IMDb > Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Loaded Weapon 1

Loaded Weapon 1 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Better than people give credit for...

Author: TheAverageAtBestHulk (Edrayj@cs.com) from Fairmont, WV
6 November 2003

This isn't Airplane!, The Man With Two Brains, , or any number of classic slapsticks, but it is up there, and it is funny. While it has its slow times, it still manages to make you laugh. Great one liners, and wonderful acting make it a solid and worthy buy. Everytime you watch it, you will find yet another smart-ass, sarcastic reply, an offbeat joke or an obscure parody. Loaded Weapon 1 hits and for 90% of the time doesn't miss. It honestly doesn't get enough credit.

Hate it all you want. I like it, and think it's pretty good -- for a spoof.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
8 January 2004

I'm not a huge fan of slapstick spoofs. I love "Airplane!" and the "Naked Gun" films, but it's not my favorite genre.

Ironic, then, that I find most spoof movies enjoyable, at the very least, because they're all really, really stupid. There's more quality in "Airplane!" than, say, "Hot Shots!", but both films are enjoyable, because you have to do absolutely no thinking whatsoever. All you have to do is laugh a few times. And with the millions of jokes (okay, hundreds) per film, you're sure to find at least a handful of things worth laughing at.

"National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1" is one of my favorite spoof flicks. Why? It's stupid, silly, funny, and one of the most enjoyable films available to see. Yeah, it's stupid, like I already said. But it's loads of fun, too. And I don't care if critics bashed it when it came out -- it's still a very fun movie.

Everything gets lampooned in this: "Lethal Weapon" to "Die Hard" to "Silence of the Lambs" to "CHiPs." And, alongside "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"; "Austin Powers in Goldmember"; and "The Player," it has some of the most cameos/stars to date. Get this: Emilio Estevez, Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Curry, Jon Lovitz, William Shatner, Denis Leary, Erik Estrada, Dr. Joyce Brothers, Bill Nunn, Kathy Ireland, Corey Feldman, J.T. Walsh, Paul Gleason, F. Murray Abraham, Bruce Willis, Phil Hartman (R.I.P.), Whoopi Goldberg, Charlie Sheen (Emilio's half-brother)...am I missing anyone? Mel Gibson, Danny Glover and Joe Pesci would have completed this cast. I wonder if they rejected cameos.

Wes Luger (Jackson) has been assigned a new partner, the loose canon Jack Colt (Estevez), who lost his dog long ago and is now mentally unstable. Luger lost his partner (Goldberg), too, and the effects of the past often catch up with him, so far that he finds it impossible to fire a gun without shaking violently and spastic-like.

General Mortars (Shatner) is planning a devious scheme of running drugs through a Girl Scout cookie-type company, and Colt and Luger try to thwart his plan and save the day before it's too late. Meanwhile, they come to appreciate each other -- while lampooning everything in sight.

The most puzzling thing about "Loaded Weapon 1" is the fact that, if you look at most user comments on the Internet Movie Database, they're all quite positive. It has a low standing at 5.3 stars, yes, but the user reviews for the film are pretty decent. A lot of people found the film "funny for what it is." I do, too.

Spoofing a spoof is kinda pathetic, I'll admit. "Lethal Weapon" always was more tongue-in-cheek comedy than anything else. Even as a hard action film it was always winking at the other films of its genre. "Wayne's World" isn't exactly a drama of epic proportions, either, come to think of it. Even "Basic Instinct" is a hard film to spoof, if you take a moment to reflect -- it's never exactly horribly serious. Just sleazy. (I won't ruin how "Loaded Weapon 1" pokes fun at the famous Sharon Stone interrogation scene.)

Yet, in my honest opinion, "Loaded Weapon 1" does a pretty darn good job of spoofing everything in sight. Estevez is a good Riggs-type who pines for his lost dog (not a wife, mind you, but a dog). Jackson -- who's usually great -- is decent as the Murtaugh-type character, although he is shoved aside by the screenplay to make room for Estevez. (Whose brother was just as good in "Hot Shots!", although I think this is a funnier film.) Lovitz, hair bleached (impersonating Joe Pesci from the "Lethal Weapons"), comes across as an irritant sidekick who appears out of thin air only when the plot needs him -- which I suppose was the point. (Was "Loaded Weapon 1" assuming that Joe Pesci's Leo Getz character was an irritating co-star placed in the film as nothing more than an easy plot device? Probably.)

