IMDb > Once Upon a Forest (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Fuzzy Adventure

Author: Cylex from England
22 June 2001

A road accident causes poisonous gases to leak into a forest. A young badger's life is at stake. Her three friends, Abigail a tomboyish mouse, Edgar a careful mole and Russell a greedy hedgehog, go to find special herbs that can save her. They have plenty of adventures along the way and learn about courage and working together. There are only three songs in the movie (including end title), but they are worth hearing. Please Wake Up brought tears to my eyes and He's Gone/He's Back is an upbeat gospel number. Once Upon A Time is a nice one to finish with. The characters are likeable and it doesn't get too cute. Children should love it and so will tender-hearted adults. 7/10

The most emotional and lovely film that I can remember

Author: QueenEofHistory from Tunbridge Wells, England
15 May 2005

I remember when I was about five or six years old that me and my younger sister used to rent out this film quite often and watch it all the time until we had to return it. Although I could not remember the title of the film until I saw it many years later, I would often remember the characters because I felt that I understood them and loved them to pieces. My sister's favourite scene was the 'He's Back' because she found the gospel singing hilariously funny though I can't actually remember what my favourite scene was. When I watched it for the first time in like five or six years, it brought back all the lovely memories and scenes and just wish it got more of the recognition it deserved and that I wish it was brought back on TV for younger children to watch and enjoy, I also think that the video and DVD should be brought back onto shelves so that people who did enjoy the film can enjoy it again. The singing I also thought was wonderful, it would be another five or six years for me to realise that the person who sang 'Please Wake Up' was the person who made me laugh my head off in BBC sitcom 'Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em'. Overall, this film deserves 10 out of 10 and more recognition!

best animated film ever

Author: foxigrl11 from massachusetts
23 June 2004

okay i haven't actually seen this movie since i was like 7 but i just spent about 5 hours trying to figure out the name of the movie by using a million different searches because i am that much in love with this movie. i think that every single time my mother brought me to the movie store i rented this movie. as soon as i found the movie i saw pictures and i almost cried. these characters are super adorable and i need to buy this movie. i don't see how any people do not like this movie or think it is about how bad people are. every movie needs a theme and little kids do not really notice things like that. the only thing i really picked up about saving the economy or whatever is that you shouldn't litter or pollute because it can hurt the little animals. i mean are you saying that is a BAD message to send to kids. okay lets tell them we live in a perfect world and so you can ruin it any way you like.that's not cool. i think this is the best animated movie ever made and the message is kind of like fern gully's too but it is way better

I cried like a baby at the end of this, when I was 8

Author: Warren Murphy (murphy_wmm) from Canada
30 November 2002

I'll always remember the first time I saw this film, in late 1993 when I was 8 years old. This film was really the first film to ever have a large impact on me. Up until then, I had been mainly unaffected by fast, fun, feel-good kids movies with happy endings. This one was different... the ending was only semi-happy and I cried like a baby. Sure, I was only 8 years old... but that was the first time I had cried at the ending of a movie (and the last time, until I viewed "dancer in the dark" a few months ago). Needless to say, this is a very powerful film about family, friendship, and guilt. I'm quite surprised this only has an average rating of 4.7/10 from IMDB users. This film is much better than animated films like "Fantasia" and "Shrek" which have a much higher rating from IMDB users. Sure, it's not as flashy, but it has so much more to say. I think some users are too ignorant/cold-hearted to appreciate what this film has to offer. It's not a cheesy film in the slighest. Anyone with a heart should appreciate its power.

I think this film is one of the best animated films EVER!

Author: emma_crawfordgreene from USA
6 August 2003

I first saw this film cause I am great admirer of Mr. Michael Crawford and his work and I wanted to see how he did in this animated film. He was just phenomenal (as he usually is ;-) but I was also touched by the sweetness of the film and the characters. The other performers in the film were just as good and deserving of their roles as Mr. Crawford was. I thought the story had more heart and kindness in it than any of the animated movies I had seen such as "Shrek", "Fantasia", "Finding Nemo" and so on. This was an original story and I loved it. I was in suspense watching it, I couldn't leave the room I was so engrossed in it.

From the bottom of my heart to those people that designed and directed the film, and to the actors and to Mr. Crawford - BRAVO!! ENCORE!!

