IMDb > Puppet Master 4 (1993) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Puppet Master 4

Puppet Master 4 (V) More at IMDbPro »

Now the puppets are good guys!

Author: stu-67 from Wisconsin UsA
3 June 1999

This is strange and unlike the other puppet master movies in the series. But it is funny in many ways, for instance take Cameron's high pitched shrieking of obcenities, and the Head monster at the Beginning is Hilarious looking HA HA HA. I was very pleased the girl who plays Lauren, man is she attractive or WHAT? The puppets are good guys who have to fight off Evil? What happend to the Evil gene and the lust to get brain chunks HUH? Well it's pretty cool that they are good though. The soundtrack by Quiet Riot and Joker is the icing on the cake for me. Watch this movie it's not that long. and its pretty GOOD.

Not bad !!!!!!

Author: nas4e68 from New York
2 April 2000

In this third sequel Gordon Currie makes his first really big role of a movie . Rick (G.Currie) is the caretaker to a hotel . Him and three other friends find the puppets Pinhead, Jester , and you know all the others . In this moviee the puppets are good and are fighting evil . Tons of action pretty good . Followed by Part 5 witch is horrible . Believe me . If your a horror fan you should watch this movie . ** stars out of four . Guy Rolfe ( Toulon also makes his return . He was in the third .

The Best Of The Series

Author: torch25 from United States
6 November 2005

I though that PM4 and 5 were the best of the series. the puppets are fighting the Totems, minions of Sutek, who want the secret Toulon stole from him back. To help the Puppets, a new one, Decapitron (originally an idea for an unmade Empire Pictures filck) is made. This has always been my favorite Full Moon flick, and I love part V. Keep up the work Mr. Band. As usual, the video contains an excellent videozone, and the video itself was distributed by Paramount. A Puppet Master Box Set was released in 2000 by Full Moon, but was quickly recalled by Paramount because they still claimed the rights to these films. Paramount needs to stop being an ass and let Mr. Band release all of his great films through Full Moon, not the Paramount "Full Screen Collection". Bless Full Moon.

Decent flick; horrendous plot.

Author: Cowman (cowman777@hotmail.com) from The Mitten State, USA
1 August 2001

The notorious Bodega Bay Inn is now inhabited by a whiz-kid science major named Rick Myers who is working for an elite team of scientists in hopes of finding out the secret of artificial intelligence. Meanwhile, in Hell, at the EXACT SAME MOMENT, a legion of evil rubbery demons send a horde of minions to the surface to kill anyone who has anything to do with Andre Toulon's elixir of animation. It certainly would be bad luck if Rick just happened to stumble upon a vial of the damning potion, now wouldn't it? Even though the plot of this particular chapter in the Puppet Master series is razor-thin and the acting stays consistently mundane throughout, it has a certain flair that most of the other entries don't. The puppets are much more likeable this time around, and their movements, although not as detailed or complex, are a lot more amusing and believable.

Scrappy plot, but decent

Author: Mileskolehmainen from United States
19 June 2014

PUPPET MASTER IV

🌕🌕🌕🌘🌑 3.2

I thought this was entertaining enough. Not as good as the third, but fun. And the puppet FX were good once again. Th whole puppet vs. Puppet concept works great on providing action and effects, and the demon-puppets are a good villain. I found there is plenty of clever stop motion here, all done very well. The acting ain't to bad either, but the psychic girl is a tad annoying. There are three issues I had with the film. The first, a small bug, is the buildup, which like in 1 or 2 takes a bit. The second, a much larger issue, is that the plot seems to feel very scrapped together, like a bunch of little pieces of a script. So when it's all patched together it feels a little disjointed. The third, another problem, is the lack of blood. I don't mean gore I mean blood. Other than a severed finger the action is never violent or bloody enough to be horror-y. Even so this film is entertaining and I recommend it to fans of the series ('sept for gore hounds) and the younger horror audience too.

I Found this a more fun then the last!

