IMDb > Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Lasted The Test Of Time

Author: Budruss from United States
14 May 2012

OK, just to get this out of the way: I've always loved this movie. I actually saw it before I saw the "Lethal Weapon" series (Though I was familiar with them) and loved it even more once I had.

The thing that makes this movie funny, even today, is that even though it has a lot of topical humor from the early 1990s it's mostly made up of self-sustaining jokes that last. Not everyone is going to know who Leona Helmsley is, but everyone is going to laugh at Tim Curry in a wig.

And then there are the myriad of cameos by stars who know how play it straight but don't necessarily take it too seriously. From the delightful appearance of Samuel L. Jackson as Wes Luger to the walk- through of Emilio Estevez's brother and Cory Feldman it's a non-stop parade of talent that knew what kind of movie they were playing in. (Not to mention it almost brought a tear to my eye to see Phil Hartman doing what he does)

Even if you're not a fan of the "Lethal Weapon" movies you're going to find this movie funny. It fires off about 30 jokes a minute, about 20 you're going to laugh at. If you are a fan of the "Lethal Weapon" you'll probably laugh at about 29.

Watch it with friends, you won't regret it.

right up there with naked gun & airplane

Author: Paul Sweed from United Kingdom
17 October 2006

first of all, ignore the fact that this film has "national lampoons" name on it. loaded weapon 1 is far better than all of the awful lampoons films.

this is a spoof, through and through. the jokes are some of the most stupid i've ever seen, the acting seems to be quite deliberately bad (we all know that most of the principal players in this movie can act better), and even some big goofs and mistakes seem to have been left in. if you see these things and you think it's a bad movie because of them, you're missing the point. the film is intentionally bad, in the same way starship troopers was intentionally cheesy.

so if you're in the mood for something that you don't have to take seriously (at all), this movie is just the thing. watch it once for all the obvious jokes, and then again to find all the jokes in the background (and there's loads of them).

my favourite spoof of all time. 10/10

dont judge it as a movie!

Author: John Osborne from CANADA
14 September 2000

i gave this movie a nine. You critics out there will say " that didnt deserve a 2. the reason i gave it a nine is because it is a comedy. most comedies arent meant to be good movies they are meant to make you laugh. The director did an excellent job on making you laugh in this parody. memorable line "i am your worst nightmare. No waking up without my penis is my worst nightmare" 9/10 i rate comedies on how they make me laugh not on the plot.

Typical child of the 90s

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
24 April 2011

"Naked Gun"-style parodies were everywhere in the early 90s, "Loaded Weapon 1" is just one of the many. It's not really the funniest of the batch either, but it does have some trademark moments that define why the whole genre was so popular for a month or so. It's a typical hit-or-miss kind of thing, some stuff makes you laugh and some stuff makes you wonder why you're not going outside. There's really only one element in this movie that's consistently funny and unsurprisingly, that's Samuel L. Jackson. The guy just gives any movie he's in a necessary dosage of class, even if it is a poor man's "Hot Shots!". There are also some fun cameos added, but not a lot is done with them. They just go for the "hey look it's Bruce Willis"-factor, which only works up to a certain level. "Loaded Weapon 1" is a fun 90s spoof (they're all fun), but nothing special.

funniest parody ever

Author: kai ringler from United States
6 November 2008

Emilio Estevez, Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Curry, Kathy Irerland, William Shatner, Jon Lovitz, Whoopi Goldberg, the list goes on and on, cameos from Bruce Willis,, Eric Estrada, and John Wilcox, has to be without the funniest parody ever made period, maybe Hots shots 1 and 2 close behind,, oh and yes Charlie Sheen cameo,, what a wonderful movie,, the Wilderness Girl Cookies are being laced with drugs,, and it's up to detectives Colt and Luger to stop them,, General Mortars is William Shatner,, the bad guy,, cameo also by Dennis Leary in here,, this is so funny it would take me two pages on here to list all of the funny one liners,, i can't remember laughing so hard at a movie ever,, it's that good,, i mean today you got let's see date movie,, scary movie.. epic movie,, come on,,, even scream is wearing thin,, here,, this was classic,, and will never be forgotten , at least in my mind,, this movie is a 10 plus plus for me,, go watch it,, and you will see.