And in one of the simplest -- but also one of the most effective -- scenes, we get the famous bathroom bomb sequence from "Lethal Weapon 2" told in an entirely fresh perspective. Here's how it goes: The door to Jackson's house is wide open. Estevez walks in and calls him. "I'm up here!" is the response. Estevez walks up the stairs, gets to the bathroom, opens the door, sees Jackson on the toilet and says, "What are you doing?" Safe to say, he's doing exactly what it looks like. His blunt reply is one of the highlights of the film. (Let's face it, that scene from "LW2" was destined to get poked fun at some time or another -- I'm just glad it got spoofed in this.)

Spoof Hits More Than It Misses

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
9 June 2006

This is a spoof of the Lethal Weapon movies, along with Basic Instinct, Silence Of The Lambs and a few other crime movies. It's pretty tame profanity-wise, but this spoof is no "family fare," that's for sure. It's also pretty darn funny.

There are a lot of verbal and sight gags, cheap shots and sleazy comments, impossible to catch them all in one viewing. That's maybe the only negative: too many sex jokes which is why this is rated PG-13 (and could easily be "R"). Emilo Estavez, Samuel J. Jackson, Jon Lovitz, Tim Curry and William Shatner all show their comedic talents, as does supermodel Kathy Ireland.

All-in-all, a fun 80 minutes, especially when you are familiar with all the movies they are making fun of in this film.

Stupid, yet funny

Author: Jexxon from Norberg, Sweden
5 October 2004

As several others have pointed out - this is not a very good film. However, it's still pretty darn funny. It's a B-version spoof film, but I still laughed more than on average.

When you don't have terribly gifted writers and/or actors you have to rely on throwing in as many jokes as possible in order to try and get more laughs. And a surprising amount of them are actually very funny (albeit extremely silly, and stupid).

Favourite bit: when Estevez and Jackson are driving in their car and suddenly realize they're being followed - by two guys wearing ski masks, sitting in the backseat of the car.

If you know what you're getting yourself into, Loaded Weapon is an underrated little gem. If nothing else, it's fun to see Sam L. Jackson before he became a "serious" actor. [7/10]

Hit and miss but still very funny

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
3 January 2004

When Sgt Billy York is murdered because she found out too much in relation to drug smuggling, Sgt's Colt and Luger are put on the case. Colt is a psychotic burnt out cop and Luger is 48 hours away from retirement and not looking to get killed for anyone. They investigate and find a sinister plot by General Mortars to bake cocaine into cookies and get girl scouts to distribute it.

All spoofs run the risk of being very hit and miss. The best ones (Airplane, Naked Gun) simply have more hits than misses and keep the gags none stop. Here the ratio is slightly more hits than misses, but not by much. The plot is irrelevant, suffice to say that, as well as spoofing buddy cop movies, it also has specific spoofs that work reasonably well (although the Basic Instinct one has lost a bit with time). The film manages to have a slow start but still be funny, even if many of the jokes you will know from other films of the genre). I love these silly spoofs so I was laughing but if you're not really a fan of spoofs then you might struggle with this one.

The cast is pretty good and is crammed with so many famous cameos I wondered how they did it! Jackson was looking for a bit of variety after several acclaimed roles with Spike Lee and he found it; he shows a good comic touch and he delivers his lines really well - I doubt he'd do this type of film now though. Estevez spoofs Mel Gibson really well and he too isn't afraid to send himself up. Lovitz is almost as annoying as Joe Pesci and does a good impression, while Ireland is nice to look despite not having that many laughs and the fact that she cannot act for sh*t. Curry and Shatner ham it up something awful to good effect and are funny. The sheer volume of cameos (of quality) is amazing and almost all of them bring laughs. Charlie Sheen, JT Walsh, F Abraham Murray, Denis Leary, Phil Hartman, Bruce Willis, Whoopi Goldberg (although she'll appear in a window these days), Paul Gleason, Joyce Brothers and a blink and you'll miss him Christopher Lambert - very impressive line up really!

Overall this is not one of the best spoof around but it does stand out as one of the strongest of the National Lampoon series (especially nowadays!). It is very hit and miss but the majority are hits and they come fast enough to cover the gaps. Silly references or silly dialogue delivered straight - it made me laugh and that's why I've seen it several times. Not great but funny, and all you probably want when you sit down to watch it.

