'd assume you already did see it.

Fun for kids, but holds more significance for the adults.

Author: lostanddelirious85 from United States
18 December 2010

This is just one of those movies that makes you feel good, no matter what age you are. If you're a kid, you'll love it for the fun characters and the humor. If you're an adult, it will bring back fond memories of childhood that will make you wistful to go back to those days again.

I first saw this movie on HBO when I was a kid and found it to be a pretty entertaining/funny movie with some animated characters and an amusing sub-plot about a killer dog. It was fun for what it was. But I have to say, I think the adult audience has the bigger end of the stick here. Re-watching it as an adult brings a perspective to it that most kids are too young to grasp: experience and time. This film romanticizes childhood and does a pretty damn good job of it, too. You will be hard-pressed to not find yourself thinking about how you were at that age and remembering old friends that you probably haven't seen or heard from in many years. This film stirred up so many memories I had forgotten and even made me quite sad.

This movie and "Stand By Me" are probably two of the greatest movies about adolescence you can watch. The feelings and emotions are timeless and representative of a time in our lives that is gone way too soon but never forgotten.

If you're having a hard time or maybe even just a bad day, put this film on and go back to the days when everything was much simpler, the biggest problem in life was what to do on a Saturday afternoon, and your friends were the most important thing in the world. If only we could capture these memories in a bottle and relive them any time we wanted. But since we can't, this film will have to do.

Forget the whole kid movie thing. This is just a good movie. And I will love it FOR-EV-VER

Author: G Man from United States
1 October 2010

Some J Off said that he and his group of friends use this movie as their benchmark for bad movies!!! What I find scary about this statement is not just that he didn't like the flick but that he knows other people with such crappy taste. It is a simple fact of nature that Sandlot kicks much ass. Sorry man I didn't write the rules.

The truth is that even tho I was the age of the kids in the movie when I first saw it The Sandlot still holds up today, some 15 years later. For me The Sandlot falls in the Goonies, Princess Bride, Back to the Future, Time Bandits etc... category of PG rated movies I watched and loved as a kid that I still love just as much if not more today. The kids are all truly good actors but none of them have "made" it as adults. That sucks for them, but for us, the viewer it makes it easier to watch. It makes it a bit difficult to watch movies with cute innocent kids when all you can think about is there legendary tolerance to cat tranquilizers. So if you have kids it is nothing short of your duty to show them this flick. But even if you don't have kids, and didn't see it when you were a kid you will still dig it. Like I said it is an actual fact that The Sandlot kicks ass.

an all time classic...

Author: retrochick57 from United States
11 September 2010

i seriously love this movie.everything about it was hilarious.the kids were just totally crazy and really enjoyable to watch,and the plot was really good.this movie is about an eleven year old kid named "smalls" he joins the neighborhood baseball team and starts learning more and more baseball stuff by his new best friend Benny.after stealing his father's baseball and accidentally throwing it over the neighbor's yard they try to get it back despite the fact the the meanest dog alive is guarding it.this movie is really nice,the flow of the movie never seems slow and the actors play they're roles really well.if you want some wholesome fun and plenty of laughs watch this movie because these kind of movies never get old.

Another Childhood Favorite!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
30 May 2010

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved this movie. It has a great storyline, and can relate to kids, and adults alike. A new kid in town named Scotty Smalls tries to make friends with the kids that play baseball at the sandlot. Benny Rodriguez gives Smalls a chance, but the rest are reluctant to having him join their crew. After he finally earns their respect, he accidentally hits a baseball signed by Babe Ruth into the yard of 'The Beast' Smalls and the gang try many different crazy plans in order to recover the ball. If you love baseball, and stories about friendship, I highly recommend THE SANDLOT!!!

Legendary movie...

Author: vince the prince (jamieslswear23@aim.com) from United States
28 February 2010

If you have any passion whatsoever for baseball or American culture The Sandlot will be right up your alley. An incredible atmosphere is created within this movie that details childhood summer days in suburbia. This movie displays such respect for the game of baseball, and reminds me of all the reasons it's the greatest sport in the world. Everything about this movie is perfect. The music, characters, plot, and overall presentation is some of the best I've come across in a movie. This movie was a huge part of my childhood. And I've come to appreciate even more now that I've grown up. It's one of those films that makes you wanna jump into your t.v. to become apart of it. Yes it's that good.

A timeless classic that teaches lessons of respect and fear

Author: Grissom66 from Canada
2 January 2010

You may have caught on by now that i've been watching a lot of rentals. seeing as the theatres had nothing playing that i already didn't see, i grab a couple of DVD's from the local Blockbuster and watch some old flicks that sparked people's interests. The Sandlot was one of those films. It's about a group of kids kicking back during the summer. You know, go to the beach, socialize with friends, run away a lot from a vicious dog who likes to eat your baseballs. Yup, good ol' summer. The film itself is sometimes referred to as the groundbreaking kids film of the 90's. But they said the same about a number of films (Casper, Space Jam, The Lion King, Aladdin, etc) but i still think it settles for a timeless cassic title. But two very unoriginal sequels came out, the second being the same as the first except for the girls being in baseball and the thrd is just bad. So the first is way better. The Sandlot 8/10

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]