IMDb > Leprechaun (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Leprechaun

Leprechaun More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Get "Lucky" with Jennifer Aniston!

Author: alexduffy2000 (alexduffy2000@yahoo.com) from Hollywood, USA
2 April 2004

"Leprechaun" is Jennifer Aniston's only big screen appearance before she became a star on "Friends", and WOW! she looks hot! I'm not a fan of hers, and I've never watched "Friends", but she is drop-dead gorgeous in this film, 23 or 24 years old and just beautiful! Oh yeah, there's a leprechaun in this movie too...

I really liked this cheap, low-budget B horror flick. It's bad, but I'll be darned if it's not engaging and compulsively watchable. Much of the credit has to go to Warwick Davis, the evil leprechaun. It's not that he's particularly clever or funny, but he's very engaging, and in spite of myself, I kept wanting to see where he'd pop up next, even when it was predictable. I want more Leprechaun, luckily(?) there's another 5 movies to watch in the series. This film is the truest definition of "It's so bad it's good" that I've come across in recent memory. A lot of fun!

Well, at least this series gave Warwick Davis steady employment.

Author: Aaron1375
20 February 2004

This movie is not very good, but it is not entirely bad either. It has its moments, though overall it is rather stupid. What we get here is a killer leprechaun so what does one expect? A leprechaun who constantly says "I want mi gold". Not an unreasonable request for the most part, though he does tend to go a little overboard with the killings to get what was stolen from him. Then again he proves to be quite civil if you return his property, unless you short change him. This made me almost pull for the leprechaun to chop open the moron who just had to swallow a piece of the leprechaun's gold. This is not a great or even a good movie, but there is enough in here to at least be entertained for an hour and a half. Plus, Jennifer Aniston is in it too.

funny

Author: pirateonweekends from United States
13 June 2005

this is one of those movies that is meant to be scary, but really is not. i just happen to love that kind of movie. it's great for sitting down and watching with a group of friends for a good laugh. they figured this out later when making more leprechaun movies and not even trying to make them scary. i love the leprechaun series. warwick davis is my hero. if you're up for a good laugh, i suggest getting a group of your friends together and watching this. you must have a good sense of humor and an open mind. if you enjoy this, watch the rest of them. they get more outrageous as they go. i don't recommend this to people who do not find joy in watching silly movies.

Forget about Willow!

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
29 August 2005

One of the most popular Horror flicks from the 90's. It's as bad as you have heard but accomplishes on the entertaining factor for B-movie lovers. If you're a Horror fan you might have not seen this one, but for sure you have at least heard of it. It's cheesy, yes but it's entertaining. At least there's some gore, and a likable villain in the style of Freedy Krueger. The plot is cheesy but easy to follow. You have the ingredients to spend 90 minutes of popcorn fun.

Now, this one could work as an actual regular PG-13 low budget Horror movie. The Slasher genre was dead by then but Leprechan remains as one of the efforts to generate life to the genre.

Watch out for a young and very, very cute Jenifer Aniston and a devilish performance by Warwick Davies.

Horror movie, not short on laughs!

Author: eye-sea from United Kingdom
29 September 2006

Other members of the IMDb may have rated this "1", and that's up to them, but I thought Leprechaun was a real fun horror movie.

I have seen the other films in this series but the first was entertaining.

Low on budget yes, but never boring and always whimsical. Warwick Davis, the small actor who plays the leprechaun, is very good in this role, as he is in all his movies.

He may be lacking in height but not talent.

A brilliant performance by him, and even Jennifer Aniston isn't that bad, and I usually find her a turn off in movies.

Humour, horror, and lots of pace. I gave it 7 out of 10.

Worthless as horror, very entertaining as a comedy.

Author: gridoon
6 January 2003

This movie is not scary in the slightest, unrealistic in the extreme, frequently embarrassing (watch the scene where all the characters take turns hitting the poor leprechaun over the head with whatever they are holding), and, above all, very entertaining! The acting and dialogue are above-average for the genre (a policeman pulls the leprechaun over - in his toy car: "Hey, aren't you a bit too young to be driving around at this time of day. The leprechaun responds: "Well, I AM 600 years old!"), and the action never lets up. (**1/2)

Original story, good gore: not much else

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
11 June 2005

"Leprechaun" is one of the more original horror films.

**SPOILERS**

Ten years ago, an evil leprechaun (Warwick Davis) lives, protecting his ill-gotten cold collection. Today, Dan O'Grady, (Shay Duffin) after finding what he believes are magical gold coins, steals the gold and returns back home, followed by the leprechaun. Ten years later, Tory Redding (Jennifer Aniston (Yes, it's the same one)) and her father JD (John Sanderford) move into the same house, which Tory isn't extremely fond of. Due to heckling from neighbor Nathan, (Ken Olandt) Tory agrees to stay. When friend Ozzie (Mark Holton) finds the leprechaun in the basement, no one believes him. When he finds the sack of stolen gold coins, he tells his little brother Alex (Robert Gorman) and they take it to get it evaluated. The leprechaun tracks it down, killing the shop owner. As the residents around the town start to be killed off, Tory and her friends start to realize that the killer is a leprechaun. Understanding the significance of the gold coins, they use them in a plan to rid themselves of the malevolent creature.

