IMDb > The Mummy Lives (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Mummy Lives More at IMDbPro »

Movie of intrigue

Author: NightwolfSeaman from NY
26 August 2006

I had first seen this movie with my fiancé long after the movie had come out. I watched the movie with him. He had told me the movie was quite good and interesting. He had filled me on what I had missed. I sat through the remained of the movie with all interest. The storyline was excellent and the scenery was exquisite in the movie. Tony Curtis was phenomenal in the move as the mummy, looking for his long lost love in woman who was having dreams of the ancient past. Since I first saw the movie I have seen it an additional two times.

In my honest opinion, this movie is worth seeing. It was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's story "Words With A Mummy". I now own the movie to be amongst my personal movie library. If I felt for any reason the move didn't deserve such an honor with me, I wouldn't have purchased it.

By watching this movie a total of three times, I would recommend anyone who is an avid fan of Tony Curtis and Edgar Allen Poe, to see this movie.

Cheap and Charming Fun

Author: classix_fan from United States
5 October 2014

THE MUMMY LIVES certainly isn't the biggest budgeted or best mummy flick ever made, but it's far from a waste of one's time and it's actually quite fun. I had a wonderful time watching it. You just have to know what you are getting yourself into: This is a very low budget old fashioned PG-13 mummy flick with a very out of place Tony Curtis. Curtis is completely miscast, but he plays his role with such terrific panache it's a joy to behold. You just have to be willing to accept this weird little low budget flick on its own terms. Just sit back and enjoy the modestly budgeted spectacle of ancient ruins, magic rituals, snakes, nightmares, mummies, forbidden love, murders, and blood. It's all very cheap yet charming, and its flaws are all part of its appeal. THE MUMMY LIVES is a low budget affair,but it delivers good fun and is a nice way to spend time on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

The Mummy Lives is quite a different mummy film but Tony Curtis delivers!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
17 December 2002

The Mummy Lives is a good mummy film.It is very different from all the rest.I was very surprised to see the legendary Tony Curtis in a film such as this one.He put on a good performance.The introduction of the film is very interesting with the star and the figures. The woman talking through the prolog sounded quite serious! The music is pretty good.The sets and costumes look like the real thing.I am a very big fan of mummy films and this one is pretty good to watch if you like the other mummy films but like I said its quite different but in a good way!

NOTES:

The picture on front of the box of the film isn't even in the film and on the back of the Tony Curtis' Mummy is seen that looks like the grim reaper or some evil being.This look of course has excellent make up but is only seen for a brief second in the film if seen at all:(

The box looks exactly like a Warner Brothers box but it is from Cannon Video.

Interesting Concept

Author: ghoultown from United States
28 April 2009

It's definitely lacking, with the costumes, lighting and acting. Nediocre direction, and Tony Curtis is definitely miscast.

However, had they been given a better script, and bigger budget, it could have actually been something really good.

Since I'm only familiar with the first Boris Karloff movie, as well as the newer series of course, I'm not quite sure how the Mummy movies work.

But I found it really interesting that the girl who the Mummy's after keeps getting these dreams and hallucinations as if she were mad.

It's a horrible film. It has plenty of potential. However, the fact that it's untapped makes it seem worse than it really is.

A very interesting Mummy (the character)

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
23 January 2015

"The Mummy Lives" is an American direct-to-video flick from 1993 starring Tony Curtis in the titular role when he was 67 years-old. The plot's typical to older mummy movies: Forbidden love in the ancient Egyptian world results in the guilty guy getting entombed alive, usually with the object of his desire. In the modern day the tomb is desecrated by archaeologists and the mummy seeks vengeance. The refreshing twist here is that when Curtis' character is resurrected he looks like his normal self, at least his face anyway; his hands look like death itself. Leslie Hardy plays a woman interested in Egyptology and she may be the mummy's beloved, Kia, reincarnated. Greg Wrangler plays a psychologist who takes interest in her.