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
30 December 2012

I thought this was best one yet, (No, I am not Drunk lol ) I really enjoyed this one the most.

I had fun of start to end of this movie, it's started of as Cheese as you can get, in the underworld of Hell (It''s kind of reminds of old Power ranger shows I used to watch when I was kid lol ) , the demon Sutekh send to of Totems which really nasty little creatures

Rick Myers who ends up coming cross the Puppets and then bring they back for his own entertainment.

Soon the puppets turn good and defend the Humans against the Totems and battle break with Blade and one of Creature.

I love Jester face kept changing in fight scenes, I found it's really funny, I think could of helped that if thee kids in this movie instead of Adults.

I can see why not many people like this movie, there was really limited on on kill scenes, there not many bloody moment.

Some of the acting in this movie, as got to be worse anything in this series so. I think lead guy the only you acting didn't not bother me.

Overall going to give this a 6 out of 10 (I was going give 7 but I was hoping of for more gore)

I wasn't even thinking of seeing 5, i might end up having fun with it

A must see for all Puppet Master fans!

Author: Prolox from Canada
9 December 2004

The PUPPET MASTER series continues to be highly entertaining with this really fun sequel! Director JEFF BURR (Who became the first director to helm a PUPPET MASTER movie & not be named David) steers the series back to it's darker horror movie roots, that were seemingly abandon in PUPPET MASTER III: TOULON'S REVENGE. His direction is really good & he knows how to direct horror movies because it's clear he is a horror fan himself. I knew the series was in good hands with him at the helm, since I've been utterly impressed with his roster of films. What should be noted is how this sequel does away with any sexual elements & tones the gore down a bit (though it is still somewhat bloody) & adds a more fantasy like element to it. It also continues with the idea of the puppets once again being good guys & not evil as they were seen in the first two outings. This was mainly due to the amount of fan mail Producer Charles Band received from kids, who claimed they were big fans of the series & would even send him drawings of their favourite puppets. As is tradition with the series, the film adds a new puppet named "Decapitron" a head master that can change multiple heads & is really a channeller for Toulon's spirit to enter into. This is a very interesting puppet indeed, since Producer Band had a movie in production way back in the 80's that would feature this puppet, that unfortunately never happened when his EMPIRE PICTURES outfit crumbled into extinction. Sadly along with TORCH, this puppet would only be used in two movies, before being jettisoned with no mention of it's whereabouts after PART 5. The acting is well above par for the genre. GORDON CURRIE really shines as the likable college wiz kid & JASON ADAMS is perfection as his smart, but not as smart & very jealous, stuck up rival. While CHANDRA WEST is appealing as Rick's (GORDON CURRIE) girlfriend Susie. THERESA HILL is interesting as Susie's friend, a Channeler psychic. What I really enjoyed about this entry, is how it never lets up from start to finish, always providing us with new information & adds more back story to the serum. The plot is fun & the film features some good suspenseful moments, atmosphere & tension. The late David Allen really tops himself here, the puppet effects are pretty awesome & some of the best stop motion animation the series has to offer by far. The story in & of itself is very engaging & really easy & interesting enough to get sinked into. The Totem creatures are also a very interesting addition to the PUPPET MASTER fold & make for great villains for the puppets. The set design is really good, the totem puppets weird & creepy, in fact they have an almost Aztec like quality to them.