Hilarious Spoof!

Author: Jeff from Syracuse, NY
28 October 2001

Loaded Weapon 1 definitely ranks up there with Airplane and the Naked Gun Movies as excellent, hilarious spoofs. Everything about this movie made me laugh, whether it was Tim Curry's Wilderness Girl, Emilio Estevez's trailer turned mansion, or Bruce Willis' well scripted cameo. The matter of fact way that the movie spoofs Lethal Weapon and other cop movies makes it even better. I definitely recommend this movie if you need a good laugh or enjoy the work of any of these actors.

Hilarious

Author: Dave-330 from Chicago, IL
14 December 1999

After reading the other comments about this movie, I have decided that there is a simple test to know if you will like this movie and can waste 3 minutes instead of 83 minutes if this is not your type of movie. Okay. When you sit down and watch this movie, watch the first two scenes and if you think these are amusing continue to watch and laugh, if not then STOP watching this film. The opening scenes of this movie are by far the strongest of the film, so if you hate those, it only goes downhill from there, BUT...

The rest of us will continue to watch this movie and find out that it is one of the dumbest, but funniest movies ever created. Sure, you can call bits and pieces of this film "lame" if you desire, but I still find it funny. If you got to witness the "added scenes" that were in the NBC version aired a couple years back, then you can complain harder, because those were the scenes that were pasted back in off the cutting room floor and it showed. They brought down the film, but some of the hard cuts in the "released" movie were explained, because awful jokes that were thrown into scenes were just cut right out. This is not a complaint, because the video/cable version stays at a fast pace and you have to be paying attention to catch all of the jokes.

This movie is like "Hot Shots" in that it is just done for stupidity and laughs and nothing else. Yes, there is a softball plot thrown in there so that the jokes have a direction, but it is just done for fun. Tim Curry, William Shatner, Emilio Estevez, and most of the rest of the cast look like they are having the time of their lives filming this, which only adds to this film's greatness.

Remember, take the test to see if this film is right for you.

A Classic !!!

Author: Ross Edward Rogers (pvtr58c@prodigy.com) from Howell, NJ
26 May 1999

You'll laugh, cry, hurl, and then laugh some more. This movie is up there in my Top Five Comedies. Now I know what you're thinking... "It's just another dumb comedy". Well, no. That's not quite accurate. This movie contains, Tragedy, a lot of Action, and some Romance too. This movie is a MUST see. This movie is "Wall to Wall" comedy. BUT... Don't just rent this movie because you want a long night of laughter. Rent this movie because it has a decent storyline, great actors, and some twists and turns. Now I read some of the previous reviews, and I can't believe what I saw !!! "It's a misfire... Not Funny". Are you nuts ?!!! To say that about this movie would mean that you have no sense of humor. My Point... Some people can take movies like this too seriously. My advice... DON'T ! DUH !!! This Movie will go down as A Classic !!! I give this movie a 10 !!! --Ross

If you like parodies, this is a must-see!

Author: Raven-59 from Sweden
27 January 1999

Before you watch it, make sure you've seen the lethal weapon series, the die hard series, basic instinct, and silence of the lambs. I laughed ALL the way! It's great!

Funny Funny Funny

Author: (craiglappe@accessus.net) from UNITED STATES
31 March 2003

I'm a big fan of stupid humor and when I saw this movie. I thought it was one of the funniest comedies of the 90's. Samuel L. Jackson was the best. When he's behind the woman and looking at her with a very funny face was too funny. and the silence of the lambs parody was done very well. And when Jackson is on the pot taking a dump and telling Emilio was way too funny. I could never get sick of watching this film.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]