IMDb > The Sandlot (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Who's the Great Bambino?

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
17 March 2004

The Sandlot is one of the greatest kids movies ever. It is a refreshing break from the family movies of today that mostly concentrate on stories in that upperclass Reiner-esque suburbanite setting of husband and wife and two and a half obnoxious kids. Instead, The Sandlot falls into a line of memorable adventures like 'House Arrest' and 'The Wizard.'

Flashback to the 1960s. Scotty Smalls, newcomer to the neighborhood, narrates (in a Wonder Years way) the hilarious adventure of how he got he and his baseball playing buddies into the biggest pickle ever. Smalls is the shy brainy kid who makes friends with a bunch of baseball fanatics. While learning the sport of baseball, he learns of an exaggerated legend of something called 'The Beast,' otherwise known as Old Mr. Myrtle's junkyard dog, which is chained up in the fence just behind the ballpark. The kids like to play baseball. And the Beast likes to eat them. Not to give too much away, but, "the pickle" that Scotty gets his friends into, involves a pretty valuable baseball, one slobbering beast, and kids who try to do anything they can to save their buddy from being grounded for an eternity. The mess they get into and the junk they try to get themselves out is simply hilarious. That, and the subplots of a clever move on a lifeguard and the determination to show up some very obnoxious rival baseball players.

It's a funny, fantastic film that most kids will likely enjoy--the boys for baseball and the girls for those noteable teen stars like Mike Vitar, Tom Guiry, Chauncey Leopardi, and Will Horneff. It's loaded with laughs and good time adolescents, despite Tom Guiry hamming it up only slightly. Plus, it's got a good theme about friendship and drive and determination to do what you want to do. I highly recommend it, if for nothing else, then the part where Squints tells the story about the history of the beast.

I can see from the message boards as well as other viewer's comments that it still has a rather memorable following, despite it's age. Definitely a must see!

very enjoyable

Author: MichaelM24 from California
2 July 2001

Okay, I didn't grow up in the time this film is set (I was born in 1978). But after seeing the film, I've got a pretty good idea of what it was like. My dad likes the film because of how much it reminds him of his own childhood. The story is simple: a new kid moves with his mother and step-father to a brand new neighborhood where he knows no one. So imagine his surprise when he winds up meeting a kid who invites him to play baseball with him and his best friends. Naturally, the other kids don't take to him too well: he's not very good at baseball, and he can't even throw right. But eventually, the kids grow to like him and teach him the ways of the game, and before long they're having a lot of fun during the summer. THE SANDLOT is a great kids film, very family-friendly, unlike the majority of so-called "family" films that are made nowadays. Sure, there's a scene where the kids are throwing up on a carnival ride thanks to some chewing tobacco, but the scene is done more for laughs than as a gross-out. (You can imagine that the scene would be done the opposite way if the film was made more recently). The characters and the young kids playing them are all appealing, and it's nice to see Denis Leary playing a kind sensitive role instead of the over-the-top characters he's used to playing. He's very good, even though the part's not a big one. The few scenes between him and star Tom Guiry are very nice. THE SANDLOT is a very good film. Kids will like the humor, and adults will remember how fun it was to be a kid.

One of the greatest childhood films ever

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
14 June 2000

The Sandlot is a great childhood film because it examines changes and friendship among a group of pre-teens. It is really just good old fashioned fun (especially James Earl Jones' cameo) in the adventures of their baseball days. Denis leary makes one of his breakthrough films here. Entertainment supreme, and maybe adults will like it too. A

The Sandlot

Author: bgf0821 from United States
7 February 2005

The main character's name was not Steve... if you have seen this movie more than once, or for more than 30 minutes, you'd realize the protagonist's name was Scotty Smalls. This movie is indeed a classic, a timeless piece accessible by all. If you love or have ever had a deep passion for baseball, this movie will move you like no other film has ever moved you before. I like to have a few too many beers and watch it through myself... the ending scene where the narrator (Scotty Smalls) tells the stories of how everyone eventually left the sandlot, and town for that matter, brings me to tears. One of the greatest movies of our era and a sure classic for not only us, but our kids as well.

Awesome movie!!!!

Author: clever_girl3 from Canada
1 January 2005

This Movie is the best ever!!!!! It truly is a classic, and I know that because every time I mention the name "The Sandlot", people constantly rave about it.

Also, when it first came out it was my favorite movie, and then I never saw it again until I bought it 2 weeks ago and have watched it approx. 7 times since I got it!!!