On the downside though, there were a few things that kind of bugged me, but nothing to to spoil the fun of the movie: The SUTEK demon although an interesting character & creation is to rubbery looking to be taken seriously & you could tell it was a puppet, since it moved like one. I also had trouble stomaching the idea that the Bodega Bay Inn was open yet again for business, despite it's bloody history & the fact that the murderer(s) were never caught (the puppets themselves). I mean there is no way the authorities & government would allow it & even if they did, who would want to spend a night at an Inn, where a whole bunch of people were horribly mutilated on two separate occasions? The film also leaves some questions unanswered like: Whatever became of Camille, who became the puppets new master at the end of Part II? didn't her & the puppets leave the Bodega Bay Inn at the end of that movie? if so, why are the puppets back at Bodega Bay Inn again? Wasn't Toulon evil in Part II? if so, why do the puppets trust in Toulon again after he turned his back on them? Why is he a good guy yet again? the only answer I could come up with, was that this was Producer CHARLES BAND's idea of turning him good again, since the fan response was really positive for the character in III & they really grew to like the character in that film, since he was so sympathetic. Lastly, where was TORCH? despite being on the video box art, he is nowhere to be found here & no answers are given as to his whereabouts? where was Six Shooter in Parts 1 & 2? plus if the film takes place after II, & the puppets were weak from having no fluid in that one, then why are they all asleep here, but BLADE isn't? since he is still roaming around the Inn, does he not need serum too? & didn't TUNNLER die in PUPPET MASTER II? if so how is he alive here?

See PUPPET MASTER: LEGACY for a correct chronological order of the series.

In the end, PUPPET MASTER 4 is a very fun movie & a real treat for fans of the series. It's got all the things really fun & great sequels have, new elements & plot twists, more story with plenty of interesting avenues explored, better effects, better acting, great directing, a fun story & just enough suspense, tension & gore added & some fun & interesting villains to help make it one of the best in the series. Even after all these years the film never loses it's freshness & still manages to entertain you, despite having viewed it multiple times (which I have over the years) but question: Did they really need five writers to make an 80 minute movie & it's sequel? Shot simultaneously with PUPPET MASTER 5

**** stars

80's Horror meets 90's Cheese in "Puppet Master 4"- a fun but very uneven entry in the series.

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
12 October 2016

If there's one thing to be said for Charles Band's long-running horror- franchise "Puppet Master", it's that it is a franchise that has proved to have a high degree of staying power, lasting near three decades thus far and with no signs of slowing down. Even now, there's talk of not only another sequel to the original franchise, but even a full- fledged theatrical reboot to the sometimes beloved series.

Of course, the series has needed to change with the times to remain culturally relevant, and in no place is that more apparent than in 1993's "Puppet Master 4." (Also known as "Puppet Master 4: The Demon.) It's an entry to symbolizes a lot of change for the overall story, both in subverting expectations and also finally taking the steps to update and modernize the overall franchise by injecting it with that grand old 90's cheese that so many now nostalgically look back on with a big grin.

It's also the first entry in the series to toy with the idea of the killer puppets being full-blown "heroes" in their own film. Whereas they typically had been previously portrayed as villainous and murderous (or at best as anti-heroes out for revenge at the call of their master as was the case in the third film), here they are finally at the hands of a decent master with no dark or selfish motivations who is merely seeking to survive and uses the puppets for good. It's a nice, refreshing change of pace... especially as it fulfills the typical audience desire to see the "villains" win (at least a little bit) without making us directly route for them to do terrible things.

We follow Rick Myers, a caretaker at the Bodega Bay Inn who also happens to be working in a research project to create artificial intelligence. (90's Alert! Techno babble and bad 90's computer programming scenes imminent!) However, as the project is getting dangerously close to discovering the secret to life that had previously been found by the Puppet Master Andre Toulon, the demon lord Sutekh sends a group of evil diminutive "totems" to kill all involved. Once Rick and his friends discover Toulon's puppets, they are forced to bring them to life to battle this new threat! And they will also finally have to animate Toulon's hidden incomplete masterpiece of a puppet "Decapitron" in order to survive...

Part of the fun of this entry is the subversion in finally making the puppets the good-guys, thus allowing a sort-of full-on "war" between two miniature factions. It supplies for a lot of fun moments and creative sequences. Our cast of human characters are also reasonably good leads for a low-budget horror feature, and you care just enough about them to keep you invested in the human drama. (Even if there are some clichés that will make you groan, like the "hot chick in glasses" scientist. Ugh.) There's also a lot of fun to be had looking back on it in that nostalgic "time capsule" way. This is very much the product of its time, with cheesy 90's style, cheesy 90's dialog and cheesy 90's effects running rampant. It's quite charming as a result, especially for those who grew up in that decade.