The Good News: First of all, I want to get this out. This is the probably the goriest entry in the series. We have some really bloody kills such as a few really good looking face scratching, some convincing burn marks a face ripped off, a car burner to the nose, and an ear bitten off. The killings did look a little bit more creative than normal, and the effectiveness of them is a real testament to the movie. Another great thing about the killings is that the Leprechaun harmed before he killed. The great special FX is the best part here. This includes the only scare in the film: the recreation of the leprechaun. When Ozzie finds the crate with the Leprechaun in the basement, he leans in closer to hear what the crate is making and the hand shoots forth. The crate is then splintered into pieces as a terrified Ozzie is sent cowering away in fear, with the unbelievable story to tell. The Leprechaun's make-up in this one is perhaps the most frightening of the series. It's probably due to the fact that the film is a straight horror film, rather than the sequels' more hilarious tone. Because of the cracks in the face and the different dimensions it has, with the lighting in the film, creates a really unnerving sight when first viewed. You can tell this was intended to be a great slasher film, as it does follow the slasher rules: the indestructible killer, the false death, the desolate location, the killer chasing the victim and catching them by walking, and the setting up of the sequel. All these things aside, the best reason to watch one is to see Jennifer Aniston in a pair of short-shorts for ninety minutes, as she never changes clothes.

The Bad News: The sequels are what made the series. They were all downright hilarious, which this one really isn't. This one feels intended to be a straightforward horror story, and there are no real big laughs in this one. There are a few funny scenes that definitely show where the series is going, such as a pretty funny scene where Ozzie is drenched in paint after an accident, but the fans who love the series for it's wacky gags and smart one-liners will be lost here. Also readily apparent is Warwick Davis' almost disinterest in playing the leprechaun. I didn't see the glee that he had in the sequels in his performance in this one. You can almost tell that he didn't think this was going to be big and never really put his all in. Another big problem is that the film really doesn't have a lot of suspense or shock scenes. Even the few scenes that follow those conventions are total letdowns. When Nathan goes outside to check on a noise, he wanders around the building for a while before he steps into a clearly visible bear-trap the Leprechaun has set. It's all too easy to see. You would think that wandering around a big dark house after dark would be a slam-dunk scare, but it's wasted.

The Final Verdict: It has a lot of people that are against it, and a lot of people who love this film. It is very hard to determine who will enjoy this movie, so give a rental or check it out on TV. Either way, it won't hurt you too much.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language

You have to appreciate stupid horror movies to like this one

Author: kraziken from Seattle
5 May 2002

This movie is rather ridiculous and predictable. First of all, understand, that there are absolutely no scary scenes in this movie. I don't think this movie would even scare me as a kid.

I love horror movies, and heard a lot about leprechaun, so I thought I'd give it a look. If you are looking for a scare, I'd recommend that you pass this movie up. However, it may be worth while to watch for a couple of reasosn.

Pure curiousity may be worth it as it is kind of funny. It can be boring to you if you don't appreciate this genre. Jennifer Aniston is awfully cute in this movie. I personally thought it was worth while just for that.

If you have fast internet access, I recommend you check out www.cinemanow.com

You can view Leprechaun for free as it is one of their free movie offerings.

it skims that line between being a bad exploitation flick and an uproarious horror-comedy movie with glee

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
31 January 2007

I wont ever get anything worthwhile as far as true scares with Leprechaun. Maybe if I were younger the effect would be with a stronger, stranger response, because the make-up- which is extremely well-crafted- and the un-hinged demented brilliance of Warwick Davis could be creepy for a kid. As an adult, however, a LOT of this is quite silly, the kind of flick that might've been presented as the St. Patrick's Day special on the grind-house circuit back in the 70s. Which means that what it lacks in any sort of quality and carries with idiot characters, it does a good enough job of making up for it as a comedy. There's next to no real character development at all, but who needs with then with a little green man running around...excuse me, riding around (on a variety of little goofy vehicles). The writer's make a self-conscious effort to make it in a predictable style, at least at first (they also waste no time getting to the Leprechaun at the start). The director Mark Jones makes shallow attempts for 'different' angles at times (lets do a quick tilt here, a little extra grand-guignol there), but it's really the Warwick Davis show at the end of the day, and the crazy situations that come out of his dogged attempt at one thing- his pot of gold!

A funnier side too is just suddenly seeing the name Jennifer Ansiton in the opening credits- a first time acting job that feels very much like one. She and the rest of the main human characters are pretty standard as somehow able enough to stay on their toes with such a wretched little s.o.b., but it goes without saying you'll come across the very inane dialog exchange or just tepid moment of "acting" (Mark Holton as Ozzie is an example of this). Meanwhile, the Leprechaun rides his tricycles and scooters, and sometimes runs like hell (in truly over-the-top action sequences), and its usually a gas if not entirely workable as horror. Whatever cheap thrills do come around, its never anything totally exciting. But I wouldn't trade some of the Leprechaun's classically mad turns of phrasing ("This old Lep, he played one. He played pogo on his lung"). That little near 4 foot ball of comedic bravado makes the picture somewhat memorable, and I'm sure I'd have fun again watching it again some time soon. Cleverest bit of old-time cliché logic: the Leprechaun's ability to talk in other voices ala the Terminator as a trick on those around the corner. 6.5/10

first is best

Author: colinwhitefan
24 May 2003

I found the original Leprechaun the best and its not even that great which should tell you about the multiple sequels. I see Leprechaun 6 is coming out which doesn't amaze me one bit, 10 years 6 sequels and one bad series of films. I would watch this one the original, but I wouldn't waste time watching those sequels unless you really want too. Robert Gorman a very underrated child actor does a great job along with Mark Holton another actor who has flown under the radar. Leprechaun has a lot of stupid, crude, and silly things, but I think you would like this original.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]