"The Sandlot" is a movie I will never get tired of and can literally watch over and over again for sure!!!! This movie keeps me laughing every time and the more you watch it, the more you'll love it!! Definitely one to see!!

Capturing time on film.

Author: Peach-2 from Netherlands
18 February 1999

I thought The Sandlot captured the innocence and joy of being young and playing baseball in a small town neighborhood. The film isn't perfect but has great atmosphere. I enjoyed the sub-plot with the dog and James Earl Jones and I loved the scenes when the kids were just being kids and enjoying the summer. The film made me feel good and I sometimes think that's all a film is supposed to do. Check it out.

How can you not love this movie?

Author: Adriane Simo (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
17 August 1999

One of the best "kid" movies that I have ever seen. A story about friendship and baseball, and the people in our lives. Great one to watch with your friends to reminisce about the old days. Look for a great cameo by James Earl Jones. Recommended for those of us who had great friends growing up, and never wanted the good times to end.

an all time classic movie.

Author: departed07 from United States
2 April 2004

I grew up watching The Sandlot and what i realized about this movie is that this film doesn't have the players winning or losing, but this is about friendship and how a big dog can make your worst dreams come true. The Sandlot is about a gawky kid named Smalls(Tom Guiry) who just moves into the neighborhood and tries to blend in with the crowd, until he fails. Mike Vitar who plays the neighborhood baseball hero Benny, helps Smalls play baseball and fit him in with the crowd. The team accepts Smalls and what makes the film interesting like i written above is that this film isn't about winning or losing, but about living your days in the summer when you are ten to twelve and realize that there is more to life than winning.

Overall a great movie.

wonderful family film that will also entertain the parents

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
12 May 2006

This is a truly amazing film. It's a very good family film that can be enjoyed by BOTH your kids and yourself! That's rare, as often "family films" have too much smutty language or sexual situations for kids OR are so saccharine sweet that sane adults would prefer suicide over watching the films (think Disney in the 1960s).

The film isn't quite a comedy, though there are really funny moments in it (such as the evil dog that eats baseballs). And, it's not exactly a drama. It's more like an occasionally surreal slice of life film about the good old days of the late 50s-early 60s. It's about a group of kids that live to play baseball--and that's all they ever seem to want to do! Despite this very simple plot, somehow the excellent acting, direction and writing make you really care about the kids and it engages you from start to finish.

Very enjoyable feel-good movie.

Author: sublime501 from Albuquerque, NM
23 June 2004

THE SANDLOT is quite possibly one of the best "family films" ever made. In it, a young, studious, unpopular boy named Scotty Smalls (Tom Guiry) moves to a suburb just before school lets out for the summer, and concurrently has a hard time making friends. He frequently sees kids playing baseball in a sandlot in his neighborhood, and wants to make friends with them. He figures the best way to do this is to join in on their baseball games--but alas, Scotty has almost no baseball skills, while the other kids are very experienced and good at the game. One day, the neighborhood hero Benny (Mike Vitar) approaches Scotty and asks if he'd like some pointers and to join in on their game. Scotty agrees, and slowly improves, while making friends with the other boys in the neighborhood.

But one day, Scotty foolishly takes his stepfather's baseball autographed by Babe Ruth and knocks it into the adjacent backyard. This backyard, as Scotty is informed, is home to The Beast, a monstrous dog that, as legend has it, ate the only other boy who was daring enough to go after a baseball in that yard. The boys devise a plan to get the ball back, one way or another.

I watched THE SANDLOT several times growing up, and remember always loving it. When I watched it again recently, I realized exactly why--it's a great movie. Just the right balance of childhood innocence and experience is captured, and this movie is bound to make any adult remember his childhood and all the different aspects of it. The summertime atmosphere and almost all of the scenes are terrifically nostalgic. Some of the scenes involving The Beast are hilarious, and everything has a nice familiar feel to it. It's a wonderful feel-good film.

All of the actors put in at least average performances. Most of the child actors are just okay, with a few exceptions. Tom Guiry is good as the awkward and naive Scotty, as is Patrick Renna as the outspoken and witty Hamilton. I think the real standout of the actors, though, is Mike Vitar as Benny. He was excellent as the kindhearted, but still very cool hero of the neighborhood, the guy that everyone loved. He showed real promise, and it's a shame that he didn't continue with his acting career. The cameos from James Earl Jones and Denis Leary are also nice.

I always loved watching THE SANDLOT growing up, and now I remember why. It's a great family film that is very entertaining and enjoyable to watch. I'm sure I'll watch it again years from now and remember just why I loved it. 8/10.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]