A very very funny, though overlooked, comedy

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
21 April 2001

After watching this movie for an umpteen number of times, the gags have run a bit dry, but I remember first seeing it and I could not stop laughing. The cast is full of grade A celebrities, including Sam Jackson before he really hit big. There are some classic gags. It's all done very low-brow, but in a way that had me rolling with laughter. Go see it! You'll have a great time!

My score: 8 (out of 10)

I liked it very much

Author: Boyo-2
20 October 1999

I am glad my fellow reviewers (some of them) also found this movie enjoyable. It was silly at times but never insulting and the large cast helps greatly. Of particular interest is cameos by Erik Estrada, Dr. Joyce Brothers and Bill Nunn. Even Kathy Ireland manages to be funny! Its not the Marx Brothers or "Some Like it Hot", but for what it is, I liked it a lot.

127 Movies Rolled Into 1

Author: nightrous from Sydney
9 December 2002

Another offering from National Lampoon, this time a mock-up of the classic Lethal Weapon series. Amusingly, they're not the only victims of parody here. Wayne's World, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Basic Instinct, Chips, Silence Of The Lambs and several others have been incorporated into this wildly hilarious (loosely used term) collage of moments. Obviously, not to be taken seriously and only recommended if you're not expecting a movie that offers a deep-dwelling plot. But it's totally for you if you're into a belly-laugh or two. Samuel L. Jackson's performance is laudable and so is co-star's Emilio Estevez. There are countless cameos by many Hollywood stars and all seem to make the movie a little more entertaining in their own typical way. Definitley worth a rent...

Your pants will be dancing with figs!!!

Author: Shawn Watson (gator_macready@yahoo.com) from The Underverse
10 February 1999

Released in the same season as Last Action Hero (another under-rated spoof of dumb action movies) and sharing a few cast members with it too, Loaded Weapon is more light-hearted stab at those horrible 'buddy-buddy'/'loose cannon partnered with old guy days from retirement' movies that were in unholy abundance around the late 80s and early 90s. Lethal Weapon (a film that has really not dated well at all) is to blame for the sudden popularity of this sub-genre and it's at this particular series that Loaded Weapon takes most of it's well deserved stabs.

Emilio Estevez is Jack Colt, a gun-happy cop on the edge who has been walking a thin line between sanity and alcohol-fuelled psycho since his dog ran away. Samuel L. Jackson is Wes Luger, a Detective with only a few days before he retires. His former partner Billy York (Whoopie Goldberg) is killed and he demands to take the case even though his superiors think it was suicide.

And so Colt and Luger get involved in a remarkably silly plot with cocaine disguised girl scout cookies. The evil General Murturs (William Shatner thoroughly enjoying himself) and his henchman Mr. Jigsaw (Tim Curry) plan to lure Colt and Luger into a trap before they foil his next major drug deal.

There are loads of cameos and even more in-jokes than you can shake a stick at. What makes Loaded Weapon better than most other heartless spoofs is that every line of dialogue is delivered perfectly and every scene has it's own special moment (if not more than one). From the hilarious opening in the mini-mart to pretty much any scene with Jon Lovitz (spoofing that horrible Joe Pesci character) there is loads to enjoy. Every aspect and cliché of this unfortunate sub-genre is exploited and made fun of, even the musical score plays a vital part in the humor of some scenes.

Some of the most quotable lines of dialogue include:

'Half today. Half tomorrow. Half on delivery.'

'I'm Detective Luger, this is Detective Colt. These are our wallets.'

'You came!'-'That's personal!'

'Ooware eez tha meecro-feelm?'

'Don't thank me. I'm just a cop doing his job.'

'I'm your worst nightmare.'-'No waking up without my penis is my worst nightmare.'

And of course...

'CIGARETTE!!!'

Unfortunately a decent knowledge of the Lethal Weapon films is required to get most of the jokes in this film but it's so funny that it's worth suffering through them first. It's a shame that they never made a sequel but never say never eh?

if you like the naked gun series then you will like this

Author: Sonya Woods from Hell
23 June 2002

I loved this movie, expecially the first time i saw it. I laughed at every little funny scene they did, expecially when the guy had athlete's feet and when he takes his show off, fire bursts from his toes. and when the guy was shampooing his hair. "hey sarge, it's tingling", "good, that means it's working". I loved how they had the 2 guys from Chips appear in the movie. oh and the guy's trailer, that looked like it was a mansion inside. I'm glad they had tim curry in the movie, he is such a good actor. I loved when he was driving the stick shift car.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]