IMDb > "Lipstick on Your Collar" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Lipstick on Your Collar" More at IMDbPro »

Top Show!!!

Author: sven lobster from Australia
2 August 2005

If you have a vivid imagination and your mind likes to wonder, you will be wonderfully rewarded by watching this Dennis Potter gem! It has a great fifties soundtrack and music numbers that are choreographed with exciting imagination! (but maybe Dennis needed to get out a bit more) The characters are well casted, and there performances, are extremely well delivered. As an added bonus, you get to see Ewen McGregor before he went to the Dark Side! I watched this show when it was first released on television, more than ten years ago, and loved it, and after a recent viewing, found the show had not lost any of it's edge! Maybe hard to find now, but! if you have not seen it, hunt it down! Enjoy!

DVD version needed urgently!

Author: saraz298 from Canada
29 July 2005

This is definitely one of my favorite things of all time to watch--what does it for me, though, is the style and synchronization of the various 50's pop songs that are deliciously sprinkled throughout the movie---simply fantastic-----they blend well with the story and its characters and you are always pleasantly surprised when a new song just pops out of someone's mouth at the (sometimes) most inopportune time. I can't understand why it is not yet out on DVD---I purchased Potter's "Singing Detective" last year and I am anxiously awaiting this one---someone please light a fire under the powers that be in England so that we can all enjoy this treasure in its proper format.

The way television drama ought to be.

Author: cheepnisone from Sydney, Australia
16 January 2005

In my view this is one of Potter's most impressive works. It has been years since I saw the series on television but I remember it became the highlight of my week. The unpredictable plot and the surreal use of day dreams and 50's music was masterful.

Louise Germaine was brilliantly cast as the stunningly beautiful Sylvia. She was beautiful that is until she spoke, revealing the most dreadful accent. A memorable performance. Even back in the early nineties it was clear that Ewan MrGegor was destined to go on to greater things.

Highly recommended viewing.

Its like marmite - you either love it or you hate it

Author: steve-1703 from United Kingdom
6 April 2005

I never liked Dennis Potter until I saw this series. I don't like musicals – the idea of a group of people bursting into spontaneous communal song never appealed to me, but the combination of scenario (a post second world war era where the war is now fought as much in the halls of Whitehall as on the battlefield – and Britain is losing) and music (British 50's) just hit the right note with me (pun intended). The characters are superb (this was the first thing I ever saw Ewan McGregor in) and the situations genuine. The relationships between the junior ranks in both military and civilian life in the era they are set are really believable (so my dad says). I loved the music so much I bought the CD, I just wish they would bring it out on DVD. Thanks Dennis.

Pure Class

Author: fellowdroogie from United Kingdom
12 May 2005

I watched it when it was first televised in 1993 and watched at all again recently. Could sit and watch it again and again. Naked ladies, stuttering Welshmen, war office clerks/professional mimers, creepy old perverts, old school eccentrics...what more could you ask for? A great soundtrack? We can do that. Well written, well directed and superbly acted. It's a shame Dennis Potter is no longer with us, we need more of his ilk to produce top quality TV comedy so we don't have to endure anymore crap we get from across the pond. I think we're getting there with people like Peter Kay. Would LOYC or Phoenix Nights do well in the States? The guy who played Hopper stood out for me, what happened to him?

absolutely brilliant!!!

Author: inframan from the lower depths
30 January 1999

Like all of Dennis Potter's work, this shows us what film could & should be. It wakens all the old dormant brain cells. Yes, imagination & inspiration do still live & are still the main ingredients of REAL ART!!! Not necessarily compatible with democracy, tho, maybe, who knows?

Great Fun.

Author: anonymous from Sheffield, UK
17 November 1998

A tale of youthful lust, against a backdrop of the Suez crisis and national service. Interspersed with some great music of the era, which, for some reason the cast just start singing along to. Seems silly, and it is, but it works, and adds the right touch to the storyline, reflecting all those times when you wish life was a musical.

One of the great Dennis Potter movies

Author: talley-1 from United States
4 March 2006

Super integration of songs and plot, superb acting by all. One of my favorite movies, although it's really too long to be a "movie." Giles Thomas is wonderful as private Francis Francis. I own this one and watch it at least once a year. It's that good. This is NOT a movie for children, as none of Potter's work is. One of the song and dance numbers is integrated into the plot in a most extraordinary way. It's the one in the military intelligence office about Egypt with the camel. The room is floor is full of balloons. When the number ends, and we get back to "reality," Col. Bernwood walks across the floor and kicks a final, pink balloon out of the way.

Whitehall warriors and the Suez crisis

Author: hexa-2 from Sydney, Australia
29 January 2001

Dennis Potter brilliance. The series shows why the Suez crisis was such a disaster with intelligence officers that prove the assertion that the term "Military Intelligence " is an oxymoron. My favorite character is the sex crazed Wurlitzer player from the Odeon. Recommended

Brilliant movie

Author: Mel Summers (melsmmrs) from Bletchley, England
3 October 2002

I believe that for pure enjoyment,and a little nostalgia,this was Denis Potter's best work and, for me, had more depth than "Pennies From Heaven". The individual story lines in "Lipstick" in their basic form were entirely believable and the acting by the whole cast excellent.