That being said, this is a very uneven film and it does suffer quite a bit for its faults. Many aspects of the story are dated to the point of going beyond the nostalgic charm. The pacing is all out of whack. Certain major elements seem out of left field. And it all does feel just a bit silly, even for a "Puppet Master" sequel.

Still, there's plenty of fun to be had. The series was never anything more than trashy, goofy B-movies with some blood and boobs and creepy puppets... And you certainly get that here for the most part.

So I'm giving it a middle-of-the-road 6 out of 10. If you're a series fan, a Charles Band fan, or just a B-movie fanatic like me, you'll get your money's worth.

Far better entry than expected with a lot to like

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
23 May 2016

Staying at an abandoned hotel, a man and his friends experimenting on a secret project find the discarded puppets being targeted for their secret life-giving formula by the demonic originators of the formula and must help them stop the vicious creatures.

This one turned out to be quite a decent and enjoyable effort. Considering it's shortened length, this one offers up a lot of good will with the fact that the puppets are placed at the forefront of the film for a majority of the time here. This impressive amount of time gives the film a rather blistering pace here that starts off nicely here with the two separate, individual attacks against the scientists featuring the rather cool new demon puppet, the enjoyable game against the puppets during the blackout as he attempts to find out the true nature of their powers which leads into the rather fun search throughout the house with the puppets helping out as well as the lead-in to the fun and enjoyably cheesy attack inside the car outside in the rain. As that itself leads into the later scenes where the puppets are tasked with holding off several big action scenes by themselves, it gives this one an extra boost as there's so many vivid and impressive scenes that rely solely on the puppets fighting each other, from the impressive battle in the kitchen where they team up against the demon in a three-on-one battle or the race to get their lifeless leader reanimated while holding off brawls with several of the demonic creatures still after them gives this one a life and energy that's quite exciting and enjoyable. Along with the fun and utterly creepy demonic-puppet look, there's a lot to like here that makes this one good enough to hold out over the film's minor flaws. The main issue here is the fact that this one really belies it's purpose as being the first part of an origin story by really running through a lot of the unsure elements of the story as there's a lot to this one that doesn't get explained. From how they manage to tie in the events from the second film which is the true predecessor in the series, the introduction of the strange demon cult that protects the entirely different set of magic that was used to originally animate the puppets and the need for a new puppet master all go by with little information if any is given at all so that on the whole this one suddenly becomes quite confusing whenever it goes into the underworld which just doesn't make any sense. As this one was all about the action scenes anyway, it isn't a surprise that many of these would go unanswered but as a stand- alone film just before the answers are given in another film yet it's still a very noticeable facet about this one. It's really the main thing holding this one back.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.

Enjoyable installment in the series

28 November 2011

Toulon's puppets battle a bunch of gremlin-like monsters who want to steal the elixir from boyish young scientist Rick Myers (a lively and engaging performance by Gordon Currie). Director Jeff Burr relates the entertaining premise at a brisk pace, maintains a generally serious tone throughout, makes neat occasional use of funky stop-motion animation, and delivers a generous sprinkling of gore. This film further benefits from solid acting from a capable cast: pretty Chandra West as Rick's sweet girlfriend Susie, Jason Adams as smug and jealous jerk Cameron, and foxy Teresa Hill as sensitive psychic Lauren. Gulf Rolfe makes a welcome return appearance as Andre Toulon while Felton Perry has a regrettably small part as amiable scientist Dr. Carl Baker. The gremlin creatures are real gnarly. Moreover, it's cool to see the puppets as the good guys for a change. The tight 80 minute running time ensures that this movie never gets dull or overstays its welcome. Adolfi Bartoli's crisp cinematography gives the picture a pleasing polished look. Richard Band's spirited score hits the nicely spooky spot. Worth a watch for fans of this franchise.