IMDb > Lifeline to Victory (1993) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lifeline to Victory (TV) More at IMDbPro »

worth watching

Author: (RLARKT199@ROGERS.COM) from TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA
22 March 2004

Hollywood has released few films concerning Canada's effort in fighting in world war two. This film,Lifeline to victory,will give the viewer,Canada's role,in world war two. A good cast of Canadian actors. This film was released,for the rental market,video stores,in 1995. I managed to purchase a copy of this film,used,at the video store. Some of my American friends,visiting me here in Toronto,enjoyed watching this film. Rarely broadcast on television,if you can rent this at the video,do so. A good film for Canadians,who pride themselves as Canadian citizens. This film received good reviews when it was shown on television. If you find a used copy for sale in the video shops,purchase it.

lifeline to victory 1993 where is the DVD version release?

Author: Julian Joseph Janik (jjjanik@hotmail.com) from woodstock, ontario
20 June 2014

Saw this movie on television when it was released in 1993. I enjoyed the relationship between the captain, petty officer and crew in trying to establish themselves as a fighting unit. Unfortunately, they went through a testing time, with tensions flying, inadequate equipment that broke down, engine failure, nerves were on edge. How much more could the human body take?? When they pulled into Scotland for a refit, the commanding officer in charge was non-too-polite either, in getting the ship repaired. For the Canadian captain, it was another bout of bewilderment and disappointment. In the end, after overcoming all the obstacles, the ship was refitted with new radar/sonar, guns and engines. The captain and crew were now prepared to do the job they trained for. Michael Riley, Henry Czerny give great performances as Captain and Petty Officer trying to come to terms in commanding a ship and ill-trained crew. The H.M.C.S. Sackville was used in the making of this TV movie. Wonderful scenes of her. Overall, I enjoy watching this movie. Don't see too many movies on Canada's role in World War Two. Another movie to watch for is the 1943 Corvette K-225 starring Randolph Scott, which tells of Canada's corvette in World War Two.

Need Help

Author: Martin McPetrie from Canada
4 November 2010

I remember seeing this as a teenager with my father on TV. I know he really enjoyed this film as I did.

Our family comes from a Naval background (RCN) and my grandfather served in WWII in the battle of the Atlantic on the Corvettes and Banger Class Mine Sweepers. I am fortunate enough to have visited the H.M.C.S. Haida which has been restored (Hull) and relocated from Toronto, ON. to Hamilton, ON's peer. It really is an amazing experience to board these class ships and feel what they felt back in those days!

I need help in acquiring this video ASAP for my father and I.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Martin McPetrie

A very well-done production in every respect. Well worth watching

Author: William Underhill from Victoria, BC, Canada
17 December 2001

This is, without doubt, a "must-see" film for naval history buffs and anyone who wants to learn more about Canada's military and naval heritage.

The movie is a documentary drama, so while the broad facts of the Battle of the Atlantic and the Royal Canadian Navy's involvement therein are covered, the main thrust of the movie is to give the viewer a feel for what life at sea was like in the corvettes, and how the RCN's "little ships" quickly proved their value in the convoys across the North Atlantic. The movie takes place aboard a fictional corvette, HMCS Fireweed, and is an aggregate of the experiences of many corvettes and their crews.

For myself, as a Canadian naval history buff, it was very worthwhile watching this movie. A number of my relatives served on these small ships and those who have seen the movie say that it bears a pretty good resemblance to the conditions and situations they remember.

The actual ship shown in the movie is HMCS Sackville, the last of the corvettes, now preserved as a maritime museum and heritage vessel, in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It's worth visiting onboard HMCS Sackville if you should ever chance to be in Halifax.

Quick appraisal of the film

Author: Xlegion from Ottawa, Ontario
11 August 1999

Considering it is "Made for TV" this one isn't too bad. Filmed during the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic it follows the fortunes of the crew of a Canadian "Corvette" during the Second World War. Not a lot of action but the story is well done and has a good "period feel". Some of the scenes portraying the Civilians lot in Scotland are especially moving. The "HMCS Sackville", just about the last World War II Corvette left in existence, was used for the scenes at sea. The film shows the young captains battles against Nature, the snobbery of the British, a defective vessel, and an inexperinced crew. Realistically portrayed and recommended.