I LOVE this movie, though if anything I wish it was 5 minutes longer...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
26 May 2009

I personally think that Once Upon a Forest is an underrated gem. I mean this is one of the few animations that had me weeping buckets at the end, and I am a 17 year old schoolgirl. My only complaint is that at 68 minutes long, it is a little too short, but putting that discrepancy aside what you have is a beautiful, poignant film. The animation is stunning with beautiful backgrounds and excellent character animation, and I absolutely loved the songs by James Horner. Please Wake up, had me in tears,(the only other song in an animation that did that to me was Somewhere Out There from American Tail) and I know the vocals were a bit shaky but that can be forgiven as that is such an emotional song to sing, and it did say in the trivia that Michael Crawford found it very difficult not to be moved by the song. He's Gone/He's Back is an upbeat gospel song that provides the funniest moments in the film, and Once Upon a Time is so lovely with sublime vocals by Florence Warner Jones. The characters are a delight, particularly the wise Cornelius, and the three furling friends are very well done, with enthusiastic voice work from all involved. Both Ferngully and this were heavily criticised on release for being too preachy, but to me, both are wonderful overlooked films. Whereas Once Upon a Forest has slightly better songs(as I really liked the ones in FernGully) and better character development, one of FernGully's main merits is the villain Hexxus who terrified me when I was 9, and Tim Curry is one of the gods of voice acing and made Hexxus as chilling as people remember him. Once Upon a Forest has a number of enemies portrayed, like the yellow dragons, the owl and the gas, and I must say they were very well done. In conclusion, a beautiful underrated movie, and my main advice to those who haven't seen it, have a box of tissues beside you as this is bound to bing you tears. 9/10 Bethany Cox.

Author: C S from United States
20 February 2008

i first saw this movie when i was about 9 yrs old. i fell in love. it captured my imagination and because of it i respect my environment. every child should see this movie. little skunk, Michelle, captured my heart when she woke up and didn't know what was going on. the other "furlings" were so courageous and brave for her and taught my brothers and i how to act to our friends. also, the children who watch this movie will learn about how human beings are killing the animals with poison. this movie and the movie "fern gully" both show kids how to respect their environment. if i had kids, i would want them to watch these kinds of movies over other titles out there.

An underrated classic!

Author: Weather_lord_7 from United States
6 November 2006

OK, I'll say this now, this is one of the best animated films I've ever seen in my life. The question I have to ask is, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND FILMS LIKE THIS? It has all kinds of stuff that makes an animation good, drama, a laugh or two, and peril. Why does everyone give this classic a 4 to 0 out of 10?!!!? That being said, this is basically an eco-toon, in which a poison is leaked into the village of Dapplewood, and it's up to 3 little "furlings" to find a flower to cure their sick friend, whose parents were tragically killed by the gas. Lots of people say that his makes humans look like the villain, they've obviously never saw the ending. This FernGully/Secret Of NIMH classic gets two thumbs up from me.

I don't get what's being said

Author: waybourne from Alabama, USA
7 April 2004

I'll give you that "Once Upon a Forest" is kind of an eco-toon. But I really don't think so. It's far more about the journey of the furlings; of them becoming adults. The poisonous gas is just a plot-device to make the trip necessary. And it was the result of an *accident*, not an intentional evil.

And, in the end, humans come and clean up the mess. The only adult character, the only anti-human character, is amazed and awed. I think that directly contradicts the "humans are bad" message people are complaining about.

Not bad

Author: carizma36 from Indiana, USA
25 July 2002

I saw this movie a few days ago for the first time since I was a very young child. I can say that I remember it, but, watching it again for the first time in several years, each scene made a new and different impression on me than it did the first time I watched it.

If I had blindly seen this movie for the first time, I would give an irritated comment. But I can remember what I thought as a six year old, and my sister remembers the same things. My much younger sister loves it as much as my sister and I did, and I can safely say that it doesn't instill any absurdities in a child. Truly, this film has no shades of gray, only black and white. But young children can't understand that many shades of gray, and no connection is made between (possible spoiler) the 'bad humans' in the movie and their own loving family.

If you're looking for an entertaining movie for your kids, I recommend that you rent "Once Upon a Forest". However, I don't recommend that you watch it with your kids, as, I'm certain, it will irritate the heck out of you.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]