This is a drama/mystery with light horror elements so don't expect heavy gore and scares. While it's clearly low-budget, it has numerous strengths, particularly the basic fish-out-of-water plot with the ancient mummy becoming a pretty interesting character in the modern world. I'm not sure how he knows how to speak English though, but I assume the god he prays to gives him the knowledge/power.

In any case, the Mummy's offended by the desecrations of Egyptian crypts and points out the obvious: How can archaeologists justify desecrating burial sites? How much time has to go by for such activity to be deemed acceptable in the name of research and science? The Mummy also makes a great point to the woman: The modern world is science-oriented, but passionless; and without passion there is no life. While the Mummy is a somewhat fascinating character and you find yourself rooting for him, the ending drops the ball. I don't want to say too much, but the Mummy essentially becomes the hero in the film and the filmmakers contradict this by insisting on tacking-on a more conventional horror ending. The film was unique as it was so they should've just gone all the way, if you know what I mean. I wish they had the courage to do this because it could've been a great or near-great independent movie.

Still, there's enough good here to recommend it to fans of unique independent movies (however, if you're addicted to a strict Hollywood "blockbuster" diet, flee as fast as you can). For one, the three main characters are effective and, like I said, the Mummy is an interesting character and you'll find yourself rooting for his cause. Although Hardy is too thin for my tastes, she's a likable and worthy protagonist; and Wrangler is an excellent masculine co-star. Secondly, you can't beat the authentic Egyptian locations. Compare this with Hammer's "The Mummy" (1959), which was shot entirely in England with lame "Egyptian" sets. Speaking of which, people criticize Tony Curtis for being miscast in this movie and yet Christopher Lee played the same character in the Hammer film and no one seems to criticize him as being miscast, not to mention that film is regarded fairly well while this one is typically lambasted, which is odd because -- low-budget or not -- this is the better film. Thirdly, the score is diversified and all-around excellent.

The film runs 97 minutes and was shot in Egypt and Israel.

GRADE: C+ or B- (keeping in mind that it's a low-budget direct-to-video flick)

Extremely dull piece of trash.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
1 January 2006

"The Mummy Lives" is an utterly worthless horror film that is so bad that I almost turned it off after 20 minutes of its projection time.Usually remarkable actor Tony Curtis is completely wasted as Aziru,an Egyptian high priest of the god Zoth,who come back to life as the mummy.He is looking for his long-lost love named Kia and swearing vengeance on the archaeologists,who excavated his tomb."The Mummy Lives" is a total waste of time.The plot is hackneyed and highly unoriginal and the acting is painfully bad.This is also one of the most annoyingly dull horror films I have suffered through.The action moves at snail's pace and there is absolutely no tension.Avoid this crappy howler like the plague.2 out of 10.

Half a dozen major Israeli character actors wander through an abandoned movie

Author: Nozz from Israel
28 May 2010

Evidently thanks to Israeli model turned starlet turned casting director Cheli Goldenberg, a team of some of Israel's top character actors turns up for the minor, otherwise uninteresting roles in this movie. Unfortunately, the movie was abandoned by its originally intended star and director and its budget seems to have disappeared along with them. There seems to have been insufficient shooting time, to judge from the long, cheap, unnecessary opening and the abrupt conclusion. The plot is a fairly standard creaker that could have come out of H. Rider Haggard, but with one interesting twist behind Tony Curtis's character: He is tried and convicted for disrespect of the gods, but he takes his medicine and emerges thousands of years later as their defender.

boredom(among other things)reigns

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
13 December 2007

oh,my word.i don't know what i just witnessed,but i know it wasn't good.this is not a good movie,at all.i'm not sure if i've ever been this bored in my life.it's supposed to be horror movie of sorts.the only problem is,they forgot to put in anything that would be scary.it's also done on the cheap,and looks it.the dialogue gives new meaning to the word abysmal.this thing may have been 95 minutes long,but it might as well have been 95 days,that's how slow it was.Tony Curtis plays a prominent role,but looks out of place in this movie.the only saving grace(if there is in one)is the actress who played the lead female character.she was more convincing than anyone else was.for that,i'll give The Mummy Lives a 2/10.